As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm shocked, shocked to find that [Movies] are going on in here!

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited June 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
In 1878 Edward Muybridge created this astonishing film of a race horse in motion, one of the very earliest examples of the medium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEqccPhsqgA

130 years later humanity has advanced to the extent that we create things like the perfection that is Scary Movie 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDZ8M47j0I

Movies! 24 frames a second, unless you're fancypants Peter Jackson and think 24 frames isn't good enough for your genius vision and need another 24 frames a second.

Films! Action, romance, intrigue, scares, heart-warming family tales! Here's famous director and eyebrow salesman Martin Scorcese talking very quickly about movies he loves in an excellent documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0yuKp55cuw

Motion Pictures! Talk about how dumb they are these days here.

Bogart on

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yay a movie thread!

Nobody made a new movie thread, so you people get this post.

I just saw Oldboy. Holy fucking shit. I'm still on a bit of a movie rush, the kind I usually only get in the theater.

The score. Brilliant, sad, beautiful. The performances. Just amazing. The action. Gut wrenching and well choreographed. That hallway scene. One shot. Ballsy.

And then the last 30 minutes just blew me completely away.

I now feel confident saying Hollywood should not remake this. They couldn't do it justice.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    We could talk about favourite movies as well for a bit, I guess. I have a bunch of favourite movies. Midnight Run, The Godfather, Annie Hall, Get Carter, The Italian Job. But maybe the one I've seen most often at the cinema is Casablanca. Whenever the arthouse cinema gets a print in for a day I trot along and smile blissfully through a romance where the boy doesn't get the girl, and ends the movie instead at the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

It's also the movie that contains perhaps the finest supporting character in movies: the amazing Captain Renault, played by the incomparably wonderful Claude Rains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DEG6BWgp0

He's a man's man.
    Annina: Monsieur Rick, what kind of a man is Captain Renault?
    Rick: Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.

He's a lady's man.
    Captain Renault: [to Ilsa] I was informed that you were the most beautiful woman ever to visit Casablanca. That was a gross understatement.

He's cool under pressure.
    Rick: And remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.
    Captain Renault: That is my least vulnerable spot.

And he gets all the best lines.
    Captain Renault: Round up the usual suspects.

Bogart on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Last night I watched Die Hard on a Good Day to Live Free With a Vengeance, or whatever the hell the new one is called. It was not a terrible movie, and I kind of enjoyed it, but it in no way felt like a Die Hard movie. It was a Bruce Willis goes to Russia and shoots bad guys movie.

I did get the entire series on BD though as a Father's Day gift, so there will be some Die Hard goodness coming down the pike.

Today I saw This Is the End. If you watch the trailer and think, "Hey, that looks like a movie I will enjoy," then it is a fantastic movie and you'll love it. It is Seth Rogan and company dicking around, largely adlibbing, for two hours while the end of the world happens outside. There are many dicks. There are many discussions of dicks. Basically, Rogan has discovered a new artform and its medium is dick. If that sounds keen, go watch the movie, it is brilliant.

Anyone going O_o right now, you might wanna skip this one.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Probably my top movie as well. Never had the opportunity to see it in a theater though.
    Perhaps I'll pay a call on Yvonne, maybe catch her on the rebound

I had thought this was a newer expression, apparently not.

And later, as she comes in with a German officer,
    Rick: Looks like Yvonne's gone over to the enemy
    Captain Renault: Who knows, in her own way she may constitute an entire second front.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    My GF told me last week she had never seen Stand By Me. I fixed that this weekend.

I haven't seen it in ages. Completely forgot about the plot with Weasley's brother and his best friends issues with what people think of him. Still a great movie. Looking at it at this point, you can really see it's based on a Stephen King story. It's got his touch with characters all over it. They story sort of meanders about, but the confrontation at the end gives it a sense of conclusion and the ending is surprisingly downbeat. It really hits that feeling of the end of some big experience shared with others where you don't want it to end but know it has to and really melds that with the similar melancholy of the end of childhood.

The kids do good acting work for the most part. Jack Bauer being such a complete asshole is perhaps the only thing that seemed almost caricaturish, but not to the extent where it doesn't work.

Also, Jerry O'Connel is a hilariously fat kid cause holy shit, look at him now.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure the Body was the first King story I ever read, shortly after watching the movie on TV back in elementary/jr-high.

I think this weekend, I need to watch some B/W classics...

newSig.jpg
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Casablanca is so great--not just because the main story works like gangbusters, but also because it's filled with a vast array of detailed character moments, little side narratives, and extremely clever dialogue. Every time I rewatch it I remember again how much of the movie is really about everybody in Rick's, and how under his ownership a place he built as an escape from duty and morality becomes inextricable from those obligations. The little short story in the middle, for instance, where he arranges for a young couple to win enough money at the tables to leave. Rick is a man who would very much like to do the wrong thing, if only he weren't incapable of that. He's a hero almost in spite of himself, and one of the joys of the movie is watching his truly decent character emerge from behind the mask of cynicism and selfishness he's built to hide it.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I like either Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket more.

Apocalypse has a lot of incredible images and great performances but Full Metal Jacket has an equal amount of both plus better music but Apocalypse has Marlon Brando's monologues and so I can't choose.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Just went to see Man of Steel, with my dad for Father's day. I don't go out to see movies that much (Last one I saw in theatres was... Robin Hood, with Russel Crowe), and I am very easy to please, when it comes to movies (the closest I've ever been to walking out of a movie, or shutting it off, was Transformers), so my review is rather positive:
    Storyline, I thought was done rather well, if a bit exposition heavy. I'm not sure they found the right balance of "Cut out the boring bits, vs. explaining the history of Krypton", but it was okay. I did like the flashback where Clark gets overwhelmed with sound, xray vision, etc, and hides in a closet. Most storylines tend to gloss over how bloody traumatic that would be, and as someone who has had panic, anxiety attacks as a kid, I sympathise.

The plot was a generic stuff, but hey, I didn't come in the theatre expecting Shakespeare, I came in expecting Superman punching bad guys through buildings. And it didn't dissapoint. Sadly, I was kind of taken out of the movie by overthinking stuff. Like "Hey, why are you guys just standing in the middle of the street, when the World Breaker lands, you should get the fuck out of there." Or "Oh man, all those buildings, destroyed, think of the clean up costs" Sure, the movie didn't explain how the hell a deformed skull contains all the genetic info of an entire race, or why the hell no back copies exist, or why Krypton's space colonies would die out when cut off from the home world. But, whatever.

On a scale of Superman I to Superman IV, I'd rate this movie a II.

(I'm pretty sure you know which end of the scale represents best vs. worst)

Man, I always go into the theater expecting Shakespeare. I mean, movies are made with hundreds of millions of dollars, thousands of very smart, talented people, for the consumption of millions of people. I always want a movie to knock my socks off, because if not, why the fuck am I there?

I'm not saying every movie needs to be great in the same way (the Shakespeare way) but I want every movie to be great in its own way.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Today I saw This Is the End. If you watch the trailer and think, "Hey, that looks like a movie I will enjoy," then it is a fantastic movie and you'll love it. It is Seth Rogan and company dicking around, largely adlibbing, for two hours while the end of the world happens outside. There are many dicks. There are many discussions of dicks. Basically, Rogan has discovered a new artform and its medium is dick. If that sounds keen, go watch the movie, it is brilliant.

Anyone going O_o right now, you might wanna skip this one.

I watched this 1.5 times due to a massive storm knocking out power in my area. The first time through, I had no idea where they were going with things. It cut out just as Jonah Hill says a prayer. And I liked it up to that point, it was funny and charming. But holy shit, right after that scene, they turned it up to 11. Watching everybody play a version of themselves was great. Jay Baruchel came across as kinda a cunt, but everybody else was hilarious. Danny McBride scares me now.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if I like either Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket more.

Apocalypse has a lot of incredible images and great performances but Full Metal Jacket has an equal amount of both plus better music but Apocalypse has Marlon Brando's monologues and so I can't choose.

It might help to think of FMJ as 3 short stories tied together by a single character. Joker in Boot, Joker covering the War, Joker IN the War.

newSig.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This Is the End was funny, and the second best movie of the summer behind Fast 6. It's got good offensive humor throughout, and the cameos were mostly good. Is Kevin Hart 4' or is Jason Segal 7' ? It was heavy on the dicks, and the very, very end felt way too forced and I didn't think it was as funny as others in the theater did.
    The Backstreet Boys appearance wasn't as funny as the Gangnam Style drug montage, and felt as forced as Wilson Phillips showing up in Bridesmaids or Mike Tyson singing One Night In Bangkok in Hangover 2.

Good comedy that will no doubt get a terrible sequel made, probably with female comedians in NYC or something,

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I watched Manhunter last night. Wow, 80s. I haven't seen Red Dragon to compare it to, but the Leckter character was done pretty well imo.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Oh, good, the movies thread is back.

So, over the last several years, multiple people have told me that I need to watch Super Troopers. So I did.

I must now dedicate my remaining years to hunting down these fiends and exacting my revenge...

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This Is the End was funny, and the second best movie of the summer behind Fast 6. It's got good offensive humor throughout, and the cameos were mostly good. Is Kevin Hart 4' or is Jason Segal 7' ? It was heavy on the dicks, and the very, very end felt way too forced and I didn't think it was as funny as others in the theater did.
    The Backstreet Boys appearance wasn't as funny as the Gangnam Style drug montage, and felt as forced as Wilson Phillips showing up in Bridesmaids or Mike Tyson singing One Night In Bangkok in Hangover 2.

Good comedy that will no doubt get a terrible sequel made, probably with female comedians in NYC or something,
    I gotta see this... and not just because I'm watching all of Freaks and Geeks.

I could see a "sequel" of what's going on elsewhere with the cast of Bridesmaids. I would totally watch that.

I am basically up for any of these groups of hilarious people riffing off each other for two hours.

Also,
    the bit between McBride and Franco about jizzing everywhere had me fucking crying. Like, couldn't-breathe-wracked-with-laughter crying. Holy fuck.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

So, over the last several years, multiple people have told me that I need to watch Super Troopers. So I did.

I must now dedicate my remaining years to hunting down these fiends and exacting my revenge...

I don't think it's aged particularly well.

But it DID give us Brian Cox in a drunken fist-fight, so I can't stay too mad at it.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Just caught Looper on the free HBO / Starz weekend. Wanted to see it in the theater, but missed it.
    Pretty mediocre. Had a decent concept with the time travel, and even the setting, but didn't really seem to want to really use any of it. A whole lot of nothing in between a few plot points.

Definitely some attitude / mood whiplash with some of the scenes. The widespread crime / vagrancy and other issues, but then people didn't have bars on their window, latchkey kids, all that stuff? Didn't seem to fit together.

And holy shit, having Bruce Willis murdering little kids? The story is basically like someone watched 'The Terminator', and thought it wasn't edgy enough. That's not cool.

Got a few others that we grabbed on the DVR - Moneyball, 21 Jumpstreet, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Running Man (always worth watching), J. Edgar, so I'll be catching up on some of my movie watchin'.

@zagdrob I'd consider skipping J. Edgar if I were you. It's just not good. And not in the way that Running Man is not good. You're better off watching Tinker Tailor twice.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Astaereth wrote: »
    @zagdrob I'd consider skipping J. Edgar if I were you. It's just not good. And not in the way that Running Man is not good. You're better off watching Tinker Tailor twice.

I live to see you eat that statement, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!

Houn on

Not Blade Runner...Running Man. The original, with Arnold and Jessie Ventura and all that.

A classic movie, can be watched by anyone, at anytime.

I'll take your advice on J. Edgar. I think my dish box may have fucked up taping it anyway (huge surprise there....) so it might be a moot point.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    The Running Man is a fucking terrible movie. About the only decent moments are Jesse Ventura being pissed off and the game show host chewing scenery. It's garbage, and well, well below Arnold's best action movies.

Bogart on
    Running Man is a shitty movie, but not in the way that J. Edgar is a bad movie, because J. Edgar is mostly just boring, whereas Running Man can be cheesy fun if you're in the right mindset.

It's criminal how good it would have been if they'd adapted the book faithfully, though. Maybe we'll get another shot at it one of these days--the time seems ripe, given that violence, dystopias, reality tv, and rage at widespread income inequality are all popular subjects for movies these days. Hard to say if the public would accept something so bleak, though (and much as I'd like them to, there's no way in hell any filmmaker would be allowed to keep the ending).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Just went to see Man of Steel, with my dad for Father's day. I don't go out to see movies that much (Last one I saw in theatres was... Robin Hood, with Russel Crowe), and I am very easy to please, when it comes to movies (the closest I've ever been to walking out of a movie, or shutting it off, was Transformers), so my review is rather positive:
    Storyline, I thought was done rather well, if a bit exposition heavy. I'm not sure they found the right balance of "Cut out the boring bits, vs. explaining the history of Krypton", but it was okay. I did like the flashback where Clark gets overwhelmed with sound, xray vision, etc, and hides in a closet. Most storylines tend to gloss over how bloody traumatic that would be, and as someone who has had panic, anxiety attacks as a kid, I sympathise.

The plot was a generic stuff, but hey, I didn't come in the theatre expecting Shakespeare, I came in expecting Superman punching bad guys through buildings. And it didn't dissapoint. Sadly, I was kind of taken out of the movie by overthinking stuff. Like "Hey, why are you guys just standing in the middle of the street, when the World Breaker lands, you should get the fuck out of there." Or "Oh man, all those buildings, destroyed, think of the clean up costs" Sure, the movie didn't explain how the hell a deformed skull contains all the genetic info of an entire race, or why the hell no back copies exist, or why Krypton's space colonies would die out when cut off from the home world. But, whatever.

On a scale of Superman I to Superman IV, I'd rate this movie a II.

(I'm pretty sure you know which end of the scale represents best vs. worst)

I had similar feelings about the movie. I wasn't expecting it to follow the comics closely so I enjoyed it.
    I love that they made Lois Lane non-stupid and had her figuring out his identity rather quickly. Plus that made the end with him working at the Planet make more sense. I always hated the "omg he has glasses on" as a physical disguise.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular

But...it gave us so many good lines!
    "I'll believe that when my shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet."
    "These shnozberrries taste like shnozberries!"
    "Who wants a mustache ride?!"
    The whole shenanigans bit.
    "Ohhh right. Biker. I'm an idiot."
    "I want a liter of cola." -Which I have used at a fast food joint and the person behind the counter started laughing.

Honestly, it's probably one of my favorite comedies.

Karrde1842 wrote: »

But...it gave us so many good lines!
    "I'll believe that when my shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet."
    "These shnozberrries taste like shnozberries!"
    "Who wants a mustache ride?!"
    The whole shenanigans bit.
    "Ohhh right. Biker. I'm an idiot."
    "I want a liter of cola." -Which I have used at a fast food joint and the person behind the counter started laughing.

Honestly, it's probably one of my favorite comedies.

3uvvb9.jpg

• Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I had completely forgotten that was in that movie. Consider me chastised.

I'm not big on image macros, but... this was sort of a special occasion. ;-)

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Superman, was, kinda retarded but ok as a mindless action movie.
    Sooo... superman had the generics of his whole people spread throughout his cells. And, like, he is now the last of his kind. And well... there's a whole bunch of rather hamfisted christian callouts.

Given these factors, you got to wonder about the moral implication of young clark fapping. He'd sort of, literally be spooging away the genetic heritage of krypton. unngghuhh... and into the sand goes several million unique potential Kryptonians.

Space Jesus is worse than hittler.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

Meh some of it was amusing but the pace/comedy just died in the last half of that movie. At best I would give it a "if you have nothing else to do it is kind of amusing" recommendation.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Saw This is the End last night, and while I enjoyed it I don't think I enjoyed it as much as some others. For me, I felt the best joke came very early on, and the rest of the movie failed to top that for me. The joke in question was:
    When Jay and Seth burst into the party after just witnessing the Rapture, only for everything to still be in full swing, nobody having noticed anything was amiss because all of the celebrities were terrible, terrible people, and thus none of them got saved. The timing of that joke, with all the madness on the streets, their panicked dash for the house, and the reveal as they opened the door, was just great.

Though, to be fair, I've never really been into Rogen and the Appatow crew. I suspect the movie was a lot funnier for people who were bigger fans of the movies most of these actors had starred in.

Fakefaux on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Michael Cera was my favorite part of This is the End. Every scene with him, except his last, was comedy gold. Mostly due to the stark contrast with the characters he normally plays.

EH28YFo.jpg
    I find that Super Troopers is one of those movies like American Pie.

If you didn't see it at the right age / mindset (teen / twenties, or stoner, mostly) you just aren't going to find it that funny. Sure, there are a few decent laughs and jokes, but a lot of it is sort of geared to a particular audience.

I laughed my ASS off at that movie when I was ~20 and stoned in college. When I tried watching it with my wife a few years ago, I was kind of embarrassed for saying it was hilarious and we ended up turning it off after about a half hour. It just didn't hold up well.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Michael Cera was the bestest part of This is the End.

Movie was over the top hilarious. Loved it. But Michael Cera... my gods he played that part so awesomely well.

zagdrob wrote: »

If you didn't see it at the right age / mindset (teen / twenties, or stoner, mostly) you just aren't going to find it that funny. Sure, there are a few decent laughs and jokes, but a lot of it is sort of geared to a particular audience.

I laughed my ASS off at that movie when I was ~20 and stoned in college. When I tried watching it with my wife a few years ago, I was kind of embarrassed for saying it was hilarious and we ended up turning it off after about a half hour. It just didn't hold up well.

I'm pretty sure the important bit there is "stoned."

Super Troopers does have one legitimately hilarious scene (the meow scene) but the rest of the movie isn't worth wasting your time on.

Oh god, I just remembered I watched Major Payne on the same day I saw Super Troopers. I have wasted my life.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I could see a "sequel" of what's going on elsewhere with the cast of Bridesmaids. I would totally watch that.

I am basically up for any of these groups of hilarious people riffing off each other for two hours.

Also,
    the bit between McBride and Franco about jizzing everywhere had me fucking crying. Like, couldn't-breathe-wracked-with-laughter crying. Holy fuck.

I saw this movie today and that was totally me. The ONE other dude in the theater was stone faced.

No shame.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the important bit there is "stoned."

Super Troopers does have one legitimately hilarious scene (the meow scene) but the rest of the movie isn't worth wasting your time on.

Oh god, I just remembered I watched Major Payne on the same day I saw Super Troopers. I have wasted my life.

Man, I was never a stoner, but Super Troopers is still hilarious.

Maybe I just am not good at having a sense of humor, but so much is great in that movie.

To each their own I guess.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I love Super Troopers.

Littering and?

DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Michael Cera was the bestest part of This is the End.

Movie was over the top hilarious. Loved it. But Michael Cera... my gods he played that part so awesomely well.

He reminded me of Neil Patrick Harris in the Harold and Kumar movies.

Except not quite so much, because NPH is wonderful in everything ever. He even managed to make Smurfs not-unbearable at times.

This discussion has been closed.