As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm shocked, shocked to find that [Movies] are going on in here!

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Favorite movie, eh? So hard to pick just one, but these are all endless rewatches for me:

Natural Born Killers/ Brick/ Battle Royale/ The Sandlot/ Stand By Me/ Fast Times at Ridgemont High/ American Graffiti/ Clerks/ Elephant/ Cowboy Bebop: The Movie/ Ghost in the Shell/ Ferris Bueller's Day Off/ Dark City

So I guess you could say I enjoy studies in ultra-violence and coming-of-age films.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Good lord more thunderstorms. I am not going to watch Big Trouble In Little China again. What are other favorite "well, it's really crappy outside" movies?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Fast & the Furious Tokyo Drift
    Sunny
    Caddyshack
    Clue
    Idiocracy

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Fast & the Furious Tokyo Drift
    Sunny
    Caddyshack
    Clue
    Idiocracy

One of these things is not like the others.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Best movie: Casablanca
    Favorite movie: Casablanca

That's an easy answer. By the end Casablanca I've laughed, I've cried, I've been angry, I've been at the edge of my seat, I've experienced the entire spectrum of human emotion by the time the credits roll and I feel great about it. It has a dynamite script, great set peices, is well-shot, and has some fantastic acting. I never fail to be amazed by this movie and its continuing legacy. People quote this movie today and don't even realize where it comes from. That is how ingrained it has become in our culture. If I did a breakdown by genre of my favorite movies, Casablanca would easily be at the top of so many of those still. I'll exclude it be fair to other films...

My favorite comedy, like so many other people of good taste in this thread, is Blazing Saddles. Biting social commentary alongside slapstick yucks, clever puns, hostile satire, with a healthy dose of dick jokes and fart jokes.

For drama I have to go with The Shawshank Redemption. Easily one of the most uplifting films ever made, and it does it without coming off as phoney or preachy.

Action/adventure has to go to Raiders of the Lost Ark - it comes so close to the legacy of Casablanca. It's fun, exciting, dramatic, and is a perfect example of what the genre should be.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    So, I get how everyone loves Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's fantastic. But where's the love for The Last Crusade?

Or is this like how Jedi is my favorite Star Wars film...

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    The best film I've ever seen is Seven Samurai. My favorite film is Sunshine. Yes, even the third act.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    So, I get how everyone loves Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's fantastic. But where's the love for The Last Crusade?

I love The Last Crusade. It would probably take Raiders spot on my lists if Raiders didn't exist.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    there's some magic in last crusade that strikes a chord with me. the relationship indie has with his father is not something that speaks to everyone but it had an impact on me and it's probably why i would rate that movie above raiders.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    My favorite movie of all time is unironically, Krull.

krull_ver2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndpV6qfQJVw

It's basically Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings.

Is it a bit cheesy? Sure. Does it have the most bland leading actor ever? Sure. Is it balls out awesome? Totally.

It probably helps that I fell in love with it as a kid. Also, ~25 year old Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I happened to watch The Mummy again last week. Of course, I thought it fell just on the wrong side of cheesy even when I first saw it, and that hasn't really changed. I never liked the comparisons to Indiana Jones because Jones was always this confident, competent anchor whom the events of the movie swirled around, and the villains somehow convince me they're serious in their villainy. I don't know if they were attempting the same with Fraser but he always acts overwhelmed, and Imhotep is a series of weightless special effects. And all the one liners sap whatever drama is left.

Also, the special effects suffer from being revolutionary-but-kinda-bad in the way that early CGI can be.

I should love that movie, but I don't! Perhaps I hate fun.

I think The Mummy is an attempt to recapture the feeling of Indiana Jones that doesn't quite work. It's been too long since I've seen the movie to remember exactly what doesn't quite click, but it doesn't quite make it.

I still think it's a fine movie though and probably one of the best of that style I can think since Last Crusade.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am confused by the fact that people are using the term "favorite musical" and yet not referring to Little Shop of Horrors.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My favorite movie would almost certainly be a Wes Anderson or Coen brothers movie. But which one to pick is torture.
    I know I like Life Aquatic a whole lot more than most people on the boat, it might be the most surreal (that boat set) but in some ways also the most human. Maybe Fargo would win.

The movies that resonated most with me are ultimately mostly the ones that came out around the time I got into movies, which was around 1994-2000.
    Outside of Coen/Anderson in that range: American History X, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, Leon, Memento, American Beauty (I swear this isn't about the word America), Heat, Pulp Fiction, la Haine.
    Other movies that I like a lot: Apocalypse Now, Das Leben Des Anderen, Eternal Sunshine, Dog Day Afternoon, Goodfellas.

Like what happens to most of us with music, over time I've found it harder to truely resonate with movies. In many ways I can respect the craft and the ideas more, but I don't get caught up in movies anymore.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I am confused by the fact that people are using the term "favorite musical" and yet not referring to Little Shop of Horrors.

Little Shop of Horrors is great... but Best Musical would have to go to South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

It really is insane that the guys who make freaking South Park released one of the best musicals of the last, like, 20 years. I mean, looking back now it seems less crazy. But at the time? I doubt many people thought they had it in them.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    My favorite film history goes something like The Shawshank Redemption, Donnie Darko, Taxi Driver, and then a long while when I didn't really have a top contender. Nowadays it would probably be Vertigo, or at least it was for a while.

At any given point I have maybe 100 movies that I hold in super high esteem and will generally rewatch given the chance or the inclination, and maybe about a dozen in pretty heavy rotation in the category of "movies I am looking forward to seeing again." Then I watch them 6 times in a year, get bored with them, and they sink down into the 100.

Thankfully, every year since I started paying attention to it gives me about 3 to 5 top 100 movies, which I think is a pretty good clip. Still, I did the math recently and realized that my deep and abiding respect for the heights of cinema is founded on, like, 200 movies (out of the 1500 or so I've seen). Somehow that seems odd to me.

I have similar feelings and Shawshank and Donnie Darko are definitely up in my top 5. I feel like Darko did just an amazing job of providing a lot of mystery without having obvious answers. My friends and I were able to spend quite a bit of time throwing around theories without feeling like the movie was complete bull shit and there was no real answer. I think that alone has made it stay near the top of my list for years even though I've seen it waaaay too many times.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    It's been many years since I've seen The Mummy, but from what I remember it was hella fun. I think it's a far better movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I saw for the first time all the way through last week.

Spielberg and Ford did their best to elevate the material, but how did nobody notice that George Lucas was a terrible writer until modern times? Had I been capable of intelligently critiquing Raiders before seeing Episode I, I would have probably skipped on seeing it in theaters, and probably all of the prequel trilogy, for that matter.

Are you capable of intelligently critiquing Raiders now? It's usually held up as a paragon of filmmaking, including the screenplay, but I would be interested to hear the perspective of someone who only saw it for the first time recently.

Well, I suppose that's for the rest of the thread to decide, but I'll give it a go.

Indiana Jones himself is a damn fine character, and one would think that just seeing him punch and shoot things and crack wise to a John Willaims score would be enough to satisfy anyone who doesn't hate fun. But seeing as how Indiana Jones is a trilogy that ended in '89, we may never know. Er, wait... is that right? I feel like I might be forgetting something... Oh well, I'm sure it's nothing.

In any case, I don't think Raiders succeeded perfectly at what it set out to do. You know how everyone knows that the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park makes no geographical sense but nobody cares because it's so masterfully crafted and engaging? Raiders didn't do that for me. There were too many moments where I was pulled out of the film and had to think "Wait... why is this happening?", and saying it's an homage to '50s pulp comics doesn't make it any more successful at being good storytelling.

The story lacked cohesion, and it's no coincidence that I compared it to The Phantom Menace in my previous post. Towards the end of the movie things were just happening because they needed to, not because they were informed by what had come previously. The Nazis had to kidnap Marion (again) and steal the Ark from Indiana (again) because the film really hadn't had a climax yet and I guess we needed to find out whether the Ark really is an ancient superweapon or not. Oh, and Indie, despite being an academic who states early on that he doesn't believe in superstition and who always gets out of trouble using a combination of his abnormally high competence and luck, uh... somehow knows that looking at what's in the Ark will melt your face (which was a really cool effect, by the way). The end. I guess.

There were plenty of fun moments that add character to the film, like the Nazi uniform not fitting Indie, or him actually taking measurements on the model city to figure out where to excavate, but there wasn't enough of a mystery surrounding the Ark to actually invest me in whether or not someone actually finds it and figures out what it does. What we find out about the Ark in the first twenty minutes of the film is all we ever learn about it because the rest of the movie is punching or shooting dudes who are established as nothing more than fodder in sequences that feel weightless and go on for just a tad bit too long.

So, the good: Ford's performance, the setting, and lots of minor instances that imbue the film with personality and make it memorable.

The not-so-good: action sequences that were not terribly engaging and bare bones plot and characterization.

I honestly can't think of anything else to put in those categories, as those are the biggest things I look for when determining whether I think a movie I see is "good" or "not so good." I had fun with Raiders, but came out of the theater a little disappointed, and don't really have a desire to see it again.

There is something deeply, fundamentally wrong with you.

I'm putting you on my list of "Forumers who I will not be shocked about when it comes out they kill hobos and eat their flesh".

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Why hasn't Hugh Jackman teamed up with Matt and Trey, they could do something like Boy From Oz 2, or Indigeridoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXcRfKkP0Q

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The South Park guys actually released at least 3 great musicals. SP:BLU, The Book of Mormon, and Team America: World Police.

As for Raiders of the Lost Ark, everyone needs to read Roger Ebert's review of the film.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Don't forget Cannibal, too. It's just that SP:BLU is the best of the lot (presumably, haven't seen BoM, though technically it is not a movie); great songs seamlessly integrated into the plot, clever and snappy writing, jokes witty and paced perfectly; it's a AAA production.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Favorite movie? Back to the Future Part III.

I'm going to watch Lethal Weapon II in a bit.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Favorite movie? Back to the Future Part III.

I'm going to watch Lethal Weapon II in a bit.

I have an irrational love of Back to the Future III. It's definitely way high on my list. Partly because of my love of all things BttF and partly because the train pushing the Delorean might be my favorite set piece ever.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's been many years since I've seen The Mummy, but from what I remember it was hella fun. I think it's a far better movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I saw for the first time all the way through last week.

Spielberg and Ford did their best to elevate the material, but how did nobody notice that George Lucas was a terrible writer until modern times? Had I been capable of intelligently critiquing Raiders before seeing Episode I, I would have probably skipped on seeing it in theaters, and probably all of the prequel trilogy, for that matter.

Are you capable of intelligently critiquing Raiders now? It's usually held up as a paragon of filmmaking, including the screenplay, but I would be interested to hear the perspective of someone who only saw it for the first time recently.

Well, I suppose that's for the rest of the thread to decide, but I'll give it a go.

Indiana Jones himself is a damn fine character, and one would think that just seeing him punch and shoot things and crack wise to a John Willaims score would be enough to satisfy anyone who doesn't hate fun. But seeing as how Indiana Jones is a trilogy that ended in '89, we may never know. Er, wait... is that right? I feel like I might be forgetting something... Oh well, I'm sure it's nothing.

In any case, I don't think Raiders succeeded perfectly at what it set out to do. You know how everyone knows that the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park makes no geographical sense but nobody cares because it's so masterfully crafted and engaging? Raiders didn't do that for me. There were too many moments where I was pulled out of the film and had to think "Wait... why is this happening?", and saying it's an homage to '50s pulp comics doesn't make it any more successful at being good storytelling.

The story lacked cohesion, and it's no coincidence that I compared it to The Phantom Menace in my previous post. Towards the end of the movie things were just happening because they needed to, not because they were informed by what had come previously. The Nazis had to kidnap Marion (again) and steal the Ark from Indiana (again) because the film really hadn't had a climax yet and I guess we needed to find out whether the Ark really is an ancient superweapon or not. Oh, and Indie, despite being an academic who states early on that he doesn't believe in superstition and who always gets out of trouble using a combination of his abnormally high competence and luck, uh... somehow knows that looking at what's in the Ark will melt your face (which was a really cool effect, by the way). The end. I guess.

There were plenty of fun moments that add character to the film, like the Nazi uniform not fitting Indie, or him actually taking measurements on the model city to figure out where to excavate, but there wasn't enough of a mystery surrounding the Ark to actually invest me in whether or not someone actually finds it and figures out what it does. What we find out about the Ark in the first twenty minutes of the film is all we ever learn about it because the rest of the movie is punching or shooting dudes who are established as nothing more than fodder in sequences that feel weightless and go on for just a tad bit too long.

So, the good: Ford's performance, the setting, and lots of minor instances that imbue the film with personality and make it memorable.

The not-so-good: action sequences that were not terribly engaging and bare bones plot and characterization.

I honestly can't think of anything else to put in those categories, as those are the biggest things I look for when determining whether I think a movie I see is "good" or "not so good." I had fun with Raiders, but came out of the theater a little disappointed, and don't really have a desire to see it again.

Geth, give Kthulhu a warning for being a bad person with wrong opinions, in hopes that he learns a valuable lesson.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Subject-@Kristmas Kthulhu will invent fiction it believes the interrogator desires. Data acquired will be invalid.
    Warned @Kristmas Kthulhu (0 points for 30 days) for "being a bad person with wrong opinions, in hopes that he learns a valuable lesson"

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Man of Steel thoughts

stuff I like
    - Cavill does a good job, as does Kevin Costner.

- I like the little origin story they did for Pete Ross in this one, and I kinda hope he shows up more in future installments

- The effects are solid, especially young Clark's x-ray vision freakout*, the superspeed effect (which seems to be an attempt to show what it would look like if someone was moving faster than the camera shutter, which is cool), and the Kryptonian gun effect, which seems kind of retro and really fresh all at the same time

- The crazy Alien-meets-Avatar Krypton (I love the "executive pin toy" screens)

- The funny bits ("I'm the guy they're lookin' for", "I guess you'll just have to trust me.", the lumber truck)

- Zod's address to the Earth is suitably terrifying

- Jor-El's hologram sort of belongs on both of these lists: I think it lessens the impact of his death at the beginning, but at the same time, I really like that scene of him guiding Lois out of Zod's ship

- BSG CAST SHOUTOUT: Helo and Gaeta, I see you

* dibs on this band name

stuff I don't like
    - Superman killing Zod/the final fight in Metropolis, especially that there's no discussion of this after the fact and all of the scenes afterwards are pretty upbeat.

- The Zod/Superman telepathy conversation thing isn't very well explained and confused the hell out of me initially

- The fight scenes feel like they go on forever, especially the Smallville one with Faora and Tall Kryptonian Guy.

- Speaking of which, what was Tall Kryptonian's purpose in that to begin with? Backup for Faora? It doesn't seem like she needs it.

- The origin story "natural birth" revision

- Why is Lois on the plane at the end? and other moments that feel like characters are just there because the script says so

I'll probably edit this in ten minutes when I remember other things, but the tl;dr is that I thought it was good but not great. I think if they tone down the fight stuff and have more quieter moments and levity next time, they'll have a solid Superman movie.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Oh man, you know what movie we've all forgotten?

Beatlejuice.
    Beetlejuice-squarheadere.jpg

Now that is a fantastic bit of film that can be watched by anyone, at any time.

Houn on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I actually always thought they were quite comparable. in both cases the first movie is less slapstick than the third, but the third is arguably more fun.

also in both cases I prefer the first. but last crusade is also really good.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I loved the fighting in Superman. Never felt like it dragged on to me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Oh man, you know what movie we've all forgotten?

Beatlejuice.
    Beetlejuice-squarheadere.jpg

Now that is a fantastic bit of film that can be watched by anyone, at any time.

We haven't forgotten Beetlejuice. We've been real careful about mentioning it, so we don't cause something that we might regret.

(I don't recall anything about it, but I remember enjoying the cartoon).

Betelgeuse loses points by being connected to Tim Burton though.

My five favorites, in order:

1. Casablanca
    2. The Good, The Bad, and The
    Ugly
    3. Miller's Crossing
    4. Kill Bill (counting part 1&2 as one movie)
    5. It's a Wonderful Life

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just because Tim Burton has gotten kind of tired doesn't mean his earlier stuff that was legitimately great is somehow tarnished.

Beatlejuice? Edward Scissorhands? These are very fine films.

-edit-

Not to mention Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, which was a surrealist masterpiece.

I'm also extremely partial to Batman Returns, because despite having a few shortcomings it had the best screen Catwoman hands down in Michelle Pfeiffer.

Regina Fong on
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    As far as more recent movies I love, I've always enjoyed Catch Me If You Can. It's infinitely rewatchable to me.

Also maybe DiCaprio's best performance?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The best live action Catwoman is Anne Hathaway. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking the only Tim Burton film I really enjoyed was probably Sleepy Hollow. I've never really been a fan of his whole creepy "thing."

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Not even close.

That's true. It's not close at all.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I' ma gonna remove my agree because of that Cat Woman thing...

But Nightmare Before Christmas is one of the best animated movies ever made.

knitdan wrote: »
    I'm thinking the only Tim Burton film I really enjoyed was probably Sleepy Hollow. I've never really been a fan of his whole creepy "thing."

Batman, Beetlejuice, and Nightmare Before Christmas wish to exchange words.

Not even close.

That's true. It's not close at all.

She was better than Berry.

I'll give her that. But Pfeiffer, Kitt, Newmar all > than Hathaway's Catwoman.

Unless you're just rating her on hotness, which is not what I am doing.

This discussion has been closed.