As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    it's like gang initiation, only without the smilies!

how quaint

Pony on
  • Options
    bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What exactly dose a passive Targeter do?

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pisses you off while you try to figure out what it's useful for.

Seriously.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    Mickey EyeMickey Eye Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Activate the passive targeter, then lock someone. They don't know they've been locked. handy for highsec to lowsec gate piracy as passive targeting followed by a cargoscan allows you to know who is worth hitting without them even knowing you are thinking about it. Cargo scanning also does not inflict the wrath of Concord. It's best done in highsec followed by suicide hitting them as they are more likely to be auto piloting.

Passive targeting occasionally gets thrown around as a fleet engagement idea but nobody ever does it because it pointlessly wastes a midslot.

Mickey Eye on
    artillery2.gifmwd.gifcloak.gifrepairer.gif
    Sig images by FooB
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Mickey Eye wrote: »
    Passive targeting occasionally gets thrown around as a fleet engagement idea but nobody ever does it because it pointlessly wastes a midslot.

Plus in a fleet engagement, everybody there is going to be targeting somebody so it hardly comes as a surprise.
    I guess there might be very specific circumstances where a sniper might want to target certain ships passively without immediately drawing attention to themselves in fleet combat so they don't get primaried or ewared immediately, but I doubt it. Probably better to use the confusion of combat as a shield than piss about with passives. A stealth bomber might use one to it's advantage, I suppose, as the less time a target notices you've decloaked and are targeting them the less time they have to respond in kind (also means their autotargeting in response to the threat might not activate as soon, but I'm not sure if that activates if another player targets you) meaning theres a slim hope you could get off a volley and recloak/warp out before getting targeted and raped. But most people agree that stealthbombers are useless anyway so - useful application of a module on a useless ship still = useless.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Probably a dumb question, doing the first caldari cash flows for capsuleers mission, and all it says is that the pirates are in unpas. Of course, I've just spent a couple of hours searching for them and no dice. Any hints?

Nobody on
  • Options
    grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nobody wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question, doing the first caldari cash flows for capsuleers mission, and all it says is that the pirates are in unpas. Of course, I've just spent a couple of hours searching for them and no dice. Any hints?

Have you tried right clicking in empty space? Down the bottom of the context menu there should be a bookmark for current mission locations in your system. clikc that and then 'warp to location'

grumthorn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That would be it, thanks!

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    well, I just lost a 3rd ship to 'warp into a mission, freeze for 30 secs, come out of freeze in a pod'.

Any ideas as to solutions for same would be appreciated. As it currently stands I am about ready to write off EvE as unplayable for me (which sucks as I just got accepted to MerchI).

I'm the only person on my network and no P2P traffic is present (to knock one obvious issue on the head). I have 2Gb of ram, a 2-3 year old processor and a radeon 9800 AGP video card. The freeze most often occurs when a large number of enemies realise I'm there (they get the yellow bordered cursor)

grumthorn on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Every time I've heard that occuring for mission runners (myself included), it was in densely populated systems. I did a lot of missioning in a system with ~150 people in it at any given time, but only noticed it when there was a large number of ships in any given room of the mission, but I hear the more people in your system, the fewer npc ships it takes to freeze people. So..how popular is the system you're in? Because that's the extent of useful information I've heard regarding it, and it isn't much :p

Ranlin on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dying to lag was the biggest reason I left Eve for as long as I did. Doesn't seem to matter how fast your connection is or what your PC specs are the lag will find you.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, get the fuck out of popular empire space. It's lag hell. I run a level II Caldari agent in Borania (or something like that) that has a level I agent with a decent rating as well, I believe. It's in high sec 0.9/1.0 space but is usually pretty sparsely populated and is only two jumps from Amarr so it's handy for tooling up and selling off loot (or more likely selling of minerals from reprocessed Junk because mission loot is lousy).

You can also help out with lag by lowering graphical settings, turning off the sound etc. Turn off layer buffering or whatever it's called, makes things look weird because it doesn't overlap 3D objects properly but speeds things up a lot.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Turning off the "sun occluded by player ships" (I think that's it) option helps performance more than it seems like it should.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just started another trial this past weekend, followed the Goon public page info to create a Gallente blah blah Military, Soldier. Somehow I happened on a cheap Incursus and fitted it with about the only weapons I could afford and find easily and Iridium charges.

Falloff range on these weapons is like 1500m. NPC ships with missles are knocking out most of my shield, even with booster, before I get within 4km. Sure, my gun skills rip them apart once I get there. . . .

But really, should I be doing something different for weapons? Are there longer range Hybrid weapons I should be using?

And should I train Cruisers or Destroyers or skip it all until I get better Electronics/Engineering/Etc. skills? Goon site for Tackling and any more in-depth information is private.

My last 14 day trial (in April) I did Minmatar and had my frigate kicking some ass. This time I wanted to try some Drones, but I can only fit 1 drone in my Incursus/Atron/anything Gallente frigate, heh.

I would love to join you guys down in 0.0 but hate not knowing what I'm doing, or better yet, what my enemy might be doing. Oh, and I might not actually by this game. Just playing around.

Oscreth on
    Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    For Gallente ships, the shields are nothing more than a few free hits at the start of combat. You should get an armor repper and ignore the shield damage. You can try to plot a spiral course for approach, which makes you harder to hit due to transversal speed, but just turning on the armor rep and closing is probably enough.

Hybrid weapons have railguns and blasters. The blasters are short range-- with high skills you'll still be shooting at around 5km. Railguns are a bit longer, hitting from 5 to 20km depending upon skills and ammo selection for small railguns, IIRC. Blasters have names like Electron, Ion, and Neutron (in order of damage and difficulty to fit) and railguns are 75mm, 125mm, and 150mm. Sounds like you are using blasters. They do more damage and are more fun (IMO), but rails might be worth a try.

For training, pick a module that you want to fit and train for it. You won't go wrong with fitting skills and skills that affect a module you are actively using. Learning is useful, too. It's probably worth it to learn the Salvaging skill. Get Evemon and play around with stuff.

You get more drones stuff when you hit the cruiser level. The Vexor is an awesome drone boat. I'd skip destroyers, since they can be a difficult to fit and fly in the best of circumstances. Join Merch, come out to SP, and follow someone around salving stuff. Pretty quickly you'll be rolling in the money.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Iron Ammo = Longest range/Lowest damage (Edit: I never noticed Iron's stats, such a boring element to use in Outer Space, Tungsten is more exotic and sexy!)
    Antimatter Ammo = Shortest range/Highest damage

Also, you don't have to wait to start shooting for the target to be in the optimal range. I usually open up 3-4k outside the Accuracy Falloff distance and that at least starts hitting the target.

Also, there is a high probability if you go out to 0.0 you will spend a lot of time in station staring at your ship. Unless you know somebody, or somebody specifically says they are starting a newb op, I advise setting up shop in Hosh or Mista or somewhere that has a good Agent for missions. A lot of the older pilots are either running PvP ops, or are already salvaging everything they're ratting, and having a newb tag along really hurts isk/hour. Blik Bok, Merchi's Patron Saint of Newbs, has consistently run newb ops, but he can't be on all the time. You really can't do anything on your own in 0.0 until you're in a battlecruiser at least, and there are soooo many support skills you need fly a ship effectively. Also, even if you're just belt hopping, trying to pick up salvage someone else left behind, or get in a little mining between rat spawns, you have to have constant vigilance of Local chat and the various Intel channels or you will get popped by enemy corps or just random player pirates who happen to be passing through looking for pubbie tears. Just get the tackling skills, and Jump clone skills so you can hop out for PvP ops/newb isk ops.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Iron is the longest range tech 1 hybrid ammo, Tungsten is second longest range.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I never noticed Iron's stats, such a boring element to use in Outer Space

Iron is awesome. It's the highest atomic number element that is created outside of supernovas. I enjoy reminding people that every atom in their body with a higher atomic number was once part of a very very large explosion.

I have no idea why I felt the need to share that, carry on.

grumthorn on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So i've been flying my cruiser around on level 2 missions with all tech 1 modules. I have about 1 mil SP in gunnery & 1 mil in learning, then 1 mil in assorted support skills.

Question is: should I start blowing my ISK on Tech 2 modules and start trying to do L3 missions? or keep saving up ISK for a BS & Tech 1 modules?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So i've been flying my cruiser around on level 2 missions with all tech 1 modules. I have about 1 mil SP in gunnery & 1 mil in learning, then 1 mil in assorted support skills.

Question is: should I start blowing my ISK on Tech 2 modules and start trying to do L3 missions? or keep saving up ISK for a BS & Tech 1 modules?

I found level 3 missions very tough going in a cruiser ( but I only have 1.3 x10^6 SP total). I think you'd have better luck detouring via battlecruisers and then starting the level 3 missions which wil give you plenty of cash for the eventual BS.

grumthorn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Agreed. I'm flying level 2 missions in a Caracal at the moment and it's ridiculously easy. I just drop in and start shooting everything I see with assault launchers. Occasionally they get on top of me but so long as I'm fitting the correct resists it's fine.

A quick scan of eveinfo.com's mission database suggests that level 3 missions will mostly be similar enemies - frigates with the occasional bastard hard frigate (ie loyals in the case of Sansha missions) and a smattering of cruisers. You could probably take these on in a Cruiser with a t2 tank but to be honest the numbers of enemies are what's going to get you and even if you don't get swarmed and killed by dozens of frigates, it's going to be a hell of a lot faster in a Battlecruiser plus you should have a couple of spare slots for salvaging to vastly improve your income per mission.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    OMG.. so I just tried out the EFT - EvE Fitting Tool

It kicks the crap out of the old Ship Fitter that was in Java.

... Also, I really need to finish Hull Upgrades 5 so I can start working on my Laser Specializations (anyone have any tips on whether to go Beam / Pulse? My personal preference is Beams pew pew)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I've finally got a little more time on my hands to give EVE another try. I'm not sure what direction I want to go in but hopefully I'll figure it out...

Question: What should I spend my ISK on initially? Two days in and I've got most skillbooks to cover the rest of the trial and should be able to afford my int and perc +3's soon enough. I wouldn't feel right feeding myself to low sec pirates until I can at least fit a few modules to whatever ship I can fly.

If you see a flaming Imicus and random idiocy from someone named Evja, it's not me! =)

Morturus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Make sure your ship is insured and that you have a clone, then once you have a couple million isk you should decide if you want to stick with the game or not, the advanced learning books cost 4.5 mil isk each, and if you plan on sticking around for 6 months + you will want to train those.

Other than that, try to buy a spare frig and modules, leave 'em in the hanger, then start buying a cruiser and its mods, again leaving in the hanger till you can fly it. Once you have all that you should be well on your way to either tackling or ratting and missioning.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow, I have a feeling I'll be spamming this thread with questions now that my ships are going to start costing 50mil to buy and fit...(remember i'm flying amarr so cap can be an issue)

What are the better hardeners / resist modules for tanking armour? is the energized plate or the armor hardeners better? what are the pros and cons of each?

What is the better weapon system to specialize in? beam or pulse? i have a preference for beam so that i can shoot at a greater distance and the transversal doesnt effect me as much.

Should I buy 3 of each hardner plus damage control and swap them around depending on missions?

I have been reading some of the fitting guides in the Eve-O forums, but I cant always translate all the acronyms :(

Edit: Trying to find a good fit for a Harbinger & Prophecy & Drake (passive tank)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Energized Plates don't use cap, and can give all-around resists instead of resists to a single damage type. They are also boosted by the 4 armor compensation skills in the Mechanic tree. Once all 4 armor compensation skills are at level 4, Tech 2 Energized Adaptive Nano Membranes (EANM) give you more total resists than any active hardener. They are subject to stacking penalties, however, making more than two at a time pointless, since a tech 2 Damage Control will boost your armor resists more than a tech 2 EANM, and give shield and structure resists as well, for less CPU cost and essentially free cap consumption.

That said, there are cases where you'd want to fit 4 active hardeners instead of 2 EANM's and a DC, but those are usually limited to ratting/missioning in battleships with 7 or more low slots.

Pulse/Beam aren't better or worse than the other. Pulse is more DPS, more tracking, less range, and I believe a bit less up front damage (known as alpha). For small gangs where you're warping on top of bad guys, or camping gates, pulse is usually better. For fleets beam is your only option, and beams have uses in small gangs as well. Basically, choose what you want to do first, then fit the appropriate weapon.

For most missions, you will want active hardeners, yes. 4 active hardeners may be better than 3 actives and a damage control, especially if the rats (NPC's) have two damage types. For missions you want to focus on armor or shield exclusively, and get your resists to the rat damage to maximum, completely ignoring the other damage types.

Passive tanks are easy. Fit shield extenders first, until you're almost out of power grid. Then fit active shield resist hardeners. Then fill your lows with shield power relays (SPR), except maybe one slot for a damage mod. Test your ship and see if you can run your active shield hardeners forever. If you can't, swap a shield power relay for a power diagnostic system (PDS). Do this one by one until your cap never drops below 30% will all the hardeners on. Once that's done, if you can swap a shield hardener for another shield extender, do so.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    OK, so far for the energy weapons i'm seeing:
    Beams:
    -Pros: Double range, Double falloff
    Pulse
    -Pros: Better tracking (almost 3x), Faster cycle time(15%), Almost half cap cost, less powergrid & cpu
    (wow, thats a pretty big disparety just to get some extra range, good thing i havent started speccing up beams yet, they have the same alpha strike too, just the beams get to do theirs earlier from range)

For the Active Hardeners vs Energized Plating, the AH are 62% more CPU for 65% more resistance, pretty even i think. The bonus being so far the EP have the Adaptive which will cover multiple resists for one slot.

Also, I cant seem to get all of my resists past the 72/76/73/71 mark, but I hear about people hitting all 99%? or is it just they hit all 99% for that specific missions resists?

(edit: good point about the skills improving the energized plates, also that makes more sense regarding the resist question)
    (edit2: doh, changed ship to one with resist bonus and tweaked resists to 81/85/83/82)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Range is more powerful than you think. Any time there are multiple targets you want to shoot, then you have to worry about how long it'll take you to shift to the next targets. Doubling the range increases your coverage of the battlefield by eight fold without moving. The larger, slower, and less agile the ship the more advantageous it becomes. Short range, high damage weapons really shine when you're throwing a lot of power onto a very small number of targets, such as solo pirating, belt ratting, or small gang.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm thinking of going permament with my trial account, so a quick question: Before I think about applying to merch, are there any skills I should have/be looking for?

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Spy IV

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    shoot, I only have spy III trained :(

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Warp Scrambler + Webifier + Micro Warp Drive/Afterburner = PvP in one day

Beyond that Hull Upgrades, Mechanic, Shield Upgrades, Engineering, Electronics and alot of other base skills for getting more powerful ships and equipment to fit on them.

Learning skills are good for speeding the process up if you plan on sticking around for 6+ months, but they take almost a month to fully train up.

Most importantly
    Load up Eve Fitting Tool, build a ship and modules, then go to EveMon and select all the skills you need to make it happen!

Edit: Lemme know if you want links to Eve Fitting Tool or EveMon.. I may edit them in later too.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know, I am sick of being dependent on empire space for income, so...

What's a good solo rat set-up for the 'cane? or should I just go for a 'phoon?

eatblueshell on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What are you ratting, Angels or Sansha?

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Warp Scrambler + Webifier + Micro Warp Drive/Afterburner = PvP in one day

Beyond that Hull Upgrades, Mechanic, Shield Upgrades, Engineering, Electronics and alot of other base skills for getting more powerful ships and equipment to fit on them.

Learning skills are good for speeding the process up if you plan on sticking around for 6+ months, but they take almost a month to fully train up.

Most importantly
    Load up Eve Fitting Tool, build a ship and modules, then go to EveMon and select all the skills you need to make it happen!

Edit: Lemme know if you want links to Eve Fitting Tool or EveMon.. I may edit them in later too.

I'm caldari if that helps with anything, I have mechanic, shield upgrades, engineering and electronics. I haven't been able to find a salvage book for a good price or I would have picked it up.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, surprisingly alot of the "new player" skill books are fairly expensive, like the advanced learning are 4.5 mill each and the Salvage book is 1 mill... so essentially a new player is looking at 20 million isk just for the skill books to get them off to a good start.

Some of the "core" skills would be:
    Electronics - 5% bonus to ship CPU
    Energy Management - 5% bonus to ship cap size
    Energy Systems Operation - 5% reduction to cap recharge time
    Engineering - 5% bonus to ships powergrid
    Shield Management - 5% bonus to shield HP
    Shield Operation - 5% reduction in shield recharge time
    Weapon Upgrades - 5% reduction in Turret and Launcher CPU fitting
    Hull Upgrades - 5% bonus to armor HP
    Mechanic - 5% bonus to structure HP
    Evasive Maneuvering - 5% better agility
    Navigation - 5% faster ships

The "core" skills are always important for everyone, even if you use shields the armor and structure skills are good for survivability if someone gets through your shields.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    YEa, I suppose I should have mentioned the rat types.

In my cane I'd probably be doing more angels, but both setups would be good to hear.

eatblueshell on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Standard Ratting Cane:

6x 425
    2x Medium Nos

1x 10mn AB
    3x Cap Recharger

2x MAR
    4x Armor Hardener (2 explosive/1 kin/1 therm for Angels, 2 EM/2 therm for Sansha)

6x Warriors for Angels, Hobgoblins for Sansha

Upgrade to T2 asap, especially the tank.

If you're feeling rich, here's a fun setup that could work for Angels as well:
    sexy.jpg
    What you can't see are the three shield extender rigs.

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, well that's not too bad price wise for 0.0 sec ratting, though I am nowhere near tech 2 tank skills.

All of my training is going into gunnery and engineering(mostly grid).

I just want to be self sufficient cash wise when I get to 0 -sec. Or at least be able to, you know, for the down times...

eatblueshell on
  • Options
    MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well I'm just about sick of running level 1's and have the standing to jump up to level 2's.

Would a Vexor relying on drone damage with something like:

Lows: MAR, 3 x energized whatever plating
    Mids: AB, 2 x Cap Recharger I
    High: something to grab aggro

Work?

Ya there are better setups, ya I have no SPs....

Morturus on