As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So I just started a Draenei priest. up to 10 so far today. I was planning on going Shadow anyways, but whats a good leveling spec specifically?

this gets brought up all the time. have a look through the last five pages of this thread, i'm almost certain it was discussed recently

exis on
  • emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    zomg... on another of my forums someone just started a thread saying disc was the most powerful spec. at first i thought he was a troll, but he's taking the time to actually argue with everyone.

my brain assploded

emperorsargosa on
    edited August 2007
    exis wrote: »
    So I just started a Draenei priest. up to 10 so far today. I was planning on going Shadow anyways, but whats a good leveling spec specifically?

this gets brought up all the time. have a look through the last five pages of this thread, i'm almost certain it was discussed recently

i love it when people take the time to be a smartass when a quick answer probably would've been just as useful.

level as shadow, nuff said.

emperorsargosa on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

i love it when people take the time to be a smartass when a quick answer probably would've been just as useful.

That wasn't terribly smartassy, but yes, level shadow without a doubt.

Also, buy a good wand.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited August 2007

Erm. I'd say someone saying "level as shadow, nuff said" is being a smartass. He wants to know what "a good leveling spec specifically" is, "shadow", is not an answer. And I'm not going to link directly to a spec, because there are slightly differing ideas, which were discussed quite fully somewhere in the last five pages of this thread. I was trying to direct him to the several posts discussing the finer points in levelling shadow priests recently, instead of something something vague and useless like SHADOW.

exis on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Here I'll answer:

Get wand spec and mind flay first. Then turn it into something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVMrzhxZZxMGtMtR0tVo

You can't really go wrong with most of the shadow tree. It can be tweaked according to whether or not you plan to pvp or instance a lot.

Medopine on
    edited August 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Here I'll answer:

Get wand spec and mind flay first. Then turn it into something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVMrzhxZZxMGtMtR0tVo

You can't really go wrong with most of the shadow tree. It can be tweaked according to whether or not you plan to pvp or instance a lot.

I'd take Blackout over Shadow Focus, pre-70. Silence is handy, but can be skipped while levelling without much of a loss, so you can drop the spare two points into Shadow Focus anyway. Personally I don't like Imp. Mind Blast. It's so inefficient with an already lacklustre grinding speed. Which is why I'd put those three points into Focused Mind post-40. That's up for discussion though; it's been a long time since I levelled.

At some point you should be picking up wand spec, the rest of Discipline can be ignored until about 55+.

exis on
    edited August 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Here I'll answer:

I'd take Blackout over Shadow Focus, pre-70. Silence is handy, but can be skipped while levelling without much of a loss, so you can drop the spare two points into Shadow Focus anyway. Personally I don't like Imp. Mind Blast. It's so inefficient with an already lacklustre grinding speed. Which is why I'd put those three points into Focused Mind post-40. That's up for discussion though; it's been a long time since I levelled.

At some point you should be picking up wand spec, the rest of Discipline can be ignored until about 55+.
    Yeah a lot of it comes down to personal preference, personally I love me some silence.

As long as you don't take Imp Fade, you'll be fine heh.

Medopine on
    edited August 2007
    I have put my official notice in to the officers of my guild that I will be switching from raid healing to shadow priest. I'm tired of healing and how critical any of your mistakes can blow up to be.

So, time to start crafting my shadoweave, spellstrike, and ruination... and time to join the darkside (in 4 weeks so they can find replacements)

emperorsargosa on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadow priesting is just as bad. You're just going from watching health bars to threat bars.

xzzy on
    edited August 2007
    Don't listen to him, it's fun as fuck.

Medopine on
  • poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was in a group today for Tidewalker with another very well geared shadow priest. It was so ridiculously overpowered. I spammed every single thing I had constantly, as did the other spriest, as did all the healers, and not one of us ended up potting. Hell one of the paladins LoH'sed just for fun to see how well we could keep him going.

Now I'm pissed my guild only has 1 spriest, and I'm so lonely :(

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well geared, well behaved shadowpriests are giving out 200mp5 at the moment. And I agree that shadowpriesting is a lot of fun. Yeah the threat can get annoying (void walker, i'm looking at you), but it's an interesting DPS cycle to combat, especially because it does have shortcomings (mindflay being 24yards only, and a channeled, interruptable, and the mainstay of your dps).

If I had gone holy, i would've quit the game by now.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Which would be preferable for a holy priest, do you reckon?

This nightstaff

Or this lifestaff?

dojango on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hard to say, they both look pretty cool. course they're both hard to get unless you're in a decent raiding guild

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited August 2007
    dojango wrote: »

This nightstaff

Or this lifestaff?

Lifestaff, all the way. No doubt, at all. Socketed properly (ie. the only way to socket things at the moment unless you're in BT, with Royal Nightseye) it has 26 mp5. TWENTY SIX!!!! Slap +81 healing on it and use it as your non-spellsurge weapon. You'll never go oom.

exis on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    hard to say, they both look pretty cool. course they're both hard to get unless you're in a decent raiding guild

i was screwing around the other day, when a decent raiding guild needed 2 more healers for doomlord... and I won the staff... The other one, not so bad, its from kara... was a little concerned about the lack of +sta or +spi on the lifestaff. but 26 mana/5 sounds handy.

dojango on
    edited August 2007

This nightstaff

Or this lifestaff?

Lifestaff, all the way. No doubt, at all. Socketed properly (ie. the only way to socket things at the moment unless you're in BT, with Royal Nightseye) it has 26 mp5. TWENTY SIX!!!! Slap +81 healing on it and use it as your non-spellsurge weapon. You'll never go oom.

agreed

emperorsargosa on
    edited August 2007

i was screwing around the other day, when a decent raiding guild needed 2 more healers for doomlord... and I won the staff... The other one, not so bad, its from kara... was a little concerned about the lack of +sta or +spi on the lifestaff. but 26 mana/5 sounds handy.

ah, you lucky bastard

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited August 2007
    Have fun farming the crafted gear, you will want to stab yourself in the face soon

BlueBaron on
    edited August 2007
    I tried CoH tonight. It's fun on trash, but man the range is a huge pain in the ass. If we didn't have so many priests with imp DS I'd probably respec 23/38 without any regret.

It's nice to be raiding with a real raiding spec again though. <3 Inspiration and Clearcasting.

exis on
    edited August 2007
    Get your raid leaders to stack the groups to improve CoH effectiveness (they should anyways, to get best use out of totems/auras/VT). On trash pulls I can easily outheal even shaman chain healing by mashing CoH when the melee dps group takes some damage. Casters too, as long as each group stands fairly close to each other.

The talent would be damn near overpowered if the healing crossed group boundaries, which is something I think the class really deserves.

xzzy on
    edited August 2007
    I've grown to like CoH. I find, yes, you need to stack groups to maximze it, and yes, its kind of pointless outside of 25mans, but it has some potential if you know when to use it and have an absurd amount of +healing. Its also just plain ole fun to have an instant heal.

I'd definitely recommend against it for anyone under 1600'ish. The little ass coeficient doesn't do much but you want every last drop on that spell. If they doubled the coefiicient and doubled the range that'd be enough to make me proud of using it. Or fuck, keep the coeficient, keep the range, and yes, let it heal the RAID not the PARTY... That'd be the ultimate spam button. The mana cost, I can deal with.

emperorsargosa on
    edited August 2007
    I'd be happy with the coefficient right now, if they'd just change it from group to raid.

Three casts will top off an entire group from all but the most severe AE, which is pretty darn good for a single healer to accomplish in 3 seconds.

xzzy on
    edited August 2007
    I've grown to like CoH. I find, yes, you need to stack groups to maximze it, and yes, its kind of pointless outside of 25mans, but it has some potential if you know when to use it and have an absurd amount of +healing. Its also just plain ole fun to have an instant heal.

I'd definitely recommend against it for anyone under 1600'ish. The little ass coeficient doesn't do much but you want every last drop on that spell. If they doubled the coefiicient and doubled the range that'd be enough to make me proud of using it. Or fuck, keep the coeficient, keep the range, and yes, let it heal the RAID not the PARTY... That'd be the ultimate spam button. The mana cost, I can deal with.

As a fun case study of sorts, our guild did VR last night. We had 1 group of all melee, and another with 4 melee. Since I was COH spec, we decided to put me on melee healing so I could spam it. Along with me was a tree and a shaman.

Its safe to assume, if no one was dead, that 99% of my COH spam hit 4-5 targets, leaning on 5 since i mainly healed that group.
    Shaman chain heal spamming 96% of casts: 536 450, 12% OH
    Circle of Healing spamming 91% of casts: 380 282, 18% OH

To be fair, the shaman had flasked and I'm a cheap bastard, but still.

This is preaching to the choir, but wanted to put some numbers to it... Regardless, I'm staying CoH since we have a near 100% attendance priest that has imp spirit... that is, until I complete my shadoweave, mwahahahha:twisted:

emperorsargosa on
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I have effectively inherited a 70 priest. Kara and Gruul healing gear.

How would be the best way to l2heal? I was thinking of jumping into kara with a paladin that could probably heal everything alone(he is really good), but there is already another priest and a healadin recruits waiting to go to kara. Should i go heal in AV? Get a pug? Heal a guild group? Heroics?

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
    edited August 2007
    start a level 1 priest and level to 70. best learning experience there is

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    thats dumb because i could(and probably would) play 100% solo.

I know how to solo as a priest, i want to heal (raid)groups.

format on
    edited August 2007
    theres a great flash game that accurately reflects raid healing but I cant for the life of me find it

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    You already said it yourself. Get into PUGs and guild groups and practice. That's it.

Medopine on
    edited August 2007
    theres a great flash game that accurately reflects raid healing but I cant for the life of me find it

the person i got the account from said to spam down ranked flash heals on the main tank. For some reason i think there is more to it than that.

format on
    edited August 2007
    format wrote: »

the person i got the account from said to spam down ranked flash heals on the main tank. For some reason i think there is more to it than that.

there's also making sure you always have renew up and uhh.. hmm

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    download grid and clique and queue up for av. that'll teach you how to raid heal like a pro. as for main healing, its on an encounter by encounter basis coupled with which tank you're healing. for the most part, learning to cancel heals is the biggest trick. don't worry though, we have some sucktastic priests raiding with us from the very beginning. lord knows they haven't improved but no one says anything because of the demand.

anyway, imo, 5man healing != raid healing, tho heroics can test your ability at triage and choosing who dies :P

AV = great way to learn to keep idiots alive

emperorsargosa on
    edited August 2007
    yeah, thats one of the harder parts, learning how not to overheal. theres ui mods for this but I never found them too helpful, its much better to learn how to do it yourself

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Healing isn't hard to learn, only tricks to a priest are:

a) Don't PW:S a tank on pulls. Not as big a deal now because mobs do so much damage, but it's still not a good idea.
    b) Don't renew anyone on a pull unless you're 100% positive your tank will pick all the mobs up
    c) Fade is only a temporary agro dump.
    d) Don't let yourself think that just because you're not topping the healing meters you are doing something wrong.
    e) Downrank as much as possible, especially on raids.

Past that, it's easy. Just keep the green bars full and don't think you can get away reading web pages while everyone is fighting. Burst damage can happen at any time and you don't want to be the one caught napping. I do try to keep my overheal down, but don't sweat it if I rocket up. Keeping people alive is more important. Only reason I watch my OH% is so I can get an idea how much downranking I can get away with.

xzzy on
    edited August 2007
    The other trick to priests is gear and your FSR rate. We'll introduce these later in the 200 level course of PriestHealing 101 and 201:P

emperorsargosa on
    edited August 2007
    Read this. And heal PUG five-mans. They'll give you a better idea of your spells than Kara will.

Your friend was either taking the piss or just sucked. Avoid using Flash Heal. The HPM is horrible, it's only useful when things go south. If you have to use it, it's max rank or nothing.

exis on
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ner%27zhul&n=Rikk

So I've recently decided to run arena with my friends, and it was a good slap in the face as to how important stamina and resilience are. I was dropped in like 10 seconds. I realize my hp is very low currently, but I rarely get hurt in Karazhan or Gruul's Lair, so I guess it's not so necessary for me.

What I'm trying to do is get soem PvP gear without having to go through BGs and what not. is there a definitive list out there or a guide showing what to spec for, or what to tailor to when arena-healing as a priest? It seems like a lot of fun and I'd like to try it.

eric. on
    edited August 2007
    eric. wrote: »
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ner%27zhul&n=Rikk

So I've recently decided to run arena with my friends, and it was a good slap in the face as to how important stamina and resilience are. I was dropped in like 10 seconds. I realize my hp is very low currently, but I rarely get hurt in Karazhan or Gruul's Lair, so I guess it's not so necessary for me.

What I'm trying to do is get soem PvP gear without having to go through BGs and what not. is there a definitive list out there or a guide showing what to spec for, or what to tailor to when arena-healing as a priest? It seems like a lot of fun and I'd like to try it.

Respec first. You need Blessed Resilience. Get Spell warding, Focused Casting, Healing Focus. Just all the PvP talents. You can heal raids just fine with a PvP 28/33 build, so don't worry about losing the PvE talents. Your gear will make up for it anyway.

Now, the arena gear is by far best for slot, so keep getting 10 games a week, even if you're losing a lot. I think you just switched to your damage set while I was looking at your armory. Wear that Wand of the Netherwing. It's got too much stam to pass up. The aim is not to stack healing/regen. It's to flout it all in favour of survivability. Hell, I went from two greens of stamina straight to arena pieces. Get a 2 minute PvP trinket. I know you said you didn't want to grind honor, but kiting warriors is necessary.

Couple of pieces of gear which you can pick up yourself:
    Mithril-Bark Cloak - Botanica
    Heirophants Sash - Halaa token turn-in
    Heirophants Leggings - Halaa
    Boots of the Pious - Heroic Mech. Not exactly itemized for PvP, but really really good.
    Runed Dagger of Solace - Botanica

You can get Battlecast crafted if you want, though I wouldn't bother. Also, get a Spirit Shard ring.

exis on
    edited August 2007
    dubble poast, but this is worth it's own, I think.

Lootzor.com. Check it out. You plug in weightings for stats and it'll give you lists of gear. Absolutely awesome.

exis on
This discussion has been closed.