As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just finished Rain-Slick 4...

IgortIgort Registered User regular
Incredible. Loved every second.
There's still a couple of caves you can only access using the Airship which I have yet to beat, but other than that...

I really liked the reveal of the narrator as the Fourth God. I remember the narrator back in Episode 1 urging the player to not worry about his true nature; it was nice to see that plot thread close as I thought it may have been dropped. Also, during the same sequence when they make a nod to the player character. Perfectly executed.

Incredible job, guys. Will definitely be giving it another play-through ASAP. Might even play through the whole series...

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just finished it myself. Fantastic game, right up there with the classics that get remembered for generations.

My only criticism is a lack of New Game+. I would've liked to have been able to keep the ultimate weapons and money from the final dungeon to finish upgrading the items and such.

However, I suspect this will come with some DLC in the future, so it's all good if that ends up being the case.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• AskerothAskeroth Registered User regular
    I don't know. I liked the game well enough, but it was shorter than I expected. By the time you get to the end-game, there are only a few bonus caves and there wasn't much in them. The bonus monster was nice; I used all of the game's free level chests on him except for the ones that you lose access to, but the other caves had a few items that didn't fit my party. Even the bonus weapon for opening the four special chests didn't do anything for me. It was shoe knives or something, and none of my characters used speed weapons. I was hoping the coliseum would be back, but there were only two easy fights in it to my knowledge. I kept going back to check but nothing new happened.
    However, I suspect this will come with some DLC in the future, so it's all good if that ends up being the case.
    He said there will be no DLC. Zeboyd is moving on to new projects.

I just wonder how these games would have turned out if they kept the original developers. I know the story would have more-or-less been the same, but I have a hard time picturing how it would have worked with the same gameplay mechanics as the first two games. I'm pretty sure our character would have continued to star in every game, for example.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, no DLC for Precipice 4. In the case of Cthulhu Saves the World & Precipice 3, there were things that we wanted to add to the game but didn't have time to before launch, however with Precipice 4, this isn't the case. I mean, there were a couple of minor things we would have added if we had another month or two, but nothing anywhere near as major as the Cthulhu's Angels alternate mode in Cthulhu Saves the World or the bonus prologue scenario in Precipice of Darkness 3. As it is, Precipice of Darkness 4 is probably our biggest game yet so even with no DLC, we think it offers great value for the $5 it costs.

And well, we've been working with this world in some fashion since 2010. We're really eager to start something new.

• AskerothAskeroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, no DLC for Precipice 4. In the case of Cthulhu Saves the World & Precipice 3, there were things that we wanted to add to the game but didn't have time to before launch, however with Precipice 4, this isn't the case. I mean, there were a couple of minor things we would have added if we had another month or two, but nothing anywhere near as major as the Cthulhu's Angels alternate mode in Cthulhu Saves the World or the bonus prologue scenario in Precipice of Darkness 3. As it is, Precipice of Darkness 4 is probably our biggest game yet so even with no DLC, we think it offers great value for the $5 it costs.

And well, we've been working with this world in some fashion since 2010. We're really eager to start something new.
    I get what you're saying. I just think Precipice of Darkness 3 had more charm, even before the DLC. The small epiphany in space and breath of death levels. The coliseum. Fighting Molly. We also got to revisit some areas from the first two games. Precipice of Darkness 4 was good, but I never felt particularly attached to any of the towns. When I fell into the under-under-hell, I thought things would have gotten weird in a good way, but a short dungeon later and I was already topside. Most of the charm in the game came from the Team Rocket like fish-based group.

Askeroth on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I loved the the game, and the end especially.
    Tycho really is the worst person.

Edith Upwards on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The game was great, but I felt like the story was a little sparse compared the narrative in the previous game though.

Very much looking forward towards future Zeboyd projects.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Finished it last night.

I have to admit, the ending made it all come together as to how and why Tycho wanted to end the universe- and why he put Ann-Claire in the crystal. It seemed evil at the time, but once it all came out, well... he wasn't locking her away for eternity. He was leaving the universe in hands that he could trust to not fuck up- hers and the player's. And letting Moira finish him for everything he'd done seemed like poetic justice.

I just wish more had been made of Hestia. She just seemed like an afterthought replacement to Dr. Blood- don't get me wrong, I liked having her in the party over him, but she was just there as... well, it felt like she was just there to even it out near the end.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    It's a shame that more people aren't talking about this game. I'm about 3 hours into it right now and it's already high up the list of my favorite JRPGs of all time. It's a definite improvement over Rainslick 3 in every way, and I happened to love Rainslick 3 (there's a special spot in my heart for games with job systems). The combat system is consistently extremely engaging and with the constant influx of new monsters and abilities it remains varied and requires significant decision making every fight (my biggest problem with Rainslick 3, and most JRPGs, is that once you got a good strategy going there is little incentive to switch things up and not just repeat the same set of actions every fight). Despite retaining the same 16-bit style the art has improved dramatically, though much of that may be due to the change of setting that allowed the game to really stretch its wings. After three games of fighting in Hobo Alley the change of scenery is extremely appreciated.

Tycho's writing is just spectacular in this game and I think it's some of the best he's ever done. "Bizarre and humorous depictions of hell" is basically the ideal application of Jerry's talents; above all I think he excels as a cosmic horror-comedy writer. The more occult and fantastic you allow him to get, the better the product will be, as his imagination seems to work best at a grandiose scale. The biggest improvement by far, though, is the music. It sets some great emotional tones and gives the whole endeavor the epic feel that the entire rest of the series has been missing.

@RainbowDespair @Rorus Raz @Tube

I realize that you have an entire sub-forum just for the Rainslick games, but hardly anyone ever comes here, as it is tucked away in a tiny pocket of forum exile. I imagine there are a huge number of people who would be interested in playing or discussing this game that don't even know it exists. Why not allow a thread in G&T for this game so that more people can actually see and discuss it? Or, at the very least, some sort of announcement with a redirect? I can't help but feel like this game is not getting a fraction of the attention it deserves.

Also, Rainbow, I'm currently working on a modest JRPG project with another amateur game designer. Would you be interested in talking and maybe answering some questions for me in regards to indie development and JRPGs in particular? If so, what's the best way to contact you?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    You can make a thread about this game in G&T. I have no idea why you would think you couldn't. I made one myself in SE.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    You can make a thread about this game in G&T. I have no idea why you would think you couldn't. I made one myself in SE.

Right on

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

Right on

Let me know when you make the thread @Winky I could discuss the "mythos" of these games all day.