As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - Repetition

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited June 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Repetition

Repetition
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/repetition

What? You wanted to get paid??

Anonymous

Years ago my buddy came across a posting on a bulletin board (an actual physical one) at BYU looking for game testers over the summer.

Since this is the dream of many a foolish college student we called the number and basically had a phone interview. We were told it was for a new startup company that had a contract with the big boy game companies to develop some titles. Since both of has less than zero experience testing games, this sounded perfectly reasonable so we readily accepted.

The work was in Salt Lake City so we made the drive up from Provo (about 45 minutes). When we arrived we SHOULD have had warning bells go off because the job site was in a warehouse with no signs of a real business anywhere in sight. There were about a dozen computers off to the side with a large wooden desk nearby where our boss sat.

We had none of the amenities that I’ve since heard other testers talk about: bottomless refrigerators, fun, a paycheck.

You see they told us that we started in the middle of the pay cycle so we wouldn’t get paid right away and it would be about 3 weeks before we got paid. Sucks but hey we were going to be playing video games all day right!? And play we did. We worked on 3 or 4 different titles, none ever seemed quite ready. Some of the stupidest, boring, mind numbingly inane games ever designed. And buggy. But we were in a “crunch” they said, so we worked 80+ hour weeks. Yay! Video games AND overtime!

And then came the day, about three weeks after we started, that we showed up and the doors were locked. When we went around to the side and peeked in the window the warehouse was completely empty. No desks, no crappy computers, no note, and certainly no money.

Geth on

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shockingly Marley did not deserve his 22nd chance

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Shockingly Marley did not deserve his 22nd chance

Wouldn't that make him Varley?

It's clever how much mileage you can get out of "OH SHIIIII" twice in a row.

The story is depressingly standard for Trenches.

• Options
    insidiousinsidious Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    How exactly does someone work 3 80+ hour weeks for someone for no pay and *not* sue them into oblivion? Screw the cost of a lawyer, most lawyers would take that case pro bono.

I kind of wonder if some of these stories are just that, stories.

insidious on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This "OH SHIIIIIIIII" has more pizzazz to it!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    insidious wrote: »
    How exactly does someone work 3 80+ hour weeks for someone for no pay and *not* sue them into oblivion? Screw the cost of a lawyer, most lawyers would take that case pro bono.

I kind of wonder if some of these stories are just that, stories.

Did they have a contract? The story is quiet about that.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They wanted to be game testers, so we can assume their business acumen was non-existent.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Spartacus626Spartacus626 Registered User new member
    So, I'm a little confused. In the last strip Marley is with Isaac (presumably on the way back to the office or already there) and he clearly has his phone in his hand......

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    So, I'm a little confused. In the last strip Marley is with Isaac (presumably on the way back to the office or already there) and he clearly has his phone in his hand......

You've got a point.

i-hTPdHHL.jpg

Unless this is Isaac and Arley meeting up somewhere while they were still out testing at various locations, then they split again and Arley went to another one of his places (but not one downtown!) and left his phone there? I dunno.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    well they are still outside in that strip so you never know

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    when i got my new phone, i briefly lost it in my apartment somewhere

i was like, okay no problem, i'll call it from my home phone. shit, what's my new number?

no problem, i'll just check my pho-

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Re: the post

It was all in their head.

Oh shiiiii