As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[State of Decay] YOSE available now on XBone/PC. $10 off for returning SoD owners!

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm fine with no multiplayer. There are times when I've only got a bit of time and I don't want to schedule something with friends, or play with randoms.

EDIT: I think Geth agrees with me because he's an AI, and no multiplayer means I'm playing against the AI... right?

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm sure they got handed fat stacks of cash

sorry i mean phat stax of ca$h (fo shizzle)

from MS and Sony to release on their consoles first. Happens all the time and I can't blame them for wanting more money. It'll be on PC in six months and they'll make more the first month then they did the entire run on consoles.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    ...no mutli? So it's going to be a self contained DayZ no-pvp server. My interest for this game just plummeted severely.

Some of their literature makes it sound very much like their is multi-player, but yeah, I just checked, no multi. Oh well. Saves me from being angry about the PC port being a second class citizen.

The PVP in DayZ is the one thing keeping me from ever trying it. It looks horrifically annoying. DayZ with Assholes removed is exactly what I want from this game and the sim and roguelike aspects dropped on top are just the icing on the dick.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm sure they got handed fat stacks of cash

sorry i mean phat stax of ca$h (fo shizzle)

from MS and Sony to release on their consoles first. Happens all the time and I can't blame them for wanting more money. It'll be on PC in six months and they'll make more the first month then they did the entire run on consoles.

At least on XBLA that'll probably be true. Sony is a bit better at marketing smaller games like this on their service. It may do well on the PS3.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    ...no mutli? So it's going to be a self contained DayZ no-pvp server. My interest for this game just plummeted severely.

Some of their literature makes it sound very much like their is multi-player, but yeah, I just checked, no multi. Oh well. Saves me from being angry about the PC port being a second class citizen.

The PVP in DayZ is the one thing keeping me from ever trying it. It looks horrifically annoying. DayZ with Assholes removed is exactly what I want from this game and the sim and roguelike aspects dropped on top are just the icing on the dick.

You can go play on a DayZ no PvP server, realize how horrendously boring it is and then quit. The assholes are the experience with DayZ. The zombies are tangential.

I just have trouble seeing how an open world zombie game with no threat of conflict will be interesting, but I am completely open to being proven wrong. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what people say over the next couple of weeks (ignoring the first week when everyone will be ZOMG BEST GAME EVER).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It won't do well on PS3 because the game is published by Microsoft.

edited June 2013

You can go play on a DayZ no PvP server, realize how horrendously boring it is and then quit. The assholes are the experience with DayZ. The zombies are tangential.

I just have trouble seeing how an open world zombie game with no threat of conflict will be interesting, but I am completely open to being proven wrong. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what people say over the next couple of weeks (ignoring the first week when everyone will be ZOMG BEST GAME EVER).

That's because in DayZ there's nothing else to do except gank each other. The zombies are secondary.

The ZOMBIES should be the conflict, not rabid 12 year olds. Plus there's the personality juggling; your survivors may not get along and start fighting with each other. You have to manage who you have doing what and who you invite in or the whole thing will self destruct.

Magic Pink on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, their FAQ says
    Q: What is Class3, and what is Class4?

A: Class3 was the code name for the single player XBLA/PC game we're building, where you must attempt to survive the zombie apocalypse. There's a storyline, but the main part of the game is a sandbox. It is now known as State of Decay. Class4 is way, way bigger - a massively multiplayer sandbox world. We will be using your feedback on State of Decay's mechanics and systems to make Class4.

Q: Will State of Decay have co-op gameplay?

A: Not at launch. Class4 is an online world, and our hope is to offer the multiplayer options (that we have to develop for Class4) for State of Decay at a later date.

Underlined mine.

That's what gave me the impression that multi was going to come at some point. The FAQ was last edited on May 29, so it seems like it's being maintained; if those answers are no longer accurate, they should probably do something about that.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The zombies are the threat... that, and managing your group of survivors is where your conflict comes in.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Dac wrote: »
    Well, their FAQ says
    Q: What is Class3, and what is Class4?

A: Class3 was the code name for the single player XBLA/PC game we're building, where you must attempt to survive the zombie apocalypse. There's a storyline, but the main part of the game is a sandbox. It is now known as State of Decay. Class4 is way, way bigger - a massively multiplayer sandbox world. We will be using your feedback on State of Decay's mechanics and systems to make Class4.

Q: Will State of Decay have co-op gameplay?

A: Not at launch. Class4 is an online world, and our hope is to offer the multiplayer options (that we have to develop for Class4) for State of Decay at a later date.

Underlined mine.

That's what gave me the impression that multi was going to come at some point. The FAQ was last edited on May 29, so it seems like it's being maintained; if those answers are no longer accurate, they should probably do something about that.

Their wording doesn't fill me with much confidence but it would be awesome to have co-op multi.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    The zombies are the threat... that, and managing your group of survivors is where your conflict comes in.

Fair enough. Like I said, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if those game systems are actually deep and complex enough to keep the game interesting.

They hope to add co-op at some point.

But the game needs to sell first if that's going to happen.

Fair enough. Like I said, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if those game systems are actually deep and complex enough to keep the game interesting.

That's my hope too. The traits could end up being just a slap on variety that doesn't mean much and all the characters end up playing the same.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    This Wednesday for consoles and in 6 months for PC? lame.

I can see why they focused on consoles though... I mean in a few weeks people will be moving on to the newer systems (or so many people believe). Computers will always be there.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Anybody have any recent videos of this? The last video I saw for it had the gameplay looking like a somewhat more polished Fort Zombie (which was... pretty rough), but that was a while ago and during an acknowledged alpha build of the game.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited June 2013
    urahonky wrote: »
    I can see why they focused on consoles though... I mean in a few weeks people will be moving on to the newer systems (or so many people believe). Computers will always be there.

Few weeks? I would eat a fez if either the PS4 or XBox One were out in a 'few weeks'. Unless there is some internet rumor of some credence that I missed.

GnomeTank on
    This Wednesday for consoles and in 6 months for PC? lame.

No, that's just my guess based on other games. Could be shorter, could be much longer.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    A delayed PC release makes sense, from Microsoft's side of things. Releasing it just on the 360 first means anybody HAS to get it there, where the release is more protected from the piracy boogeyman. Then in 6 months (6 months to port an XBLA game to PC? That would be... excessive.) they release it again on the PC and have a number of new customers, plus probably a number of folks who will re-buy the thing.

It's stupid, but there's still some logic to it.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Anybody have any recent videos of this? The last video I saw for it had the gameplay looking like a somewhat more polished Fort Zombie (which was... pretty rough), but that was a while ago and during an acknowledged alpha build of the game.

There's been a lot of coverage at individual sites and youtube channels. You should be able to find a lot of footage.

edited June 2013
    A delayed PC release makes sense, from Microsoft's side of things. Releasing it just on the 360 first means anybody HAS to get it there, where the release is more protected from the piracy boogeyman. Then in 6 months (6 months to port an XBLA game to PC? That would be... excessive.) they release it again on the PC and have a number of new customers, plus probably a number of folks who will re-buy the thing.

It's stupid, but there's still some logic to it.

It's not a matter of porting it; it's a matter of how long the XBLA/PSN contract says they have to wait to release it. I'm pretty sure it was developed on the PC and builds made for the consoles but I seriously cannot find where I read that.

Magic Pink on

Few weeks? I would eat a fez if either the PS4 or XBox One were out in a 'few weeks'. Unless there is some internet rumor of some credence that I missed.

No but people might be less likely to buy a game for a console that will be obsolete by the end of the year... especially if you can't transfer XBLA and PSN games.

I feel like I'm 6 years old again, and Christmas is in two days...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Renzo wrote: »

Hey. Wednesday. Why u no here yet?

What an asshole day of the week, right?

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm 6 years old again, and Christmas is in two days...

I'd recently decided to trade in my 360, at the end of the month, and focus on PC gaming for the next 12 months, before deciding what new console to get.

Goddamn, if that gameplay trailer isn't making my waiver...

If I hadn't bought Remember Me over the weekend, on Steam, I'd probably be buying Xbox Funbux right now.

Guess I'm waiting for the PC version...

I skipped ahead and landed on a bit where he was scavenging in a house. I had to stop when his hatchet broke, and he tried to melee his way out while zeds poured into the house. I'm still at work, and the moans I'm making are inappropriate.

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    This game perfectly coincides with my wife being away on business and me being home all day. I'm pretty sure early Wednesday morning I'm going to run down the stairs kid style to download this.

I skipped ahead and landed on a bit where he was scavenging in a house. I had to stop when his hatchet broke, and he tried to melee his way out while zeds poured into the house. I'm still at work, and the moans I'm making are inappropriate.

Then it's a good thing you didn't see him scouting the area from the cell tower by scoping out individual objects, or the two discussing not even getting to night time yet.

Because the former was rad, and the latter is going to be rad.

So don't get yourself worked up over those great things.

I already knew about the scouting thing. ;D

Wednesday is going to be the best day.

edited June 2013
    This game perfectly coincides with my wife being away on business and me being home all day. I'm pretty sure early Wednesday morning I'm going to run down the stairs kid style to download this.
    I thought XBLA stuff doesn't drop till the afternoon. I've never been able to get stuff on it's release day until after about 3PM.

Magic Pink on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    I thought XBLA stuff doesn't drop till the afternoon. I've never been able to get stuff on it's release day until after about 3PM.

I've bought a handful of stuff off the arcade. I assumed it worked like Santa. It would just be there when I woke up.

I've been seeing stuff drop in the AM.

I had to go searching for Sanctum 2, but Poker Night and stuff have been there in the mornings(9AM eastern).

I've been seeing stuff drop in the AM.

I had to go searching for Sanctum 2, but Poker Night and stuff have been there in the mornings(9AM eastern).

Huh, I hope so. Maybe it's just my region or something.
    my region :winky:

• KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    XBLA titles are usually available around 3/4am PST the day of release.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Watching IGN doing a let's play or stream or whatever of the early part of the game.

Holy shit I am sold. Absolutely completely sold. It's the zombie game we have always needed.

Edit: http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/06/03/watch-a-person-get-torn-apart-ign-plays-state-of-decay-episode-3

I actually wish Day Z had a set up more like this game, with an overall goal but still survival being important. The human element and the fact humans are inherently potentially murderous and untrustworthy is what makes DayZ an incredible and unique gaming experience. Take that away and all you have is an obscenely boring and badly thought out FPS.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited June 2013
    What got me in to DayZ was the notion of a truly massive countryside where you scavenged for gear in brutally unforgiving conditions.

What got me out of DayZ was that it was basically designed to enable Maximum Assholery because of the delusions of the lead dev regarding actual human behavior (hint: just because modern society ends wouldn't mean all society would end; civilization existed for tens of thousands of years before the 21st century, and that was with people much less philosophically sophisticated than most people in the world today). People haven't existed as random anonymous murdering savages since basically forever, which DayZ completely ignores in favor of enabling shitty behavior almost exclusively. The fact that "shoot on sight" is the rule for basically anybody is just... stupid; you can't have the lead dev claiming the game allows for natural human behavior on one hand, and then completely ignores the fact that humans are inherently social and would form the exact kind of long-term organizations the dev doesn't want to support because that's somehow artificial, while respawning and murdering every person in sight is somehow "normal".

I don't know about "truly massive", but I do know that State of Decay won't be allowing some asshole to kill me in one shot to steal my stuff I spent hours getting, so that's a big thumbs up from me.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This game has my favorite type of multiplayer.

The old-school, leaderboard chasing, arcade style of multiplayer.

I need a leaderboard. I need to survive for a 100 days in the zombie apocolypse, and then hop online and see one of you guys survived for 101.

And then spend weeks beating you.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    This is going to be the first game I buy on the 360 in like... a year, probably.

Are you the magic man?
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    I am going to break down and end up getting this on 360 just because I can't wait for the PC release.
    If it turns out good I can always double-dip I guess.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609