As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

sugoi'ed a man in [chat], just to watch him kawaii

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I've seen that legal s symbol a lot but I pour through legal codes a fair amount.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I've seen that legal s symbol a lot but I pour through legal codes a fair amount.

Hmmm. Codification is good and all, but there is a lot to be said for higgedly piggedly legislation and implied repeal too.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

There seem to be a decent number of legal professionals in chat.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not a legal professional, I've just had to look up stuff re: transness and the associated legal hurdles.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Ah, gotcha.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think it's partially a class thing. IIRC, sword fighting requires a lot of expensive equipment, and there is a perception that its really dangerous.

The West does have interest in its forms of unarmed combat though. Actual wrestling enjoys a lot of participation at the high school level, less so in college due to how schools chose to deal with Title IX. Boxing may be dying slowly, but you can still find a few gyms in most larger cities.

MMA's popularity has grown by leaps and bounds, and a lot of the fighting styles there come from boxing, wrestling, Brazilian jujitsu, and even savate from France.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Didn't win 25mil last night. :( On the bright side 30mil jackpot next week.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think it's partially a class thing. IIRC, sword fighting requires a lot of expensive equipment, and there is a perception that its really dangerous.

The West does have interest in its forms of unarmed combat though. Actual wrestling enjoys a lot of participation at the high school level, less so in college due to how schools chose to deal with Title IX. Boxing may be dying slowly, but you can still find a few gyms in most larger cities.

MMA's popularity has grown by leaps and bounds, and a lot of the fighting styles there come from boxing, wrestling, Brazilian jujitsu, and even savate from France.

That's a fair point.

Savate has some pretty wicked moves.

I had to look up the word because "that French thing with the kicking" sounded ignorant.

Huh, Sky has lost the rights to broadcasting soccer in NZ to an online service. THE WORLD IS OVER.

well I don't watch soccer to it doesn't effect me

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Huh, Sky has lost the rights to broadcasting soccer in NZ to an online service. THE WORLD IS OVER.

Our TV is exclusively for PS3/Raspbmc stuff, so anything broadcast-related news makes me pause and think, "Oh yeah... cable companies."

工事中
    I think that double ss is more of a US legal thing than a Commonwealth device

We would do something along the lines of dis

Criminal Attempts Act 1981, ss 1(1) and 4(3)

Weird. So I guess Sky/Fox have stopped just buying rights for Aus and NZ at the same time then.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Somedays I really wonder why the west has so disowned its own martial heritage but seems so interested in eastern martial arts.

Probably something something Orientalism.

Being at the forefront of military developments, due to fighting each other like seriously all the time, will do that

we abandon the old ways because they're useless

while others like say japan occasionally did the whole stagnation and "we're going to fight in this way because honor or whatever" thing

ftOqU21.png
    evilbob wrote: »

Weird. So I guess Sky/Fox have stopped just buying rights for Aus and NZ at the same time then.

Really? That is interesting. The NZ radio interviewed the winning CEO and he wasn't prepared to spill any detail on what he spent. He did seem a little surprised that he won, although he kept denying he was. Makes more sense that Sky in effect gave up

edited June 2013

It's been ages since high school law but I feel like 80% of everything I wrote there was "jfr. § whatever" (or jfr. §§ whatever and whocares)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    Might have been due to Fox losing exclusive rights on some stuff in Australia maybe?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Huh, you're right. That's weird.

Why don't you?

§ is so much better for "paragraph" than ss

ftOqU21.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Somedays I really wonder why the west has so disowned its own martial heritage but seems so interested in eastern martial arts.

Being at the forefront of military developments, due to fighting each other like seriously all the time, will do that

while others like say japan occasionally did the whole stagnation and "we're going to fight in this way because honor or whatever" thing

Japan stagnated but not because of honor. Japan stagnated, basically, because those in power benefited immensely from the country stagnating (ie, they would stay in power for good) and there wasn't outside influence to destabilize stuff, for a long time at least.

But that kind of misses my point. I am not curious as to why we abandoned our old ways. I am curious as to why we are not interested in our old ways as much as we seem to be interested in the old ways of say, Japan.

I hope Skysports NZ still do Wellington Phoenix home games though. Or at least Foxsports here still show them with the same Skysports commentators. They're delightfully charming in their blatant bias that they don't even bother trying to hide. So refreshing compared to the Aussie commentators who are equally biased towards their favourite teams but pretend to be impartial.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Huh, you're right. That's weird.

Why don't you?

§ is so much better for "paragraph" than ss

When you are the glorious COMMONWEALTH legal system you do things your way.

I'm not actually sure - maybe just part of the Plain English movement?

Maybe we just like the delicious shiver that occurs when you type "ss" that happens, inevitably, even when not referring directly to the Hiterlite private army?

Maybe we just like the delicious shiver that occurs when you type "ss" that happens, inevitably, even when not referring directly to the Hiterlite private army?

my time in youth politics cured me of that because after a while it would just have been silly to react to the central board being referred to as SS

ftOqU21.png
    It's just like fuck it we're Kiwis in New Zealand watching a Kiwi team play an Australian team. Of course we want the Kiwi team to win.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

I'm all for bringing back sports related to old timey fighting.

I want armed regattas to become a thing

volvo ocean race, now with 100% more broadsides

ftOqU21.png
    RAMMING SPEED!

fun fact: UK members of parliament are not allowed to wear armor while in parliament.

ftOqU21.png
    The greatest harpoonist of his era will be a hero to school children and young women alike

confession: volvo ocean race boats gets me really hot and bothered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl28enoYbGA

ftOqU21.png

my time in youth politics cured me of that because after a while it would just have been silly to react to the central board being referred to as SS

It might be the wrong image in Norway anyway. Here in the free world the SS are just booger men to scare young children and harpoonists

It might be the wrong image in Norway anyway. Here in the free world the SS are just booger men to scare young children and harpoonists

SS here most brings to mind Waffen SS and the business of the poor sods who were fools enough to join and get sent to the east front to die

or not die, but come home to a country they betrayed. C'est la vie.

since the SS weren't jackbooted thugs performing a coup, here. Just more soldiers.

ftOqU21.png
    edited June 2013
    not that sympathy for the frontkämpfer is all that common.

Because still, well, treason and all that.

Although I do remember the story of one resistance man - which got made into a rather shitty film - who posed as an NS (quisling and them) leader, and felt really godamned bad when he, through the speeches and shit his NS leader persona gave, convinced a couple of young local boys to join the Waffen SS, and regretted nothing in the war more than that. I'm of the belief that really, it was just a very unfortunate expression of being young and stupid.

(also, when the jig was up and he had to escape, the resistance men helping him were all "what the fuck? You were with us? We were ready to assassinate you, man!")

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    Hmm. Interesting. Any still alive?

We had the British Free Corps as an equivalent Waffen SS unit for Commonwealth troops but no one really knows much about them as I don't think many people joined

alright shit I need to go take my driving test.

Not feeling too confident but let's see.

ftOqU21.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    fun fact: UK members of parliament are not allowed to wear armor while in parliament.

roose-bolton.jpg

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    man that dark room game was dumb

sort of

i want my time back

steam_sig.png
    alright shit I need to go take my driving test.

Not feeling too confident but let's see.

Good luck. How hard can it be?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    ugh i have a head ache

fuck gendered marketing
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

Japan stagnated but not because of honor. Japan stagnated, basically, because those in power benefited immensely from the country stagnating (ie, they would stay in power for good) and there wasn't outside influence to destabilize stuff, for a long time at least.

But that kind of misses my point. I am not curious as to why we abandoned our old ways. I am curious as to why we are not interested in our old ways as much as we seem to be interested in the old ways of say, Japan.

Probably because they're (perceived as) old and lame, while Eastern martial arts were new and cool and exciting in America in the 80s/90s, and lots of kids wanted to do it. And yeah, the budget thing certainly helps, fencing is super expensive (and it's really not that fun to watch anyway), while stuff like karate, judo, or kung fu is relatively cheap in comparison.

But it seems like kind of a weird complaint to make these days, I mean wrestling has a waaay higher level of competition than any other martial arts in America, pankration was one of the formative inspirations behind MMA along with BJJ, both of which are gaining a lot of mainstream appeal. There's also stuff like Sambo in Russia, and other versions of martial arts all over the world.

And the US military's been adopting a ton of MMA stuff into their mixed combatives classes, and plenty of soldiers seem to be leaving the military and continuing with martial arts classes, I know a couple personally and it seems to be pretty common. Really at this point most of the popular martial arts are seem to be the actually useful ones, and it's more about self-defense and discipline than ki strikes or the secrets of the orient.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.