As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Removing Old Thermal Paste

SentrySentry Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've finally cracked my 360 down to its most basic components... getting the X-clamps off was a colossal bitch... before anyone asks, I cracked it open after the warranty expired, about 12 hours before X-Box extended all warranties... which sucks.

Anyway, I have some arctic silver to make this bad boy run cooler... but I need to get the old crap off. I have some rubbing alcohol, but it doesn't seem to be working well. Anyone have any suggestions?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wrote:
When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sentry on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Razor-knife is the method I've always heard.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    hmm... good call. I'll try it. Thanks Than. Err... Thin.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wouldn't recommend using a razor knife. Scratching the metal isn't really a good thing.

91% isopropyl alcohol and a no-lint cloth is what I've always used. A coffee filter will actually work wonderfully in place of the cloth.

Edgie on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know, they sell products specifically for this purpose. 6 bucks for, like, a lifetime supply (or at least the lifetime of your hardware).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

whuppins on
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Edgie wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend using a razor knife. Scratching the metal isn't really a good thing.

91% isopropyl alcohol and a no-lint cloth is what I've always used. A coffee filter will actually work wonderfully in place of the cloth.

I've used isopropyl in the past and its worked very well for removing the gunk off the chip.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to second whuppins' suggestion. I've used the stuff he linked a few times in the past and it has always worked great for me.

Zifnab on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the advice all. I'm very curious about the stuff from New Egg, but I want to get this done this weekend (Bioshock is out!!) so I'm going to try the alcohol solution on the chips themselves, I used a blade for the bottom of the heat sinks.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. We can lock this bad boy down now.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've always used 91% isopropyl and a lint free device, terry cloth what not. It's always worked great. If its bulked on there, use a razor blade, or the like to "scoop/scrap/move" it off, don't scrap low enough with the blade to touch the chip/heatspreader. You obviously don't want to hit the proc, or even if its just the heatspreader, you don't want to put gashes in there. Just use it to remove mass amounts, then switch to the Isopropyl

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

Seconded. Any scraping is a very bad idea.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This is the correct answer.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Razor-knife is the method I've always heard.

If you must scrape, use something that is softer than the metal you are trying to clean. Something plastic would be your safest bet, but if you know the properties of the cpu face or heat sink, you could use a softer metal scraper.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg