As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Back to the boring old thread title of [Weight Loss & Fitness]

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Peen wrote: »
    So you aren't willing to make the changes you need to, so you came here asking for tips on beginning strength training so you could ignore us? Ignoring diet, you want to progressively lift heavier things and make compound barbell movements your staples. For upper body that'd be bench, overhead press, deadlifts, and rows. You can row with dumbbells too, just make sure you're doing it.

That is not really what I said but I appreciate the sarcasm. I am not ignoring diet just not going all out watch every single thing I eat deal. I have no urge to do more then increase my upper body strength, by which I mean my entire upper body. Arms, back, chest, abs, etc. I was simply curious as to what a good starting point is for a routine to make myself stronger and healthier. I will look into the program mentioned up thread.

For most of my life drinking straight water would trigger my gag reflex. No idea why, but in order to be healthier I just powered through it. Still can't stand the taste especially with food.

Edit: I suppose I should add I already work my legs and ass, as well as cardio.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    If plain water tastes terrible, try squeezing a lemon or lime in it?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Water shouldn't have any taste. That being said, I get water flavoring from Wal*Mart and they last awhile and have basically no calories.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Always ice water. I can't stand room temp water, cold is good but on ice is best.
    And yeah, if you just cannot do water then start adding simple things to help (lemon, lime, mint, berries[?], ginger, whatever).

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So weird

Anyway I was feeling depressed so I went for a 2 hr walk

So
    Cool I guess

poo
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Saw a "recipe" fire some strawberry mint water and man I want to do that.

Stopping soda alone was about two or three kgs loss for me. I now drink tons of tea. I've even gotten myself down to drinking tea without any sugar.

My thing was juice more than soda (not that I didn't partake from time to time). I still miss juice, but soda.. eh. I should look into teas as well, I know I've had green tea suggested to me as a health aide many times.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    green tea is great first thing in the morning and after a meal and pretty much all the time.

I've got this amazing tasting 'Recovery' herbal tea from Republic of Tea called "Get Recovered" supposedly for post-workout (green rooibos, ramon nuts, milk thislte, dates, carod pods, chicory, stevia, grape seed extract). It's got just the right amount of sweetness in it to keep the endorphines going.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    So my grandmother gave my mother some old photographs last week. I went through them and...

I had forgotten how overweight I used to be. It's weird and a bit awful but it also explains a lot about my regular mental state in terms of body image today, seeing these photos of a version of myself that I'd forgotten.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    You should feel great about yourself, @Lost Salient. You're doing amazing.

Also wow, I so tired right now and I've already slept. I have got to fix this lack of energy thing, fast.

So my grandmother gave my mother some old photographs last week. I went through them and...

I had forgotten how overweight I used to be. It's weird and a bit awful but it also explains a lot about my regular mental state in terms of body image today, seeing these photos of a version of myself that I'd forgotten.

What you need to remember is that looking at how you were and now and realize that you are still the most beautiful.

I have no idea what I was writing there, but it ended with you being beautiful.

So we'll go with that.

I think it started with her being beautiful too, @lonelyahava. :P

• TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I am not ignoring diet just not going all out watch every single thing I eat deal. I have no urge to do more then increase my upper body strength

youre not going to increase strength without eating better, and you dont have to count calories to eat better

I am not ignoring diet just not going all out watch every single thing I eat deal. I have no urge to do more then increase my upper body strength

youre not going to increase strength without eating better, and you dont have to count calories to eat better

Haha wow this is really an issue for some of you. Well point me in the direction of a good information source for proper diet and I will peruse and absorb it. But I already know how to eat right, and I do so. If I have given the impression I do not them I am sorry. Also claiming it is impossible to increase strength without some sort of specific diet is foolish. Is it faster and more efficient? Absolutely, which is why I am doing it for the most part. But is it the only way to do so? No, not up to a certain point. I am not disagreeing with what is being said, i simply already know it. I am not a novice to living healthy, just weight training.

In actual weight loss news I have lost five lbs and trimmed my 5k down from 35 minutes to 30 over the past two weeks. I really want a 26 or so minute 5k. I usually alternate longer slower paced runs with shorter faster ones, 5k or more down to 1 or 0.5 miles.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just do the exercises peen mentioned and also maybe chin-ups and you'll be golden.

edit: Starting Strength is not a fantastic program if you only really care about upper body strength.

FrylockHolmes on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My diet is getting healthier but I am not going to alter it enough to make any difference as far as strength goes... will not give up soda. Water just tastes terrible with meals so I drink soda. I also love breads which I know is not ideal

Yes hmmm where would we have gotten the idea that you weren't interested in eating to improve your strength.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I just don't drink soda anymore cause the mass amounts of HFCS in it makes me gag now.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    If drinking water triggers your gag reflex you have been fatally poisoned.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I'm still hovering around 240.

I should really look in to exercising or something.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Tube wrote: »

No idea why but I was like that my entire life. Even as a toddler.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

What you need to remember is that looking at how you were and now and realize that you are still the most beautiful.

I have no idea what I was writing there, but it ended with you being beautiful.

So we'll go with that.

Thanks dear! It really didn't bum me out or anything so much as it was enlightening. And now I shall demand that all of those photos be burned.

Also there were some amazing photos of me with my massive My Little Pony collection.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Someone I haven't seen in a little while commented that I seemed more muscular.

I mean I knew I was making progress but I didn't think it was noticeable without looking at me in the mirror every day. Feels good, you guys.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

You should see your doctor about that.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Stragint wrote: »
    If I get a weighted vest it wont be for a while. I do plan on getting weighted wrist and ankle stuff for when I do martial arts though.

please tell me you aren't actually thinking about kicking and punching with weights on your ankles and wrists.

EDIT:
    Stragint wrote: »
    Everything I'd be doing with the weights is all slow movement stuff so it shouldn't affect me negatively.

oh good, that's good. i was worried there for a second, didn't see this post.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It worked for goku.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    It worked for goku.

So did the spirit bomb.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Someone I haven't seen in a little while commented that I seemed more muscular.

I mean I knew I was making progress but I didn't think it was noticeable without looking at me in the mirror every day. Feels good, you guys.

Yeah. I know this feel today.

Somebody from the other office was in our office today. I haven't seen them for about a year and a half or so and I was wearing one of my newest tops (size 14 baby! woo!) and they did a double take (seriously. a double take. For ME!) and they were like "HOLY HELL! Sarah, you have lost a shitton of weight! WOW!"

and then they went into their meeting.

And I was just....

GIANT GRIN!

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Isn't that just the best feeling, Ahava? :rotate:

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    Isn't that just the best feeling, Ahava? :rotate:

Seriously! It was like the cherry on top of my sundae kind of day!

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Awesome LA

Bluhhh I'm on the gym toilet cuz I couldn't sleep again

I will go see a doctor or something idk

poo
    TheStig wrote: »

Yeah, you might be drowning.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Seriously furlion, just giving up all soda completely is like the easiest thing you can do and it actually makes a huge difference. If you drink a lot you might feel shitty at first while missing it, but after a while you'll feel immensely better.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Finding a calorie free soda was a bit of a game changer for my weight, (coke zero makes me happy in my tummy), I'm down the best part of 50 pounds I think since the start of last year.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

If you are still having trouble, just remind yourself it is just like deep throating dick, and eventually, your gag reflex will numb.

Blake T wrote: »

If you are still having trouble, just remind yourself it is just like deep throating dick, and eventually, your gag reflex will numb.

Never had the chance to deep throat sadly. Perhaps I should clarify it is the taste of the water that makes me gag. Just disgusting tasting. Also I drink one or two sodas a day and often swap out tea. But I like the taste of them and when I do drink one I just work it into my meals for the day.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Water has a taste?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Perhaps the lack of taste bothers them, much like silence might bother some. Just get some sort of flavored water additive or at the very least switch to low/zero calorie soda.

Fyndir wrote: »
    Finding a calorie free soda was a bit of a game changer for my weight, (coke zero makes me happy in my tummy), I'm down the best part of 50 pounds I think since the start of last year.

Zero got me through a few years, but I've pretty much kicked soda completely thanks to the introduction of precious, life-giving coffee.

They always have coffee going at my job (3rd shift) but I've never partaken. I wonder if I should now.

This discussion has been closed.