As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EverCrack Devs Entertaining Alt. Ruleset Server Ideas

saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
EverQuest

everquest.jpg

I know there are still a few of us addicts still poking around here wishing we could go back to the glory days of EverQuest. Well, the devs in their recent Producer Letter have called for ideas from players regarding a set of servers with special rule sets. I would sure like to see an EQ Classic server or something similar come out of this - a throwback to the old days where we can wallow in the drama of overcrowded newbie zones, SG's to the dock, and fifteen minute boat rides.

Here's a link to the Producer Letter - http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/news_article.vm?id=50528

Here's the thread in the Veteran's Lounge where current subscribers are throwing around ideas - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=116901

Here's a thread in the Newbie Zone where non-subscribers like us can actually voice our opinions - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=116911

And lastly, a general Classic Server thread that's been going on for a decade or so - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?&topic_id=30225

What do you all think about this? Good idea? Beating a dead horse?

XBL: heavenkils
saltiness on

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would totally play this. My two biggest regrets as a pc gamer are missing the Half-Life hype in '98 and never playing Everquest pre-kunark.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i wonder if they could turn back the models I really liked my troll that looked like a jeep.

I wish the UO devs would do this... :(

Drakmathus on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    i wonder if they could turn back the models I really liked my troll that looked like a jeep.

INeedNoSalt on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

gilrain on
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i hope they never, ever do this.

because i would be forced to play.
    and i would love it

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Didn't they already do something like this? I suppose they eventually pushed the expansions forward, though.

jothki on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Didn't they already do something like this? I suppose they eventually pushed the expansions forward, though.

i hear raid guilds go onto progression servers and race each other, who down the dragons/gods the fastest.

Drakmathus on
  • CriptCript Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Did they remove the option to use the original character models? I always used the old ones. I really could not stand the animation of the new ones they made in Luclin.

Anyway, I would totally resub if they made a server that caped the expansions to Velious.

Cript on
    Dirty+RNA.png
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Correct, they had the Progression servers which opened a year or so ago. They were a smashing success in the beginning but they had a fatal flaw - the top end content crushers (raiding guilds) bulldozed through all the final bosses and such and for all practical purposes those servers are now just the same as the rest of EverQuest. One idea that's been going around is a rehash of the progression servers with hard time limits on how quickly the expansions are opened such as 3 or 6 months. I personally would be very satisfied with a 6-month per expansion progression server. It would give me plenty of time to experience the old world of EQ with some of the fun parts of the first couple of expansions a little later then I could quit after a year or so and go about my business.

saltiness on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cript wrote: »

Did they remove the option to use the original character models? I always used the old ones. I really could not stand the animation of the new ones they made in Luclin.

Anyway, I would totally resub if they made a server that caped the expansions to Velious.

I believe you can still use the old character models. I used them on the Progression servers eight or so months ago.

saltiness on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I wish the AC devs would do this... :(

Fixed that for you. *sigh* I can dream, can't I?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    edited August 2007
    seabass wrote: »

That's not fixed.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's not fixed.

You must be referring to the fact that is not green nor large enough.

There we go.

;-)

Ant000 on
    edited August 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »

That's not fixed.

[hurhurhur]
    There we go.
    ;-)
    'Fixed' implies the prior statement was incorrect. Both statements are presumably true, you can't fix one into the other. :P

Also, yay, EverQuest. Uh... I've never played it. It has never looked like a fun game to me. :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    EverQuest to be EverQuest in 30 years.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If they completely revert the rules back to the original, I'd play again.

There's NOTHING in the world like making an ogre invisible, go into the dwarf town, fill up all your backpacks with Tumpy Tonics, escape alive, go to Freeport, make yourself invisible again, sneak into the port bar, and give the Tumpy Tonics to some dipshit that only spawned for a few minutes every hour or so.

Running super-high xp quests like the Tumpy Tonic quest while being KOS in every area you have to visit is fun as hell.

Well, until it got nerfed.

And rubicite armor.

And all the things that were nodrop that no longer spawned.

I WANT TO SPEND MILLIONS OF PLATINUM FAILING HORRIBLY AT JEWELRY MAKING, DAMMIT!

slurpeepoop on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure I hate myself enough to play EQ Classic. God, the level grind. And getting keys for Sleeper's Tomb, sweet Christ... farming set armor, trains in old sebilis, camping Raster, that one woods zone right off West Commons that turned into murder land at night, failed Plane of Fear breaks resulting in lost corpses...

Actually, if they cut the xp per level by a factor of 5 and released a Kunark + Velious only server, I would probably play the shit out of it.

zilo on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Even though I was a miserable failure at EQ (highest char I ever had was a 52 bard before I stopped playing a while before PoP was released) I still, for some reason, have really fond memories of the game. Even though I think camping is fucking dumb and hate grinding and the PvP (I played on SZ) sucked.

EQ is weird like that.

Though I wouldn't play it again regardless of what new servers they released. I've tried many times to recapture the magic of old MMORPGs I've played and it has never, ever worked. Basically waiting on WAR or AoC at this point.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ok it's a double edged sword. When I was playing (I quit right after we were the only guild on our server to be in Plane of Time. I got 3 leet pieces of gear and was on my way out), everyone just kept wanting new content, but everytime we got new content it just wasn't that good. Or rather it wasn't quite the fun from the good ol' days. The problem is, if you release a server that has ONLY EQ classic (pre kunark) everyone *already* knows how to beat Nagafen and Vox. If you introduce the planes and Kunark...everyone knows how to down track and Venril Sathir...etc. The strategies for killing every single high end mob is just a google search away and not only that, but you'll be racing to kill soandso boss mob between 90 million guilds that are capable of doing so. Back in the day (my guild) Inner Circle were one of few guilds that actually did the high end content. So really we were only contending with 2-3 other guilds at max, usually only 1 other guild. So my point is, the stuff is already learned and since it's so easy now you'd have a billion guilds trying to do it all at the same time.

Yeah it'd be alot of fun if we could all just forget how to win all the boss mob content.

DarkSymphony on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What we really need is EQ3

JAEF on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    They tried. It was called Vanguard. It didn't work so well.

Someone needs to beat the fuckers with the clue-by-four until they realize that your graphics engine doesn't need to be bleeding edge if you'd just hire a competent art director.

s3rial one on
    edited August 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »

Someone needs to beat the fuckers with the clue-by-four until they realize that your graphics engine doesn't need to be bleeding edge if you'd just hire a competent art director.
    I'd call Vangaurd EQ1.5

That whole retarded mess seemed like a terrible idea from the start. Much like Shadowbane.

JAEF on
    edited August 2007

I'd call Vangaurd EQ1.5

That whole retarded mess seemed like a terrible idea from the start. Much like Shadowbane.

Player built towns going to war with each other is a terrible idea?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited August 2007

I'd call Vangaurd EQ1.5

Player built towns going to war with each other is a terrible idea?
    The mechanics they were planning to implement seemed poor. And they were. And the game tanked. I was not surprised.

JAEF on
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played on the progression servers when they first opened, and at first, they were great. I joined a guild, we built up a few members, gathered in Freeport to craft armor, and generally explored and leveled together. The best time we had was an adventure into Cazic-Thule around level 20 (because it had been reverted to it's prerevamp form). However, the game quickly got stale. While we were some of the better geared and leveled players on the server, the hardcore guilds shut us out of experience groups in the popular dungeons. Some guild members left, and it became impossible to find a pick up group because the holy trinity was alive and well (being a ranger pre-Velious is difficult). I loved it for the few weeks I played it, but I wouldn't go back to a pure "Classic" server.

Instead, I'd like to see a "Classic Remix". Begin with the Old World, and eventually add Kunark and Velious. Start by tweaking the classes. Redistribute spells and abilities so that characters are more powerful and useful in general. Retune a few underused areas and dungeons. Maybe even add instanced versions of a few, like they added in later expansions. Don't put in any raid content. Instead, balance everything around a group of 6. Allow alternate advancement points to be gained at any level, and add a healthy amount of them, but don't make them add too much power. Add unlockable extras, like titles and AA abilities that require you to complete single group content. That's what I'd like to see.

SilentCoconut on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's not fixed.

There we go.

;-)

Yea... sadly, we'll never see it. The original AC code was such a mess that the devs probably couldn't figure it out today. I'm sure most of it is gone, even.

Still, starting a new server, from the beginning of the story, would be a fucking dream come true. Frore? The Shadow War? Singularity holes? Bael'Zharon coming to Dereth to kick the shit out of everyone?

*swoon*

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • The Karma SocietyThe Karma Society Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If they completely revert the rules back to the original, I'd play again.

There's NOTHING in the world like making an ogre invisible, go into the dwarf town, fill up all your backpacks with Tumpy Tonics, escape alive, go to Freeport, make yourself invisible again, sneak into the port bar, and give the Tumpy Tonics to some dipshit that only spawned for a few minutes every hour or so.

Running super-high xp quests like the Tumpy Tonic quest while being KOS in every area you have to visit is fun as hell.

Well, until it got nerfed.

And rubicite armor.

And all the things that were nodrop that no longer spawned.

I WANT TO SPEND MILLIONS OF PLATINUM FAILING HORRIBLY AT JEWELRY MAKING, DAMMIT!

Indeed.

I particularly loved when I got myself KOS in Neriak.

I was a Dark Elf Wizard.

The Karma Society on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's not fixed.

There we go.

;-)

Yea... sadly, we'll never see it. The original AC code was such a mess that the devs probably couldn't figure it out today. I'm sure most of it is gone, even.

Still, starting a new server, from the beginning of the story, would be a fucking dream come true. Frore? The Shadow War? Singularity holes? Bael'Zharon coming to Dereth to kick the shit out of everyone?

*swoon*

I miss those days, so much.

Those early days of AC were the days I'll never have again...when I was new to MMO's and actually cared about the world, about exploring and adventuring.

Then I became a powergamer, and in every MMO I play now it's carved into my brain to level/loot/repeat until I burn out in no time at all. :(

citizen059 on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, I had a ranger on Bertoxxulous who participated in the Battle of Kithicor just after the release of EQ.

... Good times. Never hit 50 until Velious though because I just couldn't grind hard enough. Helps that I also played the worst class in the game at that time.

On second thought, fuck EQ.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Terror&HubrisTerror&Hubris Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadowbane was sort of like the EVE of its day, except without good graphics and a steeper learning curve. Yeah.

Terror&Hubris on
    This game can't make my TV bigger?
    Sadly, no... But here's a list of what you will get out of Rock Band:

[too much to fit in a sig, thats what]
  • terminal stupidityterminal stupidity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadowbane was sort of like the EVE of its day, except without good graphics and a steeper learning curve. Yeah.

Is it really possible for something to be steeper than a vertical line?

terminal stupidity on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thread name needs to be changed from EverCrack.

I thought the EverQuest emulator was finally playable.

rayofash on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I miss the good old days of DAoC. It was fucking brilliant. Emain Macha and all.

Lucky Cynic on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    <customary Pokemon MMO request to go in all new MMO threads that end up in G&T>

Lewisham on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played way longer than I should of. I quit sometime after PoP. The fun had been sucked out of it by then.

I'd almost be tempted to play again if it was a Classic + Kunark/velious only server. That was the golden age of MMO games IMO it just went down hill after that. After velious they just kept ramping up the huge raids, and even worse time sinks. The points thing with dungeons wasn't bad but it was just kind of meh.

I think some of the most fun I've ever had in a MMO was when my guild was doing Halls of Testing (Velious) helping each other with armor quests, shawl/ring quest lines, etc..

powersurge on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh fuck that screenshot is bringing back a massive wash of memories. Were the graphics really that bad? Was the resolution really that small? :O

Oh nostalgia, what a portrait you paint.

Cilla Black on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zilla84 wrote: »
    Oh fuck that screenshot is bringing back a massive wash of memories. Were the graphics really that bad? Was the resolution really that small? :O

http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer/Everquest1

Original View: http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer/Everquest1/photo#5097986106216869090

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Requisite "I wish the UO/SWG team would do this" post.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    skace wrote: »
    Zilla84 wrote: »

http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer/Everquest1

Original View: http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer/Everquest1/photo#5097986106216869090
    Oh man, that business photoshop is fucking brilliant. So many memories. You played as an enchanter too? High five, I'm still convinced no MMO has yet to make a class that it just as fun to play all-around as Enchanters. Illusions were great.

Cilla Black on
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nothing was more awesome then using the level 50 illusion spell to turn into the entire freaking entrance of Felwithe.

Bulbasaur on
    Brawl Code - 0216-0458-2046 | PM me if you've added me.