As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Flipping tables throughout history.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    or did he

• Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    If he gets the part all I will be able to think of whenever I see him is the prime minister from 'The National Anthem' episode of Black Mirror.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    As this thread draws to a close it is time

for me

to
    POST THE WORST SONG EVER WRITTEN!
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In 1985, when the production of [Doctor Who] was suspended for a year and it looked as if it faced cancellation, a charity single was produced and released in March. When news of the single was announced, it was rumoured that the recording session would include the Village People, together with self-confessed Doctor Who fans Elton John and Holly Johnson. This, however, did not eventuate. Instead, organisers secured the involvement of 25 mid-level performers. The resulting supergroup recorded and released the single under the name Who Cares?, with the participation of four regulars from the TV series: Colin Baker (the Sixth Doctor), Nicola Bryant (companion Peri Brown), Nicholas Courtney (recurring character Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart) and Anthony Ainley (the Master).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1AjE4eDH8
    Proceeds from the single went to the charity Cancer Research. The single, which was released on Friday, 15 March 1985, was universally panned. Even the BBC itself refused to broadcast the song on its radio stations on the grounds of its poor quality. [Co-writer] Levine himself later told The Guardian, "It was an absolute balls-up fiasco. It was pathetic and bad and stupid. It tried to tell the Doctor Who history in an awful high-energy song. It almost ruined me." The single failed to chart in the UK.
    When the words "WHO CARES" pop up at the 2:20 mark, it's almost as if the song itself is protesting its own existence.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    He already played Rassilon though.

rassilon turns out to be future doctor confirmed

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Here's a crazy thought. What if John Hurt Doctor doesn't come after Eleven or in between Eight and Nine... but predates One?

Of course it's a crazy thought because you don't go from being that war-weary guy to a doddery old academic who nearly gets people killed on his first adventures because he can't extricate himself from dangerous situations. But still, it blew my mind for a few seconds when it occurred to me.

Andrew Cartmel just got some shivers.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    One of the bookie's lists had Rory Kinnear up at the top but... I don't know

I'm sure he's a fine actor but all I remember about him from Skyfall was "boring government functionary number 5"

Alt post: boy are all my female friends going to be mad the Doctor won't be cute anymore

Oh damn, this Web Planet DVD has a hi-def PDF of the full 1966 Doctor Who Annual. It's got a bunch of illustrated, original stories about The First Doctor. The writing appears to be of high quality too. Do you think it would be alright for me to share the Dropbox link?

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Alt post: boy are all my female friends going to be mad the Doctor won't be cute anymore

My mom almost immediately complained.
    "That old guy can't be the Doctor!"

"Why?" I said. "The Doctor has to be young and sexy all the time?"

"YES!"

IKknkhU.gif
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Wait what, you think he's old? I was hoping for an actual old doctor, this guy is way too young.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    He just seems so bland
    Young or old, it doesn't really matter (in the dark)
    But he should have a lot of character, and Kinnear looks of no determinate age and he has thinning hair and a round face and just generally looks like a pretty forgettable bloke

I've been watching some interviews and clips and he's a very nice guy, but I see nothing to get me excited about the prospect of him as the Doctor

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'll be honest

I'm most disappointed because damn it, it's 2013, why is it a white guy again

Yeah I would much rather it be a not white guy or a woman, but would settle for ooooold white guy.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    It seems like a return to the Doctors of the past.

Which I am pretty okay with.

IKknkhU.gif
    Wait this guy hasn't been confirmed has he?

aGPmIBD.jpg
    No and according to some person on twitter he wasn't even offered it and is annoyed about the rumor. Internet.....

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Wait, which guy are you talking about?

I thought we were talking about
    John Hurt

IKknkhU.gif
    I don't think
    John Hurt is going to be past the 50th Anniversary Special. And also possibly an earlier incarnation.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    If John Hurt was the next doctor... I'd be okay with that.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    meh?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    just found out that James Roberts, author of mtmte, likes love and monsters

his son does not
    James Roberts ‏@jroberts332 6m
    "You only like it cos it's all about characters and talking."
    - My son responds disdainfully to my defence of Doctor Who's 'Love & Monsters'

There was a massive flare up on the internet recently of rumours that a massive cache of OldWho episodes had been discovered. It's almost certainly false though. Sigh.

Did anyone actually predict Matt Smith or Tennant before they were confirmed for the role?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    There was a massive flare up on the internet recently of rumours that a massive cache of OldWho episodes had been discovered. It's almost certainly false though. Sigh.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/17/more-on-those-missing-doctor-who-episodes-or-less/

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    man i can see Damian Lewis, after watching the show Life, playing the Doctor.

And hey he'll finally be ginger!

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

On the one hand, I would love to see a lady play the role. On the other, I don't want to see Moffat write a lady in the role, because Moffat is terrible at writing women.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Russell Brand has also been linked to the role.

I'm pretty sure no one has ever actually seriously thought "Russell Brand might be a good Doctor"

He'd make a decent Meddling Monk though.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Holy crap. The rumor that a startling 90 episodes of lost Doctor Who material had been recovered seemed too good to be true. So we weren't entirely surprised when it was shot down. But now, the world's biggest expert on missing episodes is saying it's true after all. Could our dreams be real?

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    @Butler your av is perfect right now

edited June 2013
    If this turns out to be bullshit I swear to God I will go full fucking Valeyard IRL.
    original.gif

Butler on
    That rumor is cool and all.

But what I really want are blu-ray/streaming versions of all the old episodes we actually know about.

IKknkhU.gif
    Motherfucker

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    welp, Butler's going to go Valeyard

this will be bad

I'M SO DAMN ANGRY RIGHT NOW

ANGRY ENOUGH TO CLIMB THIS RADIO TELESCOPE TOWER

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Russell Brand has also been linked to the role.

I'm pretty sure no one has ever actually seriously thought "Russell Brand might be a good Doctor"

I bet this just comes from a radio interview Brand did recently, where he said that playing the Doctor would be fun.

Run that through the media mangler, suddenly it's a hot tip.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    No Butler it's not worth it!

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Look on the bright side. Somewhere out there, 40+ light years away, some alien geek could be enjoying some of those lost episodes right now.
    And then going on his planet's internet-equivalent where he keeps getting his hopes up whenever someone trolls him with news that the rest of the broadcasts reached his planet, even though they never will since the Earth will have been in a different position and broadcasted the other episodes out to a completely different part of space.

This discussion has been closed.