As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[State of Decay] YOSE available now on XBone/PC. $10 off for returning SoD owners!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Nalouto wrote: »
    trying to think of Toddler Zombie distraction techniques so I can lure my 3 year old away from the TV long enough to download this.

He can't see a bar fill up for 2 hours?

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    He probably wants to watch Thomas on Netflix instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Can't the Xbox do both? Or does it not work that way?

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Found a snubby revolver and a kukri while exploring cabins in the mountains. Fuck yes this game was made for me.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So... here i am, crouching in the bush and pissing myself as i pray this passing zombie horde doesnt notice me.

Man, this is great.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Queued up the demo from the site so all I have to do is turn on the xbox.

In about 8 hours.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Haha oh man, a guy just got literally torn in half in front of me. That sucks.

Are you the magic man?
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    God damn this is a harsh torture sitting at work, reading tiny snippets of the game I WANT SO BAD RIGHT NOW

Fun Fact - I remembered to queue up the download this morning before I left for work, but forgot my lunch and glasses.

Priorities! I haz them.

• KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    People who have this, so do you start at random locations?

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    Looks to be linear at the beginning. My controller battery died in the middle of the first fight so I died right away.

Other than that the only real complaint I have is the save system leaves a lot to be desired. You never know when it might save, so if you need to quit the game suddenly you can lose a lot of progress.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Had a chance to play some earlier! The Car Door has to be the most overpowered weapon in this game so far. Plow through a few zombie hordes head on and the car's almost done. Door em? Not even a scratch. :O

I'm assuming that the game opens up a bit more later? I stopped...
    at the mention of the army setting up camp? But I did not go to the vet yet since I gathered some supplies.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

No, you always at start the same place with the same character.

This game is a blast, my guy can take out a swarm of zombies now, but I got hurt and my HP is capped at 80% and Stamina is capped to 60% due to that, I hope I can use the priests ability soon
    once a day, you can spend 5 community points on getting him to remove damaged stamina and HP gauges. (Essential for a certain achievement)

I've tried looting a gas station with a thief, jumping over a bridge with a slow ass truck (then I tried jumping back and crashed in the river) a great way to get rid of zombie infected places
    is to use your car horn and wait for them to get outside and just run them over, was alot easier than when I tumbled into an infected house alone and got jumped by 10+ zombies, I barely survived that.

Sirialis on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

This game is a blast, my guy can take out a swarm of zombies now, but I got hurt and my HP is capped at 80% and Stamina is capped to 60% due to that, I hope I can use the priests ability soon
    once a day, you can spend 5 community points on getting him to remove damaged stamina and HP gauges. (Essential for a certain achievement)

I've tried looting a gas station with a thief, jumping over a bridge with a slow ass truck (then I tried jumping back and crashed in the river) a great way to get rid of zombie infected places
    is to use your car horn and wait for them to get outside and just run them over, was alot easier than when I tumbled into an infected house alone and got jumped by 10+ zombies, I barely survived that.

WHY IS THIS NOT ON THE PC YET WHAT THE &$&#*&^*$*^##

(Game sounds brilliant)

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I say chaps, would one of you be kind enough to jot down a quick PM to myself and catch my attention once this diversion becomes available for personal computing devices? That's a good fellow.

edited June 2013

How to use horn? Cars are the best weapons in the game already... with the lure... :P

I'm also wondering if they expound on the realtime day consumption of resources somewhere? If I don't play the game for a week, is everybody going to starve to death or something? lol...

tastydonuts on
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

How to use horn? Cars are the best weapons in the game already... with the lure... :P

I'm also wondering if they expound on the realtime day consumption of resources somewhere? If I don't play the game for a week, is everybody going to starve to death or something? lol...

Its either the left or the right thumbstick button that is the car horn, the other is the cars headlights and while out of cars, its your flashlight toggle (which can also be used as a lure)

I built a workhouse or whatever its called, you can upgrade it later and do improved car repairs apparently, for now I'm making a fortified watchtower with a sniper and planting food crops.

I really think they should have made this a full game instead of a XBLA game, but if this game does well, they just might do that.

Sirialis on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

I think it's "realtime" as in while you are playing the game, not real life time.

A few thoughts:
    You hold Y to search for loot at specific spots, not as fun as looking around yourself... but it does take time and makes noise (you can loot fast, but it makes more noise), so it ends up being pretty tense.
    Having AI friends around is very helpful in fights. Not only do they attack, but they can hold zombies for you to one shot, and they are pretty good at letting you know which direction zombies are.
    Your inventory is pretty limited, and most places will have 1-3 large bags of supplies. You can only carry one of these large bags at a time, so you either have to make a few trips, or even better, send AI to go pick them up.... which you can sit and watch them leave the safehouse, travel to the area, and spend some time searching around for the big supplies.
    It's a lot more RPGish than you would think. Characters have different things they are good at and different personalities, which sometimes causes conflicts you have to deal with. Lots of safehouse management. You have to decide which addons to build (medical tent, workstation, etc), manage supplies, individual items, etc.

Things I'm ok with, but other people might not be:
    The game looks good for XBLA, but if it was full priced people might have issues with the graphics
    Some jankiness... a few visual clipping issues (hasn't effected combat yet), no friendly fire so you see a lot of melee weapons swinging through friendlies
    It feels like it's going to be similar to Dead Rising with how it handles quests. There are way to many quests to do and I'm pretty sure a lot of them are time sensitive.
    The voice acting felt a little stale at first, but it's grown on me

Ratsult2 on
    edited June 2013
    Yea. I'll try the left stick, right is flashlight IIRC.

Also, flashlight is wonky (turned it on once and aggro'd a zombie outside a garage with no windows, through a fence?)

You can also shove zombies through windows without breaking them in some structures. Small things, I've noted but nothing major.

I really doubt that this game would sell well at a retail price point. hell, being priced at 1600 is a massive strike against it, and that's just "platinum hits" pricing... Hopefully there will be enough people who buy it at their price point, because I would love to see more of it. but I doubt it. :(

It's gonna die a "I'll wait until it's on sale" death.

tastydonuts on
    Played for a couple of hours now, first impressions:

-While it is not as slick as a full title, it is THE type of zombie game I've been waiting for
    -Takes the feel of The Walking Dead game, but mixed in with the arcade style of Grand Theft Auto and the depth of an RPG
    -This is a steal for 1600 MP
    -Controls can be a bit floaty at times, fell off the cell tower due to it not being very responsive
    -Has a surprising amount of depth with the skills, weapons, and locations
    -This was made by people who are passionate, it's not a cash grab

• ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    I only found out about this game yesterday. It looks awesome from everything I've seen so far. Can't wait to get done with work so I can try it out.

Yeah, this is definitely an RPG over everything else.

Are you the magic man?
    edited June 2013
    Daaaaaaaamn, just found 3 4 5 6 pistols in some farmhouse. I think it had like half the pistols in the game.

RocketSauce on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    graaaaah give me the pc version!

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Daaaaaaaamn, just found 3 4 5 6 pistols in some farmhouse. I think it had like half the pistols in the game.

Is this the same farmhouse or something?

In my play this morning I did clean a building to be used as an outpost, when do you get that option?

Lastly any info on how realtime progression of time impacts your supplies?

edited June 2013

In my play this morning I did clean a building to be used as an outpost, when do you get that option?

Yeah, they were all in the same one. Spoilering just in case:
    Glock 19, Glock 26, X-Tac, little X-tac, snub .22 revolver, Sig 229, and 2 1911s. It's southeast of the first little town you go to. If you follow the main road that direction, you will pass a lookout spot, then a little pond. It's on the left, up a side road a bit. It was swarming with walkers and beat my car up pretty bad, but it was worth it.

I don't know when you unlock the outpost, but you have to build up influence to use it. Press the bottom d-pad button to bring it up. It's nice to be able to store your loot, rather than pick and choose what to bring back. Also, you have to complete all of the searchable places before it will give you the option.

RocketSauce on
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    The little references to zombie media in this game are the best.

Behind one house there's a row of sunflowers with two lawnmowers parked behind

Across the street is a house called the Kirkman Residence

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS

Glock 19, Glock 26, X-Tac, little X-tac, snub .22 revolver, Sig 229, and 2 1911s. It's southeast of the first little town you go to. If you follow the main road that direction, you will pass a lookout spot, then a little pond. It's on the left, up a side road a bit. It was swarming with walkers and beat my car up pretty bad, but it was worth it.

I don't know when you unlock the outpost, but you have to build up influence to use it. Press the bottom d-pad button to bring it up. It's nice to be able to store your loot, rather than pick and choose what to bring back. Also, you have to complete all of the searchable places before it will give you the option.

I'll have to check it out as I explore.

Can you put stuff in trunks? I didn't try it but that would make carrying rucksacks back to base a lot easier than making multiple trips.

Can you put stuff in trunks? I didn't try it but that would make carrying rucksacks back to base a lot easier than making multiple trips.

Once you establish a base, a gear locker will appear. That's the only way to store stuff.

Once you establish a base, a gear locker will appear. That's the only way to store stuff.

Yea, I have a base. But when scavenging I can only carry one type of supply supply at a time. For example, there's a place with a unit of construction mats and gas, to get both back I have to either leap frog the rucksacks, or make two trips. Just think of how many houses you could pick clean if you could toss the resources in the bed.

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Giant Bomb is running a live quick look for this in about 25 minutes.

I want to watch it even though I know it won't be a help to the whole " wait to play it " thing I have going on.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    This needs to be out on PC.

I wonder if it can be modded...

And then we'll get a SoD Nexus. And then tons of weeaboo sex mods.

I can't wait.

I can't wait.

Only on Windows 8

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I can't wait.

Only on Windows 8

A sadly likely scenario, but good luck to Microsoft trying to keep it there. If the entire history of the internet has shown us anything, a bunch of unpaid nobodies with a bunch of free time always beat a bunch of workers trying to enforce stupid paradigms.

Anyway, it turns out that having allies in the blast radius of an explosion you cause will damage a relationship. Who knew?
    I did, actually. The part I didn't know is that the giant fuel container could explode from stray buckshot.

SURPRISE.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

Outposts have lockers. You don't need to actually move your base to set one up.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS

I can't wait.

Only on Windows 8

A sadly likely scenario, but good luck to Microsoft trying to keep it there. If the entire history of the internet has shown us anything, a bunch of unpaid nobodies with a bunch of free time always beat a bunch of workers trying to enforce stupid paradigms.

Anyway, it turns out that having allies in the blast radius of an explosion you cause will damage a relationship. Who knew?
    I did, actually. The part I didn't know is that the giant fuel container could explode from stray buckshot.

SURPRISE.

Ha. I was reading an article on Kotaku about one such person and I thought about how irked I'd feel if someone did that to something that I worked on and then tried to justify it like that. :P

And...
    yea, that's a no brainer! :P

I think how they handle zombie bites is interesting too... or at least how they explain the passive plot armor with the "Mauled" status affliction. It seems to imply that the infection can be beat with antibiotics. We'll see how it works in terms of plot (and an achievement suggests it will fail in at least one instance) though.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    The little references to zombie media in this game are the best.

Behind one house there's a row of sunflowers with two lawnmowers parked behind

8->

• Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    I need a handful of GOB's Forget-Me-Now pills just to get through the day till I can play.

I'm torn between actually reading/watching vids on it (stratching that itch), or ignoring everything and having delicious fresh experience untainted by the outside world when I get home.

I'm choosing the latter, hence the pills...

well at least I have a dozen twitch streams I can watch until the pc version comes out.

All the while, screaming at the screen because they keep missing shit to read their stream chat.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Or that they keep missing the 'call runner' button when they find materials, and instead, keep busting them open.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    I need a handful of GOB's Forget-Me-Now pills just to get through the day till I can play.

I'm torn between actually reading/watching vids on it (stratching that itch), or ignoring everything and having delicious fresh experience untainted by the outside world when I get home.

I'm choosing the latter, hence the pills...

Taste the happy, Michael.

This game would make an excellent base for a written Let's Play, I'm realizing.

Are you the magic man?