As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Cthulhu - IC] Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    "This is all over me head, but it seems like we should investigate this Gammell character if we don't have any other leads to Morgan. Matthew, didn't you find his last known address?"

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Finally deciding to join the rest of world, Javier sits up in bed and rubs his eyes "Do I even want to know what you're talking about, Kris?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    With his chart revised, Matthew stumbles over to the nearest vacated bed, and falls almost instantly into a deep snoring sleep.
    The rest of you leave the loner to his drunken rest and inevitable hangover. Throwing on clothes that are struggling to keep a crease in the sweaty heat,and clutching huge cups of coffee plundered from the motel's office, the rest of the EON team climbs into Agent Ford's truck. After a quick study of the map, Widow's Run Road is identified well North of the city, situated between a park, a country club, and the Rio Grande.

The neighborhood you pull into is clearly monied, but not in the shiny and fresh style of the newly wealthy that you saw in abundance near Dr. Appleton's home. This neighborhood looks to be old money, with homes built in defiance of the regional style and weather. Heavily manicured hedges and gardens are apparent around some of the Victorian homes, while other driveways vanish into actual thickly wooden copses that must require heavy use of the city's water supply. Many of the homes seem to be showing their age though, and you pass a few derelict or poorly maintained buildings as you guide your way around.

Even with the map you manage to miss Widow's Run Road three times before you finally notice it. A narrow, gravel road branches off behind one of the larger homes, and winds for a good half mile, coating Ford's truck in a thick layer of grey and brown dust. Finally, behind a small hillock you come up to 14319 Widow's Run Road, a building that looks completely out of place, even among the more worn down homes of the neighborhood. The unpainted sun-bleached wood walls are sagging in places, and the roof is pocked with a number of holes. Half of the windows are boarded up, and the door sits askew, with one of the hinges broken free of the frame. To one side of the home is a generously sized shed with a fresh padlock on it, to the other is an outhouse and dilapidated well.
    ETmxrW4.jpg

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Looking somewhat rested, Guy stepped out of the car and said: "Perhaps a couple of us wish to go to ze door and see if anyone is home? We wouldn't want to scare whoever might come to ze door, and I myself would like to take a look around- seems like zere is plenty of cover, so I shouldn't be seen snooping."

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "I doubt anyone is at home, but it's worth a try. Who would like to accompany me to the door?"

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    "I'm right behind you, Doctor."

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    "Three is a crowd. I'll just uh...hang back a bit. You know, watch the car, watch Guy's back."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Captain Marcus and Cayrus]
    As you approach the front porch, you notice a number of fresh boards, clearly newer than the rest of the house, studded at the corners with partially bent shiny silver nails. Taped to the door, hanging open and partially ripped from the frame, is a recent notice from the Board of Health and Human Services condemning the dwelling. It would seem that someone had visited the house after it was condemned, and ripped the boards off to gain entry.
    [El Skid]
    The windowless shed seems to be nearly the size of the house itself. As you approach, you again note that the padlock shows no signs of wear or age. The building seems to be missing much of its roof, and a dense, sickening odor of musty rot seems to ooze off of the wood of the structure.
    [Peff]
    Watching your compatriots wander towards the foreboding shack, it strikes you: this is just like watching a movie! Only much sweatier, and a fair bit smellier.

• Options
    Nathan checks to make sure his gun is loaded and easily accessible. "Well Doctor, shall we knock?"

• Options
    Quietly walking up to the side of the shed, Guy looks for a crack in the wall he can peek through.
    Guy will take a look inside if he can do so discretely, and/or take a listen through the wall to see if he can hear anything. Let me know which of stealth/Listen/Spot Hidden I might need to roll :)

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Todt holds up a hand.
    "This house is condemned, but it looks like someone broke in. Gemmell's dead, and whoever is in this house shouldn't be there. I'm just a doctor, but you're the muscle- should we announce our presence, sneak in, or go in with our guns out? We're a good half mile in forest, so the neighbors shouldn't be able to hear our gunshots."

• Options
    "It looks as if someone was here recently, so they may still be in the house. However, they probably have heard the jeep or us talking by now, so I think he should probably head in."

Nathan pulls out his pistol, walks up to the door and examines the best way to enter.

• Options
    "If you say so."
    Todt looks around nervously.

"You go first. The door's open."

• Options
    "I can see that, thank you Doctor."

Nathan pushes to door fully open, walks to the threshold and peers inside.

• Options
    [El Skid]
    Peeking through a knot hole in the wall, you are briefly overwhelmed with the smell of mildew. Gaining a better handle on your senses, you see that much of the interior is covered with pieces of rafters and shingle that have fallen in. Tall grass and weeds peek in among the boxes and tarps. While most of the interior is old and clearly the worse for wear, a fresh and clean tarp covers something huge in the center of the structure. Whatever it is, its nearly as tall as the shed itself, but not particularly broad.
    [Cayrus and Captain Marcus]
    The front room is nearly bare. The floor has a thin coating of dirt and mud, and a thick musk hangs in the air. A filthy, torn up lounge chair sits in the center of the room with a small table beside it, both facing the window looking at the shed, where you see Guy leaning his face to the wall. A crude table made from a splintered door and cinder blocks sits in one corner with a cheap rusting folding chair beside it. A pad of paper and some newspaper clippings lay scattered on the table.

Through two doors you can see a bedroom and kitchen.

• Options
    In a hushed tone, Nathan whispers to Todt, "See if there's anything interesting in those clippings. I'm going to scout ahead."

Holding his gun ahead of him, Nathan moves into the kitchen.

• Options
    Todt cautiously walks over and investigates the clippings.

• Options
    His curiosity piqued, Guy slowly went right around the shed looking for a means of entry, careful to glance around once in a while to see if anyone was watching him.
    Looking for stuff like windows, rotten spots/large holes in the wall, whether the wood that the lock is bolted onto is sound, checking any hinges for the same. Not that Guy has ever broken into anywhere before...

• Options
    His curiosity piqued, Guy slowly went right around the shed looking for a means of entry, careful to glance around once in a while to see if anyone was watching him.
    Looking for stuff like windows, rotten spots/large holes in the wall, whether the wood that the lock is bolted onto is sound, checking any hinges for the same. Not that Guy has ever broken into anywhere before...

• Options
    edited June 2013
    [El Skid]
    You notice a tree stump and stack of logs around the back corner of the house. A rusting double bladed axe is embedded into the stump. Beyond the brute force approach, the padlock would probably not be too daunting a challenge for someone skilled in picking locks.
    [Cayrus]
    A small filthy room that stinks of garbage, rotting meat, and sour milk. The room lacks practically all of the modern appliances of a normal kitchen. An old iron stove lays toppled in one corner, covered in dust. A small wooden icebox sits against the wall with its cover open, and a thick cloud of black flies hovers over it. A large bucket beside it would seem to be what passed for a sink. On the table in the middle of the room is a pile of half eaten meals, disintegrating fast food bags, sodden paper plates, and empty beer and soda cans. The whole table seems to pulse with maggots.
    [Captain Marcus]
    The clippings all seem to be fairly recent, and several mention the abduction of Louisa Hernandez. Amongst the pile, you also find a copy of Gammell's obituary, as well as a clipping dated two weeks ago from the Florida Times-Union: "2 Escaped Convicts found Dead, 3rd Still at Large"
    Pensacola, FL - Two men, recently escaped from the Florida State Penitentiary in Jacksonville, were discovered dead in a stolen Pensacola Sheriff's vehicle this morning, near the Alabama border. The two men, Allister Castle, 32, and Christopher Caine, 23, along with their fellow escapee, Michael Worth, 36, shot and killed Deputy Jonathan Koons when he attempted to apprehend them outside of a pawn shop, as the fugitives attempted to rob the store. A car, stolen from the neighborhood near the Penitentiary, was found near crime scene with an empty gas tank and shattered windshield.

The men, who escaped from the prison last Tuesday, were wanted for multiple counts of murder, robbery, and assault, and all had been convicted of violent felonies prior to their incarceration. Authorities suspect some sort of disagreement led Mr. Worth to turn on his compatriots and seek some other means of transport. Both victims were found with their throats slit, and their skin was mutilated with unidentified signs. Mr. Worth is to be considered armed and dangerous, and anyone who encounters him is encouraged to notify the police immediately.
    GaZjuhX.jpg

The pad, lifted from some motel in the north valley, is blank. You do note that the top of the pad has the jagged edges of a few pages ripped off the pad, but you see no evidence of them.
    [Peff]
    Guy continues to prod and peek around the shack, and the other two have disappeared into the dark doorway of that creepy old house. You do what you can to avoid the steady stream of sweat caused by the sweltering hot box of a car, and hum "Electric Avenue" to yourself while drumming on the steering wheel.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    Todt reads the article, mouthing the words to himself.

He draws his gun halfway through.

"Nathan? There's an escaped convict in the house. His picture's in this article- receding hair and a mustache."

• Options
    Nathan gags and steps back out of the kitchen.

"It looks like he's been here awhile. The kitchen is full of filth. I'm going to check out the rest of the house."

He moves to bedroom and peers inside, gun still drawn.

• Options
    "...Annnnnd, and I can't blame all on the sun! Oh noo, we gonna rock down to Electric Avenue"

Javier keeps drumming on the steering wheel, oblivious to the new dangers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Guy slowly returns to the car, getting in the passenger side and turning the radio way down, to Javier's obvious chagrin.

"Zere is something in ze shed, quite tall and hidden under a tarp. I did not wish to simply bust my way in at zis time, but it ees good to know..."

• Options
    [Cayrus]
    This room, about the same size as the kitchen, is primarily notable for the ripped, stained mattress laying bare on the floor. A moderately sized painting with a filthy frame hangs on the wall. The glass of the frame makes it too difficult to discern the picture.

• Options
    "Heeyyy!" Javier reacts to the music being turned down "...wait, what? What did it look like?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nathan returns to the entrance and glances at the clippings. "Someone has been living here, but it doesn't look like they're here at the moment."

He pauses and chuckles, "Unless there's some secret passage or something."

• Options
    "You know what Guy, I've had enough of this B horror movie shit." Javier gets out of the Jeep, and opens the tailgate. Pulling his rifle out of its case, he straps it to his back and motions toward the building. "Not to sound super cliche here but saddle up, amigo."

Without waiting for a real response, Javier starts walking toward the shed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Todt gasps as an idea strikes him.
    "What if there is a secret passage?"

• Options
    Swearing, Guy gets out of the car and races after his well-armed teammate.

He does a really good job concealing the grin on his face, almost as though he expected this to happen.

• Options
    [Captain Marcus]
    You're struck suddenly, with the memory of watching North by Northwest as a younger man. Particularly, of watching Cary Grant take a blank pad of paper and sketching it lightly with a pencil to read the imprint of the most recently used page. Also, that Indiana Jones flick had some pretty great secret passage sections!
    [Cayrus]
    A cursory glance around the room doesn't show you anything new, but as you focus you hear...nothing. Besides the creak of wood under your feet, there's no noise. No chirping birds or humming insects. The only other sound is of your compatriots outside.
    [El Skid]
    As you follow your increasingly erratic partner out of the car, you note that it is unusually quiet out. There's no breeze moving through the leaves, and no ambient wildlife noise. It's still enough that you can hear your partners inside the house quite clearly.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Todt smiles to himself, remembering the adventures of one Professor Jones, then frowns, takes out a pencil, and rubs it lightly on the blank sketchpad.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Guy cocks his ear and listens for a moment.

"It's quiet...too quiet." he said with a perfectly straight face.

After a moment of self-congratulation at finally getting to say that line in context, it was back to business. He scanned the surroundings alertly as he quietly made his way along, making his way to the axe.

• Options
    "There might be secret passages, but I'm pretty sure if someone were in the house, we would have heard them by now. It's as quiet as a tomb in here."

Nathan turns back to the bedroom. "If you find something, let me know."

He walks back and enters the bedroom, intent on examining the painting, on the off-chance there was an actual secret passage.

• Options
    [Captain Marcus]
    Peter, P.K.? Here, three of foure be found here one from the east and three here shall form the magic surround, bye which I shall live eternal. A house of convalescence next nearest to the one before. Kinsey? NO!
    Peter has an artist's eye, a poet's heart, and a god's kidneys. Kersey, yes! Kersey!
    in the second hall of healing rests the painter, the third, as the fourth comes from the East two days hence. Louisa and Jeremiah...Michael the dark one comes from the rising sun.
    Peter sleeps in the once removed infirmary.

• Options
    "Hey Nathan, there's this weird note on the notepad."

Todt walks over and shows the note to Nathan. (click on the spoiler)

• Options
    [Cayrus]
    You lift the picture off the wall to wipe away the smudging. The image itself is a disconcerting painting of a swamp. At the center of the image, a woman hangs upside-down from a tree branch, blood is flowing down her body from wounds in her legs. Through a gap in the trees, a black lighthouse is visible. Behind the photo, you find a small notched area, just large enough to fit the small, leather-bound journal that sits in the space.
    [Peff and El Skid]
    It seems almost futile to put the new lock on the door of the shed. You're certain that a few good whacks with the axe would take the door down without much exertion. Hell, even a few strong kicks would probably cave in the dry rotting wood.

• Options
    Guy grabbed the huge axe and went around to the back of the shed, which looked like the weakest point. Hefting the axe, he paused a moment, shrugged, and gave the wall a solid kick.
    Geth roll 1d100 for kicking a hole in the shed

kicking a hole in the shed:
    1d100 8 [1d100=8]

• Options
    [El Skid and Peff]
    As a giddy Javier watches, Guy puts his formidable leg straight through the back of the shed. The whole back end of the structure collapses down in a rain of splinters and planks, and a fresh wave of rotting smell assaults you. The shed creaks and groans, swaying crazily for a moment before slumping against a nearby tree at a drunken angle.

Kicking away the detritus and timber (so much for this pair of slacks) you finally get a good look at the shed. A number of cardboard boxes sitting among the weeds and creeping vines seem to have succumbed completely to the effects of rain and rot. They sit in blackened congealed lumps, and whatever they used to hold is likely in a sorry state.

At the center of the room, you get a better look at the object under the tarp. A concrete foundation has been poured below it, and the object is bolted into the concrete through two ornate clawed bronze feet. It's about three feet across and ten feet tall, and the ground around it has been cleared of debris. In fact, its the only clean spot in the dingy space.
    [Captain Marcus and Cayrus]
    You hear the terrific crash of the shed falling apart. von Todt, looking out the window, sees Guy pulling a splinter of wood from his pants as he steps into the wreckage of the shed.

• Options
    Smirking "We just needed a door down, not a wall, Guy. Heh. I guess let's see what the monster of the day is! Another zombie doctor?" Laughing, Javier tries to peer around his partner.
    Geth roll 1d100 for spot hidden in the shed vs 25

spot hidden in the shed vs 25:
    1d100 57 [1d100=57]

steam_sig.png