As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Console [Chat]

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Guy from work got on the bus, but he saw a friend of his and sat next to him instead. Small talk averted, I repeat, small talk averted.

emot-toot.gif

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Guy from work got on the bus, but he saw a friend of his and sat next to him instead. Small talk averted, I repeat, small talk averted.
    Your only option was to jump out the window.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Obama: wide open stance, open for aggressive attacks to his center line, right arm extended in a wide horisontal attack.

Putin: controlled, focused, playing his cards close to his body even with such a wide open opponent, prepared for hidden counter-attacks, left arm prepared for defense while striking with his right arm.

BRITAIN-G8-SUMMIT144020.JPG

Echo wrote: »
    Obama: wide open stance, open for aggressive attacks to his center line, right arm extended in a wide horisontal attack.

Putin: controlled, focused, playing his cards close to his body even with such a wide open opponent, prepared for hidden counter-attacks, left arm prepared for defense while striking with his right arm.

I have images turned off and totally thought you were talking about urinal stance.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

I have images turned off and totally thought you were talking about urinal stance.

I suppose it is a bit of a pissing contest.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

More like a dick waving contest.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Kagera wrote: »

More like a dick waving contest.
    Dropping the pretense would make politics much more interesting.

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    @BobCesca

I ran across some articles by this person (specifically about the NSA stuff) and wasn't immediately sure whether it was you or not.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    BBC world news is definitely the best news channel I have come across. I should see if I can get it when I am back in the UK.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Smasher wrote: »
    @BobCesca

I ran across some articles by this person (specifically about the NSA stuff) and wasn't immediately sure whether it was you or not.

No. Not me. My arch nemesis who probably hates that I keep using this user name everywhere.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    25 ft hdmi cable for $20 is one of the best things I ever bought

watching starcraft on a big screen is just so cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Coffee imbibed, much more awake now.

Liquor imbibed, much more drunk now.

Man if humans are going to be around for ten millions years we are gonna have to look into some long term city planning because I don't think LA is gonna survive the gradual shift north next to San Fran.

And all those Mediterranean ports are fuuuuuucked

Man if humans are going to be around for ten millions years we are gonna have to look into some long term city planning because I don't think LA is gonna survive the gradual shift north next to San Fran.

FUCK IT NOT OUR PROBLEM

FUCK IT NOT OUR PROBLEM
    Hey bitch I plan on becoming immortal this dying shit is for the birds.

FUCK IT NOT OUR PROBLEM
    Hey bitch I plan on becoming immortal this dying shit is for the birds.

FUCK IT NOT MY PROBLEM

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    more coffee.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    To preserve our precious stocks of finite resources, everyone needs to eat the person to their immediate left.

Bogart wrote: »
    To preserve our precious stocks of finite resources, everyone needs to eat the person to their immediate left.

Vaguely related: in last week's programming class I used the Josephus problem as an example.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    there are folders on this server called "do not move"

this is why people are awful

there are folders on this server called "do not move"

this is why people are awful

That sounds like someone has given up emailing people or telling them or pleading with them to not move the damn folders and just cut right to the chase.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    one of them is from 2006

i'd move it but I fear the wrath of sysadmins past

If this isn't a trivial problem in ten million years I'm going to be goddamn disappointed.
    You know, if I rise up as a zombie and become aware of the situation.

Vaguely related: in last week's programming class I used the Josephus problem as an example.
    I'm going to go ahead and steal credit for this.

Because bringing up a problem is clearly as difficult as coming up with a good solution to it.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    What is a good game to watch let's plays of. I've been watching Civ 5, which is nice because I know it and it's played by congenial soft-voiced nerds. The downside is that games take, like, 10 hours, and ain't nobody got that kinda time.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Because bringing up a problem is clearly as difficult as coming up with a good solution to it.

It is actually pretty important. The history of thought is a history of conjectures as much as it is a history of proofs.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    What is a good game to watch let's plays of. I've been watching Civ 5, which is nice because I know it and it's played by congenial soft-voiced nerds. The downside is that games take, like, 10 hours, and ain't nobody got that kinda time.

Scott Manly does really great Kerbal Space Program stuff.

Beaglerush does X-Com Ironman Impossible which is hilarious.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    one of them is from 2006

i'd move it but I fear the wrath of sysadmins past

Rename it "GONNA GET MOVED UNLESS YOU TELL ME WHY"

Give it a week, a month if you can

If no one responds? Fuck em, they didn't need it anymore.

If this isn't a trivial problem in ten million years I'm going to be goddamn disappointed.
    You know, if I rise up as a zombie and become aware of the situation.

It's going to be a problem. You're going to be disappointed. My thirty three years of existense has solidified my opinion as this.

Yeah, I'm terribad at coming up with meaningful examples that actually contain stuff you can relate to - you really need that in programming, since the programming itself is really abstract if you're new to it.

We had a very interesting discussion on how to treat a list as a circle and having it wrap around and start over from the beginning as you're counting through it.

The simplest solution uses Array#rotate to just rotate the array so the next guy to shove out of the list is first in the list, but I also showed how to actually make an array act as a circle, so if you have an array with five objects and look up position seven, it returns the second object.

It is actually pretty important. The history of thought is a history of conjectures as much as it is a history of proofs.
    On the one hand, true.

On the other hand, in this instance by "bringing up" I meant "reading about, implementing a poor solution for, then posting about".

I never really enjoy Let's Plays of video games, or at least have found very few that weren't horrible.

I like watching people play board games, though. The Shut Up And Sit Down series of Let's Plays are brilliant. The shorter games are just filmed and put straight up, but the longer ones are edited down to around half an hour of highlights and commentary. The recent Galaxy Trucker one is about 40 minutes of one or other player screaming in agony as their ship is destroyed by unhelpful aliens and meteors.

edited June 2013
    On the other hand, in this instance by "bringing up" I meant "reading about, implementing a poor solution for, then posting about".
    def josephus(size, steps = 3, survivors = 1)
      prisoners = (1..size).to_a

while prisoners.length > survivors
        prisoners.rotate!(steps-1).shift
      end

puts prisoners.sort
    end

Echo on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I have now been twnety years old for three hours.

I can't sleep.

I have no idea what I'm doing with my life.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    I never really enjoy Let's Plays of video games, or at least have found very few that weren't horrible.

I like this guy's Dark Souls LP. Calm and collected and not named Donglord420.

Quality is high in chat recommendations.

def josephus(size, steps = 3, survivors = 1)
      prisoners = (1..size).to_a

while prisoners.length > survivors
        prisoners.rotate!(steps-1).shift
      end

puts prisoners.sort
    end

Compared to my doubly-linked-list solution. :p

Understanding pointers and linked lists well enough to be able to implement them in a language that doesn't support pointers is a good thing.

Having that be my best rubyish solution to the problem, less so.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I have now been twnety years old for three hours.

I can't sleep.

I have no idea what I'm doing with my life.

Hah

Welcome to me

Except I'm twelve years older than you

Understanding pointers and linked lists well enough to be able to implement them in a language that doesn't support pointers is a good thing.

Having that be my best rubyish solution to the problem, less so.

My first solution was a bit more complex - I did an override on the array accessor so I could do a "real" rotation through it via the selector instead of using Array#rotate.

Same result, but not quite as elegant. Still really cool that you can do that in Ruby.

This discussion has been closed.