As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    I don't think most G&Ters are prone to just jumping in and derailing any thread from its set topic.
    It's why we had an entire thread for it that caused nobody and real problems.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Ludious wrote:
    my only problem with this whole ordeal is I find it awfully offputting that G&T is the only "on topic" forum that even lost their chat thread.

Why does D&D get to keep theirs?

Maybe they play nice with their toys.

A duck! on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    SE is not....wait for it.....wait for it....an on-topic forum!

I should just make this my title!

This is something I genuinely don't get.

If SE++ is not an on-topic forum, and it's ok to go in and talk about whatever you want, in whatever topic you want, then why are any threads locked? Nothing is technically off-topic. Even if it's a thread you don't like, someone could just go in and talk about something else. So why is locking necessary?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    G&T is the largest subforum and I don't know why it's forbidden to say that.

I didn't say it was forbidden to say that. I was questioning your scientific method, not your conclusion.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    You know what, the mods are doing the right thing.

They're not explaining anything to you because: a) they don't have to, this isn't a democracy and you can't do anything about it, and b) it doesn't matter what they'd say, this is an argument not unlike a religious or political debate. Both sides will be retarded in trying to prove their points and completely ignore any point the other side makes.

So, fuck it. I'm done arguing with you guys.
    I did the same hours ago. Now i'm posting in SE like it's a regular foruming day.

Sanius on
  • Options
    Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:

They're not explaining anything to you because: a) they don't have to, this isn't a democracy and you can't do anything about it, and b) it doesn't matter what they'd say, this is an argument not unlike a religious or political debate. Both sides will be retarded in trying to prove their points and completely ignore any point the other side makes.

Someone please save this for when any major, arbitary changes are made to SE. Thank you.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

If SE++ is not an on-topic forum, and it's ok to go in and talk about whatever you want, in whatever topic you want, then why are any threads locked? Nothing is technically off-topic. Even if it's a thread you don't like, someone could just go in and talk about something else. So why is locking necessary?

I'm confused about that myself too.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

Because SE++ is about organized chaos. Anything, anytime is a rather broad range of topics, so depending on the specific subject, some threads make the cut and some don't. The mod staff generally handles threads case by case and while the occasional thread will go unnoticed or let go due to forumer demand, generally they do a good job at keeping a nice balance between order and anarchy.

Javen on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

The easiest way I can think to describe it is that locking threads are the moderator's way of attempting to keep the IQ level in SE++ up into something that registeres on a scale. If they think a topic will go down like a five dollar hooker, they will axe it before the desent.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Side note:

I hate the argument that "this isn't a democracy and you can't do anything about it."

The simple truth is that this is not a dictatorship either, because no one is holding a gun to our heads and forcing us to post. For as much as people tell others to leave, they do it thinking the other person -won't-, as if in a mocking fashion.

I don't know if all of a sudden the segregation of the subforums will get better with this action. But I do know that all parties involved are going to miss out on meeting some very cool people due to those choosing not to fear the paper tiger.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

Actually talking about anime is against the rules.

Furries are A-OK though.

Sliver on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Someone please save this for when any major, arbitary changes are made to SE. Thank you.

We had our sig size standard changed just a few weeks ago, to be more in line with the community as a whole, if I'm not mistaken.

And even then there were a handful of people bitching, rattling their cages, bemoaning the mods and the cruel fate that had taken their large sigs away.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

That's actually a good question! I was normally against locking threads, but oftentimes you just plain had to. If person A got to post something mind-numbingly retarded, then there's usually a person B waiting in the wings waiting to out-do them. That's one I've seen through experience. Other threads are locked and removed due to prior history on the forums. Anime threads have been off and on due to the cliques and the murky legality of fan-dubs, camwhore threads were gone for the longest time (and are now regulated) because it was a lot of chat, not a lot of pictures, and other threads are removed because they just slide into shit no matter how many times they crop up (sexy women threads). Other ones like "post your desktop" and "show us your room" are also encouraged to be infrequent, because they get tiresome quickly.

tl;dr - Threads are locked because we can't trust shitheads.

A duck! on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As far as I have gathered, we're free to post in SE++ as long as we don't mention anything about G&T or chatting. Which makes sense, as it's kinda like saying chat twice.

What gets me is the attacks people were levying earlier based entirely on someone's avatar, sig, or post history.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

We had our sig size standard changed just a few weeks ago, to be more in line with the community as a whole, if I'm not mistaken.

And even then there were a handful of people bitching, rattling their cages, bemoaning the mods and the cruel fate that had taken their large sigs away.

I actually don't know if an ultimate decision was made in that regard, but if I recall general consensus was 'whatever' or 'okay sure'

Javen on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I think you can understand the difference between that and the current issue.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Most of the large sigs are pretty bad. 500x80 represent

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Or, uh, how about when we were completely removed from the rest of the forums? There was that one.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Or, uh, how about when we were completely removed from the rest of the forums? There was that one.

When did that happen? (I really don't know anything about that)

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

Actually talking about anime is against the rules.

Furries are A-OK though.

D&D (an ontopic forum, by the way) has an anime thread. Go crazy.
    As for the locking of some topics and not others, if you just look at some of the topics that get locked, it's pretty easy to see why it happens. Most of them have very little substance and would usually disolve into stupidity. Bri has a pretty good explanation, too.

Edit - a duck! to the rescue.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    That was, if I recall, when Happenstance and Ribaldry reigned.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Ssssh. Don't speak my love.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    That was, if I recall, when Happenstance and Ribaldry reigned.

Beat'ed

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Well, I'm checking out of the thread, thanks to everyone who remained civil about this.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

This was maybe a year or two ago, but due to incongruity in the rules between on-topics and off-topics, SE was removed from the on-topics and put into it's own page. You'd get a main page that would direct you to either the on topic section, or the off topic section, which was really just one forum. It was renamed Happenstance and Ribaldry (H+R for short) on boddah's suggestion, and we were essentially seperated from the other forums. If you see hate in SE for G+T it comes from two sources, and was inbred for pretty good reasons. One was Dr. Dizaster, a G+T mod that engendered the mentality that G+T was better than SE, and the other was the split (which soured some people on all of the on-topics).

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I was just beginning to post regularly when that went down.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    A) Learning to post in SE++ and dealing with it's random nature and a bit of hazing if you act dumb

B) Leave.

C) Ignore the lameness that is SE++ and continue doing what you did in G&T, just be careful to stay under the radar so the mods don't jail you for it.

Fixed.

And this is the sort of stupid elitist bullshit that got your chat threads shut down, and has caused G&Ters to get hazed in SE++

It's a handful of angry G&Ters bitching, and a handful of SEers being dicks, and a WHOLE FUCKING LOT of people who don't care either way.

There's nothing elitist about it. It's just "a difference of opinion". I've said previously that I'm glad there's people that enjoy SE.. just that I am not, and probably never will be, one of them.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Keith wrote:

This was maybe a year or two ago, but due to incongruity in the rules between on-topics and off-topics, SE was removed from the on-topics and put into it's own page. You'd get a main page that would direct you to either the on topic section, or the off topic section, which was really just one forum. It was renamed Happenstance and Ribaldry (H+R for short) on boddah's suggestion, and we were essentially seperated from the other forums. If you see hate in SE for G+T it comes from two sources, and was inbred for pretty good reasons. One was Dr. Dizaster, a G+T mod that engendered the mentality that G+T was better than SE, and the other was the split.

Before I go, thanks for the history lesson. I think I vaguely remember that screen, but I only really lurk GT. I do remember Dr. D being around though, so I must have been around for that. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    A) Learning to post in SE++ and dealing with it's random nature and a bit of hazing if you act dumb

B) Leave.

C) Ignore the lameness that is SE++ and continue doing what you did in G&T, just be careful to stay under the radar so the mods don't jail you for it.

Fixed.

And this is the sort of stupid elitist bullshit that got your chat threads shut down, and has caused G&Ters to get hazed in SE++

It's a handful of angry G&Ters bitching, and a handful of SEers being dicks, and a WHOLE FUCKING LOT of people who don't care either way.

There's nothing elitist about it. It's just "a difference of opinion". I've said previously that I'm glad there's people that enjoy SE.. just that I am not, and probably never will be, one of them.

Then how about enjoying D&D instead of hopping around like the kid in your avatar?

A duck! on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ok, here's what doesn't make sense.

When I asked about locking threads, every response you guys made, though well thought out and reasonable, had at least something to do with the topic of the thread, and its purpose.

Something you have already claimed is irrelevant.

Seriously, you guys have extolled the virtues of posting random crap in a boring thread, or where you think your topic is more interesting than the stated one. You've claimed it's not thread assassination, because such a thing is impossible in an off-topic, chat forum.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.

That is a straight up and down lie.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    So I'm back reading through Whippy's initial post...

The chat thread is not a friendly place. You've turned it into a cesspool of in-jokes and stupid anime screencaps. If someone new comes in there, if you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you yell at them. You were turning Games and Technology into SE++ lite. My favorite word to describe the overall air of the place is xenophobic.

This is the part we've all seen, and gets quoted quite bit.

But there's something that is making me scratch my head a bit later:
    But where will I go to chat?

Might I suggest the forum we've had set up for years, the one made specifically for chatting? I've told them to play nice.

This is the suggestion, right?
    I want this forum to be about games and technology. I don't want this to be the ''come here if you couldn't cut it in SE++'' forum. So that's what the point of all this is.

Here's where my eyebrow raises.

This part gives a few different impressions, depending on how you read it. One strong impression is that G&T is a place that people who fail in SE++ come.. this implies second-class status, or a waiting line of sorts. It also implies that SE++ is a place that -has- a standard, one that G&T posters have failed to meet. This, again, implies elitism.

On the other hand, that part expresses that Whippy -admits- the G&T chat thread and megathreads have become a sort of "SE++ treehouse" for those who feel they are better than SE++, and want to create that kind of chat thread atmosphere without dealing with the masses. This is of course wrong, and I'm all for steps to alleviate that.

The thing that makes me wonder, though, is where the two will eventually meet. Is SE++ going to move up or down to meet with G&T, and the same question can be posited to G&T. And is this meeting of tastes even happening? So far, I've seen the equivelent of a middle-school dance: Everyone stands on different sides of the gym, making wise cracks about the other, and those that do venture between them are ridiculed because their very uneasiness gives the other side fodder.

I just dunno. I have so many questions right now. I look in G&T, and I see my main reasons for posting there are gone (I thrive on discussing next-gen consoles and the politics and business behind them). On the other hand, I am very much enjoying discussing the politics and business behind this choice here.

So.. yeah.

I'm gonna go find Ceres' post on the subject, as I think that needs to be seen.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Ok, here's what doesn't make sense.

When I asked about locking threads, every response you guys made, though well thought out and reasonable, had at least something to do with the topic of the thread, and its purpose.

Something you have already claimed is irrelevant.

Seriously, you guys have extolled the virtues of posting random crap in a boring thread, or where you think your topic is more interesting than the stated one. You've claimed it's not thread assassination, because such a thing is impossible in an off-topic, chat forum.

Again, if you get too many threads that are similar you invite trouble from people that want to push a joke. One shitty thread? Fine, let people try their thing at it. 500 shitty threads all at once? No, that's a problem. You only need to give people so much mud for them to play with to keep them happy. More than that and you start to piss off other people. I would LOVE to see the forum go back to M2 style free-for-all, but that isn't happening, and it's the job of the mods to weigh what will keep the most people happy.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:

The chat thread is not a friendly place. You've turned it into a cesspool of in-jokes and stupid anime screencaps. If someone new comes in there, if you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you yell at them. You were turning Games and Technology into SE++ lite. My favorite word to describe the overall air of the place is xenophobic.

Might I suggest the forum we've had set up for years, the one made specifically for chatting? I've told them to play nice.

I want this forum to be about games and technology. I don't want this to be the ''come here if you couldn't cut it in SE++'' forum. So that's what the point of all this is.

This part gives a few different impressions, depending on how you read it. One strong impression is that G&T is a place that people who fail in SE++ come.. this implies second-class status, or a waiting line of sorts. It also implies that SE++ is a place that -has- a standard, one that G&T posters have failed to meet. This, again, implies elitism.

On the other hand, that part expresses that Whippy -admits- the G&T chat thread and megathreads have become a sort of "SE++ treehouse" for those who feel they are better than SE++, and want to create that kind of chat thread atmosphere without dealing with the masses. This is of course wrong, and I'm all for steps to alleviate that.

The thing that makes me wonder, though, is where the two will eventually meet. Is SE++ going to move up or down to meet with G&T, and the same question can be posited to G&T. And is this meeting of tastes even happening? So far, I've seen the equivelent of a middle-school dance: Everyone stands on different sides of the gym, making wise cracks about the other, and those that do venture between them are ridiculed because their very uneasiness gives the other side fodder.

I just dunno. I have so many questions right now. I look in G&T, and I see my main reasons for posting there are gone (I thrive on discussing next-gen consoles and the politics and business behind them). On the other hand, I am very much enjoying discussing the politics and business behind this choice here.

So.. yeah.

No see, G&T is bigger, you guys are the top dogs.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:

xzzy wrote:
    The link in the OP confirmed my long held suspicion that I should never ever enter the SE forum. People voluntarily post on that board? People with measurable intelligence?

The mods expecting the G&T folks to cheerfully migrate over there and chat like they used to? Brilliant idea*. Seriously, an entire forum where hijacking an existing thread is preferred over making a new one is the most retarded idea I have ever come across.

that's sarcasm if you missed it
    Does not parse.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.

Consdering you're a Certified Angus retard I don't think you have much wiggle room. It's just that people in G+T and D&D don't have the ability to call you on it.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:

xzzy wrote:
    The link in the OP confirmed my long held suspicion that I should never ever enter the SE forum. People voluntarily post on that board? People with measurable intelligence?

The mods expecting the G&T folks to cheerfully migrate over there and chat like they used to? Brilliant idea*. Seriously, an entire forum where hijacking an existing thread is preferred over making a new one is the most retarded idea I have ever come across.

that's sarcasm if you missed it
    Does not parse.

Beat me to it.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

So.. yeah.

No see, G&T is bigger, you guys are the top dogs.
    I never said we were the top dogs. All evidence to the contrary, actually.

The Sphinx on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Then how about enjoying D&D instead of hopping around like the kid in your avatar?

I don't see anything there that interests me. I want to talk about games, and more games, and still even more games. Occasionally I want to goof off with a hilarious youtube or photoshop edit.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

Consdering you're a Certified Angus retard I don't think you have much wiggle room. It's just that people in G+T and D&D don't have the ability to call you on it.

Even if I am mentally retarded and not able to procces complex thoughts at least I am not evil. At the very least I try to value kindness, understanding and fairness. At least I believe in something besides the hardness of my own cock.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
This discussion has been closed.