As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RamenRider: My Art work place thread-ish

RamenRiderRamenRider Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hello to the artist community.

I am a 2D artist. I have been drawing since grade school but decided to take a more serious approach to my drawings sometime after high school. To be honest, I've always wanted to get fame and fortune through my drawings. I do not think that I am at a position to get fame or fortune with the drawing ability I have now. I do worry about fame and fortune from time to time. Even with anxious thoughts, I know that those thoughts are not to be worried at all at the current time. It can not hurt to dream.

I AM NO MEANS A PROFESSIONAL. One of my goals as an Artist is to heighten my ability in my own Anime Style. From experience, it is easy to make the archetype of drawing to look bad. From an observation, there is no need to make the stereotype look bad enough as it is already. I hope from improvement, I can make an Anime Style that can stand on my take on it. As well as an Anime Style, I plan on improvement on the basics and cartooning. A better understanding of the basics helps in general whether what type of art one does. Also the expressions from real life and cartooning should be complimentary.

PA is not the only place I go for my endeavors. I have established accounts on Newgrounds and a Deviant Art. I’ve also tried using Youtube. I am mostly ashamed of the DA and Youtube. I’ve made several accs on DA. I followed an early Wee-abo phase in middle school with DA. I try to not follow that model with my current DA. As for Youtube, I planed to gain fame and fortune with a vlog type artist thing with a used to be manga/comic but was really a webcomic as it was never intended to be fit in a book binding. Now that Youtube account stands as a personal account.

This comes to my next point that I want to be an active member of the artistic community. I find it that the DA community (that I can remember in the 2006-ish or so) is probably not what it is now. It is hard to make communication there. With NG, I’m trying to involve myself there as well. I tend to lurk A LOT. Most times I can not come up with words to say. I often believe what I may write down may not really contribute the conversation forward or really having no worth entirely. But improvement means being out of ones comfort zone at times.

My current projects now consist of a webcomic that I produce. I really produce it for the fun of it. I can not say it’s great but it is helping me understand how to use panels and digital painting. My other projects in my head remain till I can gain more confidence in myself. I produce my pictures traditionally then scan for digital painting.

My current webcomic project
ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-3.gif

My attempt at cartooning a scene of Gulliver's Travels. (This was uploaded at A REALLY LARGE SIZE)
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/ramenrider/gulliver-s-travels-shipwreck

A preferred example of my Anime Style
http://ziahy0nchume.deviantart.com/art/Sketching-1-346074175

A study on perspective and buildings
http://ziahy0nchume.deviantart.com/art/Landscape-Study-2-345181331

Me having fun with a lightboard because why not
http://ziahy0nchume.deviantart.com/art/CVS-King-Portrait-288596834

RamenRider on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you want to improve and get serious, I recommend the enrichment thread, the tutorials thread, and lurking in the current [Noah's art camp] thread. We have a lot of people here who are hell bent on improvement, aiming at being a professional, or currently are one.

If you want to get the most out of the forums, post regularly, and push your studies. You are talking a lot about fame and anime, and its good to have end goals, but in the end you need to make a realistic track for yourself that will help you improve and expand. If you want to have a manga influence but draw with a unique style, you have alot of work ahead of you, and a lot of includes not drawing anime.

My recommendations: First, Figure out who your influences are. Do you have a few favorite artists? Are you looking at art regularly? Do you have a reference folder? Make sure you aren't drawing from the same type of art for all of your inspiration. Branch out and do some master studies. It you want to include Katsuhiro Otomo and degas, That's fine, just remember that you need to learn from multiple sources if you really want to find your own voice.

After that, draw From life. Still life, figure drawing, self portraits in the mirror, all of that. Try to apply whatever you learn to your comics, rinse and repeat.

We cant really help you with just one comic page, though. So do some studies and post them!

• Tiptup The TurtleTiptup The Turtle Registered User new member
    I enjoy the camera angle on the second panel. It will take a little more work but spice up the last three. They suffer a bit from the " talking-head syndrome." Ill piggy-back off the previous post and say you need to display more pages. Is there more to the story beforehand or after? This doesn't seem to stand alone. What does the character need to be avenged of? What's the significance of "noon"?

With every panel you need to consider every angle and frequently ask yourself questions. Consider, if you can, what the reader may think with every scene and every piece of dialoge. It's not terrible! Show us more and keep experimenting with backgrounds, fascial expressions and more camera angles!

• RamenRiderRamenRider Registered User regular
    I've been working on perspective lately. So far I went through a simple 2 point, 3 point, upwards and downwards. I plan on revisiting it...
    Iruka wrote: »
    If you want to improve and get serious, I recommend the enrichment thread, the tutorials thread, and lurking in the current [Noah's art camp] thread. We have a lot of people here who are hell bent on improvement, aiming at being a professional, or currently are one.

If you want to get the most out of the forums, post regularly, and push your studies. You are talking a lot about fame and anime, and its good to have end goals, but in the end you need to make a realistic track for yourself that will help you improve and expand. If you want to have a manga influence but draw with a unique style, you have alot of work ahead of you, and a lot of includes not drawing anime.

My recommendations: First, Figure out who your influences are. Do you have a few favorite artists? Are you looking at art regularly? Do you have a reference folder? Make sure you aren't drawing from the same type of art for all of your inspiration. Branch out and do some master studies. It you want to include Katsuhiro Otomo and degas, That's fine, just remember that you need to learn from multiple sources if you really want to find your own voice.

After that, draw From life. Still life, figure drawing, self portraits in the mirror, all of that. Try to apply whatever you learn to your comics, rinse and repeat.

We cant really help you with just one comic page, though. So do some studies and post them!

I'll make better efforts to post regularly.

My influences for drawing really comes from the Tokusatsu Genre (Godzilla, Power Rangers, Ultraman, etc.), Matt Groening and other American Cartoonist. There are some animes that I take good liking to. I find the use of colors by Miyazaki and Mamoru Hosoda. I enjoy the White and Black backgrounds that convey strong contrast as well as forming a whole new universe.

As far as reference: I have a library on anatomy, drawing development, anime how-to's, medevil armors, and concept art books. Really it was whatever I can find on the net and at a book store. For Still Life and my surroundings, not as much as much as I should and I probably should focus on it. I know that I cant draw simple everyday things at whim.
    I enjoy the camera angle on the second panel. It will take a little more work but spice up the last three. They suffer a bit from the " talking-head syndrome." Ill piggy-back off the previous post and say you need to display more pages. Is there more to the story beforehand or after? This doesn't seem to stand alone. What does the character need to be avenged of? What's the significance of "noon"?

With every panel you need to consider every angle and frequently ask yourself questions. Consider, if you can, what the reader may think with every scene and every piece of dialoge. It's not terrible! Show us more and keep experimenting with backgrounds, fascial expressions and more camera angles!

I've notice the talking-head syndrome... is it through more expressive emotions and body language that can shake it off?

As far as the webcomic is going, I'll go ahead and post more bellow. I did not want to post an oversized picture. I've resized it to a good point. I'm making an effort to make the comic more readable.

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-1.png

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-2.gif

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-3.gif

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-4.gif

edited June 2013
    The latest LGRR installment.

In the first panel, I wanted to make it more dynamic. I chose a different perspective and attempted to make some attention marks. In Panel 2 I wanted to create a bit more serious tone. I consulted a tutorial and an anatomy book for a woman figure. I guess I need to draw the women figure more. Panel 3 and 5 have a similar background that I believe looks cool. It was hard to come up with new backgrounds, I figured not all the panels needed a background. Sometimes the text should also take a part of the panel as well.

Panel 4 is what I worked the most on and like the most. I enjoyed the expression on the face and the pose of the guy there. Also the cone was a lot of fun to draw. At first the curtains were non-existence but it seemed like the panel needed them.

I've just noticed now that treachery is spelled wrong...

Edit: Finally fixed. Whew...

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-5.gif

RamenRider on
    I've decided to make the protagonist's side burns more like side burns. Does it help when I add numbers to the corners to indicate the panel order?

I attempted to try some other perspective techniques to panels 1 and 2. Panel 1 from a simple two point perspective and Panel 2 from a downwards perspective. Panel 5 was the first time I had to color with a harsh light source.

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-6.gif

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Don't number the panels. The order in which you read the panels should always be clear from the way you've arranged them.

• McDMcD Registered User regular
    Whereabouts is the horizon line supposed to be on that first panel? If you're looking into learning perspective seriously, then I can recommend the book 'Perspective! For Comic Book Artists' by David Chelsea. It's really fun to read as well as being super-informative. It gets quite technical in parts, but you should really be able to get a lot out of it. Also, for comics stuff, 'Understanding Comics' by Scott McCloud and 'Comics and Sequential Art' by Will Eisner are must-reads. I'm sure you've heard of those before, but it really bears repeating. Apart from that, it's just about trying to get some volume and solidity to your work. Drawing from life, still life, all that jazz will help you so much with that.

Keep at it, practice as much as you can and you'll see big improvements!

m3nace wrote: »
    Don't number the panels. The order in which you read the panels should always be clear from the way you've arranged them.

Thanks for saying that. If there was a need of a number arrangement, then the whole strip would fail. I've removed the numbers. I'm concerned that the comic was not as clear. That just means I have to practice more.
    McD wrote: »
    Whereabouts is the horizon line supposed to be on that first panel? If you're looking into learning perspective seriously, then I can recommend the book 'Perspective! For Comic Book Artists' by David Chelsea. It's really fun to read as well as being super-informative. It gets quite technical in parts, but you should really be able to get a lot out of it. Also, for comics stuff, 'Understanding Comics' by Scott McCloud and 'Comics and Sequential Art' by Will Eisner are must-reads. I'm sure you've heard of those before, but it really bears repeating. Apart from that, it's just about trying to get some volume and solidity to your work. Drawing from life, still life, all that jazz will help you so much with that.

Keep at it, practice as much as you can and you'll see big improvements!

I will surely take a look at that. Nothing wrong about looking at more books. As far as must-reads, I am not entirely familiar with those authors.

I have not had the time to do more life drawing lately. I will be going on a vacation with the family this week. So I made the next comic just before packing. I made some gesturing in the thumb nailing to get the back flip in check (panels 5, 6, and 7). Panel 1 is my first attempt to create an illusion of a head shake. I will surely revisit head shaking. The last panel features an improvement to the previous newspaper panel back from Comic 4.
    There may not be a comic next week but I am always practicing. Thank you all for the replies so far.

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-7.gif

I managed to continue the comic for this week despite the vacation. I've also included some illustrations while I was on vacation. I will upload some more life drawing as well as some anime drawing. I believe I am improving with coloring and some shadows... Well I will believe and try to work on it.

Here is the Comic for this week.

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-8.gif

The next images are some doodles from the road trip and when there was nothing to do. I consulted the inner Bob Ross mind and drew some happy little stuff. I also drew some new characters that as well as the best Flash from memory.

ramenrider_sketch-03.jpg

ramenrider_sketch-01.jpg

This sketch was done quickly outside of a Baskin Robins. The street over was a regular drug store.

ramenrider_sketch-02.jpg

Here is this weeks LGRR. I have drawn some anime drawings.The July 4th week is a little busy for me. I will be uploading when I can.

ramenrider_let-s-go-ramen-rider-9.gif