As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Console [Chat]

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Completely wiped my iMac and reinstalled a fresh version of Mountain lion. So far, it seems to be working ok.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Smasher wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    On the other hand, in this instance by "bringing up" I meant "reading about, implementing a poor solution for, then posting about".
    def josephus(size, steps = 3, survivors = 1)
      prisoners = (1..size).to_a

while prisoners.length > survivors
        prisoners.rotate!(steps-1).shift
      end

puts prisoners.sort
    end

Compared to my doubly-linked-list solution. :p

Understanding pointers and linked lists well enough to be able to implement them in a language that doesn't support pointers is a good thing.

Having that be my best rubyish solution to the problem, less so.
    I have never not gotten pointers. Once they were explained once I've been fine with them ever since.

I don't understand how people have problems with them.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i'm pretty ok with being a constant disappointment to my parents

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    What is a good game to watch let's plays of. I've been watching Civ 5, which is nice because I know it and it's played by congenial soft-voiced nerds. The downside is that games take, like, 10 hours, and ain't nobody got that kinda time.

I never really enjoy Let's Plays of video games, or at least have found very few that weren't horrible.

I like watching people play board games, though. The Shut Up And Sit Down series of Let's Plays are brilliant. The shorter games are just filmed and put straight up, but the longer ones are edited down to around half an hour of highlights and commentary. The recent Galaxy Trucker one is about 40 minutes of one or other player screaming in agony as their ship is destroyed by unhelpful aliens and meteors.

Also: I want either and/or both of the Shut Up and Sit Down guys to be my boyfriend and/or sex object.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have never not gotten pointers. Once they were explained once I've been fine with them ever since.

Most documentation is really shitty at showing what things are actually used for. This is how Wikipedia illustrates a pointer:
    int a = 5;
    int *ptr = NULL;

ptr = &a;

If I had no idea how they worked, that would tell me sweet fuckall. Give me a proper example without nondescript variables named "a" and they're a lot easier to get.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    Here's the Twilight Imperium III one (not on their new, shiny site, as it uses a whole lot of copyrighted music):

Bogart on
    What is a good game to watch let's plays of. I've been watching Civ 5, which is nice because I know it and it's played by congenial soft-voiced nerds. The downside is that games take, like, 10 hours, and ain't nobody got that kinda time.

I never really enjoy Let's Plays of video games, or at least have found very few that weren't horrible.

I like watching people play board games, though. The Shut Up And Sit Down series of Let's Plays are brilliant. The shorter games are just filmed and put straight up, but the longer ones are edited down to around half an hour of highlights and commentary. The recent Galaxy Trucker one is about 40 minutes of one or other player screaming in agony as their ship is destroyed by unhelpful aliens and meteors.

Also: I want either and/or both of the Shut Up and Sit Down guys to be my boyfriend and/or sex object.
    Went to school with one of those guys. I'll let them know at the next school reunion.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Most documentation is really shitty at showing what things are actually used for. This is how Wikipedia illustrates a pointer:
    int a = 5;
    int *ptr = NULL;

ptr = &a;

If I had no idea how they worked, that would tell me sweet fuckall. Give me a proper example without nondescript variables named "a" and they're a lot easier to get.
    Ok I totally understand how people have problems with them now.

Good god.

That's something I really try to illustrate in my programming class: I show not only how things work, but also what you'd want to use them for.

oh c naming conventions

Tav wrote: »
    oh c naming conventions

Fuck 'em.

Funny thing is that I work so much in higher-level languages that I only have a theoretical understanding of these "pointers" and "linked lists". 8->

That's something I really try to illustrate in my programming class: I show not only how things work, but also what you'd want to use them for.
    I think the first thing I was shown the use of a pointer for was returning something from a function. Second was a linked list.

Basically the K&R C programming language book.

oh c naming conventions

fckm

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    On the other hand, in this instance by "bringing up" I meant "reading about, implementing a poor solution for, then posting about".
    def josephus(size, steps = 3, survivors = 1)
      prisoners = (1..size).to_a

while prisoners.length > survivors
        prisoners.rotate!(steps-1).shift
      end

puts prisoners.sort
    end

Compared to my doubly-linked-list solution. :p

Understanding pointers and linked lists well enough to be able to implement them in a language that doesn't support pointers is a good thing.

Having that be my best rubyish solution to the problem, less so.

Same here, but given that some people have things like Dyscalculia it's hard to be sure how many people have physiological difficulties like that rather than having shitty teaching or whatever.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Went to school with one of those guys. I'll let them know at the next school reunion.

Tell them I can be very discrete and also that I give amazing head.

i put up on facebook that i'm doing standup tonight

someone who i've seen once in the last five months texted me to say that they weren't coming

um at this stage their not coming is pretty much a given and i'm not quite sure why they'd expect otherwise?

people are weird

someone who i've seen once in the last five months texted me to say that they weren't coming

um at this stage their not coming is pretty much a given and i'm not quite sure why they'd expect otherwise?

people are weird

I find it weird that (I don't know which it is) either 1) facebook auto-invites me to each of my 'friends' things or 2) someone I haven't seen in 5 years is hand-selecting me to let me know that they're hosting a silent auction in Baton Rouge.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Hello!

Nice day today. Had a driving lesson (second to last before I go try to get my license back - which... I'm getting soooomewhat nervous about now. Because it has been very long and driving with my parents has... been kinda counterproductive.)

Then went downtown and grabbed had coffee and cigarettes in the sun, watching (and eavesdropping on) the tourists around. A seagull dove in and stole a lady's bruscetta inbetweeen bites. Cheeky bastards.

Then went to the optician for some more contacts, a check because it's been a while, and most importantly, a piece of paper saying what kind of sight I got, just in case I'm gonna need that for the license.

The receptionist floored me. She was very, as we say, well lathed. Lovely summerly blouse and skirt, all classy and shit. Just really well dressed. Tan, long flowing locks of brown hair. Generally a super specimen, but when I got her attention I noticed she had the most stunning blue eyes. Especially striking since everything else suggested brown eyes. Just... damn. Damn.

ftOqU21.png

people are weird

I find it weird that (I don't know which it is) either 1) facebook auto-invites me to each of my 'friends' things or 2) someone I haven't seen in 5 years is hand-selecting me to let me know that they're hosting a silent auction in Baton Rouge.

there are scripts to select everyone from your friends list for inviting to events

that's how club nights and other such weekly spam work

Same here, but given that some people have things like Dyscalculia it's hard to be sure how many people have physiological difficulties like that rather than having shitty teaching or whatever.

I've had lots of interesting talks about this - I do a programming class for people with Asperger's/high-functioning autism.

Common knowledge about Asperger's says that they have a hard time dealing with abstract thoughts - but programming is pretty darn abstract at times.

It's also 100% logical, and if there's something autists tend to excel at, it's logic.

I did an SQL class once, and we bumped into a query that did the exact opposite of what we wanted. One guy, with autism a lot more severe than the others, glanced at it and quietly told us what to change to fix it.

He had no idea what it was called, but he saw and identified de Morgan's laws after reading the query a single time.

people are weird

"suggested arrangements" are facebook doing stuff

ftOqU21.png
    or whatever it is in english fb

ftOqU21.png
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    *groan*

Hello. It's one of those days again.

Pretty eyes are my favourite feature.

ftOqU21.png
    I've tried to find some other boardgame Let's Plays up to the same standard as SUASD and it's basically impossible (Tabletop, occasionally, aside).

There's a three hour one of some people playing the Game of Thrones boardgame I wanted to take a look at before I bought it to get an idea of how long it would play and so forth and my God it's tedious. Show by someone with parkinsons disease in a darkened room, no editing, only occasional blurry shots of the board because what the viewer wants is the sullen beardy type failing to explain the rules non-stop, immensely tedious chatter, etc.

Or the other GoT one where someone plays through a couple of rounds solo to show you how it works, which sounds great, until you get to the point about halfway through where his dog starts barking loudly in the background and never ever stops.

I know making videos is hard and they're free, but damn. Put some effort in, guys.

I've had lots of interesting talks about this - I do a programming class for people with Asperger's/high-functioning autism.

Common knowledge about Asperger's says that they have a hard time dealing with abstract thoughts - but programming is pretty darn abstract at times.

It's also 100% logical, and if there's something autists tend to excel at, it's logic.

I did an SQL class once, and we bumped into a query that did the exact opposite of what we wanted. One guy, with autism a lot more severe than the others, glanced at it and quietly told us what to change to fix it.

He had no idea what it was called, but he saw and identified de Morgan's laws after reading the query a single time.
    I have a feeling as you drift into the realm of data structures and their organisation, scope etc that the autists talents will start becoming less relevant. Still that is pretty cool.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I wish I was at home with my graphics editing stuff so I could make some pretty images for my game OP

boo hoo hoo boo

Abdhyius wrote: »

My list of favourite features is quite different.

I think you mean discreet, unless you wanted to emphasize that you can do it one at a time. :p

My list of favourite features is quite different.

BIG BOOTY BITCHES
    BIG, BIG BOOTY BITCHES

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just noticed I share my birthday with that guy from Questionable Content. Neat!

Oh brilliant

With a quick Google search I found a few pages suggesting similar thoughts about people with Aspergers having difficulties with abstract thoughts, but my initial impression is that it's more about having trouble with metaphorical thoughts than abstract ones. That would lead to the noted difficulties with being overly literal while still allowing for skill with programming.

It's 4:00 AM for me, so I'll check back in later if you have more thoughts on the subject. Feel free to @ me.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    pretty eyes are definitely the best feature

that said, i ain't lookin' at her eyes unless she has big ol' titties

since you're actually supposed to look at people's eyes, not being distracted gets hard sometimes

I can peripheral vision dem boobs all day and carry on conversation with ease

looking into some pretty eyes I will occasionally completely zone out and not catch a single word

ftOqU21.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I think you mean discreet, unless you wanted to emphasize that you can do it one at a time. :p

Yeah, that was the opposite of my meaning. I am totally open to blowing them both at once.

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

Both systems can coexist peacefully in our world. Isn't it great?

TIG

OL'

BITTIES

This discussion has been closed.