As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chaos] CitOW Game 87 has finally ended with Rius finally getting a win with Khorne!

1101112131416»

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Heh, nice roll. Mr Suplex has the worst luck. Should I just roll for Tilea, since there are 0 choices to be made? I'll give @Rius and @Mr Suplex an hour or two (since I'm semi-busy anyway).

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Meh, gonna have to pause for @BoardGamer to decide on Skitterleap/Under Empire decisions anyway (unless I just make like doldari and assume his decisions... maybe I will do that), so what the hell, let's put this thing to bed already.

Geth roll 2d6h4 for Khorne in Tilea

Geth roll 1d6h4 for Slaanesh in Tilea

Edit: And nothing happens!

Khorne in Tilea:
    2d6h4 1 [2d6h4=3, 5]
    Slaanesh in Tilea:
    1d6h4 0 [1d6h4=1]

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    Round 6, Corruption Phase

game87state48_zps61aa267c.png

Peasants (Peasants add to resistance) and Teclis (remove cultists at event) are fighting a losing battle.

Upgrade effects:
    Bloodletters: +1 VP for K per killed figure in regions with at least one Bloodletter
    Bloodthirster: Once per round, may summon Bloodthirster to region with 6+ corruption tokens for 0 power
    Plaguebearers: Killed Plaguebearers in battle phase add +1 corruption for N
    Lepers: N may add +1 corruption when Lepers place corruption
    Infested Colony: +2 corruption when N dominates
    Keeper of Secrets: KoS counts as 3 nobles
    The Under Empire: Regions with Skaven tokens are considered adjacent for HR, and HR may move figures from a ruining region to an adjacent region
    Council of 13: Once per round, HR may play a third card to a region
    Rat Ogres: Clan Rats may not be targeted in battle until all Rat Ogres in the region are dead

Chaos effects:
    Norsca: Leap (if HR dominates, may move figures to an adjacent region)
    Troll Country: Shock (Warpstones and magic symbols count for T's domination)
    Bretonnia: Festival (+1 PP for Slaanesh when others summon here)
    The Border Princes: Havoc (Warriors and Greater Daemons roll no battle dice and place corruption during battle phase)
    The Badlands: Glean (adjacent to all regions)

Domination step:
    Bretonnia: +5 VP DAC
    Tilea: +2 VP
    The Border Princes: +1 VP DAC
    The Badlands: +1 VP DAC

Corruption step:
    Norsca: +1
    Troll Country: +3, +1
    Bretonnia: +2 DAC, +2 DAC - 4TH RUINED! - +5 VP +5 VP +5 VP
    The Border Princes: +4, +2, +5 DAC - 5TH RUINED! - +5 VP +5 VP +5 VP +5 VP - Clan Rats move through tunnels to Bretonnia
    The Badlands: +1

Updated VP:
    51 + 7 = 58 VP
    33 + 10 = 43 VP
    47 + 6 = 53 VP
    32 + 5 = 37 VP
    27 + 16 = 43 VP

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Round 6, End Phase

Board at the start of the end phase:

game87state49_zps9470c564.png

1. Remove Chaos Cards from the Board - no effects

2. Hero Tokens are resolved - none

3. Resolve Old World cards - Teclis wipes out the cultists in the ruins of The Border Princes, then moves on to fail at saving Troll Country

4. Score Ruined Regions - Bretonnia: +7 VP +7 VP, The Border Princes: +9 VP +4 VP

5. Advance Threat Dials - Khorne has the most DACs and ticks twice; all others tick once

28 - Upgrade
    31 - Draw 2 Cards

34 - Remove 2 Corruption
    9 - Upgrade
    19 - Upgrade
    28 - Score 5 VP

Updated VP:
    Khorne: 58 + 4 = 62 VP
    Nurgle: 43 + 7 = 50 VP
    Tzeentch: 53 + 9 = 62 VP
    Slaanesh: 37 VP
    The Horned Rat: 43 + 12 = 55 VP

6. Check for Game end - At least one god has reached 50+ VP; the game ends.

KHORNE WINS A VP VICTORY (on the Threat tiebreaker)!

Congratulations Rius!

Board at game's end:

game87state50_zps3e9918a0.png

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Holy crap, I forgot about Teclis! I was worried about HR's Daemon moving from Bretonnia to The Border Princes, but Teclis made that a non-starter.

As for how long this took; no real secret that's all on me. I apologize profusely and make no excuses.

Finally, a win with Khorne, and a VP win no less. I can finally put this god to bed.

• Options
    Despite the game's length, that was tons of fun to watch and host. I can't believe how close Tzeentch got to winning with so few ticks. One more would've been 3 VP and the win! Tzeentch also would've won if Slaanesh had rolled a hit in Tilea, but one hit fewer for Khorne in Troll Country would've resulted in a Nurgle victory! Totally crazy final round and game. Thanks for playing, all!

• Options
    Without a doubt the closest game I've ever been in. The battle phase for round six was basically spent staring at a preposterous checklist of what was necessary to eke out a victory, including the absolute necessity of being on the right side of a coin toss in Tilea.

• Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
    Grats Khorne! Good game everyone, and probably the closest I've come to a win yet! With Nurgle no less! :D

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Thanks for the game all and congrats Rius! I knew I needed one hit from Slaan in Tilea or I was doomed. I've finally been able to play all of the Gods now, so thanks again!

• Options
    Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    Great Game to watch.
    (Not sure I would have had the stamina to play it though.)

One statistic I thought was quite interesting...
    The Bat symbol @ Rius was used 59 times.

! WoW !

• Options
    Mr SuplexMr Suplex Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Tilea; 1 hit

Kill the Khorne Warrior

Tzeentch actually wins with this roll, that I was not given time to post. I actually conducted the roll a few days ago (before Blahmcblah's roll for me) but did not post it because we were told to roll in strict order and I was waiting on Khorne before posting it.

Taking Khorne's victory from him is my consolation for his absurdly good rolling all game against me.

Congratulations @Ardor ...you hung in there and squeaked out the win.

**Edit** Sorry to stir up controversy...I normally wouldn't care about 1 dice roll but this one literally changed the outcome of the game, so it should be counted.

Mr Suplex on
  • Options
    @Ardor @Rius @caliber @BoardGamer - What say you? Could also use some advice from @stever777 and @Darian.

I'm aware that in the past, people have rolled early, but they messaged the host with the roll or posted it under spoiler tags, not posted after the game was declared over to say "oh yeah, I totally rolled 3 days ago and didn't tell anyone." I went ahead and made the rolls because this game has taken way too long, and I had no expectation of getting Tilea's rolls finished before next week. I'm pretty sure the result will stand as is, but I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.

• Options
    Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    Well my thoughts are ...

* WoW *

That is just such an AWESOME way to finish this particular game.
    ( . . . and the Bat signal hits 60! )

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Well. Anyone who complains that my rolls with Khorne have been too good either hasn't been around too long or hasn't been paying much attention.

You can split this hair any way you like. Here's how I'll do it; you rolled all your rolls ahead of time, which is not at all "rolling in strict turn order." Obviously I have a vested interest in the original ending of the game standing under scrutiny =)

Edit:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/post/quote/165012/Comment_24493452 - zero hits on 4 dice, but overall 3 hits on 6
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/post/quote/165012/Comment_25179488 - overall 2 hits on 8 dice
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/post/quote/165012/Comment_25465949 - six hits on 4 dice (this one really pissed you off, but hey, I didn't force you to move six seductresses into a region with 4 of my dice)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/post/quote/165012/Comment_25996440 - 4 hits on 4 dice, starting to pick up now
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/post/quote/165012/Comment_26009305 - 5 hits on 4 dice (wiping you out a second time. But again, you flooded a region I had 4 dice in with your figures so...)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/post/quote/165012/Comment_26895765 - 3 hits on two dice, blocking the Rat's winning scenario.

So yeah, this game started out with me rolling under average and ended with me rolling above average. You just happened to be in the path of the train for the two biggest rolls (and I find it's always easier to beat the average when you're rolling 4+ dice.)

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My points are pretty straightforward; I'll lay them out below.

1) I was not consulted in any way before my roll was done for me. No message, nothing. I should have been given at least 24 hours, especially given the history of this game and how long some players were taking to make decisions at the end of this game.
    2) We were told to roll in strict turn and power order, but whether I roll ahead of time or not should be irrelevant as long as I don't post the results until after anyone before me has made their decisions about what they kill, etc. This is the only reason I held off on displaying my roll sooner, and I was not aware that I should message the host ahead of time if an early roll was conducted.
    3) Until this instance we NEVER had peoples' rolls done for them, even when they took over a week. How was I supposed to know that suddenly things were different? Furthermore, my roll was done instantly after Rius' was done for him. I literally had no opportunity to post the results of my roll, as our rolls were performed for us simultaneously.
    4) The one time the rolls were done for us was arguably the two most important rolls of the entire game, given how close the game was. I personally find it strange to choose this as the time to make an "executive decision" to roll for other players.
    5) My roll is time stamped before blahmcblah's. That really should immediately end this debate, but apparently not. I would think that in a dispute of this nature, the roll performed first would take precedent. I certainly would rule that way if I was hosting a game.

My impression is that Ardor is too nice to argue these points, so I am doing it for him because I believe in the right outcome happening and I'm not afraid to piss people off. Given my points above, I think its clear that Ardor won this game.

Mr Suplex on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Rius wrote: »
    You can split this hair any way you like. Here's how I'll do it; you rolled all your rolls ahead of time, which is not at all "rolling in strict turn order." Obviously I have a vested interest in the original ending of the game standing under scrutiny =)

I'm not splitting hairs at all. I'm stating the facts. Whether I roll my dice ahead of time or not is irrelevant in an online version of this game as long as the results are not posted before others ahead of me in turn/region order made their rolls and decisions on what to hit. With this in mind, saying I wasn't "rolling in strict turn order" is silly. I hope an explanation as to why this is the case should not be necessary.

Ardor beat you, and it was because I stole the win from you. Its your turn to bend over and take it from me for a change, champ.

Mr Suplex on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Mr Suplex joined the forums to play these games with us and I respect him sticking with the game even though the timing it took to finish the game and the double bad luck he got with some rolls against him during the battle phases. I guess I've not seen someone roll dice for another player to finish the game, so while it doesn't matter much to me either way, if I had to choose, I'd go with Mr Suplex's roll.

Alternatively, have him use Geth to roll right now.

It's been a pleasure playing the game with you @Mr Suplex, I hope you might find time for another game sometime, they aren't all this long.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks @Ardor. This was not the best experience for me given how long the game took, but maybe someday I'll give it another try. You were also a pleasure to play with.

Mr Suplex on
  • Options
    I'd be less offended by your insulting tone if you had a personal stake in winning, Suplex, but you don't. I cannot control how dice roll, and your level of ire towards me is offensive. Bend over and take it from you, really? Losing the game on what amounts to a coin flip is just something that happens, and when or if it does, it is certainly not "poetic justice."

I wash my hands of this; win or lose, I'm satisfied with how this game went. I'll make no more arguments.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Rius wrote: »
    I'd be less offended by your insulting tone if you had a personal stake in winning, Suplex, but you don't. I cannot control how dice roll, and your level of ire towards me is offensive. Bend over and take it from you, really? Losing the game on what amounts to a coin flip is just something that happens, and when or if it does, it is certainly not "poetic justice."

Whether I tell you to "bend over" or tell you "I finally got back at you" is the same difference in my book, but if you want to choose to be offended, by all means be offended.

Also, if you can't see the poetic justice in me taking your win away from you after the beating you laid on me all game (which was also just a bunch of coin flips, as you so eloquently put it), then, well I don't know what to say.

Mr Suplex on
  • Options
    Hosts have rolled for players before, but usually only when there are no decisions to be made (like in this case), or when a player gives him a list of priority targets/instructions for what to do with hits (totally unnecessary in this case because there were no choices to be made). Players have rolled out of order, but only when instructed, having left instructions with the host, or putting the roll under spoiler tags. None of those things were done here.

If this were real life, it'd be like the end of a really long night of gaming, where this one game has taken about a million years, and everyone just wants to go home, and then one player leaves the table to use the restroom, leaving everyone else waiting for him to make that final roll, and the other players decide to just roll and finish it without him so they can clean up the game and finally let everyone leave. But when the bathroom guy gets back and finds the game over, he says, "But I totally rolled that die on my way to the restroom, like an hour ago, without telling anyone I was doing it, over in that corner of the room where no one could see it, but you see it now, right? And it totally shows a hit!" I'm pretty sure everyone there would just laugh the whole thing off, which is what I'm going to do here.

I don't run the main Chaos thread to decide what counts for the leaderboard (I'm credited with half a win there that I never would've given myself), or enter games into the spreadsheet, so the people who do can decide whatever they want. But for me, at least for now, I'm leaving this thread as is. If you don't like it, feel free decline invitations to games I host. I'm sure I'll be terribly hurt by your absence.

• Options
    Also:
    Mr Suplex wrote: »
    3) Until this instance we NEVER had peoples' rolls done for them, even when they took over a week. How was I supposed to know that suddenly things were different? Furthermore, my roll was done instantly after Rius' was done for him. I literally had no opportunity to post the results of my roll, as our rolls were performed for us simultaneously.
    4) The one time the rolls were done for us was arguably the two most important rolls of the entire game, given how close the game was. I personally find it strange to choose this as the time to make an "executive decision" to roll for other players.
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    Slaanesh doesn't have any choices involved with his roll, so in an effort to keep this game moving, I'll just make it for him. 1 hit kills the Leper.

Boom roasted.