As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Judging from the beta weekend I played the game is very vanilla. Might still be worth running through a few acts to try it out, though.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm done with Smite, I got to the point where I stopped getting pooled with people who were as ultimately casual as me and instead got to meet the people who actually enjoy MOBAs. It seems that these people are absolutely convinced that their commentary on how terrible I am is a valuable addition to my enjoyment of the game.

It was all fun and games when everyone sucked, but when there are always one or two players who are just better at everything than you are the game moves away from being a nice way to kill half an hour.

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That's my experience with all competitive games. Eventually you reach a point where you need to start investing time just to break even and there are just too many games and not enough free time for me to justify it. :(

So, RO2 is as boring as reported, I am glad I saw the grasshopper band, though. I loved those guys in RO1.

I also tried to play Elsword again, but can't access the server as they are now blocking people who aren't in NA. =/ There's no global version that I could find on Google.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    rustyzippo wrote: »
    Dragon's Prophet is going open beta on May 30. They're also selling the founders packs for 25% off. A $15 founders pack includes $20 of SOE dollars, so if you need some Sony funbux, might be worth checking out.
    Already? I'm surprised, when I played during a weekend a couple of weeks ago the game didn't feel nearly finished enough for an open beta, let alone a We Are Selling Packs advertisement open beta.

Been playing it a bit. It is rather fun.
    One thing I really like about the combos is how they dont have to be done EXACTLY in order like in Aion or TERA. So if you were doing like 2 of 3 attacks in a combo but needed to dodge, you can and the 3rd attack will still be ready for use for a few seconds. In TERA, if I start a combo and have to block or something, that combo is reset and I have to wait on the cooldown or start over.

The only thing I wish I knew more about is the endgame PVP. I've heard things like "territory control", "player houses", "guild cities".... "SWG type things..." Saying its like old SWG player cities is not something you just casually mention without drawing my attention. However its hard to find real definitive video or evidence of how it really works. Hell the level cap right now is apparently really low and the game goes to like 200 or something.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited June 2013
    I played it for an evening again the other day- I do like the combo system in theory, but it just feels too floaty and unreliable for my taste. In TERA it felt meaty and snappy, but my Oracle was just all over the place, sometimes he'd stop at the enemy, sometimes he'd clip right through them and whiff behind them. What also spoils the feeling of doing damage is that enemies don't seem to have any "I was hit" animation. In TERA they reel and you get a blood spurt, in DP (...okay, that's a terrible acronym, let's never use it again) their health bar just shortens a bit. It feels like you're doing a dance for them and then they keel over dead.

Essentially, it feels like a first stage of developing a combat system, before you put in the polish to make it feel good. But they're in open beta and taking money?

Glal on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Dragon's Prophet is in open beta months, if not a full year, early.

Which is sad, because the game seems fun, but if too many people with the mindset of "F2P game open beta=release" They'll try it, see the myriad of problems and just weird issues, wipe their hands of it, and walk on.

If you don't intent for your beta to be perceived as a marketing one you probably shouldn't be involving real money with it. I have many problems with Marvel Heroes, but they were smart enough to realize that hey, in beta? People shouldn't have to pay real money to get cash shop items. It's a beta. Don't charge people money to test systems for you, not even transaction systems.
    DProphet on the other hand is all "have an inventory of like 16 slots. Now pay real money to unlock more", all the while surrounding me with placeholder name strings. Yeah, how about no.

Glal wrote: »
    I played it for an evening again the other day- I do like the combo system in theory, but it just feels too floaty and unreliable for my taste. In TERA it felt meaty and snappy, but my Oracle was just all over the place, sometimes he'd stop at the enemy, sometimes he'd clip right through them and whiff behind them. What also spoils the feeling of doing damage is that enemies don't seem to have any "I was hit" animation. In TERA they reel and you get a blood spurt, in DP (...okay, that's a terrible acronym, let's never use it again) their health bar just shortens a bit. It feels like you're doing a dance for them and then they keel over dead.

Essentially, it feels like a first stage of developing a combat system, before you put in the polish to make it feel good. But they're in open beta and taking money?

I thought the game was already out in other countries for a while now... so I assume the combat is in a finished state already?

I was playing yesterday, never had much of a "floaty" feeling. TERA has really solid mob collision of course, so that makes a big difference in the first place. I think this has absolutely no collision?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Just accept that dragons prophet is not a good game. :p

Aldo wrote: »

Huh? The 6 hours I played were fun. Do I need to determine that I didn't have fun now?

If you know of another game where I can tame dragons and train them like supersized pokemon, then please let me know I would like to check it out.

Dragons Prophet is a completely unfinished game, that's for sure.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »

Huh? The 6 hours I played were fun. Do I need to determine that I didn't have fun now?

If you know of another game where I can tame dragons and train them like supersized pokemon, then please let me know I would like to check it out.

Dragons Prophet is a completely unfinished game, that's for sure.

Your username is Badwrong, indicating that your tastes are bad and that you are wrong. :P

In all seriousness though, a game can be bad yet still be fun. I enjoyed playing E.T. on the Atari 2600 as a kid, long before I knew it was one of the worst games ever.

Sorry @Badwrong, previous message was sent from my phone. Allow me to elaborate with a not "hurr hurr, i r clever" answer. I know it has the unique feature of training huge dragons, but reading your posts as well as various reviews it seems like they couldn't manage to make it into an actual game that can stand tall next to Vindictus, Neverwinter, TERA or various other games with the same combat mechanics in place. It seems like a fool's errand to get involved too deeply with this game.

--

In other news: well that was fast:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/09/petroglyph-to-shut-down-battle-for-graxia-just-two-months-after/

Sorry @Badwrong, previous message was sent from my phone. Allow me to elaborate with a not "hurr hurr, i r clever" answer. I know it has the unique feature of training huge dragons, but reading your posts as well as various reviews it seems like they couldn't manage to make it into an actual game that can stand tall next to Vindictus, Neverwinter, TERA or various other games with the same combat mechanics in place. It seems like a fool's errand to get involved too deeply with this game.

--

In other news: well that was fast:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/09/petroglyph-to-shut-down-battle-for-graxia-just-two-months-after/

Oh ya, I wasn't trying to imply that its something I'm gonna play very much of. Just that its not nearly as bad some peoples knee jerk reactions.

Its still very much to early to even be a beta. Hell the real level cap isn't even in yet, I cant even find a concrete answer on what the real cap is... I've heard it might be 120 or even 200.

What I did find that is cool about this game, is that it has a few sandbox features. The dragon taming and training is pretty open. The crafting is actually rather in depth and has variable stats. The endgame is also very much like SWG's player made cities/towns which revolve around PVP. That's a pretty big feature that you don't see much of. However with the level cap right now being 60 (or 65? I dunno) and the total "not even beta" feeling of it all, its nothing for anyone to really get into yet. But its totally free and fun to mess around with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Your username is Badwrong, indicating that your tastes are bad and that you are wrong. :P

I've seen this name breakdown more often lately, dunno why. Need more people who get the Kung Pow reference (not saying you dont).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I had fun with the game that I played, but the F2P boundaries are far too narrow for me. Inventory space is tiny (the level-based increments themselves are tiny), the dragon stable limit is tiny (really? 2? In a game revolving around dragons, where I can tame like 10 different dragons just in the starting area?) and I'm not overly happy with "come back every few hours to train your dragons... or pay real money and only do it occasionally", but the last one is merely an annoyance.
    The first two though... that 2-stable limit really chafes. It doesn't matter if they give me more as I level, getting 1 more is nothing, I feel like I should have 10 just from the get-go to even dip my toe in.

I'm trying out Siege Online, an imported title from Russia. The translation work is good, the voiced blurbs from characters are in Russian, but that has some charm to it, I think.

The game plays like a tactical game where you send soldiers in a straight line to the enemy, every soldier has their own specific enemy unit type it focuses on: melee-->siege-->archer-->melee, making it a kind of rock, paper, scissors game with the potential to become more complex. Between battles you directly control your character in town, where you talk to quest givers and purchase and gather the resources you need. A part of the game consists of building and improving a castle, where you can place your buildings, hire soldiers and (later on, I assume) gather resources. Your character is the youngest heir from a small kingdom sent away with the family heirloom and you're being chased by a cousin of your father. It's a very standard story, but it's easy to follow and has the potential to pay off later.

I just played it for an hour and it's a bit slow, but I am familiar enough with the tradition these kind of games are made in that I need to give it more time and attention to see if it's actually enjoyable. If you google the title you'll end up on the .ru domain, but the .com domain I'm playing through is: www.siege-online.com

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    ArchAge english beta signups are going on now.

Linky

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I really wanted to like Dragon Prophet.

But I, like many others, found the combat to be very "on ice". I really loved the dragon stuff... I just desperately wanted to take off the skates and actually be attached to the ground. Or maybe some actual clipping would help.

I don't know, it's a fun concept, it's just being pushed out the door way too early. Hopefully that doesn't kill it and in a year or so I can come back and enjoy the game.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Looks like GunZ 2 got Greenlit on Steam.

Get you're K-Style on.

steam_sig.png
    Rift has gone F2P.

Age of Wulin, the European version of Age of Wushu has just entered closed beta. Everyone has played the American version and is either very invested in their characters on there or has decided the game isn't to their liking. So unless Age of Wushu starts banning Europeans, the European version is destined to fail.

Yaaaaay borders.

I'm in the middle of moving and wrapping up a temp job, so I haven't been updating this a lot. In part this is because F2P is now so popular I can get my news from reading mainstream websites, in part it's because the MMO Underground is on hold and in part because I am quite happy with the F2P games currently installed: LOTRO, RIFT, Neverwinter, Path of Exile. I'm getting nostalgic about the time when F2P was unpopular. >_<

--

In related news, Ramin Shokrizade has written another insightful article on how fucked up F2P/social gaming is. He describes how [especially] Asian games are using every trick in the book to get players to spend up to $5k on their games. This has turned into such a problematic and opaque situation that Japan has outlawed some of these practises.

I'm never sure how serious I should take these articles when they discuss how the brain works, but his description of the tricks that are being used line up exactly with my experiences playing dozens of these games (including games on facebook and my Android phone).

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone here tried RIFT? I was thinking of giving it a try after seeing this week's MMO-Grinder but I'm not sure I want to devote a couple of days downloading it unless I'm sure it's worth it as a F2Per.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Rift is fun and totally doable as a complete free player.

Yeah, aside from the bag limit I had no problems with Rift.

When you join the pa/sa guild you can pick up some 10slot bags or buy some bigger ones. Itll be fine. The game is pretty nifty when it comes to grouping etc.

I guess I can give it a shot. The expansions need to be purchased though, right? How much is that gonna hold me back if I can't pay for them right now?

Only one paid expansion and at lower levels all it does is deny you some added flexibility when building your class. Due to the way classes work you can always just Get It later on if you decide to pay for it and use it on your existing characters.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    My friend and I really liked Tera, but he's decided that he's done with that specific game for now.

What would you guys suggest would be a good game to move on to?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Why was he done with Tera? (So we can suggest games that avoid what it was that burned him out)

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Another quick RIFT question. I've heard that there's guns in the game and I wanted to know which classes or souls in the case of this game used them.

Entaru wrote: »
    Why was he done with Tera? (So we can suggest games that avoid what it was that burned him out)

He was concerned that we had reached a point in the game where it was mostly going to be grinding until we actually reached max level. (I don't necessarily agree, but eh.)

He liked that the combat was more than just 1 2 3 1 1 2 3 2 or whatever.

He thought the community was nice.

Steam profile
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Another quick RIFT question. I've heard that there's guns in the game and I wanted to know which classes or souls in the case of this game used them.

Rogues, for any of their ranged-based souls. (I think warriors can also equip them, but their only ranged soul uses swords for its skills, so... yeah. You'll never see it out unless you manually perform a ranged autoattack... wands suffer this as well.)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited July 2013
    kime wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

He was concerned that we had reached a point in the game where it was mostly going to be grinding until we actually reached max level. (I don't necessarily agree, but eh.)

He liked that the combat was more than just 1 2 3 1 1 2 3 2 or whatever.

He thought the community was nice.
    The problem is that the other action-RPG titles also contain huge grinds. Try Neverwinter: pro--> lots of fresh player-made content, con-->the combat is a whole lot less like TERA than you'd expect from the trailers, it's closer in line with Wildstar than anything else.

Aldo on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Anyone here going to try Firefall?

F87 wrote: »
    Yes, probably. When is the release planned? I know theres a thread buried somewhere on the forums with a bunch of other folks who wanted to play.

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    Yes, probably. When is the release planned? I know theres a thread buried somewhere on the forums with a bunch of other folks who wanted to play.

It just went into open beta today, I tried it for a bit but the server issues were preventing me from doing things like opening my inventory and vendors. I couldnt tell if this was related to server issues or not but it just seems to dump you into the world with almost no tutorial or anything.

hLeTR.png
    Wildstar going for a "hybrid" model that will allow players to pick how they want to pay. Sooooo in the jaded world of 400+ competing free MMOs that makes Wildstar a Freemium title.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/10/wildstar-preview-3

We've started Neverwinter, which has been fun for the first hour or two. How does it play out throughout the game? Like, do we get to points of long grinds, does it become very party-oriented or mostly soloable, what's the max level and how does the game differ there? etc

Thanks! :D

Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.