As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    That usually means they left "aim assist" turned on. :lol:

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I have aim assist turned on, I dont see any adverse effects with it. What "issues" does it cause?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    in close-quarters it can trap your crosshairs outside your targets hitbox.
    After posting that, I turned it on and started playing around and it seems much improved since last I tried it.

Unrelated; forcing the game to play at 480p via your PS3 settings improves performance tremendously.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Well here's the thing. Only a small percent of the player base currently participates in PC. Even if you are a member of a corp big enough to participate, you likely have to be one of the top players with skill points enough to allow for proto gear to get involved.
    [...]
    PC is a big component to DUST, but it isnt the only part. In fact, a majority of players havent remotely touched it, and most likely wont ever. Its still a fun, unique FPS without PC. The controls are a little below the typical AAA game, but I hear most PS3 FPS games have control issues. For me and my buddies, it sort of feels like a crazy hybrid of Halo. COD and BF3. A little crappier at everything than those 3 games, but because its so more more in depth, it offers its own rewards.

Also, the social aspect is bigger in this game than most. In other games I almost always play with mic off unless im with buddies, in this I will squad up and turn the mic on with randoms far more often.

I just don't like the idea of being in a match where someone on my team is sabotaging our efforts because "Don't hate the player! Hate the game! YOLO!!".
    And if that's going to be dev-sanctioned outside of PC, then I would much rather spend my free time playing other games.
    Pitty, because it looks like this could be a fun game. Eventually.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Well here's the thing. Only a small percent of the player base currently participates in PC. Even if you are a member of a corp big enough to participate, you likely have to be one of the top players with skill points enough to allow for proto gear to get involved.
    [...]
    PC is a big component to DUST, but it isnt the only part. In fact, a majority of players havent remotely touched it, and most likely wont ever. Its still a fun, unique FPS without PC. The controls are a little below the typical AAA game, but I hear most PS3 FPS games have control issues. For me and my buddies, it sort of feels like a crazy hybrid of Halo. COD and BF3. A little crappier at everything than those 3 games, but because its so more more in depth, it offers its own rewards.

Also, the social aspect is bigger in this game than most. In other games I almost always play with mic off unless im with buddies, in this I will squad up and turn the mic on with randoms far more often.

I just don't like the idea of being in a match where someone on my team is sabotaging our efforts because "Don't hate the player! Hate the game! YOLO!!".
    And if that's going to be dev-sanctioned outside of PC, then I would much rather spend my free time playing other games.
    Pitty, because it looks like this could be a fun game. Eventually.

For what it's worth, just scrubbing it up I haven't had anything like that happen yet. Though it is possible of course. You seem to be trying really hard to like a game that you don't like, however. :p

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    [...] You seem to be trying really hard to like a game that you don't like, however. :p

I think the game has a lot of potential. It could turn it to a pretty darn great game that suits my just perfectly.
    At the moment it seems to still be in its early stage. (And if we view it as an MMO, those usually take some time to get their act together.)
    An actual MMO RPG FPS FPS with a deep skill tree where you pick and choose what to unlock ... sounds like a dream come true to me.

I just want to <3

[edit] But like I said, I guess I'm out.
    Doesn't look like CCP wants this to be the game I want it to be.
    And they are kind of calling the shots

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    [...] You seem to be trying really hard to like a game that you don't like, however. :p

I think the game has a lot of potential. It could turn it to a pretty darn great game that suits my just perfectly.
    At the moment it seems to still be in its early stage. (And if we view it as an MMO, those usually take some time to get their act together.)
    An actual MMO RPG FPS FPS with a deep skill tree where you pick and choose what to unlock ... sounds like a dream come true to me.

I just want to <3

[edit] But like I said, I guess I'm out.
    Doesn't look like CCP wants this to be the game I want it to be.
    And they are kind of calling the shots

CCP do kinda sorta actually do the player interaction and feedback thing. If you'd like to see Dust evolve in a direction, getting involved and speaking up can bear fruit. I can personally attest to this.

• Options
    One person speaking up about who it would be cool if a game set in the EVE universe didn't have people griefing/sabotaging/messing about/whatever ... doesn't sound so much as a start of a revoulution, as it sounds like a mad person. :)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Honestly Commodore, there is zero incentive to greif in this game. Compared to every FPS Ive ever played I see WAY less greifing in DUST. In fact, because of SP and ISK rewards via (somewhat) your effectiveness on the battlefield, it has incentives not to.

COD? Halo? BF3? Tons more.

The worst I see in pub matches is people AFKing to get free money and hurting the team that way.

Yes, in Planetary Conquest and MAYBE even Faction Warfare (but I doubt it) you see people doing EVE style "espionage" but you dont see this in pub matches. OK, I admit, one game out of a couple hundred, two squads from the same corp ended up against eachother and they all hung up on top of a building shooting people below. That was literally the worst thing ive seen in this game.
    Unrelated; forcing the game to play at 480p via your PS3 settings improves performance tremendously.

I tried this once. And believe it or not, it made my mic stop working in the squad chat with my buddy. I have no idea how.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not super clear on what Commodore is worried about. Even if there were some sort of griefing taking place in Instant Battles, there's nothing riding on the game outcome and nothing to stop you from being successful even if your team is going to lose it. In an absolute worst case scenario, you're only stuck with a given set of pubs for five-to-seven minutes. Or you can just leave the match entirely.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Honestly Commodore, there is zero incentive to greif in this game. Compared to every FPS Ive ever played I see WAY less greifing in DUST. In fact, because of SP and ISK rewards via (somewhat) your effectiveness on the battlefield, it has incentives not to.

COD? Halo? BF3? Tons more.

The difference being int those other games it's something you can report. (And avoid being thrown into games with them again.)
    Sounds like in Dust it's Part of the EVE PvP experince. Deal with it.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Except it's not...

What exactly is this nightmare zomg must report scenario you are envisioning? Teammates working against you? Doesn't happen. Can't happen. Wouldn't even matter if it did happen.*

Here's the thing: they call this a team game, but it's not. Not in pubs. What your team does doesn't matter in the fucking slightest. Usually having them around is more hindrance than help - all they do is provide a conveniently high-profile target for Orbital Strikes and grenades while emptying their magazines at thin fucking air.*

*Unless you are taking part in Planetary Conflict matches, which are a totally optional part of the game. An optional part that is basically broken/unplayable due to bugs anyway. I've been playing for over a year now and I have no intention of ever touching PC.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I mean, I suppose there isnt much recourse you can do if someone does something you dont like. But, there isnt friendly fire or anything in public matches. There honestly isnt a way for them to "grief" you in this. If there is a bug and they exploit it, you can report that to get the bug fixed, but there hasnt even been many exploits like that.

Look, I've been around the ringer as far as FPS games go. The DUST playerbase, is probably one of the most mature I've seen. Other than the one incident I mentioned, I havent seen one thing that would possibly fit under the category of griefing.

I do hump people in the pre-game lobby (warbridge), but thats just my badass dance moves.

Also, Should we start a PA chat channel? Seems to be at least a handful of us playing.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Ugh this is getting bad... nine point five meters per second sprint speed just feels so slow.
    I... I think I have a problem.

• Options
    One person speaking up about who it would be cool if a game set in the EVE universe didn't have people griefing/sabotaging/messing about/whatever ... doesn't sound so much as a start of a revoulution, as it sounds like a mad person. :)

Well, that's CCP games for you. Sabotage, espionage and treachery is just headshotting by other means as far as they're concerned, which is a legitimate perspective.

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    I've logged 3-4 hours in this game so far but I'm still not getting it. So can someone just tell me what skills to buy if I want to help my team but suck at shooting dudes? Also, what's the cheapest gear I can get that's better than militia?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So, is anyone sort of in the know or heard anything about how happy CCP is or isn't with the current state of Dust? I mean, do they feel like they put our a barebones game and are planning to keep adding stuff or are they happy with what they have on offer right now?

Because I feel like right now we have a really standard barbones battlefield style game. It's missing pretty much all of the neat stuff. I mean, where are MAVs? Or one way forcefields? Or deployable turrets? Or mortars? Or spider mines that chase people down? Or jetpacks? Or combat drones for Gallente? Or anything neat at all?

And man the fact that they took the mode from Battlefield 2142 where you capture points on the map that shoots missiles at the enemy ship, but then left out the part where you have to go siege the enemy ship yourself which was the ENTIRE reason that mode was awesome makes me just sad. Like, why would you go out of your way to remind me of a game that is so much better than what I am currently playing?

I may pop my head into the game from time to time to build credits and spend skill points, but, thats only if CCP plans to keep adding stuff until the game actually becomes interesting. As it stands I'd rather dump my yen into Border Break for some fun battlefield action that actually has neat gameplay mechanics.

• Options
    My concern about all the "cool stuff" is that they cant even balance normal stuff well. Look at how crazy LAVs are right now. Or how much better the TAR is than any other gun. And now I hear they added in explode on contact nades, so awesome, insta kills for people who can aim within 4 meters of me...

I like this game, but some of the decisions just are crazy to me. Balance is one thing, but fun balance is another. They seem to fail at the second. As OP as the TAR is, at least TAR on TAR fights are sort of fun. Dodging LAVs really isnt. Yet the TAR gets a nerf before LAVs.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    CCP view it as a living game, just like EVE. The plan is apparently to do a few major content releases each year.
    What we have now is definitely just the beginning.

As for balance and mechanics, yeah.... the dev team don't seem to actually test or even think about the consequences of changes they make to the game. They sort've seem to just change things at random and hope for the best. There have been devposts to suggest they're not happy with the murder taxi plague though.

Jombalaya wrote: »
    I've logged 3-4 hours in this game so far but I'm still not getting it. So can someone just tell me what skills to buy if I want to help my team but suck at shooting dudes? Also, what's the cheapest gear I can get that's better than militia?

Nanohives and Active Scanners are the most helpful things you can use to give your team an edge.
    Shield Extender modules are useful for keeping you alive, and you should try to get Minmatar Logistics Dropsuit to level 3 so that you have some extra equipment slots to play around with.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Murder taxi is pretty ridiculous. I don't think it's hard to avoid it, if you stick close to cover, but people get so many kills doing it, it's insane. As far as I can tell it's an insta-kill if you get run over? Maybe they just need to change it by lowering the damage?

I think the main problem with the "living game" approach, is that while it's a cool way to do things, I don't know how well that sells to console people, especially with all the CoD/BF/whatever games already out there. I like the game, I hope it sticks around, and I have to assume that they have eventually PS4 plans with it, because I don't see how it can be long-term viable on PS3.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    I spend so much time sneaking around that friendly murdertaxis generally cause me more trouble than hostile murdertaxis.

It's a lot like this: pa-dayz.jpg

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, is anyone sort of in the know or heard anything about how happy CCP is or isn't with the current state of Dust? I mean, do they feel like they put our a barebones game and are planning to keep adding stuff or are they happy with what they have on offer right now?

CCP have explicitly committed to an EVE-style continuous development model, with regular free expansion patches.

• Options
    So, this game is a bit of a joke until they balance the LAVs better. Murder Taxi epidemic is just hilariously bad gameplay. I maybe get hit by one once a night, but its still just so silly to see half the players in the game just trying to run over the other half while they shoot at each other. Trying to show this game to friends right now is impossible, everyone will just laugh at it and walk away.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You could like... blow them up? There's nothing stopping you. Never been a better time to learn the joys of the Breach Forge - nothing more satisfying than playing chicken with them and watching the burning wreckage tumble away while evaporating.

I know... I know. Last night I ended up in a situation where I, personally, was being hounded by four of them at once. Sometimes you have to put aside your k/d for awhile and hammer some nails.

The good news is that they fixed the TAR and people are actually using a variety of guns now. Also armor tanking is getting a pass in the next couple weeks supposedly - new modules, a reduction to the move speed penalty, possibly some armor-tanking related bonuses to some of the gallente suits.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    I actually feel bad for hav right now. The amount of AV on the field to deal with annoying lav means the big slow hav get murdered.

I should throw a breach forge fit on so I can one shot lavs cause my assault isn't getting it done and then they drive away all smug.

That being said I'm starting to fall in love with heavies. People seem to assume I'm useless and then I calmly headshot then with my pistol.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've actually started sniping in this game, and I almost never snipe in FPSes, because 99% of the player base is so oblivious that I can usually go through all of my sniper ammo without someone even taking a single shot at me. I generally only die when I have to go pistol hunting.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    If you get shot in the back of the head with a TY-5 Breach Scrambler, it was probably me.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    I just started playing this a few days ago, anyone here play on the regular? I recently applied to Merch Industrial Corp. (used to be a member several years back when I played EvE)

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    I play a few nights a week. I found there is a PennyArcade chat channel and have joined it, so if you join it you can see me if im on.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    new patch today, lots of small upgrades: devblog.

new control layout for the LAVs feels godawful, and be careful because it seems like everyone has defaulted to it. but the old layouts are still there so no major issue.

nanite injector works again, yay.

the new armor modules exist as promised, one that gives reduced armor with no movement penalty, and another that gives reduced armor but also minor armor repair. personally i don't think they hold up to well, they are fairly heavy on PG/CPU. especially compared to the nearly fitting free basic armor plate for 65 armor and only 3% movement penalty.

and the biggest change is the new weapons range system. it's definitely noticeable with my assault scrambler rifle, and really just makes the game "feel" better. most of my AR friends say they can't feel much difference however, so maybe this is CCP implementing the range advantage scramblers should have had all along?

Buzzwords on
  • Options
    Possibly relevant: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/02/ccps-sean-decker-and-hilmar-petursson-on-the-future-of-eve-dus/

tl;dr: CCP have got the guy from Electronic Arts who used to run the Battlefield series as their senior VP.

EVE players have the Jita monument pre-locked, but the assumption is that Decker has been brought in specifically to turn DUST around.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    The new armor modules are mostly relevant to Gallente suits which have a lot of low slots and only 1 or 2 high slots. You can sort've mix 'n match for optimal results. The problem was that you'd always get stuck picking between a rep and a plate.

On a related note, I used my respec to put blow 3 million SP on Gallente Scout V. :ar!

That bit about Decker is probably good news. The devteam are basically hopeless wankers, in terms of putting together an actual FPS with actual netcode and actually decent controls and actual weapon balance.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    I've tried Move. I have stupid fingers/stupid arms, though, and I consume approximately a pot and a half of coffee every day so the cursor looks like a gnat on meth trying desperately to hover still.

Most people seem to over estimate the sensitivity they need to run at. Hell, I cranked mine down on my PC shooters, and my ToT went way up.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Triple SP for July 4 - 10

• Options
    So I decided to play my alt for a couple games last night and spend a bunch of SP on getting the core flaylock. So stupid. So, so stupid. Like, I knew logically it was broken but I didnt feel like I could complain too much until I tried it. Its just ridiculously unfair. Im tempted to use my SP from this week on doing it with my main, but a mixture of not wanting to be cheap and knowing itll be nerfed is making me stay my hand.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    "you know what this game needs? more grenade launchers!" said no one ever.

• Options
    Murder taxis nerfed.
    More nerfs to follow.

• Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    so, got this for ps3 because, hell, it's free.

sort of intimidating and confusing, but seems pretty fun. anyone play this still?

PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    FauxRealFauxReal Registered User regular
    I just started playing this again yesterday. Haven't played since a few months ago before a respec. On each map I just hung out on top of a tower sniping people, nobody seemed to be looking up there.

Steam: PusherBot
    XBL: SchematicRat
    PSN: SchematicRat

Msg. me so I know you're from PA.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the next update ( should be soon) to get back into this. They are turning on aim assist again which should make aiming feel less clunky. Hopefully some new toys too but I dunno

616610-1.png