As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

It's a fucking internet forum for God's sake. You don't like the way it's run, find another or make your own.

This vocal minority is just bitching.
    Games and Technology is three and a half times the size of SE++, four times the size of D&D, and larger than all the other forums put together. We are NOT the minority.

How did you arrive by these numbers? I would be willing to bet money they are not accurate. Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but I bet the logic you used to arrive at it is flawed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

It's a fucking internet forum for God's sake. You don't like the way it's run, find another or make your own.

Games and Technology is three and a half times the size of SE++, four times the size of D&D, and larger than all the other forums put together. We are NOT the minority.

If you're going by amount of posts, our prune limit is a hell of a lot less than yours.
    G&T Chat thread by itself had more posts yesterday than all of SE++. About twice as many.
    Yeah, I'm sure that wasn't a special case!

It really wasn't- we went through at least one chat thread a day. Just sayin'.

DarkPrimus on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Not every thread in SE is derailed.

If a thread is interesting, people will talk about it. For example, music threads. People talk about music in them, because they know they're there for music.

However, posting a thread called "Bears" is not interesting. Yes, it's true that bears are quite the animal, but they do not make for threads. So instead of cluttering up the forums with new threads and locked threads, they just get derailed into a topic people will talk about.

Garlic Bread on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    And if this is just an internet forum, why can't we have our thing in your forum? I would be completely okay with that, but you all are making fairly clear that's not going to happen.

If somebody makes a thread, and enough people stay on topic, there is no problem.

Fuck, just PM a bunch of G&T refugees and hijack a shitty thread sometime and use it for a chat thread.

Abracadaniel on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    And if this is just an internet forum, why can't we have our thing in your forum? I would be completely okay with that, but you all are making fairly clear that's not going to happen.

It's because they want to keep what they have, but don't mind if we share in it. They're not being forced to change anything (besides having a few more posters). We're expected to change what we have been doing for years.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    THanks for the response Duck, do we have a precise list of the mods behind this decison. I ask serious, because I'm not sure if they have made that clear.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:

Well, the point at which the attitude changes is when it's not good for anyone involved. There is going to be an element of compromise on a lot of people's parts, but right now there are some G+T people that are pushing for everything to be resolved this very second or so help me I'll....! And of course, there are some SE people that don't like it, but they'll either live with it, leave or do something stupid and get banned.

When you're talking about the one mega thread, or 100 little threads all closely related but not quite...both have been tried, and both failed miserably. Ancient (maybe 2 years now) history in SE. Well, the 100 little thread thing pops up every now and then, but thankfully it's minor.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    Hero, we dont need to hijack your thread, I simply don't see why we can't have a general, fast moving chat.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Ok, the popualtion thing wasn't a good point, but that doesn't make our questions less ligitiment

This is the second time I have seen this word in this thread, and www.dictionary.com isn't telling me what it means.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    has anyone pointed out that
    The chat thread is not a friendly place. You've turned it into a cesspool of in-jokes and stupid anime screencaps. If someone new comes in there, if you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you yell at them. You were turning Games and Technology into SE++ lite.

essentially says "This is bad behavior, like a lesser version of SE++" but yet SE++ isn't demonized by the staff like we've been?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    THanks for the response Duck, do we have a precise list of the mods behind this decison. I ask serious, because I'm not sure if they have made that clear.

I'd imagine every mod was in on this. The last time I was around for an attempt to get rid of the chat thread it was the G+T mods and some of the more vocal mods from the other forums that chimed in. For something like this I can't imagine it wasn't all the G+T and SE mods at the least.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    I don't see how megachat failed in any manner other than bothering the mods for some reason. We have never been told what we were doing wrong.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Hero, we dont need to hijack your thread, I simply don't see why we can't have a general, fast moving chat.

Why not just make use of an AIM chat, or IRC? Aren't those better suited to your needs? I know there's an official PA IRC channel.

Anime Owns on
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:

We have those.

They just tend to follow their own course rather than staying on topic.

Take a crappy thread and use it to talk about whatever you guys want to talk about.

EDIT: Gig...no. Don't do that. You're trying to pour oil on Alaska.

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    The chat thread is not a friendly place. You've turned it into a cesspool of in-jokes and stupid anime screencaps. If someone new comes in there, if you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you yell at them. You were turning Games and Technology into SE++ lite.

essentially says "This is bad behavior, like a lesser version of SE++" but yet SE++ isn't demonized by the staff like we've been?

SE is not....wait for it.....wait for it....an on-topic forum!

I should just make this my title!

A duck! on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:

You weren't demonized, but rather they just decided they would rather not have content and attitudes like that in an on topic forum.

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    because i don't want to fuck around with IRC when the GT chat was working just fine. I fail to see why this shitstorm was a better idea that leaving GT chat as is.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:

We have those.

They just tend to follow their own course rather than staying on topic.

Take a crappy thread and use it to talk about whatever you guys want to talk about.

EDIT: Gig...no. Don't do that. You're trying to pour oil on Alaska.

It made sense to me at the time. ;o

Anime Owns on
    edited September 2006
    I'm not even sure why we are arguing with your SE guys. This isn't your job. The mods need to come in here and explain themselves. They clearly haven't done that to any satisfaction.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    The decision has been made.

Fucking deal with it.

That means either

A) Learning to post in SE++ and dealing with it's random nature and a bit of hazing if you act dumb

B) Leave.

Yes they have Mav.

The G&T Chat thread had become insular, cliqish, and unfriendly to new posters.

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:

Speaking only for myself, I never participated in the chat threads in G&T because they moved at light speed.

What is the point of trying to follow a thread if the sucsessor thread will be filled and locked before you are finished with the first one? If you need to talk that gawdawfully fast, get on IRC. It is free, and you don't have to register if you don't want to.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As a G&T'er who rarely ventures outside, I didn't really have a problem with Whippy's decision, as long as it was handled well.

Well...it's not being handled well. By ANYBODY. Here's my take on the groups:

G&T'ers: Yeah, they're being whiny bitches. It's not a huge deal, we'll find a place for them to get their chat on. It's only been a day, for christ's sake. They should just cut it out.

SE++ : You guys are just being dicks. You're advocating A) cliquey behavior to a group that was just disbanded for that very thing, B) not making stupid threads, but instead making stupid posts in random threads, and C) telling them to stop whining, when they're the ones getting shafted, and you're not. None of these are smart/polite. I realize that you pride yourselves on this kind of behavior, but it's still not very becoming.

Mods: You made a change to the largest sub-forum, in order to promote the one-ness and unity of the forum as a whole, and then didn't alert the other sub-forums about it, or do anything to ease the transition. You pointed the G&T people at other forums, telling them they were no longer welcome to chat there, but then didn't make any effort to make sure they actually got somewhere. And now when they follow your instructions, they're getting yelled at.

Finally: I realize that this is just an internet forum. Whoopity-doo, it's just a forum. It's completely pointless and meaningless, right?

Wrong. This is a community of friends, and a damn big one. That's why this is important to everyone here. Saying that it's 'just a forum' shows that you don't really have the same kind of connection to it, or to the people.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:

Fucking deal with it.

That means either

A) Learning to post in SE++ and dealing with it's random nature and a bit of hazing if you act dumb

B) Leave.

I'm glad you got this post out of the way, Smart Hero. That way no one else has to seriously say something this stupid.

Thanks for taking one for the team, champ.

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:

Fucking deal with it.

That means either

B) Leave.

And I'm sure you would react that way if the mods came out of nowhere, telling you that you are a huge problem to the forum at large, and must completely assimilate into D&D, at which point they are free to treat you however they see fit.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

Was Whippy reffering to the stupid in jokes and screen caps when he said SE++ Lite? or the fact that the hostility make the place unfriendly?

Sliver on
    edited September 2006
    Mods: You made a change to the largest sub-forum, in order to promote the one-ness and unity of the forum as a whole, and then didn't alert the other sub-forums about it, or do anything to ease the transition. You pointed the G&T people at other forums, telling them they were no longer welcome to chat there, but then didn't make any effort to make sure they actually got somewhere. And now when they follow your instructions, they're getting yelled at.

The mods gave SE warning.

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

Was Whippy reffering to the stupid in jokes and screen caps when he said SE++ Lite? or the fact that the hostility make the place unfriendly?

I'd say the latter. We don't like those first two.

Javen on
  • The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Jesus H.

Go outside.

Get some fresh air.

How did you arrive by these numbers? I would be willing to bet money they are not accurate. Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but I bet the logic you used to arrive at it is flawed.
    I assure you, I did take pruning into account... Which has been lax-to-nonexistent since The Crash back in May. G&T's numbers are actually a bit lower than they should be, compared to the bulk of forums (particularly D&D).

G&T is the largest subforum and I don't know why it's forbidden to say that.

The Sphinx on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    What I don't get is why the megathreads have to go. They were usually very helpful and only really got out of hand whenever big news got announced relating to the thread's console of choice.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

I'm sure he meant it in the nicest way possible, because (shock) SE++ isn't a bad place. They're usually only 'hostile' to people who deserve it.

Anime Owns on
    edited September 2006
    Look, I'm not going to be nice to anyone because they're coming from G&T, and I'm going to call someone out when they do dumb shit, especially if they've been members of these boards for a while, because they should fucking know better then to stir the shit in someone elses pot before thinking about how the regulars may react.

You want to post at SE? I can't stop you, nor can anyone else, but that doesn't mean you get a free ride because 'The topic would have been fine in G&T'

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

Please give me some quotes of the GT'er yelling at people for doing anything not obviously designed to aggrivate people. These second hand accounts don't cut it.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

You weren't demonized, but rather they just decided they would rather not have content and attitudes like that in an on topic forum.

...that is the most irresponsible act of forum moderation I have ever heard of

no fucking wonder we're disowned by the owners of PA

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:

B) Leave.

C) Ignore the lameness that is SE++ and continue doing what you did in G&T, just be careful to stay under the radar so the mods don't jail you for it.

Fixed.

xzzy on
    edited September 2006
    Gigglio wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

I'm sure he meant it in the nicest way possible, because (shock) SE++ isn't a bad place. They're usually only 'hostile' to people who deserve it.

So it's okay for you guys to be hostile when you feel appropriate, but the GT'er lost their chat for the same reason? I don't understand why so many of the SE guys here refuse to consider why we are upset about this. I never even posted in the chat thead. I've made 4 posts total before this thread. All this nonsense was enough to get me in to this and I don't even post.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    Can someone give me a list of the Mods who were for this decision, so I can try to get one in here?

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

...that is the most irresponsible act of forum moderation I have ever heard of

no fucking wonder we're disowned by the owners of PA

Is that line from something? I'm not sure I've heard that exact quote before.

A duck! on
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:

B) Leave.

C) Ignore the lameness that is SE++ and continue doing what you did in G&T, just be careful to stay under the radar so the mods don't jail you for it.

Fixed.

And this is the sort of stupid elitist bullshit that got your chat threads shut down, and has caused G&Ters to get hazed in SE++

It's a handful of angry G&Ters bitching, and a handful of SEers being dicks, and a WHOLE FUCKING LOT of people who don't care either way.

Abracadaniel on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    my only problem with this whole ordeal is I find it awfully offputting that G&T is the only "on topic" forum that even lost their chat thread.

Why does D&D get to keep theirs?

Ludious on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    You know what, the mods are doing the right thing.

They're not explaining anything to you because: a) they don't have to, this isn't a democracy and you can't do anything about it, and b) it doesn't matter what they'd say, this is an argument not unlike a religious or political debate. Both sides will be retarded in trying to prove their points and completely ignore any point the other side makes.

So, fuck it. I'm done arguing with you guys.

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.