As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm shocked, shocked to find that [Movies] are going on in here!

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    only really a fan of Big Fish myself

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The best live action Catwoman is Anne Hathaway. :mrgreen:

Not even close.

That's true. It's not close at all.

She was better than Berry.

Heh.
    I'll give her that. But Pfeiffer, Kitt, Newmar all > than Hathaway's Catwoman.

Fair enough. I did like Newmar's, which was great for such a cornball show.
    Unless you're just rating her on hotness, which is not what I am doing.

I'm not.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ok I enjoyed Nightmare before Christmas.

But Burton Batman is not my cup of tea, and I don't like Beetlejuice.

Maybe I just don't like Michael Keaton. (Browser wanted to say Akhenaton)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Actually, according to science, The Godfather: Part II is the best movie ever.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Ok I enjoyed Nightmare before Christmas.

But Burton Batman is not my cup of tea, and I don't like Beetlejuice.

Maybe I just don't like Michael Keaton. (Browser wanted to say Akhenaton)

Both his true name, and the source of his acting prowess!

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I remember Hathaway as being really good in DKR up until she steals the car, at which point she just becomes average.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Nightmare Before Christmas is not a Tim Burton movie.

Its a Henry Selick movie.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Speaking of creepy, I'm getting tired of Johnny Depp. Somehow they built an entire film out of "Johnny Depp wants to wear the stupidest hat ever", starring some guy with an obvious joke name.

On the one hand, he was the bust Raul Duke we will ever see.

On the other hand, he's buddy buddy with a child rapists.

Yeah, seriously, fuck Johnny Depp. He has a few good movies but fuck him.

why fuck him?

he was/is a great actor who started doing a lot of big payday movies. I have trouble hating someone for that, although I have no interest in seeing most of what he's doing now.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Johnny Depp, Tim Burton's best film is Ed Wood.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Speaking of Johnny Depp, Tim Burton's best film is Ed Wood.

I always forget that one. very good.

Variable wrote: »
    why fuck him?

he was/is a great actor who started doing a lot of big payday movies. I have trouble hating someone for that, although I have no interest in seeing most of what he's doing now.

I like some of his movies. Shit, I love Fear and Loathing. But anyone who supports Roman Polanski is a true son of a fuck.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Oh man, favorite movie is hands down Big Trouble in Little China. It's got everything. I first watched that back in 86 or 87 and I've loved it every since. Never leaves my iPhone. There is always room for John Carpenter's BTiLC.

Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Variable wrote: »
    why fuck him?

I like some of his movies. Shit, I love Fear and Loathing. But anyone who supports Roman Polanski is a true son of a fuck.

oh I don't know anything about it and don't care

okay

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    What about movies you enjoy, but can't figure out why? Just those movies that when you see them on, you can easily just sit entranced even though they're so far out of the realm of what you normally watch that you just can't figure out why you even turned it on.

For me, this movie is Bottle Shock. Alan Rickman plays a snobby english wine connoisseur with a taste for french wines and a failing wine shop in England because he stocks mainly french wine. In an effort to drum up some publicity, he sets out to organize a wine tasting pitting traditional French Wines against the wines coming out of California. Most of the movie is him traveling to various vineyards trying to convince them to participate, and the winemakers worrying that they're being set up to be humiliated on a global stage. It ends with the big wine tasting, and the Californian wines handily beating the French wines to the shock of everyone.

I love watching this movie, but for the life of me, I don't know why. I don't drink wine, I know practically nothing about it or what makes a wine good or a wine bad. But for some reason, everytime I see this movie on, I watch it. It's got terrible reviews, a %49 on Rotten Tomatoes, a complete lack of space ships, explosions and exploding spaceships... and yet I always tune it in when it's on.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    During a television interview on 10 March 2011, Geimer blamed the media, reporters, the court, and the judge for causing "way more damage to [her] and her family than anything Roman Polanski has ever done," and stated that the judge was using her and a noted celebrity for his own personal gain from the media exposure.

I have trouble mustering the level of moral outrage that some people feel when those are the feelings of the victim.

edited June 2013
    During a television interview on 10 March 2011, Geimer blamed the media, reporters, the court, and the judge for causing "way more damage to [her] and her family than anything Roman Polanski has ever done," and stated that the judge was using her and a noted celebrity for his own personal gain from the media exposure.

I have trouble mustering the level of moral outrage that some people feel when those are the feelings of the victim.

I believe part of that comes from the fact that she was drugged into oblivion and doesn't remember the details of the rape.

All that damage to her and her family was caused by Polanski raping her and then fleeing the country to escape prosecution. The fact that he has been living freely in Europe for 30 years has kept the story alive.

It's not even comparable to regular statutory rape where the "victim" is a willing participant.

He drugged her, she passed out, and then he raped her.

Edit: That line was probably goosier than I intended.

knitdan on
    edited June 2013
    -edit-

nevermind, roman polanski is so far beneath my concern that he's not worth getting infracted over

Regina Fong on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Haven't seen a movie that caters directly to me more than Event horizon yet.
    It's a great, almost seamless, fusion between my two fave genres, (hard) scifi and horror; It's visuals are very well-crafted; Curiously high-profile and competent cast, and plenty of other little filmmaking details that just makes it thouroughly enjoyable.

Panda4You on
    I actually walked out of Event Horizon. I didn't know it was a horror film, thought I was going to see a science fiction film. Next thing you know people are all pulling their eyeballs out and shit. It was really graphic.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I love Super Troopers.

Littering and?

The bit after The Repeater where they cold-open on the guys stuck in the trailer with "...and that was the third time I got crabs," is the second-hardest I think I've laughed at a movie

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    We used to use shenanigans as a code word for finding explosives or other contraband in Iraq, back in 2005.

Edit: because of Super Troopers. Still a hilarious movie.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    When I got out of the navy I really wanted to apply to Highway Patrol, specifically so I could answer the question "So why do you want to join the CHP?"
    with "Well, I got a big kick outta Super Troopers..."

newSig.jpg
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I'm thinking the only Tim Burton film I really enjoyed was probably Sleepy Hollow. I've never really been a fan of his whole creepy "thing."

See, I love Burton's aesthetic sensibilities. They match my own, a lot of times. I rarely get tired of the way things look in his movies. The stupid stories? Yep, but most of the time I like the look. When he goes too crazy with the bright colors I start to lose it (Alice in Wonderland, mostly).

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The best live action Catwoman is Anne Hathaway. :mrgreen:

Not even close.

That's true. It's not close at all.

She was better than Berry.

I'll give her that. But Pfeiffer, Kitt, Newmar all > than Hathaway's Catwoman.

Unless you're just rating her on hotness, which is not what I am doing.

I just rewatched Rises today, I really like Hathaways catwoman. Way less campy, a little more realistic-adjacent cat burglar (The giant heels are just never going to be reasonable for fighting/sneaking). Pfeiffer though? Maybe hotter, and much campier. She fits perfectly in Burton's movie, but I don't think that she would have been quite as home in Nolan's universe. A little too weird.

EDIT - I should be clear though, I love both Batman Returns (probably my second favorite of all the Batman movies), and Pfeiffer. I also love Hathaway though. So I'm comfortable declaring it a tie.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Pfeiffer's Catwoman fits Burton's Batman universe well, just like Nicholson's Joker fits it well.

I'm just not interested in that universe at all.

I think Big Fish is the only Burton movie I really like. I've enjoyed some of his other stuff, but never felt the need to watch most of it again.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I intensely disliked Big Fish. Batman Returns, on the other hand, I love - it's at the point in Burton's career where his romantic goth cartoon style worked best for me. Later it turned into too much of a shtik, a copy of itself without any of the heart and panache. (Burton's first Batman doesn't do anything for me, on the other hand.)

Oh, and The Iron Lady is one of those films that doesn't deserve the tiniest bit of the acting talent in it. If the script were worth *anything*, I could accept Streep's performance as fantastic - since the script never makes any of the characters believable or interesting, the performance remains at the level of a really impressive impersonation.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Pfeiffer's Catwoman fits Burton's Batman universe well, just like Nicholson's Joker fits it well.

I'm just not interested in that universe at all.

I think Big Fish is the only Burton movie I really like. I've enjoyed some of his other stuff, but never felt the need to watch most of it again.

This.

They don't clash with the ascetic but the ascetic is awful.

Burton movies I've liked

ED Wood
    Big Fish
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Quire.jpg
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who feels the words "movie" and "film" have very different connotations? Like Movie = Independence Day, Film = Amélie.

I tend to use them interchangeably, mainly because otherwise it becomes very easy for a paragraph to become repetitive as hell. Blah blah blah movie blah blah blah blah movie blah movie (replace 'movie' with 'film' for the artsy equivalent).

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I've used them to differentiate before, but it's really not a good concept. I feel like it fosters wrong thinking on both sides of the divide, allowing the "film" people to look down on movies as popular trash and the "movie" people to look down on films as snooty, impenetrable [forbidden word] art.

And I think it lets "movies" off the hook for adhering to low expectations. Any movie should be judged more on whether it fulfills its intentions than what those intentions are; but too often the idea of, "it's just a movie, I'm not looking for Shakespeare here" means making allowances for shoddy execution. Independence Day is a fun movie, but it's also bloated, illogical, and cliched; to excuse it by saying "it's not a film, it's just a movie" is to forget that there are great fucking "movies" out there that deliver accessible fun through quality execution.

We'd do better to not be so divided, and instead talk about what each individual movie is trying to do, and how, and to what purpose or effect. Because fundamentally, both Amelie and Independence Day are trying to thrill, amuse and entertain us; they just approach the task in vastly different ways.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Raiders of the Lost Ark being a case in point (and discussed yesterday? the day before? in this thread). As a cinematic work it succeeds better than almost any other film I know at doing what it sets out to do and doing it pretty much to perfection.

It's definitely very similar to the (IMO fruitless) discussion of whether something is art or not. It makes much more sense to look at what any individual work sets out to do and whether it does it well. Bringing in an overly simplistic distinction between 'worthy' films and 'disposable but fun' movies' doesn't do either category any favours in the end.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Well, I know I'm pissed at Polanski because he got away scot free and isn't a single bit repentant about raping a thirteen year old.

I can forgive working with the guy, I mean, there could be lots of reasons for that. But defending him? Fuck that noise.

Anyway, with that tangent vented, my favorite movie for years has been and probably always will be Dr. Stangelove.

Perfect movie. Perfect cast, perfect music, perfect ending, perfect tone, perfect script.

Perfection.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    There is no difference between the two words in terms of what they mean, except that there is, because people use them differently. Think back - how often have you seen the 'A Film By X' compared to 'A Movie By X' credit?

(And how often has your mind flashed to the P word on seeing that credit?)

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Hurm.

Christoph Waltz worked with Polanski and praises him. Perhaps the man has changed in the forty years since. Perhaps he hasn't. Only one who knows is him, I suppose.
    You see I like Christoph Waltz a helluva lot more then I hate a man I've never met who's continents away and doesn't appear to have done any harm in forty years.

MORAL OUTRAGE RESCINDED

FOR NOW

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    I can forgive working with the guy, I mean, there could be lots of reasons for that. But defending him? Fuck that noise.

Regardless of what happened, I think it's safe to assume that if the topic did come up between the two of them, Polanski will have presented a much more defensible account of the story. Which is probably what Depp has based his opinion on.

Either way, I find any moral outrage on this matter both irrelevant and impotent... so I don't see why it matters.

In that case, putting aside the moral outrage factor: I do consider Chinatown pretty much perfect. It's by far my favourite neo-noir movie and it's got an amazing, if suicide-inducingly bleak, ending.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    It is pretty impotent, and so has rescinded to the dark abyss from whence it came.

The think I love about Kubrick is how adept he is at manipulating the emotions of the people watching the movie. Like the roller coaster of sympathy you feel for Alex deLarge in A Clockwork Orange. You hate him, then you feel sympathy for him, then more sympathy, and then you end up completley hating him again in the end when
    he breaks the Ludivigo Treatment.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Oh man, you know what movie we've all forgotten?

Beatlejuice.
    Beetlejuice-squarheadere.jpg

Now that is a fantastic bit of film that can be watched by anyone, at any time.

When I was a kid my mom would take my sister and me to a video rental store and she would let us each pick out a movie. I would always try to get something different (or a Ninja Turtles movie, or Temple of Doom. I think it was mostly Temple of Doom.), but not my sister. No, she always picked the same movie. Beetlejuice. Every. Fucking. Time. And it wasnt like she would watch it once and be done, oh no. Shed watch it once, twice a day until we had to return it. Its been at least 16 years since Ive seen Beetlejuice, and I just dont know if I could watch it again.

Okay, its been 16 years I think Im finally close to being able to see Beetlejuice again.
    beetlejuice.jpg

Shit, wrong one!

As for my favorite movie? The Terminator. I will watch that movie any time, any where, all someone has to do is ask.

This discussion has been closed.