As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Look I'm just saying that getting my Blorcs to earn enough SPPs to get Block and then stay alive long enough to earn other skills has been difficult. They knock people down but refuse to break their armor. And then when they get Block they insist on double-skulling themselves.

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Undead would be an option, but the Ghouls seems fragile, which means you only have 4 really solid pieces (Mummies and Wights) if you don't count the Zombies. I like the extra speed though.

Think I will give the Orcs a shot come the fall! At least I should have time to paint the team... I hope.

In the right situation and with a reroll I could see myself doing a handoff to a black orc for a TD. But slow progress is a problem with bash teams in general so whatever I pick will have that issue.

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    Tried out my Chaos Cup DE build yesterday:

4 Blitzers (2 with dodge, 1 with dodge + guard, 1 with dodge + sure hands)
    1 Witch Elf (with block)
    6 Linemen
    1 Reroll

Despite being horribly beaten to a pulp it was a pretty fun game. Really tense in the first half but my undead opponent finally managed to score in his drive. Went downhill from there as he just kept taking my guys off the pitch...

Don't think the build is horrible, though one more reroll would be awesome.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Mago wrote: »
    Page 3? Surely not!

I'm thinking of going for a bashy team in the league next season to improve my Blocking game and get some goddamn casualties and survivability. Elves are a lot of fun, and my Humans were hilarious but I might need a change.

I'm thinking Orcs. Chaos seems so slow to develop and the two Dwarf teams seems, well slow... Is there some other team I should consider?

Orcs can be difficult to play until you've got skills on them to deal with defensive abilities like Block and Dodge. (Block, Tackle, etc.)

Are you shitting me? Orcs are great right along the TV curve. If they could only have 2 Blitzers then they would be skill deficient but because you can have 4, plus Sure Hands on the Throwers plus 4 Black Orcs then Orcs don't have no early weakness.

EDIT: I see you mean against other more developed teams. Sure, but every starting team bar Dwarves has that problem. And Orcs really get turbo charged out the gate by being able to field a full team of positionals and dispensing with the only weak link in their roster, the Linemen.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Lately I've been going on an awesome winning streak with a Norse team. The thing I like about Norse is they have most of the strengths of a Dwarf team with none of the weaknesses. Plus the Yeti with claws is always a blast.

The Orc Lineman is an awesome Lineman. 5 3 3 9 for 50k! The reason he is the "weak link" is that the other pieces are awesome as well...

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The Orc Lineman is an awesome Lineman. 5 3 3 9 for 50k! The reason he is the "weak link" is that the other pieces are awesome as well...

Yeah, I was meaning relative to the rest of the roster. He's still a pretty good lineman, however their MV 5 compared to, say, Human's MV 6 means he's a considerably worse emergency "other" piece. Too easy to outpace and out manouver, Orc teams would have trouble with mobility if not for their 4, outrageously cheaply priced, Blitzers.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited June 2013
    Sure MV 5 is not much, but speed isn't really something that's super-important for the orc team, is it?

I fear I need to get some practice games in to try them out more.

Edit: Spelling? Who needs it...

Mago on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    @Mago A few guys from my gaming group are starting to gear up for Chaos Cup as well. I don't know if you went last year, but they were the "Eh Team" and I think they won a few awards.

I won't be able to make it (getting married the week before) but keep and eye out for those guys this year!

I didn't make it last year...
    396439_3710862262266_1037972374_n.jpg
    246469_3708598125664_1701665709_n.jpg
    527547_3701821796260_1478655306_n.jpg

A shame we won't be able to meet up there @Sharp101

Hahaha, those pictures are fantastic!

I really regret missing out last year, especially since it was Nurgle themed. At least the guys brought me back all the Nurgle swag for my team :P

Maybe I can go next year...

Yeah, it was really fun getting them one after another! :)

I doubt it will be more than a one-time thing for me. Going across the atlantic isn't cheap. :P

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    @Sharp101 congrats on the wedding!

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Ken O wrote: »
    @Sharp101 congrats on the wedding!

Thanks man!

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I didn't make it last year...
    396439_3710862262266_1037972374_n.jpg
    246469_3708598125664_1701665709_n.jpg
    527547_3701821796260_1478655306_n.jpg

A shame we won't be able to meet up there @Sharp101

I like how that one guy's thing is pointing at 2 other dudes.

Yeah, that's my friend who made all of the Blood Bowl podcasters pose with messages to me. :)

It's a good thing I sometimes hold tournaments, it's one of the few times I actually finish a "model" rather quickly...

9026701499_42a2a6d56d.jpg
    NAF trophy + DE wip by magot42, on Flickr

Also some of my Dark Elves are in the background. :P

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Welp, lost my playoff game. 0-1 against Chaos Dwarves. Was doing really great for most of the game - thanks to a +3 FAME modifier (house tournament rules), the Pitch Invasion on the starting kickoff hit 10 out of 11 of his guys, compared to 2 for mine. Kept him from scoring in the first half too.

Second half went much worse though. Made it into his half of the field but then stalled. He killed one of my Warriors, who I apothecaried to a MNG, and then killed another (ironically, the one without any skills). My cage finally fell apart, and the ball bounced perfectly for him, behind his wall of guys. He got it to a free Centaur and that was game. I got no SPPs the entire game, and the roll for MVP (naturally) went to the dead Warrior (who would have picked up Block!).

Still, making it into the playoffs with a rookie Chaos team in our otherwise very competitive league is a decent enough success for me. I'll probably be playing a different team next season anyway.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I don't get rolling MVPs at all. Seems to me like who is actually your MVP should be pretty obvious from the game… we always played it that you agree your MVP with the opposing coach based on whose performance stood out to both sides, occasionally with input from the spectators.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    We roll MVPs but allow rerolls for dead players.
    It gives you a chance to put some star player points on that lineman who might not otherwise get them. The player that stands out as playing the best that game is most likely already getting some points.

I also like to imagine the Blood Bowl offical who names the MVP is drunk and just randomly points at a player.

Comics, Games, Booze
    I think it's hilarious and thus fits fine in the Blood Bowl world.

We once had an amazon cacther in the league get both the MVPs in a game! The undead killed her and made her into a zombie...

So I had some friends over tonight to work on our Blood Bowl teams.

I primed 7 linemen and an assassin and got my test model/journeyman as good as completed:

9078367389_d136490cae_n.jpg
    BB Dark Elf journeyman by magot42, on Flickr

Some static grass once the glue for the flock is dried and some varnish to seal it and it's done! The greenstuffed hand turned out decent and I think the paint job is ok. I want to get this team finished relatively fast. Waiting on some parts from eBay to finish my last Blitzers but I'm packed the rest of the week so probably won't get much work done anyway.

Also, one of my friends brought a cake!

1002404_10151730211052915_2057264248_n.jpg

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Do all dark elves resemble klingons? That armor and the hair really sell me on that interpretation

mrt144 on
    That is an awesome cake. Next time, see if the cake designer can do block dice.

That is awesome, I wonder if they can do spiked footballs.

Comics, Games, Booze
    I think she was practicing in the hope of making a block dice cake for our tournament. Alas there was not enough time... :(

This is the cake she made for the one we held last fall:
    579112_3928491182853_386528169_n.jpg

That is amazing!

Comics, Games, Booze
    Just had a game, my new Dark Elf team against an almost-new Lizardman team. My Runner failed to pick up the ball 5 separate times (needing 2s each time, of course), failed to catch a kick-off needing a 3, and fumbled his only Dump-Off attempt (again, a 1). Had two separate chances to score in the game - one I simply needed a single dodge into free space. 1, reroll, 1. Oh, and winnings after the game? 1.

I don't know if it's the dice or the team that's cursed, but gdamn if something wasn't laughing at my expense.

The infamous Dark Elf curse perhaps?

There needs to be a term for rolling a one, using a skill or team re-roll, and rolling a second one.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    There needs to be a term for rolling a one, using a skill or team re-roll, and rolling a second one.

Bloodbowl as usual.

Our new league starts Sunday. Teams from the Spring Training can carry over. I'm excited to see how many people sign up.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Looks like the league will start next sunday. So I had a scrimmage against the Lizardman player who is bringing his team over from the Spring Training. His Crox has guard and 3 of his Lizardmen had Block. I ended up winning 2-0, but the score doesn't really show how close the game was. I managed to get that second touchdown on the last turn of the game.

Comics, Games, Booze
    So, played the last game of Season 11 with my Dark Elf team. Rough game against a Goblin team. His Chainsaw was amazing in the beginning, and he caged it well. Lost 2 elves (dead) but managed to win the game by luck and some poor positioning by him. 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses is an acceptable season but nothing I'm really satisfied with.

Played the first game of our new season Sunday and I tied. I was never so happy to tie.

The game is Wood Elves against my Dwarfs. They win the coin toss and decide to kick off.

I can't pick up the ball, I don't break anyone's armor. A Wardance leaps over my line and they end up scoring in like 3 turns.
    He kicks off and gets changing weather, Scortching Heat. It lasts for the entire game. Anyway, my second drive is just like the first. My Sure Hands runners can't hold onto the ball. No one is getting past 7 armor. It's bad. He scores again. I'm looking at 0-2.

Third drive I finally start cracking some heads. A Slayer and a Blocker both send people off the pitch as my runner Go-Go Goski scores. There is only one more turn left in the half so I kick off and nothing really happens. The game is 1-2.

The second half opens and my team blitzes on the kick off. He gets one runner downfield as my Dwarfs tie up the rest of his team. A Blitzer and a Blocker catch his man downfield and put him into the dirt. The next turn the Blocker (Garik the Foul) puts the boots to him and knocks the elf out of the game. I manage to grab the ball and score again. 2-2.

Crazy Wardancer jumps over my line and runs it in. I'm behind again, 2-3.

He kick off, the ball lands in the far corner. I've got three turns to take the ball from one endzone to the other. I hang my head low. But the Stoutheart Brewers will not lose to an Elf team, they'd rather shave their beards.

Go-Go Goski runs to the endzone and picks up the ball. The rest of the team gets into position and cracks heads. 2 turns remaining.

Go-Go runs his full 6 and hands off to the Brewers other Runner, Baldrick Butterfist. Butterfist takes the hand off and runs his 6 before throwing a quick pass to Blitzer Kadrin Stoutheart! The pass is complete and Stoutheart runs the ball an additional 5 spaces. 1 turn remaining.

The Brewers try to clear the elves from Kadrin, but he still has one stuck to him. It's do or die time. Kadrin dodges out of the tackle zone and starts his run. 5 spaces. First go for it passed. Second go for it passed. Touchdown Stoutheart Brewers on the last turn! 3-3

Comics, Games, Booze
    I have yet to win with my Dark Elves after 3 games. My Blitzers have been getting what few SPPs I've been able to achieve, save for one lineman who got to six but died before he could skill up. I only just now was able to afford an apothecary. On the plus side, two blitzers now have Dodge and one rolled +STR (which is good in a league with Chaos, Lizardmen, and Nurgle). Maybe I won't restart this team after all.

My team is getting where I wanted it.
    1 runner (Go-Go Goski) has AG 4 and Block
    1 runner (Baldrick Butterfist) has Block and Fend
    Both Slayers have Mighty Blow
    1 blitzer has Might Blow, the other is Str 4
    3 of my blockers now have guard.

Comics, Games, Booze
    On location and all set for the Chaos Cup.

The slaanesh pitch is pretty neat.

Good Luck Mago!!

Comics, Games, Booze
    edited September 2013
    My buddies should have arrived there by now. Look for a bunch of Canadians calling themselves the Eh Team and let them know you know Mike. They should treat you right :P

Sharp101 on