As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Real [E3] Thread (Check OP For Streams)

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Speculatively, where would Microsoft go without a successful 3rd generation console? Windows 8 doesn't seem to be pulling any slack either.

Can MS survive on corporate licenses?

Survive? Yes. Keep their shareholders happy? No.

I know Sony hasn't been doing all that well lately, either, but at least they have their fingers in more than two things.

Two in the pink, one in the stink?

I think they put more fingers in microsoft than that!

EDIT: that's an awkward totp.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    They did completely blow off the Vita for a second year running. Most people didn't notice or care but they basically only announced what, 2 new ports and that the games they announced last summer would come out this year.

That's pretty annoying, but my vita will be used primarily for remote play going forward. That's the best feature of the WiiU, and to have it with PS4 games is going to be incredible.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah it's a dumb gif, whatever, it's that time of year.

http://i.imgur.com/VuufUpU.gif

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I don't think Microsoft is going to have much of a response to this. The heart of the third generation curse is hubris. Microsoft is going to keep living it up; getting high off the smell of their own shit; completely oblivious to the fact Sony is sitting right there, suspiciously not drinking anything, while wearing full chainmail.

By the time they see the knife. It'll be too late.

Also, Destiny looked fucking incredible. I'm not a huge FPS fan, nor am I that into online gaming, but my god that looked fantastic. A type of game I've never seen before. It was beautiful and unique. I still haven't bought PS+ but that might be the game that gets me on board. I've bought Xbox Live in the past.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    TSR, you might want to look into Borderlands. It's not the same thing but it's somewhat similar.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited June 2013
    Also, even if Microsoft did change it's tune it doesn't matter to me at all.

You can tell from how Sony presented the no DRM thing they saw how people were reacting to MS. Sure Sony considered it, but they saw the reaction and said "nope".

MS stayed the course, and much like the titanic, steering away at the last possible second doesn't do fuck all for me. You made your bed MS. Wallow in it.

Brutal J on
    Brutal J wrote: »
    I don't think Microsoft is going to have much of a response to this. The heart of the third generation curse is hubris. Microsoft is going to keep living it up; getting high off the smell of their own shit; completely oblivious to the fact Sony is sitting right there, suspiciously not drinking anything, while wearing full chainmail.

By the time they see the knife. It'll be too late.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18qg904f949x0gif/ku-medium.gif

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    See, all this Vita unlove, but holy crap I already have enough games I've not finished. Also I'm getting Ys, and that dragon crown game, and holy shit Atelier Meruru+. Like, literally, it is a machine sculpted for my geeky tendencies.

steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    The good news keeps pouring in:

OzaukrO.jpg

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

OzaukrO.jpg

wow!

TSR, you might want to look into Borderlands. It's not the same thing but it's somewhat similar.

Oh I played Boarderlands, I'm talking about the way the game flowed from one game type to another. It was brilliant. A single campaign made up of multiple multiplayer segments. It was a great evolution of everything Bungie has done for years with multiplayer. It didn't look like any other FPS.

It was super refreshing.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

Destiny gave off a real strong "HaloLands Online" vibe.

Which is something I can get behind.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire

OzaukrO.jpg

FUCK YES! I've gotten plenty of use out of the PS3's no region lock via PSN.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    No region locking is huge.

I would've jumped at backwards compatibility, but this works just as well for me.

Was it just me or did it look like guns in Destiny could level up? It looked like that guy checked out the stats on his new gun and it had skills attached to it and stuff.

Or was that just his player skills?

I did notice it was moddable. Would be cool if guns leveled with use along with the player.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Dude, basically PS4 has legit won the international market at this point. Who is legitimately considering the xbone internationally at this point?

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Nobody, that's who.

• Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Was it just me or did it look like guns in Destiny could level up? It looked like that guy checked out the stats on his new gun and it had skills attached to it and stuff.

Or was that just his player skills?

I did notice it was moddable. Would be cool if guns leveled with use along with the player.

The interface certainly made it look like the guns level up.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    didn't see this one posted yet (warning: big ol' gif): https://i.minus.com/iEnUwopH4meEu.gif

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

OzaukrO.jpg

FUCK YES! I've gotten plenty of use out of the PS3's no region lock via PSN.

Yeah, I think it deserves most of the credit for Demon's Souls getting as popular as it did. Without it, I doubt we'd have Dark Souls.

Not to mention it's awesome to get around all the stupid PAL localisation delays.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Okay so here's one thing I'm curious about, why do they make them the same price in dollars and euros. Aren't euros worth more than American dollars? So, having them both be 500 or 400 dollars and 500 or 400 euros, make them more expensive in Europe for no apparent reason other than having the same number?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah I dunno why they do that. Tax for not being American? joking...

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Okay so here's one thing I'm curious about, why do they make them the same price in dollars and euros. Aren't euros worth more than American dollars? So, having them both be 500 or 400 dollars and 500 or 400 euros, make them more expensive in Europe for no apparent reason other than having the same number?

Because fuck Europe.

Also fuck Australia.

• StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of irrational hatred for Microsoft on this forum?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Strika wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of irrational hatred for Microsoft on this forum?

well, currently there is a lot of rational hatred for microsoft on this forum.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    You'd have to a sycophant for MS to see this forum as hating MS.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    There's definitely some glee that Sony came out swinging at MS on things that bothered a lot of folk here. It's nice to see that get shut down, and a little (slightly malicious) carnival seems to be in order.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

Most of it is far from irrational, given the clusterfuck that the One is turning out to be.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW

I feel compelled to point out I never bought a PS2 or PS3, but have a 360 right next to me (only have a PS1 because I bought it off a friend for cheap).

Microsoft generated a ton of ill-will with this DRM shenanigans, and only have themselves to blame for it.

Also, I'm happy as fuck Sony didn't follow MS and make this DRM thing the normal. Now there is a clear choice, and all these Pre-orders (assuming it's not just this forum, and a I bet it isn't) is going to send a clear message of what the people want.

E3 couldn't have gone better, and Nintendo hasn't even said a word yet.

I don't hate Microsoft, I just cant help but laugh at the curbstomping they just got from Sony.

I mean, come on! That shit that Sony pulled was fucking epic, no matter what console you're planning on buying or not buying.

It's not hate, it's just good old fashioned harmless schadenfreude :lol:

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I don't take any glee from watching my favourite console manufacturer completely crash and burn with the typical third console curse.

But I am really god damn happy Sony showed some serious sanity in providing a better option for me to choose.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    E3 showed that Microsoft is making a console for publishers, and Sony is making a console for consumers.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Doesn't the Eurozone use a Value Added Tax that is factored into the price of goods?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Traditionally this forum has always leaned towards the 360 over PS3. At least that's how it seems going from how popular PS3 exclusive threads are versus 360, also given how on multiplat games there are usually more 360 gamers. The amount of "LOL Sony"'ing that has gone on is incredible, so I would certainly say it's not traditionally anti-microsoft.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yep, I don't have a ps3, I owned both editions of zune, I want a windows phone and have been more than a little anti Sony in the past for exactly the same sort of arrogance that Microsoft seems to be exuding here. Its their assumption that because they did so well last time, they can shovel us something and we will just take that pile none the wiser. It made me dislike Sony at the 600 price point and its making me dislike Microsoft here with all their shenanigans.

I don't think its anti MS so much as anti all of the shit they are doing.

Wassermelone on
    Suriko wrote: »
    E3 showed that Microsoft is making a console for publishers, and Sony is making a console for consumers.

Well, now, lets not kid ourselves.

Both companies are doing it for the $$$, they just took different 'sides' in the gamble on where they'll get the most money. And from our perspective, Sony chose wisely.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, and hopefully this might even make Microsoft back off on some of the bullshit they've been pulling. I for one want to play Halo 5, Ryse, and other cool games I saw as being XBone exclusives, I just don't want to deal with all of their DRM bullshit, and I'm definitely not spending 500$ on it.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

It's A LOT worse elsewhere on the net.

It's actually a refreshing change of pace to come here and see people having an actual discussion on the two consoles rather than just hargle bargle blasting MS with asinine comments. On other gaming blogs I visit, any stories to do with MS lately just get buried in hate. Clicking on the comment section is a speaker box of me too's trying to one up each other with witty bullshit.

Personally, I was still in the MS camp until the 24 hour check in news dropped. A part of me still hopes MS can somehow salvage the next gen by backing out on their draconian usage restrictions.

I really don't want to spend another generation with the Dual Shock, but MS has forced me into that position.

steam_sig.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Doesn't the Eurozone use a Value Added Tax that is factored into the price of goods?

No idea. Might explain it if true though.

This discussion has been closed.