As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Awful Forum Load Times

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
What's going on? This weekend there was an outage, and things have been pretty terrible ever since. Pages take 10s of seconds to refresh...

??

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I keep getting Over Capacity screens -- is there a heavier than usual load lately, or is there a transition going on or something?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Stuff with ropes.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Was curious as the "Over Capacity" links to a Vanilla status that says there's been no problems.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I think maybe we have too many 1s and not enough 0s. Our bleeps are blooping.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm having the same problem since Friday but only when I use Chrome Version 27.0.1453.94 m. My old IE8 at work loads just fine. Also, I'm having a hell of a time actually posting anything as well. It loads forever then just says Draft Saved.

Magic Pink on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The forum has been painfully slow for me since the last maintenance, on both PC and ipad.

I believe it's due to indexing of posts for the newly revamped search, as was stated by Mister Liquid in another thread. Though I could be wrong.

50433.png?1708759015
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    That's long since done. Forum should be running at normal speed since Sunday evening.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yesterday evening and the one before that it was really slow for me. It seems fine during the day, but at about 5ish CDT maybe it starts slowing down.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, it was dragging hard for me last night in the later PM period...Also noticed notifications aren't working all the time for me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I figured it was because we're getting closer to E3 and the boards always get busy around that time of year.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    normal load times for a page for me are around 1-2 seconds (zippy), current page load times (if i don't get a time out) are > 10 seconds, which seems like forever, but is not, but is noticeable.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    normal load times for a page for me are around 1-2 seconds (zippy), current page load times (if i don't get a time out) are > 10 seconds, which seems like forever, but is not, but is noticeable.
    oh just tried posting and got service unavailable...weird!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's dragging a little bit for me right now, ever since the evening started to settle in. Granted during the day it seemed to be fine.

I'm really having a hard time right now, getting Service Unavailable messages quite a bit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I have been getting over capacity pages also, and the occasional slow period; using chrome, haven't tried other browsers yet, but I may if this keeps up.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's really chugging. I'm on Firefox and it seems to be just out there, taking its sweet time. It's the same way on my phone.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Also pretty laggy on Chrome 27.0.1453.94 m, especially loading my profile pages. Best Of is also completely non-functional (blank page) since the weekend.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, trying on IE and Firefox here and it's being really slow to load and access pages. Taking 7-10 seconds from initial click before page switches and starts loading.

EDIT***

And this post took about 20 seconds after hitting post reply.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, this has been going on for me since the weekend. It'll be fine most of the day, but then in the afternoon everything slows to a crawl and/or I start getting "over capacity" messages for a few hours.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth is just diverting server power for...projects.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Geth is just diverting server power for...projects.

Bitcoin mining to fund the machine uprising, no doubt.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, this has been going on for me since the weekend. It'll be fine most of the day, but then in the afternoon everything slows to a crawl and/or I start getting "over capacity" messages for a few hours.

This has been my experience every night since this weekend.

Even tonight, it just started up a few minutes ago. Major lag on loading any forum page or trying to post.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    This is still an issue for me too.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    @IcyLiquid if you just flipped some bits or something the issue seems to have dissipated for now.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Happening again today. Like clockwork.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Happening again today. Like clockwork.

Same.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Seems to start happening right at 20:00 Eastern time.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Posting, notifications, and page reloads have been crawling for me since the weekend.

I will hit "Post Reply" and wait for 10+ seconds before it shows posted. Multiple times I hit the reply button and it times out showing a service error.

Notifications never load. I've stopped using them.

Page reloads take 5+ seconds.

Seems inconsistent. Some pages load fine, others take about 20 - 30 seconds to load, others don't load at all. Also I notice that more than often, it'll end up saving a draft at the same time I try to post anything.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    most pages aren't loading at all now, surprised I was even able to get this thread up

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have a Debug Trace section below the leave a comment box.

6x8A3k6.png

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I have a Debug Trace section below the leave a comment box.

6x8A3k6.png

EDIT: Also, I got this message in a notification bubble in the bottom left corner when trying to make this post:

"Service Unavailable

The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Goose! on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I have also intermittently seen what Goose! Is reporting.

Seems to be calming down a bit, It was pretty bad around 16:30-18:00 PDT

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    So things *should* be much less crappy, speed wise, from today onward.
    Also, Advanced Search is here.

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    So things *should* be much less crappy, speed wise, from today onward.
    Also, Advanced Search is here.

That is delightful to hear. And the speed over the last half hour is decidedly better than it was for the two prior hours.

If you don't mind sharing, what was the cause of the slow-downs?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    Advanced Search required beefed up indexing, which was slowing things down a lot. Then we figured out some magical Vanilla tech to speed those up and reduce their impact on the ole' database.

[2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385) Server: *******.vanilladev.com
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)  > Name     : *******
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)  > Type     : sphinx
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)  > Cluster  : enterprise
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)  > Hostname : *******.vanilladev.com
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)  > Data     : *******.vanilladev.com
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385) Parsing informal configuration files
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)   pennyarcade - /etc/sphinxsearch/customers/pennyarcade
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)   ********** - /etc/sphinxsearch/customers/**********
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)   ******* - /etc/sphinxsearch/customers/*******
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385) Executing merge reindex
    [2013-06-07 02:21:01 000000]( 3385)   pennyarcade
    [2013-06-07 02:29:42 000000]( 3385)   **********
    [2013-06-07 02:30:56 000000]( 3385)   *******
    [2013-06-07 02:33:22 000000]( 3385) Exiting

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    You know, the second someone said "I see a new search button," I instantly knew what the slowdown was.

God. I'm scared of learning more about DB Administration.. yet I have this suspicion it's in my future...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The new advanced search is very nice @icyliquid Good job!

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.