As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833828

So I've posted several polite chat threads over in SE++. The last one was locked by Cardboard Tube with a VERY rude reply. I wasn't rude at all I really did want to chat about the subjects I posted.

I'm abit upset.

I sent a copy of this to Apotheos as well.

You told us if we feel we are being treated unfairly in SE++ to send you a message. Lord knows my chat thread was polite and an interesting topic compared to some of the other stuff in there

Honest truth. I know the rules particularly about posting issues like this and fully expect to be jailed for posting this thread and accept that the punishment is deserved. That's what I like about G&T. There are rules that have to be obeyed and if you break them you pay the price. Today though it's a price I'm willing to pay if somebody up top -- ANYBODY up top will at least listen and see and hear the pain many of us G&T'ers are feeling.

Me and other G&T'ers feel that the mods at SE++ are coming down hard on us. How are we supposed to "chat" in SE++ if even the mods lock anything we post up? I REALLY wasn't trying to be a dick in my threads over there although it seemed that everyone else who replied was -- including the mod that locked the thread above.

I'm not being made to feel welcome at all over there. I miss G&T. :(

Bamelin on

• RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sup guys.

What's going on here?

Ranced on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Your thread was locked because it belonged here anyway.

And it did kind of suck.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It was off topic. I wanted to chat about it. I thought chat threads aren't allowed here anymore?

Bamelin on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2006
    How the fuck was my reply rude?

Tube on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

G&T is

SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    For once it wasn't. Losing your touch, CT?

<3

Faricazy on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't think most G&Ters are prone to just jumping in and derailing any thread from its set topic.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited September 2006
    Card, first off my apologies, I wrote the "mod was rude" part in anger. Many of us from G&T are new in SE++. What I saw was I post something up, get flamed mercilessly by SE'ers and then it gets locked by a mod with no explanation except "Try it in G&T"

We've been told in no uncertain terms that OFF TOPIC chat threads are not allowed at all in G&T ... not even chat threads about games and technology that are intended to be on AND off topic.

So where are we supposed to post?

Bamelin on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    How are we supposed to "chat" in SE++ if even the mods lock anything we post up?

1) There are so many threads going on in SE++ that you don't necessarily need to make a new thread for every idea you have. Chances are that if a thread is past page 5, it's been derailed at least twice

2) You made three or four threads that all had to do with the same thing (gaming). "What do you drink while gaming?" "What do you listen to?" "What kind of chair do you sit in?" All of them are pretty dumb and even if they weren't, could be condensed into one thread

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    I don't think most G&Ters are prone to just jumping in and derailing any thread from its set topic.
    well, that's what you'd do with a chat thread

every thread is a chat thread

it's a chat forum

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    For once it wasn't. Losing your touch, CT?

<3

It was hurried, I had to go back to raping your sister to death with your grandmother's little finger.

Tube on
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    How are we supposed to "chat" in SE++ if even the mods lock anything we post up?

1) There are so many threads going on in SE++ that you don't necessarily need to make a new thread for every idea you have. Chances are that if a thread is past page 5, it's been derailed at least twice

2) You made three or four threads that all had to do with the same thing (gaming). "What do you drink while gaming?" "What do you listen to?" "What kind of chair do you sit in?" All of them are pretty dumb and even if they weren't, could be condensed into one thread

First off what is considered "dumb" is completely interpretational depending on who you are. My topics would have been welcomed in G&T in the old days, especially in the old G&T chat threads/console threads.

Secondly, people in G&T know me, I was hoping that G&T chatters, lost and afloat would see a familiar name and congregate to that thread so at least we can touch base. As it stands now, anything posted by a former G&T chatter is generally being flamed to death or the topic is being derailed beyond belief.

G&T Chat and console threads while straying off topic tended to always get back to whatever the OP topic is. This doesn't happen in SE++

Bamelin on
    edited September 2006

it's a chat forum

If it's a chat forum why was my thread locked? I really DID want to chat about music in games.

Bamelin on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is this where I make a penis joke?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited September 2006
    ...and you'd know that, because you've been posting in SE for all of a day.

Tube on
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    As it stands now, anything posted by a former G&T chatter is generally being flamed to death or the topic is being derailed beyond belief.

G&T Chat and console threads while straying off topic tended to always get back to whatever the OP topic is. This doesn't happen in SE++
    No they aren't. Look at the bear thread.

And, surprise surprise, SE isn't G&T. Doesn't work quite the same.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2006

it's a chat forum
    Then what's the point in having more than one thread to begin with?

If I see a topic of a thread that catches my eye and feel like discussing it, only to open it on page 5 and see that it's been long derailed, then what's the point?

I don't expect it to change. I don't even really want it to change. I just won't bother taking part in it, probably.

Sixfortyfive on
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

G&T is

But that thread is not appropriate here, as GnT does not allow poll threads.

Amphetamine on
    edited September 2006

G&T is

that's true

but the point was that it is not at all appropriate for SE, and would be more appropriate in G*T

i'm not saying that it'd survive there, but it belongs there more than it does in SE

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2006
    ...and you'd know that, because you've been posting in SE for all of a day.

I've lurked in SE in the past even made a couple posts. As six stated almost EVERY thread gets derailed there.

The reason people (and myself) enjoyed chatting in G&T console threads is because we could go slightly off topic without the thread being derailed from the original OP.

In SE most topics are lucky if they get 2 pages before complete derailment/thread assassination.

Bamelin on
    edited September 2006

G&T is

that's true

but the point was that it is not at all appropriate for SE, and would be more appropriate in G*T

i'm not saying that it'd survive there, but it belongs there more than it does in SE
    It would have been locked in G&T, and rightfully so. What is appropriate for SE?

Sixfortyfive on
    edited September 2006

G&T is

that's true

Orikae. The thread would be locked in GnT because it falls under the "poll thread" category, which GnT does not allow. It's not a question of whether it will survive or not, the rules do not allow poll threads. There is no good place to post that question.

Amphetamine on
    edited September 2006

G&T is

that's true

This is the dilema of former G&T chatters. Alot of what we post most DEFINATELY won't cut it in SE++.

And G&T doesn't want us anymore. So where do we go?

Regarding the question, even if it was stated not as a poll but as a general topic, G&T seems to be focusing more on being about game news and game technology. Music played while gaming seems to stray abit from that into the "let's chat about gaming music" catagory.

Bamelin on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The link in the OP confirmed my long held suspicion that I should never ever enter the SE forum. People voluntarily post on that board? People with measurable intelligence?

The mods expecting the G&T folks to cheerfully migrate over there and chat like they used to? Brilliant idea*. Seriously, an entire forum where hijacking an existing thread is preferred over making a new one is the most retarded idea I have ever come across.

that's sarcasm if you missed it

xzzy on
    edited September 2006

G&T is

that's true

Orikae. The thread would be locked in GnT because it falls under the "poll thread" category, which GnT does not allow. It's not a question of whether it will survive or not, the rules do not allow poll threads. There is no good place to post that question.
    Right.

I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.

Even if they wouldn't have stayed open.

Do you see my point? I've spent most of today on this forum and I'm tired, so please excuse any unclear-ness.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maybe if the threads you made were actually interesting (As opposed to the dietary and sitting habits of the average gamer), they wouldnt've been locked.

His Corkiness on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    First off what is considered "dumb" is completely interpretational depending on who you are. My topics would have been welcomed in G&T in the old days, especially in the old G&T chat threads/console threads.

They may have been welcomed, but it doesn't mean they weren't dumb. They were poll threads. Poll threads by default are dumb. Nobody really cares what chair you sit in during gaming, or what drink you sip on, or what music you listen in on.
    Bamelin wrote:
    Secondly, people in G&T know me, I was hoping that G&T chatters, lost and afloat would see a familiar name and congregate to that thread so at least we can touch base. As it stands now, anything posted by a former G&T chatter is generally being flamed to death or the topic is being derailed beyond belief.

The G&T "chatter" topics are being locked and flamed because they are stupid. They're going through the mentality that SE++ is a place to type "cocks dicks lol" and post mind numbingly retarded pictures that you found on 4chan.

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.
    You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited September 2006
    Maybe if the threads you made were actually interesting (As opposed to the dietary and sitting habits of the average gamer), they wouldnt've been locked.

I've posted gaming chair topics before in G&T that have lasted many pages. The problem is more that the people interested in seriously discussing and chatting about that sort of thing (while having the freedom to stray off topic now and then) are in G&T ... not SE++.

Bamelin on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's a chat forum. We chat about miscellaneous things in every thread. Knowing that most threads eventually degenerate into the same trivial banter after a very short amount of time, we are usually harder on what threads are made, and generally scoff at most threads simply because we don't really need yet another thread about absolutely nothing. I'm sorry if your thread was not deemed one of these. That's the way it goes, but don't blame a chat forum for being off topic. It's kind of what we do.

Javen on
    edited September 2006

You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.

True, but Bamelin's intent to have G&T converstaion in SE was pretty clear.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    This is the dilema of former G&T chatters. Alot of what we post most DEFINATELY won't cut it in SE++.

And G&T doesn't want us anymore. So where do we go?

:arrow:

Garlic Bread on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    There should be a chat thread for threads like "so, what music are you listening to right now"
    People post for a bit, then topic switches.

I just don't like the idea of 25 individual topics where EVERY topic is off-topic.
    Sure, it stays on topic for the first few pages, but it always veers off.
    Wanna talk about the bear thread? It just went from bears to Canada to Canada meet up.

FFS!

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I get a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of this while many people are learning what flies in SE++ and what doesn't

The general rule is, if your thread seems dumb at all to you, you probably shouldn't post it

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited September 2006

There's even a 360 thread in SE http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679

That would seem to be more G&T's province isn't it?

It just seems that the rules are contradictory. I don't know what's appropriate to post where now. SE definately talks about games. It's the lax rules in terms of forum etiquette and chat in SE++ that seperates the two.

Bamelin on
    edited September 2006

True, but Bamelin's intent to have G&T converstaion in SE was pretty clear.
    BUT THAT CONVERSATION ISNT ALLOWED IN GNT BECAUSE IT IS A POLL THREAD.

Seriously orikae, Bamelin's question is the kind of shit that would have flown in the GnT chat thread, no two ways about it.

Amphetamine on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2006
    Man, if you really want to test your theory that you're being discriminated against, go dig up an SE++ thread from months ago, slightly alter the OP to your topic of choice, and compare the results.

Honestly, the scientific method is a far better indicator than random guessing and accusations.

Aroduc on
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:

There's even a 360 thread in SE http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679

That would seem to be more G&T's province isn't it?

It just seems that the rules are contradictory. I don't know what's appropriate to post where now. SE definately talks about games. It's the lax rules in terms of forum etiquette and chat in SE++ that seperates the two.

If you read the thread title, it's the SE++ 360 thread because SEers would rather play with each other than with G&Ters

Garlic Bread on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    There should be a chat thread for threads like "so, what music are you listening to right now"
    People post for a bit, then topic switches.

I just don't like the idea of 25 individual topics where EVERY topic is off-topic.
    Sure, it stays on topic for the first few pages, but it always veers off.
    Wanna talk about the bear thread? It just went from bears to Canada to Canada meet up.

FFS!

But see we generally have a music thread, and a book thread, and a few gaming threads, and other things that DO stay on topic.

But we're an OFF TOPIC forum. Don't get into a tizzy because we dont really feel a 'WHATS YOUR FAVORITE CAKE' thread makes the cut

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    i think i'll get some sleep before getting into this for the sixth or twentieth time today

Orikaeshigitae on
This discussion has been closed.