As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 Review Collection

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Penny Arcade Games
In this thread, I'm going to collect various reviews that show up for the 4th game in the On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2013/06/07/penny-arcades-on-the-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-4-review/
Replicating the style and gameplay of the retro RPG in a meaningful way is no easy task, but Zeboyd comes through strong. While its inspirations are clear, Rain-Slick 4 never takes the easy route and becomes a derivative homage piece. This powerful pastiche stands alone with ease and stacks up nicely alongside the 90s greats, although it certainly comes with a distinctly different approach to storytelling.

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/06/on-the-rainslick-precipice-of-darkness-4-review/ (8/10)
As much as I’ve praised the comedy, combat, and design of On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4, there’s one element that clearly stands above the rest: the music.
It’s almost a shame that this is the final episode of Penny Arcade Adventures. Rain-Slick 4 manages to outdo all of the previous installments, as well as the entire Zeboyd Games oeuvre.

http://thecontrolleronline.com/2013/06/penny-arcades-on-the-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-4-review/ (8.5/10)
Zeboyd Games keep getting better and better with every game they make, and the same can be said for the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series. If you’re a fan of old-school RPG’s, Rain-Slick 4 is a must have as it lovingly parodies the games of the SNES era while it pushes them forward.

http://vgmmdi.com/review/on-the-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-4 (9.2/10)
Overall I am very pleased with conclusion the Rain Slick series and strongly recommending any fan of the genre and/or humorous writing to give it a playthrough.

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    TheLORDisJESUSTheLORDisJESUS Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    Great reviews so far. I hope it's less linear than Rain Slick 3 (which it does seem like it will be).

I'm hoping for a FF6-esque experience.

I wish it would come out on XBL already.

TheLORDisJESUS on
    "I Shall Layeth Some KJV Upon Thee"

Romans 10:9
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It's definitely less linear than 3. Lots of little secrets & optional locations scattered here and there.

Here's another really positive review:
    http://jfaq.us/PA4.php (10/10)
    I said in the last review that, "If they keep this up, Zeboyd Games will have a customer for life. Not only did they continue along the path of excellence that I expected, but they far surpassed it and provided the perfect end to the series. For $4.99, it's more than a steal; it's a no-brainer.

http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/rev/pennyarcadesontherainslickedprecipiceofdarkness4review.html#.UbJOY_nVBsk (4.3/5)
    It's just like your favorite RPGs from the mid-1990s—except, in a lot of ways, better.

http://pikigeek.com/2013/06/07/review-on-the-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-episode-4/ (5/5)
    While Rain Slick 3 may have left some disappointed, Rain Slick 4 is sure to leave everyone happy. It improves on the previous entry’s shortcomings and should act as point of study for other developers, including AAA ones.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    I guess it's not coming out today on XBL?

=[

Hopefully tomorrow? Kinda sucks, today is my Sunday. Back to work tomorrow d'oh

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have the entire Quartet copied down somewhere? I'd rather not dig through the games to copy it myself if possible :p

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    XBL... They always delay everything...

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have the entire Quartet copied down somewhere? I'd rather not dig through the games to copy it myself if possible :p

Right here.

"Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will
    And if the Gods themselves may die
    What does that say for you and I?

Now, three Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    While black tongues lap at the spreading pool
    And build the strength they need to rule

When two Gods wait on the windowsill
    The wick of the world is burning, still
    But when one God in triumph shouts
    The candle of the world goes out

And when that candle, bare and white
    Sheds at last its dancing light
    Then we will rouse, with raiséd rod
    To pierce the very house of God"
    --The Quartet for the Dusk of Man

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So I finally got around to trying out the more recent PA games.

Got bored pretty much instantly with the combat. I know that it's not their fault that the original developer wouldn't return for additional games, but bleh.

I hate JRPGs.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Okay, I decided to wait until I was a little more awake and give it another go, and it turns out I'm having a little fun now.

I mean, the whole genre is really played out, but the writing and characters make it enjoyable enough.

Also, I tend to get really neurotic when it comes to having a lot of customization options, ESPECIALLY with RPG type games, so I'm really hesitant to really move forward with class pins before learning a bit more about them from someone else who knows this stuff.

Are there any FAQs/Guides that detail useful class pin combinations with the various characters?

I'd like to know how to really get the most out of these guys.

Also, can the pins be changed around once they're assigned? If so, it easy to level up the second class/es to catch up in case I decide to change them around? I'd be a LOT more comfortable experimenting if any changes I make are reversible.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    You're not being neurotic, you're being silly. They're pins. Meaning you pin them to your shirt and can just as easily take them off. You can change every pin between characters at will AND all pins level up, whether they're equipped or not. The unequipped ones level a little slower, but it's designed to let you throw out a strategy that isn't working without penalizing you. Looking up a guide before trying in this system would be similar to insisting on reading a review before sampling an orderve platter.

As to 4, I got it an Xbox just like the other 3. Love the music from the brief amount I've played but the combat seems more... jerky than 3? Like in 3, the movement of the turn bar was smooth and basically unnoticeable. Now it seems like the framerate is tripping over a small rock. Is this intentional, am I imagining it, or what?