As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cookie/Biscuit Brigade - Attack of the Bickie Bandits!

1235»

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    so can you be an enforcer and part of the cookie brigade?

You can help the cookie brigade when you are not on duty for the enforcers. I'm not sure who the head of enforcers is/will be for Aus, but you can check with that person for specific rules. I know in the past we've had enforcers volunteer for the brigade.

fss_overall.png
  • zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    At very least, you should be able to do it when you are off shift...

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Both Enforcing (from personal experience) and Brigading(from what I have seen) are both fun exhausting activities. Enforcers off-shift time is indeed their own to do whatever an attendee could do with only a few exceptions where being an enforcer might give them an advantage. I'm not aware of any rule that says you can't do both, but I don't think many do for more than a year because that would leave you no time for the rest of PAX and be even more exhausting.

That being said, if you want to try it, more power to you. Just remember, for both jobs are extremely customer service oriented. Tired and grouchy is bad for both.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Damn, tired and grouchy is my default setting... but only at work :)

I only have 6 people signed up for the brigade for PAX Aus - any one else?

fss_overall.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have been told that Aus folks are more active on facebook, maybe recruitment will be/is better there?

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    I only have 6 people signed up for the brigade for PAX Aus - any one else?

Only 6 ? Bah lazy sods...FB is more active, issue is its also alot of disgruntled people who didn't get tickets, so be forewarned :p

• SandmanTechSandmanTech MelbourneRegistered User regular
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    I dislike the taste and texture myself personally.

GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY /endthecookiehate :P

A bunch of my mates are "Asian" although they identify as Aussie, they love them. It was something they didn't get at home very often. I depends on how you eat them. I have always maintained that ANZAC biscuit is not an ANZAC biscuit until its just on or over the verge of being stale. Right when its tough enough to use as amunition, remember the boys in gallopoli didnt get them fresh cooked, they had to be sent their in the mail packet.

We should probably leave ANZAC biscuits out of the cookie brigade though. As to sell anyting with the word ANZAC on it you need permission from the minister for defence's office which is why Subway stopped selling them cause the MOD said change the recipe back to the original, subway declined.

Actually, the biscuits were made from what rations were on the shore and would last the journey (sugar, oats, golden syrup, etc.) and were not sent to the troops from home (great uncle was a cook on the beach).

Also, anyone can make them and sell them within a community environment without permission. But it must be true to the recipe. Subway had their own variant which missed some ingredients as it was cheaper for them to make. And as it was also a commercial operation, they were in violation of the appropriate Federal Act.

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hey guys! PAX Aus 2013 is now just right around the corner. Like at east and prime we are going to collect information from bakers and distributors who plan to help out ahead of time so we can communicate information with you in a timely manner.

If you will be involved with the brigade at PAX Aus 2013, please fill out this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDZmN2hLaFZkZ1B3X2ZUTE5nQTgxUVE6MA#gid=0

If you're not already registered on the Cookie Brigade website and apply to be a brigadier ASAP so you can join our PAX Aus 2013 group.

ransim on
  • FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Done and done :D

Done and done :D

Cheers!

I am a bit sad I can't mail noms down to you guys so I'm going to help with pre-organizing as much as I can. You'll have to pretend I'm sending you tasty candy.

• chimpachimpa Connor Jacobs BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    spectator wrote: »
    Hi all. Just a heads up for those coming into the country and bringing cookies, you may run into trouble with customs if the cookies are not commercially packaged. In fact, you may run into trouble bringing in cookies regardless.

Welcome to Australia - land of the most sensitive customs checks in the world. If you bring food from overseas, DECLARE IT! A lot of stuff they will let you keep, but if you come in with food and don't declare it, they'll take it off you and slap you with a $220 "Welcome to the country" fine. Not a fun way to start your PAX experience. If you declare it, then find out that you can't bring it in, you won't be fined, because you were honest.

• fantanoicefantanoice Quiet, please, it's snack time! Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be easier to wait until you get here to buy the ingredients / bake them?

/onlyreadapageback

tumblr_mnq25vklfY1qd673co1_250.pngtumblr_mnq25vklfY1qd673co2_250.png
    fantanoice wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be easier to wait until you get here to buy the ingredients / bake them?

/onlyreadapageback

This is our general recommendation for Brigadiers and bakers is to plan to bake in country rather then trying to bring it in or mail it. Its a bit of a change from East and Prime where we rely on people bringing stuff with them and mailing it.

• tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    not to mention australia is notoriously strict about bringing in food/plant material, so it would save alot of trouble just buying the ingredients here
    edit: just saw chimpa's post above mine, so yeah, what he said

tokyodove on
    I did check the Aus gov site about what you can and can't bring into the country and from what I read cookies are ok, as long as they're completely finished and nuts/fruits are not going to be added later. I would definitely say declare it though.

fss_overall.png
    I'd personally wait until I got here... Australian customs doesn't like anything even remotely unusual, and they might thing it's a drug smuggling operation or something. Even if they let you through customs, the way baggage is handled you might end up with a big bag of cookie dust.

• FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    DECLARE DECLARE DECLARE

do not be caught out. If you declare something and your not supposed to be bringing it in, the item will be taken off you and thats that. If you dont declare and get caught, its a minimum $250 fine and can be up to thousands depending on how they charge you. You could even face deportation on the next available flight to home.

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Brigadiers: you probably have questions. I'd like to give you answers. So let's have a meeting! Go here and fill out the survey so I can schedule one at a good time/day: http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?topic=395.0

HI3789R.png
  • TsolisTsolis Registered User new member
    Just a reminder if anyone is making Anzac bickie's is that they should come out of the oven soft and gooey. They will set afterwards into a great chewy biscuit.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Tsolis wrote: »
    Just a reminder if anyone is making Anzac bickie's is that they should come out of the oven soft and gooey. They will set afterwards into a great chewy biscuit.

If you let them set, you're doing it wrong. So make a double batch so you can sell one lot whilst you're finishing off the first. Or strap wheels to your oven so that the other PAXians can buy and/or fight you to the death for them fresh.

Working on my Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies now. I got to use my matching skills to convert my recipe to metric and figure out the correct temp for baking :P I also learned that you guys seem to prefer flat chocolate buttons to the more conical chips.

HI3789R.png
  • tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

If you let them set, you're doing it wrong. So make a double batch so you can sell one lot whilst you're finishing off the first. Or strap wheels to your oven so that the other PAXians can buy and/or fight you to the death for them fresh.

biscuits made for the trenches should be fought over like you're in the trenches

• TsolisTsolis Registered User new member
    tokyodove wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

biscuits made for the trenches should be fought over like you're in the trenches

That is the best line I've heard in a long time I just can't seem to stop giggling over the pictures in my mind. Hundreds of people all in digger's kit in trench warfare over a ooey gooey biscuit.

edited July 2013
    Just posting since I know @aerynkelly and @punzie are both sleeping at the moment (I hope) and running crazy, update from Twitter:
    First day total: $1534.45!!!

Nice work guys!

ransim on
    ransim wrote: »
    Just posting since I know @aerynkelly and @punzie are both sleeping at the moment (I hope) and running crazy, update from Twitter:

Nice work guys!

I walked with a limp when I left BYOC with my empty bikkie bin and a bag of sweet donation lewtz...those guys were viciously hungry :D

I'll be back today folks, look for the guy in a grey hoodie with the bad Tony Stark goatee wearing a cookie-brigade badge and please give generously! Or in my Iron Link suit assuming I can see enough wearing it..might need an assistant :D

ransim wrote: »

Nice work guys!

I walked with a limp when I left BYOC with my empty bikkie bin and a bag of sweet donation lewtz...those guys were viciously hungry :D

I'll be back today folks, look for the guy in a grey hoodie with the bad Tony Stark goatee wearing a cookie-brigade badge and please give generously! Or in my Iron Link suit assuming I can see enough wearing it..might need an assistant :D

By the end of PAX your feet are going to want to disown you.

I can't wait to hear about how Aus went at the end, it sounds like people are having a lot of fun.

At last count I think we topped $4000!

edited July 2013
    Final numbers: $5016.80 raised at our first trip to PAX Aus. You guys beat our first trip to East by almost $2000! <3

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    punzie wrote: »
    Final numbers: $5016.80 raised at our first trip to PAX Aus. You guys beat our first trip to East by almost $2000! <3

BOOYEH TAKE THAT EAST BRIGADIERS! - Balls in your court now ;)
    Congrats to everyone involved and thanks to everyone who donated!

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Woot, awesome start.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    I'm pretty sure by the end of it brigadeers were just shaking bags of cookie dust at people and shouting "FOR THE KIDDIES!!!"

• mordiemordie MelbourneRegistered User new member
    zerochosen wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure by the end of it brigadeers were just shaking bags of cookie dust at people and shouting "FOR THE KIDDIES!!!"

When I was in a line up for the main theatre for on the Friday for the PA Q and A one of the Cookie Brigade came along the time and was trying to get people to buy some - As soon as she dropped the words "for Child's Play" the hands went into the pockets to get money to buy the cookies ...so mention the are for Child's Play as I think alot of the punters didn't know why the cookies brigade where doing - new to the PAXs environment and all.

"madness by my Friend..."
    There was no buying of cookies. Because cookies are free and donations are optional. I always made a point to say that as well as mention the donations were for child's play. I found it funny that so many people were ready to donate before I told them what the donations were for :)

HI3789R.png
    I had to do a lot of explaining of what Child's Play was as well, a few people wanted to make sure they wern't just handing money to a suspicious looking pirate for the hell of it :)

This discussion has been closed.