As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    That and we aren't rude to each other.

Hah, you have any spare pairs of those rosy-tinted glasses of yours?

A duck! on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    You can derail a thread in SE.
    Why do you guys insist on derailing threads. What's the point of threads if you derail every one of them? :|

Because derailing a thread just changes the topic. It isn't like the chat thread where there are sixteen different topics going on at any given time. Different threads have different topics.
    Thread Title says Bears
    I enter thread. People talking about foxes, and meeting up in Canada.
    When I click the thread, I want to talk about bears, because the title says Bears.

So talk about bears
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833833&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
    So, how bout them raccoons :roll:
    This is why a single chat thread should exist. For dumb and semi serious joke posts like, how bout them raccoons, or look at those bears.

If I can quote an example that does this damn well, it has to be the CAG forums.
    http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    SE++ is about chatting. Any thread can be about anything, but we've had threads that have stayed on topic for 50 pages

it can go either way, I don't understand why people hate it so much
    A higher percentage of SE++ regulars lack civility than the regulars in G&T, and it is difficult to move from an enviornment where most people are nice to one where insults are socially acceptable and even encouraged.

Have you never been with some buddies, just busting on each other? I can't image you haven't.
    Yeah, I have.

But I usually prefer a civil enviornment.

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    SE++ is about chatting. Any thread can be about anything, but we've had threads that have stayed on topic for 50 pages

A higher percentage of SE++ regulars lack civility than the regulars in G&T, and it is difficult to move from an enviornment where most people are nice to one where insults are socially acceptable and even encouraged.

Have you never been with some buddies, just busting on each other? I can't image you haven't.
    If you're buddies curse you out and insult you, I don't really think they're you're buddies.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

Yeah, I have.

Then post in D&D.

A duck! on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    You want on topic discussions about miscellaneous things? Read the synopsis of Debate and Discourse. It seems exactly what some of you are looking for.

The mods told us to use SE.

D and D is great if you're looking for a heavy conversation with deep meaningful insights. I enjoy D&D myself if I'm looking for deep talk.

G&T chatters just want a forum with light talk where people aren't rude to each other and threads don't get assassinated. Is that too much to ask?

Have you even looked at the D&D forum?

A quick glance reveals a football thread, a thread about arrested development, an anime thread, several music threads, a guns thread and a 'creepiest thing you've ever seen' thread.

Oh yeah, those are some insightful topics alright.

I post on D&D every so often. It's not a chat forum. Going off topic for a couple pages doesn't fly there. G&T goes off topic just like SE. The difference is we get back on topic.

That and we aren't rude to each other, we don't enjoy talking about "dicks cummin DUDE!".

A) D&D has it's own chat thread.
    B) D&D has miscellaneous topics for regulated, on topic discussion.

You seem to favor order more than chaos. That's why I'm suggesting D&D to you, because that is the only difference between the two.

Javen on
  • The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You know what I want? I want a chat thread like every other forum has. For some reason the two forums I'm being pointed toward don't have that.

The Sphinx on
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

Yeah, I have.

Then post in D&D.
    D&D : Smart people
    SE++ : off topic people
    Looking for : Somewhere in between

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    You can derail a thread in SE.
    Why do you guys insist on derailing threads. What's the point of threads if you derail every one of them? :|

Because derailing a thread just changes the topic. It isn't like the chat thread where there are sixteen different topics going on at any given time. Different threads have different topics.
    Thread Title says Bears
    I enter thread. People talking about foxes, and meeting up in Canada.
    When I click the thread, I want to talk about bears, because the title says Bears.

So talk about bears
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833833&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
    So, how bout them raccoons :roll:
    This is why a single chat thread should exist. For dumb and semi serious joke posts like, how bout them raccoons, or look at those bears.

Most posts on that page are about bears, what are you talking about

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    Christ, if I post that bear again will you all shut up?

Javen on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Look the main difference between SE and G&T chatters is

1. civility and use of vulgar language
    2. G&T chatters usually stay fairly on topic but allow for couple page off topicity chatting throughout our megathreads

D&D really doesn't fit what G&T Chatters are looking for.

Bamelin on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

It's a fucking internet forum for God's sake. You don't like the way it's run, find another or make your own.

This vocal minority is just bitching.

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

If you're buddies curse you out and insult you, I don't really think they're you're buddies.
    Do you just go with 're all the time and just hope you get it right more often than not? I don't think you quite have the tone or tenor of SE down just yet, although you'll probably say "I read a few threads, I know how people post!" or "I shouldn't have to, despite G+T having a lot of unwritten rules that I confined myself to I will expect SE to have none of that!"

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    it doesn't matter, it's just a thread
    http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    Just check those forums for a bit.
    http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107933&page=23
    Example of OffTopicThread.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Point: Having many threads with no topic is, well, retarded. There is no coherent base between the thread title and the posts within. Having a chat thread will fix this, therefore creating threads with posts that match their titles.

Last few posts by me: trying to prove point.

And t Just_Bri_Thanks: Go read some of the past few pages to understand what I am saying, and not just responding with some song quotes.

I did read them. That doesn't mean I agree with some of the people who posted in them, which may or may not include things posted by you.

And the song lyrics seemed apropreate.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

Yeah, I have.

Then post in D&D.

Guy, if you have half a brain, then you can post in D&D. Just because a lot of them are very intelligent, doesn't mean you need to be all the time. All they ask is that you don't act like an idiot.

Anime Owns on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

Yeah, I have.

Then post in D&D.

Try the D&D chat thread.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

It's a fucking internet forum for God's sake. You don't like the way it's run, find another or make your own.

Games and Technology is three and a half times the size of SE++, four times the size of D&D, and larger than all the other forums put together. We are NOT the minority.

The Sphinx on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    This can work if you let it work. Stop acting like you're the victims of some crime.

Go in and go with the flow of SE. Once everyone's all settled down, things will start changing. Threads will get more on topic if you try

What you're doing is saying "CHANGE TO US" and SE is saying "NO YOU CHANGE YOU FUCKTARDS" (swearing because we're uncivilized, of course) and then people don't realize it's a fucking internet forum and you need to really take a chill pill

Garlic Bread on
  • Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thats completely cool Duck. What I'm asking is can we do what we were doing in GT in SE, and if we can't, why not. Again, I'm putting this question to the mods. I don't mean to put you on the spot, duck. We simply need to know why it is that we lost our thread because we had our own system, were then told to go to SE, and are then required to follow all your unwritten rules. It's not that you can't have you rules that way, it's that we should not have been force in to them in the first place.

I again ask for a mod behind this decision for a set of quotes to prove what a hateful cesspool GT Chat was that it need to be terminated. As I said, despite what the mod tell you, this is not a self-evident. If the mods are going to maintain that insular community conduct was the reason, they should fucking well be able to prove it. They haven't, and moreover, they have never attempted to. They have the power to summarily end the GT chat, but they can't act there was a good reason for it what they have failed to ever produce one.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    Eh, screw it.
    This thread is like two walls arguing with each other.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

Games and Technology is three and a half times the size of SE++, four times the size of D&D, and larger than all the other forums put together. We are NOT the minority.

If you're going by amount of posts, our prune limit is a hell of a lot less than yours.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

Clearly, the 5 "G&Ters" arguing here are three and half times the size of SE++.

Anime Owns on
    edited September 2006
    I'm not trying to shoo anyone away from SE++, here. I'm just saying that not everyone is going to enjoy the way we do things and just because whippy linked SE++ in his announcement does not mean that the other nine forums are off limits for chatting or talking about things you would like to talk about.

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

No, I'm referring to the five or six whiny G&Ters (such as yourself.)

Several "new" people have shown up in SE I've never seen before, and they haven't had any visible trouble.

If you don't like it, go make your own forum.

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

If you're going by amount of posts, our prune limit is a hell of a lot less than yours.
    G&T Chat thread by itself had more posts yesterday than all of SE++. About twice as many.

The Sphinx on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

G&T Chat thread by itself had more posts yesterday than all of SE++. About twice as many.

Quit being a stupid dick. What the hell is wrong with you?
    Ughhh.

Anime Owns on
    edited September 2006
    So Keith, that means its cool for us to make a chat thread chat thread, and no one will bother us in SE? This is the question we need, and deserve, an answer too.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

So what's your point? That you're not the minority? Okay, so what? You're still the ones coming into SE and telling us that what we're doing it stupid and wrong.

Javen on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    If you want your thread in SE++ to stay on topic, it's going to have to have some kind of content.

Making a thread where the title is longer than the first post is a mistake. There has to be some kind of user participation to make any kind of discussion worthwhile - if you're just asking a yes or no question, you're going to see your thread either get ignored or changed to something else.

Half the threads on SE++ right now are terrible - there's not much to say since the topics are vague, and they get pushed off the page by new threads every few minutes. So nothing's going anywhere, no one can keep up, and we're all in a really bad mood.

Brolo on
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Thats completely cool Duck. What I'm asking is can we do what we were doing in GT in SE, and if we can't, why not. Again, I'm putting this question to the mods. I don't mean to put you on the spot, duck. We simply need to know why it is that we lost our thread because we had our own system, were then told to go to SE, and are then required to follow all your unwritten rules. It's not that you can't have you rules that way, it's that we should not have been force in to them in the first place.

I again ask for a mod behind this decision for a set of quotes to prove what a hateful cesspool GT Chat was that it need to be terminated. As I said, despite what the mod tell you, this is not a self-evident. If the mods are going to maintain that insular community conduct was the reason, they should fucking well be able to prove it. They haven't, and moreover, they have never attempted to. They have the power to summarily end the GT chat, but they can't act there was a good reason for it what they have failed to ever produce one.

Well, only two things:

I don't know exactly what Whippy's wording was, but I don't think he banished you to SE, just suggested it. And secondly, if you want proof, then I completely agree that the mods should provide it, but a lot of stuff I'm seeing the TMD is pretty close to calling them out. In truth, I think questions in this regard are probably best directed at G+T staff instead of someone like Whippy. You might want to try catching some via PM or a AIM or whatnot.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

So what's your point? That you're not the minority? Okay, so what? You're still the ones coming into SE and telling us that what we're doing it stupid and wrong.
    My point is SE++ will have to adapt to the huge influx of G&T posters. This inflexible attitude of yours is ridiculous.

The Sphinx on
    edited September 2006
    Ok, the popualtion thing wasn't a good point, but that doesn't make our questions less ligitiment

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    This can work if you let it work. Stop acting like you're the victims of some crime.

Go in and go with the flow of SE. Once everyone's all settled down, things will start changing. Threads will get more on topic if you try

What you're doing is saying "CHANGE TO US" and SE is saying "NO YOU CHANGE YOU FUCKTARDS" (swearing because we're uncivilized, of course) and then people don't realize it's a fucking internet forum and you need to really take a chill pill
    I remember something like this happening on another forum and I felt this quote appled.
    So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense.

Sliver on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

Yeah, I'm sure that wasn't a special case!

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

My point is SE++ will have to adapt to the huge influx of G&T posters. This inflexible attitude of yours is ridiculous.

Dude. Seriously. Most have already been in SE just fine.
    You and a handful of disgruntled G&T refugees are just stirring shit up.

Get over it, or get out.

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I remember something like this happening on another forum and I felt this quote appled.
    So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense.

See, this is more of what I love. "Waging war" and "powerless" and getting over the loss. It's like people should be cutting themselves while listening to some warbling emo tune.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    And if this is just an internet forum, why can't we have our thing in your forum? I would be completely okay with that, but you all are making fairly clear that's not going to happen.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
This discussion has been closed.