As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Character concept deluge

2»

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Her eyes are a bit too unsettling, and look like something more from a weird kids cartoon rather than the rest of your more comic book stuff.

Also, her calves are way scary :O

Otherwise It's very good I guess is more of your style I'm pikcing on and not mistakes, but oh well.

Good stuff, I love the orc.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Her eyes are a bit too unsettling, and look like something more from a weird kids cartoon rather than the rest of your more comic book stuff.

Well, I did want to go for unsettling. Altough more like unsettling because she's totally bonkers.
    Also, her calves are way scary :O

Scary, too long? Scary, too fat? Help me out here. They look fine to me, but it's not like I can be trusted.

Anyway, more stuff. I'm trying out different pencils and drawing techniques to try and get some really good b & w sketches. I like the look of the 2nd one a lot, myself.

Dire Wolf & Dragon Hound concept sketch
    wolveses.gif

Guardian concept
    guardian.gif

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nice stuff Yak. One thing I'm noticing a bit in several of these is some inconsistency in the leg lengths and foot sizes etc. There seems to be several where one leg is longer than the other or the feet are different sizes/shapes (most evident in the first orc on this page) I'd keep an eye on that. Apart from that you're doing some really nice work.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    harun_kyrieharun_kyrie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wonder why that One-Armed Swordsman has so many swords.......

harun_kyrie on
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was going to say something about your Gruul picture since I get to see him every week when me and my guild kills him but you pretty much fixed everything I was going to say about it in your second picture. All I can say is that I don't like how you draw all your pictures with them just floating there. A little background couldn't hurt. Just like some dirt an a rock, I don't know, I just think it might add a little more to the picture if you could also like maybe see the environment they are in as well. Wolfs in a marsh, orcs in some mountainy stuff, fire dudes in a blasted waste land or maybe that isn't were you want them to be. For concepts I think were the concept lives should be reflected in the design.

Rant rant rant ... sorry.

I dig the art! :!:

EDIT: I forgot to put my example in and that was in your second picture of Gruul, were you put just a little bit of ground in and it added a lot to the picture imo. Not everyone knows you have to goto Bladesedge Mountain and in a cave to kill this dude and showing that gave just a little tip as to were he dwells.

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    @SPI - Thanks, I'll add that to the list of things to look out for for my next sketch.

@Harun_Kyrie - Well, the story is that he lost his arm in a duel, and ever since then he's been collecting blades from other duels and keeping them in a rocky, lifeless valley. Once he's got the place filled with swords, he'll use them in a rematch with the one who took his arm. (I totally just made all that up right now, but I'm gonna run with it).

@LittleMan - Your marklars are wise and true, LittleMan. From now on, no sketch will go without background elements included to enchance the concept.

Incidentally, my guild just downed Magtheridon, so coming up is some art of him. I'm trying out this new coloring technique I found online, starting off with a fully shaded grey image which is then colored later on (presumably with photoshop layer filters, I'm a bit hazy on that part. I'm learning as I go along.)

Pencils and flat BW colors:
    mags_01.gif

Shading thus far:
    mags_02.gif

I plan to add in a big background scene and lots of guildies screaming and dying. That'll go in once Mags is fully colored (can't decide whether to make him green or purple though...)

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Green ...

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yak that Mag. looks awesome man, can't wait to see it done.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ugh, been a while since I've done anything I'm not too ashamed to post. Here's a couple that have squeaked through.

fireclan.gif

For some reason I hate this one, but I think the armored guys are pretty cool. I've started coloring it, maybe I'll be able to finish it this time.

fearpack.gif

Featuring some more dragon-hound critters, plus their daddy.

fearoth.gif

And an up-close version of him, sans wings and with better armor.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It seems like being cross-eyed would interfere with, well, most basic stuff.

Otherwise I like the group pic there.

I can't really figure out how the rune wracked orc's left elbow is supposed to work.

NakedElf on