As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamma Correction - Computer Monitor (Acer B273H)

WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
I have noticed for awhile that many games I play on my PC seem washed out. I attributed this mostly to an unintentional comparison with my wife's iMac that is in the same room, which looks beautiful. I figured that it was simply that her monitor retails for about 3-4 times the cost of mine. C'est la vie.

However, Neverwinter was looking particularly muddy, so I decided to try some more robust monitor calibration (other than brightness, contrast, and in-game gamma). I tried several websites with tuning images, all with the same results. For the purposes of this post, I'm referencing this website.

My monitor's current setting show the "blending" occurs at around 1.3 (48%), 1.5 (25%) and 1.7 (10%). When I adjust my gamma, using either the Windows 7 interface or the NVIDIA Control Panel, I cannot get it to the desired 2.2 height. When I drop the gamma all the way down, the blending occurs at 1.7 (48%), 1.8 (25%), and 1.9 (10%), but everything looks really burnt. I've tried also adjusting the brightness and contrast with marginal success to compensate for the distortion caused by the extreme gamma setting. I'm still no where near a gamma of 2.2.

First question: Am I approaching this wrong?

Second question: How do I fix it?

Alternate question: Is my monitor "bad"?

Thanks for your help.

Windburn on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    What monitor are you using?

Some monitors are cheap and just won't go to where you want. I've had $800 screens that don't look as good as my current Apple screen even after adjustments and calibrations, you're setting the bar really high by comparing it to an iMac.

You might want to look into a physical calibrator, such as they Huey or Spyder series. They are pricey, but if you want an accurate color gamut you're either going to have to spend on a fancy monitor or a good calibrator.

• Options
    I am using an Acer B273H.

The iMac comparison is pretty much my explanation up until I tried to correct the gamma. It seems way off. More than just relative to another monitor.

I have briefly looked into the Spyder calibrators. Do you have a suggestion regarding which model? I am running a dual display, if that makes a difference.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is you computer seeing your monitor's name listed in displays or is it running a generic driver? Maybe just go download the most recent driver from Acer just to be sure.

• Options
    @nexuscrawler
    I verified that my computer is running the most up to date driver from Acer (unfortunately, it is almost 4 years old).

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    moved to Moe's by request.