As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Enrichment] Still Life

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2015 in Art Assignments and Resources
Still Life
>>Enrichment Directory<<
still_life_apples.jpg

This monthly enrichment is super simple. Get some crap from around your living space, Put it on a surface, light it, draw it. This has some of the benefits of simple shape studies, but with the added challenge of color, varied forms, texture, and space. You can spend how ever long you want on this, but it will feel good and benefit you more to spend some time focusing on accuracy. Don't rush, focus on thinking critically about form and space and transferring that to your 2D surface. Not a lot to say, doing a still life speaks for itself.

This month includes all media, you can do com positional studies/color studies, so long as its of objects right in front of your face.

You may choose to work on some, or all of the following:

-Draw a damn still life. Thats it.

And some inspiration for you:
still-life-with-bottle-and-apple-basket-1894.jpg!Blog.jpg
not-identified-1.jpg!Blog.jpg

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/Paintings-By-Genre/still-life

Iruka on

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Can we draw something other than fruit?

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    .....what have you got against fruit

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    A few bad apples killed my parents....

I actually already did a still life last night! Ill post it up later today....It was.......eye opening. I got to draw from life more. Im planning on keeping the still life up this whole month and trying to do like 2 a week of the same one from different angles.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    I started a still life at school. It's going to be a black and white painting, but right now I'm doing a drawing to transfer.

So far:

stilllifedrawing.jpg

Shot of my set-up:

stillliferef.jpg

stillife1_zps794615a5.jpg

pipe_zps4586bae0.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @NakedZergling, it looks like you got a better mindset on this one than the earlier one. The first one seemed like you were really fighting your blocky, chunky nature, and the later looks like you broke free to actually observe. In your thread you say its taking a long time, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Perhaps its a sign that this sort of study needs to be a more regular habit.

Keep forcing yourself to look, it helps you see your own bad and familiar habits.

Totally agree! Thanks for the crit!!

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Worked more on the drawing, gonna start painting it next week:

stilllifedrawing2.jpg

• shelbiesshelbies Troublemaker TexasRegistered User new member
    Funny thing this is the monthly enrichment. I just finished this not too long ago. All ballpoint pen and it nearly killed me.

71410_3730496959507_573241162_n.jpg

si te plait pas encore
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I tried a few times, but hings keep messing up my still life set up!

mzTNtct.jpg

DmuceLI.jpg

3MzHMZB.jpg

These are too big for my scanner, sorry about the shitty photos.

• Rolling BirdRolling Bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I know June just ended, but here's my WIP piece. I'm having trouble with a lot of the smaller details, but I'll keep at it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/4163/b1ll.jpg

Iruka on
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I drew a thing. A little high school art show looking I think, but at least I sat down and did one.

tumblr_mphry5yMas1s9cildo1_1280.jpg