As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Next gen, curent gen and the show floor

disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in PAX West
Now that everthing at E3 has been announced I wounder how much of the floor at prime will be next gen vs. curent gen?

disabledgamerj2 on

• WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    That's a good question.

I really want to get a good look at the current gen games that will be coming out this fall, but if it's possible I'd also like to get my hands on both of the next gen consoles, I've already made my decision on which one I'd like to buy, but I'm still going to try both out and see how the controllers feel and to play the demos of whatever exclusives they have set-up.

• disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    glad some of the next gen games will have curent gen versions

• edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    PAXians have an expectation of having E3 brought to them, especially three months before console launch. Therefore, everyone should be pulling out their best next-gen content. There will be dev kits all over the expo floor.

6YJGH2V.png
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't expect anything to be running on PS3 or 360, developers and publishers want their product to be presented in the best possible way. The next gen consoles are the platform to do that with (or high end PC).

It'll be odd seeing Microsoft twist in the wind in their own hometown though. With all the agro they've picked up from gamers these last few months it might be awkward.

There will definitely be a few Xbox 360/PS3 games there though. There are still a few games coming out this year and next that are highly anticipated, but won't be coming out for next-gen, like Arkham Origins.

I'd also like to try out the newer Occulus Rift modes they have, and it would be cool if those guys making the omni treadmill were there, that would be fun to try out.

edited June 2013
    Imsorad wrote: »
    It'll be odd seeing Microsoft twist in the wind in their own hometown though. With all the agro they've picked up from gamers these last few months it might be awkward.

Not to delve too deeply into the (over)dramatics of the pending console war, Microsoft will be showcasing plenty of games, and questionable policies aside, people will want to play those games. Aside from that, the PAX Community tends to and is expected to behave with a bit more magnanimity when it comes to what other people are interested in. Want to play a Xbox One game? Then, go stand in line without fear of being harassed. This is PAX. "Welcome Home". While I won't speak for anyone but myself, I can't imagine there will be much tolerance for outright harassment or disruptive soapboxing at the MS booth. And that's the way it should be.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
    You make it sound as if I meant that nobody wanted anything to do with them except harass them. You're putting words in my mouth that I didn't say. Stop it.

I'm sure that plenty of people (myself included) will want to get there hands on the Xbox One controller. I was merely making an observation based on the games industry as it is.

You make it sound as if I meant that nobody wanted anything to do with them except harass them. You're putting words in my mouth that I didn't say. Stop it.

I'm sure that plenty of people (myself included) will want to get there hands on the Xbox One controller. I was merely making an observation based on the games industry as it is.

My comments are likewise based on the industry as is. Have you seen the state of intelligent discourse in gaming media? Not exactly Douglas and Lincoln at 10 paces. At this point, a debate between Senator Giant D. and Judge T. Sandwich would be considered civil.

That was not my intention to put words in your mouth. Let us call that the end of the discussion and make peace.

6YJGH2V.png
    I like how the people here are nice ^_^

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013

Calm down, nobody put words in your mouth. He wasn't even talking about you. He said that PAX is the sort of place where that doesn't happen.

zerzhul on
  • DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular

On the contrary, I think there might be a lot of curious gamers looking at the Xbox One to see if the games are worth the horrid system policies. Wii U sold me for 'first pick' last year at their Wii U party thing in Seattle (I would own it already if Rayman hadn't been delayed), PS4 sold me for second by... well, by not making me uncomfortable with how the system works.

Microsoft, so far, has only managed to un-sell me on the Xbox One. Instead of wondering when I'll buy one, I'm wondering if I'll ever want one at all. I'll be curious to get a better look at the thing, to see if the games make it worth putting up with. Considering that all this had me re-evaluate my current collection, and realize there is a good chance I wouldn't own an Xbox 360 if I hadn't gotten it as a gift... it's gonna take something mind-blowing to sell me on the upgrade. I'm gonna be very, VERY interested to see a game that good.

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Tbh there will probably be more next gen than current especially from MS and they'll probably be exclusive.

They're hurting pretty hard in the court of public opinion and will probably try to show a bunch of exclusives to entice us gamers that the Xbox policies are worth all the awesome exclusives you'll get to play if you buy one.

Or so I hope because I wanted to like the Xbox, but didn't see anything I could only get on the Xbox One that I liked enough to overlook the policies. So here's hoping for more next gen and exclusives from Xbox.

sanovah on
    wounder if Titanfall will be there given its not out till spring. If it is the giant statue from E3 needs to be with it

wounder if Titanfall will be there given its not out till spring. If it is the giant statue from E3 needs to be with it

And it's all seeing eye!
    Plus it would be cool if they released any info on whether or not it will stay exclusive or not. I heard at they're exploring the idea of bringing it to the PS4 if they can.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I may spend more time on the show floor this year, given all the new toys that will be out and about.

E6LkoFK.png

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    All the new tech coming out is literally the one reason I decide that this was the year to make the trip to PAX. It's not every year we get 2 fresh new consoles that are unplayable anywhere else but at a dedicated convention for gamers.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    And let's not forget that: http://www.buildwindows.com/ is a thing happening in a week and a half. There should be some more XBOne information coming out during the BUILD Conference and who knows what else. The expo floor should be a hell of a thing this year, no doubt about that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thinking about this I actually have to wonder how many next gen games we'll see at PAX this year.

I really only paid attention to games I was interested in, but I saw way more 2014 than I saw 2013 games. Thinking people that go to east may see more and sooner than us this August.

So I'm not really sure how many games we'll see or whether it will be a bunch of pandering from MS and Sony just trying not to screw up. I'd bet either East or next Prime will be the time to go for games.

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Not being a console gamer, it's hard to be interested in either new console but from what I've seen of the PS4 so far kinda makes me want to get back into it.

Albeit I'll still be mainly interested in any new PC tech that they'll have there.
    Oh and also Assassin's Creed ;-)

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Out of all games I am really hoping Destiny gets demoed, I am wanting to buy that game but would like to play before I splurge the $60 for it.

Other titles I am hoping make an appearance: Titan Fall, Kill zone 4 (the new one forget the name) & InFamous Second Son

I do think we will have a decent chance of seeing the new consoles though as they would be launching in the upcoming months and something like Pax would most definitely help showcase what the system can do, what the controls feel like & of course help make people feel better about their pending purchases :P

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Out of all games I am really hoping Destiny gets demoed, I am wanting to buy that game but would like to play before I splurge the $60 for it.

Other titles I am hoping make an appearance: Titan Fall, Kill zone 4 (the new one forget the name) & InFamous Second Son

I do think we will have a decent chance of seeing the new consoles though as they would be launching in the upcoming months and something like Pax would most definitely help showcase what the system can do, what the controls feel like & of course help make people feel better about their pending purchases :P

I'm excited to give Destiny a whirl too. I didn't play the first two InFamous games but I think it's neat that it's set in Seattle. Also really hoping to see Beyond: Two Souls this year.

• DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    I think that once people get to play the Xbox ONE and see what it can do a lot of the hype for the "restrictions" will die down. And honestly I think that most of that is blown out of proportion, MS has stated clearly that the restrictions on borrowing trading and renting games would be up to the developers discretion; it's only MS developed games that will have the hard restrictions that they announced. And most PC gamers are like welcome to our world, we've been dealing with these restrictions for the last decade!

Myself, I applaud MS for not keeping it a secret until launch and then being like "oh by the way..."

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
    ^ not that I disagree but I thought sony came out and said there are no restrictions?

I find most people who are upset with the restrictions are mostly people who pirate games. Its not all pirates but I bet a good portion of them are.

The only restriction I find kind of stupid is the whole 30 day on friendslist thing and some of the kinnect stuff but its not going to stop me from purchasing an xb1

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
    ^ Sony won't have any restrictions themselves, it's up to publishers if they want to have their own form of DRM though, like online passes.

And the biggest gripes I have about the Xbox One are that discs are pretty much worthless, there is no borrowing/lending of games (unless the person is connected to your account, is your friend for a month and has a constant Internet connection to stream the game form the cloud, which only works if they are the only one using the Internet in their house) and the 24 hour check in. A good amount of military personnel won't the able to bring the Xbox One with them when they are deployed (and the way Micrsoft handled talking about this was just insulting, "If you like playing games offline or don't have access to he Internet, we have the perfect product for you! It's called the Xbox 360!") I could have dealt with the DRM and picked one up in the future to play the exclusives, but I really can't support them just giving a big chunk of their supporters in the military and foreign countries the middle finger.

I do plan to play what they have there to see what I'm missing, but I am definitely not buying one.

edited June 2013
    Hey guys, there's a great thread in Games and Tech that talks all about this. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/179743/xbox-one-read-the-op

One thing I'm wondering... will there be PC based dev kits or near-production units running games at PAX. A lot of people throw a fit when they see a console dev kit that shows a blue-screen or a desktop. That veneer of "consolosity" seems really important to some people.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
    ^ Yeah but I thought there would be no other restrictions other than the online pass.

I agree I don't sell or trade in too many games but once in awhile if I pass a game really fast and it doesn't have MP or I am not interested in MP I usually sell via craigslist but with the XB1 I can't do that unless X person is on my friends list. I understand its similar to how a PC works but I'd much rather they drop the whole 30 day friends list thing that just seems ridiculous.

Thanks for the thread Edge have to go check it out!

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
    And thanks to Microsoft's announcement earlier our entire discussion is pretty much mute now

• Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    And thanks to Microsoft's announcement earlier our entire discussion is pretty much mute now

I think you mean "moot". But that's ok ;) And hey, it looks like a situation where bitching loud enough actually made a difference. Now... If we could address that price point...

I don't know about that. I assumed this thread was about seeing next gen consoles on the show floor. The main DRM/debate was happening in the G&T thread (where it's on topic). I would say keep on discussing next gen consoles in the context of seeing them at PAX.

^sorry about that :p

Now I'm even more excited to try the Xbox One out at PAX since I'm interested in it again.

And I hope they have some more Kingdom Hearts 3 info.

edited June 2013
    Hey guys, there's a great thread in Games and Tech that talks all about this. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/179743/xbox-one-read-the-op

One thing I'm wondering... will there be PC based dev kits or near-production units running games at PAX. A lot of people throw a fit when they see a console dev kit that shows a blue-screen or a desktop. That veneer of "consolosity" seems really important to some people.
    almost everyone does it, i say it lets you try the game so quit bitching

disabledgamerj2 on
    One more thing I'd like to see is the next generation of TV's. I still haven't seen a 4k TV in action but I'd sure like to.

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    I'd expect to see both systems on the floor. We will only be 2-3 months from launch at that point.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I was unaware that there was a new type of t-shirt coming out. I will be sure to get as many different types as I can from the t-shirt floor this year, current or next gen.

jCyyTSo.png
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    The real question is, will OUYA be on the show floor (or perchance in a nearby parking lot...)

edited June 2013
    The real question is, will OUYA be on the show floor (or perchance in a nearby parking lot...)

lol, what is that thing anyway?

disabledgamerj2 on
  • bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular

lol, what is that thing anyway?

$99 Android console.

On which you cannot use Google Play.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    XBOne vs PAX Showfloor Wi-Fi

Alas, this is a cage match we will never get to see now. :(
    zerzhul wrote: »
    On which you cannot use Google Play.

lol?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular

I'm half expecting it to take the place of the Firefall bus.

This discussion has been closed.