As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Back to the boring old thread title of [Weight Loss & Fitness]

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    The key to drinking as much coffee as you want and still falling asleep whenever you rest for a second is to work 20 hour days for about oh any length of time

The key is to drink so much coffee, so frequently, that your body will seize upon any non-caffeinated window and shut you the fuck down before you have the opportunity to consume more

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    @psycojester Re: Shin Problems - Have you considered barefoot/minimalist running shoes? I heard those force you to change the way you run and thus impact your shins less.
    I haven't tried it myself yet, but I plan to when I have money for new shoes.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    If I get a weighted vest it wont be for a while. I do plan on getting weighted wrist and ankle stuff for when I do martial arts though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    If I get a weighted vest it wont be for a while. I do plan on getting weighted wrist and ankle stuff for when I do martial arts though.

That will totally screw with your reaction times, balance and technique. You're better off to train without them and then work on strength and endurance in other ways.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    But what if I want to train like Goku

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    But what if I want to train like Goku

I wasn't gonna say anything, but...

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    If a man spends 14 years working on his baseball swing, and you think the answer to getting him to hit harder and faster is to weight the bat, you will destroy his swing mechanics.

Another dumb thing to add weight to. So baseball and martial arts.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Everything I'd be doing with the weights is all slow movement stuff so it shouldn't affect me negatively.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    ¿Que?

What's the point of a slow movement ?

• Options
    Mediation in motion, breathing exercise, focus on specific movements of the body, and deepen familiarity with the movements.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I guess it's because in my field I have no real reason for the majority of "slow" movement. Even the majority of the supplemental exercises I wouldn't categorize as slow. Controlled and explosive, sure.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I guess it's because in my field I have no real reason for the majority of "slow" movement. Even the majority of the supplemental exercises I wouldn't categorize as slow. Controlled and explosive, sure.

And this is why he's such a hit with the ladies.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Mediation in motion, breathing exercise, focus on specific movements of the body, and deepen familiarity with the movements.

But even doing a specific kata with weights is going to feel very weird. You're adding a large amount of weight at the end of your limbs and that completely changes your balance point. And you will subconsciously compensate for that imbalance.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Double post

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    3rd class levers are no way to handle unbalanced long objects

!
    lets see what you can do with that one, @Peen

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    3rd class levers are no way to handle unbalanced long objects

!
    lets see what you can do with that one, @Peen

Uhh...

His username is Peen.

Peen.

I'm pretty sure if there is a pun to be made about schlongs, Peen is probably the go-to guy.

• Options

I don't do everything slow. The type of martial arts I do is Tai Chi Gung Fu. Generally the instructor I learn from will do forms slowly (meditation in motion type stuff, breathing and precise movements) and techniques quickly. When I practice on my own I do all of the forms and techniques I know slowly and then I do them fast. I do this because I went to a class where the instructor is a master in Tai Chi Chuan. The instructor taught in a very different way and focused heavily on slow movements of the entire body and of posture. I found it really interesting so I decided to incorporate that into my practice.

I also do Wing Chun wrist exercises, a Northern Shaolin Kung Fu dynamic tension exercise, and I plan on starting Iron Palms/Hands training.

I always feel a little self concious when I do this stuff at the gym before I workout but I'm also kind of hoping I can find some people who are interested so I can try teaching.

The idea for using wrist weights at least came from the Tai Chi Chuan instructor. He started the class of using them for the 20 minute warm-up we did and then took them off when we started doing forms.

I went into all of this to kind of explain stuff, not really sure it was necessary but it doesn't really matter I suppose. Funny thing, the Tai Chi Gung Fu instructor I learn from does the soft style of the form while his brother does the hard style. I just started learning the hard style from a student of the brother.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    er, sorry viv, who are you talking to?

not you, Shazkar

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I keep getting really fucking itchy the first seven or so minutes if running now and it's fucking annoying

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Let's all feel bad about ourselves for a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHB1qxqBsX0

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    not valid pullups

• Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    I keep getting really fucking itchy the first seven or so minutes if running now and it's fucking annoying

I get the same thing. It's lasts during the transition between dry and full-on sweating. For me anyway.

I get through it by trying to get sweaty faster.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Halibut wrote: »

I get the same thing. It's lasts during the transition between dry and full-on sweating. For me anyway.

I get through it by trying to get sweaty faster.

Same here, it's all right once the sweating kicks in.

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    my dad is 72 and way buffer than that guy

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think I read that the itchy thing is your capillaries expanding. It will be worse if it's recently been very cold or you haven't gotten much exercise lately. It should go away if you keep up a reasonable activity level.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I need some tips for beginner strength training, but I am not looking to get swole, as they say. I just want to tone up and improve my strength, especially my core and my back. Could not really care less about the size of my arms or chest, etc. Especially since I have my nipples pierced and am not sure how increasing the size of my chest will affect the piercings. I have access to a ridiculously good gym that is about 10 minutes away from my house and has a free daycare service. I just know there is a lot of bad information out there and need a good starting point to get going from.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    my dad is 72 and way buffer than that guy

Oh yeah?

Well, my Dad could totally beat up your Dad!

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    My dad is dead, so.. zombie dad? I don't know the rules!

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    @furlion Starting Strength is probably your best bet.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Yeah @furlion, SS is a good starting point. You want to be doing a progressive routine based around compound barbell exercises at least including squats, deadlifts and over head presses. Best to educate yourself with the starting strength wiki to begin with. Then come over to the strength training thread if you want to know more. Please note though it is difficult to get 'swole' and takes a long time. You don't need to worry about getting too big AT ALL.

• Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    I had pierced nipples in my younger days. They were unaffected by my efforts to increase my pec size. I never got super swole though, so YMMV.

• Options
    You will never get super swole without years of dedicated strength training, rigorous dieting, and possibly anabolics. The average dude benefits from strength training in ways too numerous to list, none of which are "holy shit I got too big." Go forth and lift young man.

Also toning isn't a thing, losing body fat and getting better muscles is. Eat mostly protein and vegetables and that'll take care of itself.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Yesterday I went to my friend's dance show, she had a piece in the Young Coreographer's Festival. It was more entertaining than I thought it'd be, though it was long.

But dang dancers have crazy bodies and can move them in the craziest ways. How is possible. Those bodies. So. Agile and stuff. And not crippley.

poo
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Forum hiccup

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    O

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    You will never get super swole without years of dedicated strength training, rigorous dieting, and possibly anabolics. The average dude benefits from strength training in ways too numerous to list, none of which are "holy shit I got too big." Go forth and lift young man.

Also toning isn't a thing, losing body fat and getting better muscles is. Eat mostly protein and vegetables and that'll take care of itself.

Yeah I know toning is really just lowering body fat until muscle is visible. I just want a little more upper body strength. My diet is getting healthier but I am not going to alter it enough to make any difference as far as strength goes. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables but will not give up soda. Water just tastes terrible with meals so I drink soda. I also love breads which I know is not ideal ( I have eaten a straight up loaf of bread completely plain before lol). I am naturally thin but my antidepressants packed about 20 pounds on me I would like turned into muscle.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    So you aren't willing to make the changes you need to, so you came here asking for tips on beginning strength training so you could ignore us? Ignoring diet, you want to progressively lift heavier things and make compound barbell movements your staples. For upper body that'd be bench, overhead press, deadlifts, and rows. You can row with dumbbells too, just make sure you're doing it.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    While strength training is a years and months game that doesn't meaning it's hard at all to get into or that you won't see a lot of initial up-front progress to motivate you to keep going for the long haul.

Also if you are wanting to put on a little strength in one area you aren't really helping yourself by not getting strong everywhere. It's easy to make excellent progress focusing on your entire body as a beginner, and honestly you are shooting yourself in the foot for being stronger later if you don't.

Plus squats make your ass look fine, who doesn't wanna be smuggling some hams back there?

Walt on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    While strength training is a years and months game that doesn't meaning it's hard at all to get into or that you won't see a lot of initial up-front progress to motivate you to keep going for the long haul.

Also if you are wanting to put on a little strength in one area you aren't really helping yourself by not getting strong everywhere. It's easy to make excellent progress focusing on your entire body as a beginner, and honestly you are shooting yourself in the foot for being stronger later if you don't.

Plus squats make your ass look fine, who doesn't wanna be smuggling some hams back there?

My first cousin twice removed once told me this woman's butt looked like two hogs trying to fight their way out of a sack.

He didn't make it sound flattering :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Water just tastes terrible with meals so I drink soda.

What

This discussion has been closed.