As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm shocked, shocked to find that [Movies] are going on in here!

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Watching the very first scene where they pull over the stoners reminds me of fear and loathing in las vegas, where instead of the general high feeling F&L gives me, Super Troopers gives that euphoric high sensation.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Watched V/H/S/2 last night. They somehow managed to make the framing story worse than the original but overall the shorts were much improved this time around. The one the director of The Raid did was fucking phenomenal. Also
    Zombie POV short was hilarious and surprisingly unique given how tired the zombie genre is right now.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm watching Dark Shadows right now.

It's... Actually pretty amusing. Great music.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I saw Kings of Summer a couple days ago. I liked about 75% of it, I thought it pulled off the halcyon days of youth vibe pretty well, but it wrapped up poorly.
    I thought Joe got off too easily. He received no comeuppance whatsoever for being such a petulant asshole towards Patrick and Kelly. He didn't even apologize to either of them. I mean, I understand that this is a movie about teenagers and teens are prone to jealousy and saying and doing horrible things to each other because hormones, but it became a lot harder to root for Joe when it seemed like he didn't really have to account for his shitty actions at all.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • corinoscorinos Registered User regular
    Anyone watch Pain and Gain? I thought it was pretty awesome. The Rock did a great job, and I just think they nailed the whole "If we think we deserve it, we'll do what we have to to get it, in a bad way" vibe.

Like board games, card games, community involvement and a free meal after school for your kids? Check out this fantastic after school program everyone should know about:

www.thegameloft.org
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Just caught Looper on the free HBO / Starz weekend. Wanted to see it in the theater, but missed it.
    Pretty mediocre. Had a decent concept with the time travel, and even the setting, but didn't really seem to want to really use any of it. A whole lot of nothing in between a few plot points.

Definitely some attitude / mood whiplash with some of the scenes. The widespread crime / vagrancy and other issues, but then people didn't have bars on their window, latchkey kids, all that stuff? Didn't seem to fit together.

And holy shit, having Bruce Willis murdering little kids? The story is basically like someone watched 'The Terminator', and thought it wasn't edgy enough. That's not cool.

Got a few others that we grabbed on the DVR - Moneyball, 21 Jumpstreet, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Running Man (always worth watching), J. Edgar, so I'll be catching up on some of my movie watchin'.

re: Bruce Willis and the kids
    I thought that was really well done actually.

They managed to show how hard it was for him to actually go through with it with the first one, and that after that he was fully committed.

It made the last scene a lot more menacing since you knew that he would go through with it, and that killing him(self) was the only way to stop him(self)

While there was definitely issues with the story, the characterizations was pretty good imo, and certain scenes were gold.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Oh my god vampire Johnny Depp reciting the lyrics of Joker and then smoking with hippies this movie is gold.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Has anyone seen the Spanish version of Dracula (the Bela Lugosi movie)?

I haven't seen either, but according to this tumblr blog post thing, the Spanish crew had access to all of the sets from Dracula, as well as their dailies, and would try to beat the English crew by finding better angles, staging, etc. It sounds like they'd be hella interesting to watch side by side.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Oh my god vampire Johnny Depp reciting the lyrics of Joker and then smoking with hippies this movie is gold.

Which movie is that?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Just caught Looper on the free HBO / Starz weekend. Wanted to see it in the theater, but missed it.
    Pretty mediocre. Had a decent concept with the time travel, and even the setting, but didn't really seem to want to really use any of it. A whole lot of nothing in between a few plot points.

Definitely some attitude / mood whiplash with some of the scenes. The widespread crime / vagrancy and other issues, but then people didn't have bars on their window, latchkey kids, all that stuff? Didn't seem to fit together.

And holy shit, having Bruce Willis murdering little kids? The story is basically like someone watched 'The Terminator', and thought it wasn't edgy enough. That's not cool.

Got a few others that we grabbed on the DVR - Moneyball, 21 Jumpstreet, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Running Man (always worth watching), J. Edgar, so I'll be catching up on some of my movie watchin'.

re: Bruce Willis and the kids
    I thought that was really well done actually.

They managed to show how hard it was for him to actually go through with it with the first one, and that after that he was fully committed.

It made the last scene a lot more menacing since you knew that he would go through with it, and that killing him(self) was the only way to stop him(self)

While there was definitely issues with the story, the characterizations was pretty good imo, and certain scenes were gold.

Plus
    it wasn't just "hey look, Bruce Willis murdering kids! Pretty hard, eh?" It was part of the overall theme of the movie of Young Joe learning what it means to care about someone besides yourself; Old Joe's actions were all motivated by his desire to save his wife, no matter the cost (including his life, and the usual "no women, no kids" rule that movie assassins have).

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Ive never seen Casablanca. Does this make me a bad person?

Rewatching Super Troopers it blows my mind that the snozberries taste like snozberries guy is married to Christina Hendricks

Its probably the best Broken Lizard movie, although Club Dread might be good and I was too distracted by Farva not being a giant asshole to notice and Beer Fest has its moments.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    If you like good movies, you owe it to yourself to watch Casablanca. I would recommend making it into a date, even!

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I went into Casablanca expecting to be bored out of my mind and ended up loving it.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Ive never seen Casablanca. Does this make me a bad person?

Rewatching Super Troopers it blows my mind that the snozberries taste like snozberries guy is married to Christina Hendricks

Its probably the best Broken Lizard movie, although Club Dread might be good and I was too distracted by Farva not being a giant asshole to notice and Beer Fest has its moments.

Snozberries guy is a wizard.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Casablanca is just one of those perfect movies that I never tire of watching. I think I enjoy it more each time, actually. I mean, the bit with duel of the bands, where the French singers are played by real refugees from the war, crying real tears...

It's just a wonderful movie.

Fakefaux on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I went into Star Trek: Into Darkness expecting disappointment based on the harsh vibes buzzing around and... it was on par to the first one which I liked a lot? Weird, people are too picky and whiny these days. Now, I fully expect to be disappointed by Man of Steel, and I had some spoilers to know why too...

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I went into Star Trek: Into Darkness expecting disappointment based on the harsh vibes buzzing around and... it was on par to the first one which I liked a lot? Weird, people are too picky and whiny these days. Now, I fully expect to be disappointed by Man of Steel, and I had some spoilers to know why too...

Tons of people were singing Into Darkness's praises. Its all in who you listen to man.

Quire.jpg
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

There weren't that many people (at least on here) that actively disliked it.

Specific scenes/arcs, yes, but the general opinion I got was that most people liked it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It was alright but fuck Kurztman and Orci. The more I talked about the film with my friends the less I liked it, as we all slowly came to the realization that most of the movie is characters doing things because the plot requires them to do it to keep moving, rather than having actual motivations for them.

• Mondo BramptonMondo Brampton Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Except not quite so much, because NPH is wonderful in everything ever. He even managed to make Smurfs not-unbearable at times.

That's like a starving man who hasn't eaten for an entire month eating a cracker and proclaiming it to be the best damn tasting cracker in existence. It's not really the greatest cracker ever, it's just that he's been starving for an entire month and anything will taste amazing to him.

NPH was the cracker for that shit sandwich your kids dragged you to.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I can attest to the accuracy of your analogy. I went for an extended period in the hospital where I was not allowed to eat anything, and I just about cried when they allowed me to have some toast and white rice.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Speaking of NPH, they just announced he's taking the title role next spring in a Broadway production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

I don't really have words to explain how much I need to go there and see that.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Speaking of NPH, they just announced he's taking the title role next spring in a Broadway production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

I don't really have words to explain how much I need to go there and see that.

ahmagad

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I watched Lake of Fire this past weekend. I thought that it was very well put together (with a few jarring transitions), though I am quite curious as to its production history. It was released in 2006, but a lot of it seems to have been shot in the early to mid 90s. The black-and-white film across all those years mixes together surprisingly well.

• tox05tox05 Registered User regular
    I remember asking my then girlfriend what her favourite film was and after some consideration she said, "Probably Final Destination". I must have laughed for five minutes. She was talking about the original, by the way. She was a nice gal but not especially intellectual. She said that it's the sort of film that you think about what you would do in the character's situation. It's true that Final Destination is more clever than most horror films and you do think about what you would do in the situations. But best film ever? Probably not. My answer was Easy Rider.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I watched Amadeus the other day.

Whoever did the soundtrack is pretty good.

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    It's hard for me to rank films. I have a list of things that I don't mind seeing again and again, and that have stuck with me (Stranger Than Fiction, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Moon, Spirited Away, The Truman Show, Mulholland Drive, The Shawshank Redemption off the top of my head) but... I don't know about favorites. My feelings change over time and while I consider each of those to be endlessly watchable, I appreciate all those movies for slightly different things.

Some things I have no desire to see again, even as I enjoyed them the one time that I saw them (Zero Dark Thirty). Others, like Match Point, I was strangely bored as I watched it, hated it after I saw it, and then grew more enamored with as I thought about it. I still don't want to see it again.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    tox05 wrote: »
    I remember asking my then girlfriend what her favourite film was and after some consideration she said, "Probably Final Destination". I must have laughed for five minutes. She was talking about the original, by the way. She was a nice gal but not especially intellectual. She said that it's the sort of film that you think about what you would do in the character's situation. It's true that Final Destination is more clever than most horror films and you do think about what you would do in the situations. But best film ever? Probably not. My answer was Easy Rider.

There is a very, very large difference between 'best ever' and 'favourite'. Laughing at someone for naming a favourite movie is pretty goose-y.

Also, could you clarifiy - are you naming Easy Rider 'best movie ever', or your 'favourite'? I kind of need to know so I can figure out how long to laugh for.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Taranis wrote: »

Which movie is that?

Dark Shadows. Its the only Tim Burton movie in decades that is entertaining.

Also, I really dug Man of Steel, and I hope they can get a sequel to iron out its kinks.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Man, favorite movie ever is easy; It's basically the one movie you have nothing bad to say about, no matter how old it is, no matter how many times you've seen it. Whether you can watch it whenever it's on without fail, how much you enjoy yourself while watching and so on.

For me; Ghostbusters. Couple of years ago I would have said the Matrix, but it was on TV about 2 years ago and I just lost interest half-way through.

Euphoriac on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Man, favorite movie ever is easy; It's basically the one movie you have nothing bad to say about, no matter how old it is, no matter how many times you've seen it. Whether you can watch it whenever it's on without fail, how much you enjoy yourself while watching and so on.

For me; Ghostbusters. Couple of years ago I would have said the Matrix, but it was on TV about 2 years ago and I just lost interest half-way through.

Favorite for me? I've got a couple. The Mummy, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Bros, The Happening, Showdown in Little Tokyo, 300 (for some reason, this movie gets me hyped beyond all measure).

Either movies that are so terrible they're good or movies that are just pure fun.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Went and saw Ghostbusters in the theater at a midnight showing this past weekend. It has to have been 15 years since my last viewing. Goddamn that's a great movie to watch with a crowd who have all seen it. I also watched Butter last night. NOT what I expected but a really solid cast.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    Here's a nice blog post from Bordwell and Thompson about David Koepp, screenwriter of Jurassic Park, Panic Room, and many other big movies, and an unassuming writer/director auteur in his own right (I'm personally pretty fond of the intimate Kevin Bacon ghost story, Stir of Echoes). It contains some neat close readings of some directorial choices from his movies, as well as this great advice from Brian De Palma: “For every shot, ask: What value does it yield?” A lot of current directors could do with taking that to heart.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Working through stuff that made it on the DVR in the free Starz / HBO weekend.

Last night was 21 Jumpstreet. Ended up crapping out and going to bed about 20? minutes before the end, but the first half of that movie was solidly funny. Stupid plot, but it goes without saying. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum just have a great chemistry and nail their roles perfectly, and I don't think I've actually laughed that much at a film in a while. There were a few points that were close to the 'penis drawings' montage in Superbad - I'm hard pressed to think of anything that is or could be funnier than that scene.

Definitely slowed down about halfway through though and fell back on a lot of standard tropes. Still, a decent comedy.

Not expecting too much from it, but looking forward to a decent close tonight.

I'd be hard pressed to have a 'favorite' movie. Back to the Future trilogy maybe? Matrix and Terminator 2 were for a while, but I don't know if I would actually want to watch them again. Just...hard to think of any movie that I like so much that if I ran into someone who hadn't seen it, I would be like 'you have to see this movie'. Aside from the obvious 'are you living under a rock' pop-culture monoliths like Star Wars or something, of course. Lately though my movie watching has been mostly Pixar, and I'm Nemoed / Cars / Monsters Inc'ed out.

Going to see Monsters U on Saturday with my daughter...her first big-screen movie...so I'm pretty excited at seeing her light up and enjoy it. The first movie was great, but it seems like Pixar has fallen off the past few years so my hopes aren't too high. We got my daughter a Monsters Inc / U storybook collection and I'm pretty sure it spoiled the plot; but at the same time, if that was the plot it's absolutely predictable anyway.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    It's been many years since I've seen The Mummy, but from what I remember it was hella fun. I think it's a far better movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I saw for the first time all the way through last week.

Spielberg and Ford did their best to elevate the material, but how did nobody notice that George Lucas was a terrible writer until modern times? Had I been capable of intelligently critiquing Raiders before seeing Episode I, I would have probably skipped on seeing it in theaters, and probably all of the prequel trilogy, for that matter.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Here's a nice blog post from Bordwell and Thompson about David Koepp, screenwriter of Jurassic Park, Panic Room, and many other big movies, and an unassuming writer/director auteur in his own right (I'm personally pretty fond of the intimate Kevin Bacon ghost story, Stir of Echoes). It contains some neat close readings of some directorial choices from his movies, as well as this great advice from Brian De Palma: “For every shot, ask: What value does it yield?” A lot of current directors could do with taking that to heart.

Stir of Echoes was probably never destined for greatness, but it's a shame it was overshadowed by The Sixth Sense. It's a pretty solid movie, and fairly creepy.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    It's been many years since I've seen The Mummy, but from what I remember it was hella fun. I think it's a far better movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I saw for the first time all the way through last week.

Spielberg and Ford did their best to elevate the material, but how did nobody notice that George Lucas was a terrible writer until modern times? Had I been capable of intelligently critiquing Raiders before seeing Episode I, I would have probably skipped on seeing it in theaters, and probably all of the prequel trilogy, for that matter.

Are you capable of intelligently critiquing Raiders now? It's usually held up as a paragon of filmmaking, including the screenplay, but I would be interested to hear the perspective of someone who only saw it for the first time recently.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

Hey now. Raiders is a damn fine movie. Though, in retrospect, it's probably because of Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the screenplay. Also notable for writing the screenplays for Empire and Jedi.

But, we've all known for a very long time now that Lucas is an idea man who needs good people around him to clean up and refine things.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rating The Mummy above Raiders is absolute insanity.

Saw knockabout Wannsee conference comedy Conspiracy yesterday for the first time. Horrifically chilling, especially with branagh's calm, lucid performance as Heydrich at the centre of things.

Closing captions that detail the fate of the attendees is blood-boilingly frustrating (Lived to a grand old age as a tax advisor/died of natural causes surrounded by loving family/elected President of Austria, etc).

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    My favorite movie is Elvira: Mistress of the Dark

I have watched it more times than any other movie, dozens of times in fact. It never gets old, and its always funny.

This discussion has been closed.