As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    This is the G&T chat thread:

1"guys i was five minutes late for work today"
    2"sup dudes what should i have for lunch"
    3"i saw the matrix 3 last night it sucked"
    4" 1, it sucks that you were late, what did your boss say"
    5" my cat just sneezed on my foot"
    6 " 3, didn't it suck so much?"
    7 " uriel you're a faggot"

You can derail a thread in SE. However, it will go on to a new topic that everyone will be talking about. Nobody is just posting whatever just fucking happened because they are devoid of a social life outside of the internet and oh man, why won't anyone comment on their livejournal

Garlic Bread on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?
    If it's a serious thread, what's wrong with D&D?
    I bold faced the last part of that post for you. Hope that makes it a little clearer.
    Not really. I can't conceive of a serious thread that actually doesn't fit any of the other forums. Including G&T.

tynic on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    2ndGreat -- But if you prefer to derail all of them, why have so many different thread that move too slow?
    No, i WANT a timewaster/off topic thread so that the on topic threads you know, stay on topic. That way, if you want to say whatever on your mind without coherency, you put it in a chat thread. The topics with real subjects go into new threads.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sheriff wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?

D&D.

Shit: Beaten by the TheGreat2nd.

D&D is not in the Chat forums though. Where can we have a chat thread that stays semi on topic while allowing for the occasional 2 or 3 page off topicity?

Bamelin on
  • Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yes Keith, people talking about their day is chating. If that bothers you so much, perhaps you should leave that thread to those enjoying it and return to the multitude of aparently meaninglessly subdivided topics you guys enjoy. I have never heard a ligitament arguemnet of how the chat thread bothered anyone before the decision to end it. Someone give me a quote, because the mods treat this as a self evident fact and I've never seen a reason for the GT Chat to be seen this way.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    You can derail a thread in SE.
    Why do you guys insist on derailing threads. What's the point of threads if you derail every one of them? :|

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think a lot of you would fit in better at D&D.

You want on topic discussions about miscellaneous things? Read the synopsis of Debate and Discourse. It seems exactly what some of you are looking for.

Javen on
  • BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:

You can derail a thread in SE. However, it will go on to a new topic that everyone will be talking about. Nobody is just posting whatever just fucking happened because they are devoid of a social life outside of the internet and oh man, why won't anyone comment on their livejournal

Keith, I'm sorry G&T killed your mother and raped your father, but can't we put the past behind us?

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    D&D is not in the Chat forums though. Where can we have a chat thread that stays semi on topic while allowing for the occasional 2 or 3 page off topicity?
    You're missing the point.
    Maveric and I have been saying that there should be a chat thread where people can just say whatever because they feel like it. This shouldn't be put into threads with a real topic because, just like in real life, when somebody is talking about the Giants vs Colts game, you don't go and say, "hey guys, what should I eat for dinner". It doesn't fit.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:

Clique.

The Sphinx on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Why do you guys insist on derailing threads. What's the point of threads if you derail every one of them? :|

Because derailing a thread just changes the topic. It isn't like the chat thread where there are sixteen different topics going on at any given time. Different threads have different topics.

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    Then why do you have topics in the first place? Why can't we have a single thread to talk in? I mean, you guys can do your thing, and we can do our thing. This is basicly what the mods told us to do.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Then why do you have topics in the first place? Why can't we have a single thread to talk in?

Because then there will be sixteen different topics going on at any given time and people coming into the thread will have no idea what's going on and get scared to post.

Garlic Bread on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    I think a lot of you would fit in better at D&D.

You want on topic discussions about miscellaneous things? Read the synopsis of Debate and Discourse. It seems exactly what some of you are looking for.
    I've been saying this a lot.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Because derailing a thread just changes the topic. It isn't like the chat thread where there are sixteen different topics going on at any given time. Different threads have different topics.
    Thread Title says Bears
    I enter thread. People talking about foxes, and meeting up in Canada.
    When I click the thread, I want to talk about bears, because the title says Bears.

The chat thread has sixteen different topics, not at the same time. This is what quotes are for. To have several conversations. You are greatly exaggerating.

If we just derailed every thread, there would be no point in individual threads, which brings to the point
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Then why do you have topics in the first place? Why can't we have a single thread to talk in?

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:

The mods told us to use SE.

xzzy on
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:

Don't give me that shit, the mods didn't TELL you do to anything.

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    How is that different then starting on one topic, then derailing it 2 pages in. This wasn't a problem in the GT chat, we just rolled with it.

Keith, I'm not trying to be confrontational, but these are ligitament question. I'm not so much demanding an answer from you as I am from the mods who (if they are doing their goddamn jobs) should be monitoring this thread.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    2ndGreat -- But if you prefer to derail all of them, why have so many different thread that move too slow?
    No, i WANT a timewaster/off topic thread so that the on topic threads you know, stay on topic. That way, if you want to say whatever on your mind without coherency, you put it in a chat thread. The topics with real subjects go into new threads.

:whistle:

"You don't always get what you want...

You don't always get what you want...

But if you try sometime...

You just might find...

you get what you need!'

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:

D and D is great if you're looking for a heavy conversation with deep meaningful insights. I enjoy D&D myself if I'm looking for deep talk.

G&T chatters just want a forum with light talk where people aren't rude to each other and threads don't get assassinated. Is that too much to ask?

Bamelin on
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    SE++ is about chatting. Any thread can be about anything, but we've had threads that have stayed on topic for 50 pages

it can go either way, I don't understand why people hate it so much

Because I guess a lot of people seem to think it's still 2003 and SE++ is nothing but a bunch of in jokes and flames. God forbid someone just go there and chat in a thread.

Edit:
    Bamelin wrote:
    D and D is great if you're looking for a heavy conversation with deep meaningful insights. I enjoy D&D myself if I'm looking for deep talk.

G&T chatters just want a forum with light talk where people aren't rude to each other and threads don't get assassinated. Is that too much to ask?

No, dude. D&D is a good place to hold discusions on semiserious topics, especially if you want to stay on topic.

Anime Owns on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Actually, Whippy did. Read the announcement in G&T.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    I bold faced the last part of that post for you. Hope that makes it a little clearer.
    Not really. I can't conceive of a serious thread that actually doesn't fit any of the other forums. Including G&T.
    Ok, how about I want to discuss something semi-seriously without having to tread through twelve thousand posts of academic, esoteric, pseudo-scientific/pychological/philosophcal drivel every time I want to reply only to have some egotistical mod drunk on their own power resort to ad hominem personal attacks because I confused a quote by Sun Tzu for Niccolò Machiavelli?

Sliver on
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Thread Title says Bears
    I enter thread. People talking about foxes, and meeting up in Canada.
    When I click the thread, I want to talk about bears, because the title says Bears.

So talk about bears

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    No, Bam, it's not to much to ask.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:

Yes they did. They specifically said go to SE++. "Chatting is what SE is for"

Bamelin on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    What was so bad about it is what I don't understand. I very rarely posted there or anywhere to be honest even if I have had an account since forever. The rare times I would pop my head in to put my two cents in the response was never " hey a new guy... let's git him goys. Get out the tar and feathers." it was always a friendly/sarcastic response. What I really want to say is, even for someone who never posts, what was the big problem?? Where the fondations of the forums being shook by this one thread in one subforum that obeyed all the rules and also had mod's posting in them all the time and that halped make the G&T forum the fun place that it is.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    Ok, how about I want to discuss something semi-seriously without having to tread through twelve thousand posts of academic, esoteric, pseudo-scientific/pychological/philosophcal drivel every time I want to reply only to have some egotistical mod drunk on their own power resort to ad hominem personal attacks because I confused a quote by Sun Tzu for Niccolò Machiavelli?
    I'm getting the feeling that you're not really interested in being constructive. Bashing D&D won't solve your problems.

tynic on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    SE++ is about chatting. Any thread can be about anything, but we've had threads that have stayed on topic for 50 pages

A higher percentage of SE++ regulars lack civility than the regulars in G&T, and it is difficult to move from an enviornment where most people are nice to one where rudeness and insults are socially acceptable and even encouraged.

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2006
    Point: Having many threads with no topic is, well, retarded. There is no coherent base between the thread title and the posts within. Having a chat thread will fix this, therefore creating threads with posts that match their titles.

Last few posts by me: trying to prove point.

And t Just_Bri_Thanks: Go read some of the past few pages to understand what I am saying, and not just responding with some song quotes.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Then why do you have topics in the first place? Why can't we have a single thread to talk in? I mean, you guys can do your thing, and we can do our thing. This is basicly what the mods told us to do.

Because not every thread has the same beginning, middle and end. Threads are interesting in SE because of their mutability. Sometimes they don't go off topic at all, sometimes they get out of the constraints of the OP and become something better than the OP could have hoped for, and sometimes they sink like a rock. That's what makes it interesting.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:

Have you even looked at the D&D forum?

A quick glance reveals a football thread, a thread about arrested development, an anime thread, several music threads, a guns thread and a 'creepiest thing you've ever seen' thread.

Oh yeah, those are some insightful topics alright.

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:

Liming because this really, is the heart of the matter.

Bamelin on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006

A higher percentage of SE++ regulars lack civility than the regulars in G&T, and it is difficult to move from an enviornment where most people are nice to one where insults are socially acceptable and even encouraged.

Have you never been with some buddies, just busting on each other? I can't image you haven't.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:

Yes they did. They specifically said go to SE++. "Chatting is what SE is for"

No, Whippy suggested SE++, because he has been a regular there for a very long time and generally enjoys the place very much. He did not 'force' you go take your topics to SE and only SE.

Javen on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:

Have you even looked at the D&D forum?

A quick glance reveals a football thread, a thread about arrested development, an anime thread, several music threads, a guns thread and a 'creepiest thing you've ever seen' thread.

Oh yeah, those are some insightful topics alright.

I post on D&D every so often. It's not a chat forum. Going off topic for a couple pages doesn't fly there. G&T goes off topic just like SE. The difference is we get back on topic.

That and we aren't rude to each other, we don't enjoy talking about "dicks cummin DUDE!".

Bamelin on
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

Go to D&D duder. Seriously, they don't bite, and they won't derail your thread too much. You can start a topic there about a fair amount of things and be pretty successful.

Edit - That is to say, you can talk about a lot in D&D, not just politics and religion.

Anime Owns on
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

Okay, but like it or not, that place isn't SE++.

Like I said, D&D seems a lot more in league in what you're looking for.

Javen on
This discussion has been closed.