As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

sugoi'ed a man in [chat], just to watch him kawaii

19495969798100»

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The only time I've had my cisgendered status used against me was when oh wait never.

Privilege FTW

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I thought he apologized for that one.

ah

that's cool then, everyone says stuff they regret sometimes

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    "cisgendered" is a neologism I like

There's a word for "not of color", there's a word for "not female", there's a word for "not gay", but there wasn't a word for "not transgendered". And now there is. There was a gap and now there isn't.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Tangential curiosity from the previous issue:

I had never heard this "cis" term before. I've seen the acronym, but applied to a wide variety of things, none of them gender.

I have two questions about it now. First, how the hell am I supposed to pronounce it? Kiss? Siss? C.I.S.? K-eye-ss? S-eye-ss? None of them sound like real words, and it's throwing me. Second, where/when did this originate? I'd like to think I don't live in a dark cave, but this is bewilderingly new to me. Some folks are acting like this is a regular term, with common use. I don't think it is, and I'm intensely curious about it's origins.
    cis is pronounced siss
    it is latin for same
    trans is latin for opposite

cis and trans isomers are stereoisomers in chemistry

fig2_14.gif

Stop othering those isomers, Fuzzy

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I would never want to go back home, but I miss coming home to Neville and Sasha who would both give me love

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Cisgendered is a clinical term
    Really?

I had a look at it earlier, and it looks more like is was coined by a transsexual academic?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Also I bought some kind of device I'm supposed to use while sleepy to help get rid of my bunion. I have doubts as to its efficacy.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

I had never heard this "cis" term before. I've seen the acronym, but applied to a wide variety of things, none of them gender.

I have two questions about it now. First, how the hell am I supposed to pronounce it? Kiss? Siss? C.I.S.? K-eye-ss? S-eye-ss? None of them sound like real words, and it's throwing me. Second, where/when did this originate? I'd like to think I don't live in a dark cave, but this is bewilderingly new to me. Some folks are acting like this is a regular term, with common use. I don't think it is, and I'm intensely curious about it's origins.

Pronounced siss

I don't know when it originated in this context, but it's just a Lating root, the acronym for trans. You might've heard the word Cisalpine, before (as opposed to Transalpine)? The prefix is also used in chemistry.

Ah, never really pursued chemistry past the basics needed for a degree. So that would explain why I've never heard it (although Cisalpine, when pronounced "siss" is a word I've heard).

Personally I think it's very strange. If you wanna be called a woman, I'll call you a woman, if you wanna be called a man, I'll call you a man. If you wanna tell me your transgendered, I'll nod and smile. I don't particularly care what kind of junk you have in your naughty place, and I don't think anyone else should care either. Gender is so intensely personal, making a big to-do about other's gender just seems like such a silly battle.

But that's just me.

Anon the Felon on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

cis is pronounced siss
    it is latin for same
    trans is latin for opposite

cis and trans isomers are stereoisomers in chemistry

fig2_14.gif

Stop othering those isomers, Fuzzy
    IF THEY WOULD BE TAUTOMERS LIKE NORMAL ISOMERS THEN WE WOULDNT HAVE THIS PROBLEM
    PICKING ONE ISOMER OVER THE OTHER IS A CHOICE

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I thought he apologized for that one.

ah

that's cool then, everyone says stuff they regret sometimes
    oh apparently he is just going to ratchet it back up again

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I think Tube and mods deserve the benefit of us not talking about Gabe's twitter whatever is going on with that I don't want it to be giving the mods a headache over it.

Gabe is just an example of many of the kinds of people that are still in need of being informed of evolving mores and such.

it is pretty sad to see him saying stuff that would get him infracted on his own forum if he were anyone else

im not going to say anything as hysterical as calling him transphobic but he's certainly straddling the borders of goosyness there

He's not posting it on the forums so how does it matter?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I've always pronounced it "sis." I am pretty sure it 's correct.

Someone here had posted the story of how the term drifted into gender use, I want to say from chemistry? Hmm.

How common the term is just depends on social circles, I think. For a lot of people it is probably not a commonly-used term but I think that awareness is generally rising over time for trans and general gender issues and it's a useful term to have.

To Wikipedia!

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I would never want to go back home, but I miss coming home to Neville and Sasha who would both give me love

A montage:
    Cass grits her teeth in determination.
    The laptop slams shut.
    Lacing black boots.
    A grappling hook sails through the cold night.
    Sasha and Neville: mrrow?
    Back at the apartment, the cat carrier opens.
    Scritchy scratch
    Purr
    Cass's pupils dilate
    Requiem for a Dream:whistle:

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I've read okcupid profiles that said not to bother messaging them if you were a cisgendered male. This is the closest I've ever come to having being cisgendered used against me.

This basically seems like they're stating their orientation in a strange way

I am too slow, like a fuel efficient economy sedan

emnmnme wrote: »
    I think Tube and mods deserve the benefit of us not talking about Gabe's twitter whatever is going on with that I don't want it to be giving the mods a headache over it.

Gabe is just an example of many of the kinds of people that are still in need of being informed of evolving mores and such.

it is pretty sad to see him saying stuff that would get him infracted on his own forum if he were anyone else

im not going to say anything as hysterical as calling him transphobic but he's certainly straddling the borders of goosyness there

Would it matter? If Gabe were 100% super transphobic, homophobic, racist, sexist king of the bigots, would you stop posting here even though he never does?

no, probably not because i like the people here

but this site is a pretty nice corner of the internet in that the mod staff and the users both try to make this place open to everyone, it would be a shame to put a dent in that rep

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Would it matter? If Gabe were 100% super transphobic, homophobic, racist, sexist king of the bigots, would you stop posting here even though he never does?

but this site is a pretty nice corner of the internet in that the mod staff and the users both try to make this place open to everyone, it would be a shame to put a dent in that rep

You've stuck with the boards after Dickwolvesgate. No scandal involving the creators will shake you.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Texting with Leigh about the Leverage game I'm running her through this week. She's very excited about this. And that little voice is in my head saying "You should run another game." And I'm telling it no. And it keeps saying I should run another game. And I keep telling it no. And then it says I should run a game of Shadowrun....and I say no.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I read a theory somewhere about Toy Story 3 being loaded with analogies for different afterlife scenarios.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

You've stuck with the boards after Dickwolvesgate. No scandal involving the creators will shake you.

As cis scum, I thought that was pretty much NBD on the side of the creators.

There were lots of obnoxious people defending them though.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Let's talk about my twitter instead

where I post things like

"The Jizzard of Oz: Swallow the Yellow Thick Load"

Thomamelas wrote: »
    Texting with Leigh about the Leverage game I'm running her through this week. She's very excited about this. And that little voice is in my head saying "You should run another game." And I'm telling it no. And it keeps saying I should run another game. And I keep telling it no. And then it says I should run a game of Shadowrun....and I say no.

Eff yeah leverage!

Geth give me next chat

actually i was one of the people who didn't give a fuck about that

the comic made me laugh

<<<< is a bad person

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Geth, don't give me the next [chat].

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @TL DR will create the new thread
    @Echo is backup

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I don't need another chaaaat threeeead :whistle:

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    goddamnit geth

This discussion has been closed.