As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Turtle's Shell is Discolored; For Why?

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
Several months ago my red-eared slider's shell began losing the green color of his carapace in some spots, resulting in several yellow splotches (with most towards the front of the shell). I took him to a vet that had experience with turtles (he even had a 50 year old red eared slider at his office), and he seemed to think my turtle wasn't getting enough UVB light. I bought a spotlight lamp to replace the fluorescent tube light I had been using.

While the discoloration isn't getting any worse, it also isn't getting any better. Does anyone know what I could do to restore my turtle's carapace coloration? Is there a possibility the condition is irreversible?

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    How long has it been?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    About five months. He isn't acting oddly or as if he is sick as far as I can tell.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Are you using UVB bulbs specifically for reptiles?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    It may just be a matter of taking time for the coloration to change back. How quickly did the discoloration occur? I'd wager that it would definitely take at least as long to change back.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Are you using UVB bulbs specifically for reptiles?

I'm using Reptisun bulbs.

• Options
    Here's what his shell used to look like:

IMG_0272_zps724f7ffb.jpg

Here's a picture of what his shell looks like now.

NaglesShell_zps2e077b8c.jpg

I haven't been doing anything different, and he doesn't act weak or anything. The shell doesn't feel soft either.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Has there been a guy named mario hanging around?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Does he smell? It might be shell rot.

But yeah seems more like UVB/diet/age type discoloration otherwise.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    While I don't personally have the answer, in trying to find it I came across this site.

Some of the turtles there seem to have the same thing going on as yours, similar spreads to the discoloration with no smell/softness. Might be able to find the answer you seek.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I am not a veterinary and you should talk to your veterinarian, I do not know anything about turtles or turtle shells, but:

That look like a a fungal infection. Like, do turtles get fungal infections on their shells? Because if they do, I would bet that it's fungus.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @The Ender they do, shell rot is what it's called.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The vet doesn't think it's a fungal infection. My turtle has had a fungal infection before, and it caused a fuzzy patch.