As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA] GSP vacates WW title. Flyweight title fight tonight! Prelims 5PM/2PM ET/PT

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Well it looks like I became the new thread guy somehow. This is what you get. No cool op.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbmU8OPbVukfxTNsLkgQGOy9brSJue87lM5MEAMDTIqdF2dk39

steam_sig.png
DasUberEdward on

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    This doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but there should be some interesting fights.

steam_sig.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Is King Mo going to get knocked out again

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    Probably play it very safe. War machine picked up a TKO in the first round.

steam_sig.png
    Ref calls it early-ish against Bobalu in the 3rd round. He was stumbling on his feet.

steam_sig.png
    Bobalu pushes the ref after he calls the fight against him

steam_sig.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I just finished watching 161. I didn't care about missing the event live, and I see I was justified in that belief. Not a very good card. I thought Hendo won 29-28, but then I really don't like Rashad much at all. Nelson broke mentally for some reason, and very early on.

And what the fuck is this about Aldo fighting Zombie now!? What happened to Pettis? That was my god damn dream fight, I'm really disappointed that isn't happening.

mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Holy shit. King Mo just knocked Petruzelli out with a single punch on the ground. Went back to his wrestling. Took petruzeli down. Cleared the legs. One punch KO.

Just dove in and knocked him out.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    well mo certainly didnt get knocked out. but boy he certainly knocked seth out

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
    Probably play it very safe. War machine picked up a TKO in the first round.
    Safe = Punching your opponent's head off

Well he did take him down first to the credit of his gameplan.

steam_sig.png
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Here's a gif of the King Mo finish. An awesome punch right to the dome. The sniper shot of punches.

http://twitpic.com/cy4mmp

Also, Babalu apparently retired after losing last night.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/6/19/4446814/bellator-96-results-mo-lawal-quickly-stops-seth-petruzelli-babalu

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    mo was shogun to seth's overeem

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Heh, and here I was about to ask if anyone here watches Bellator. I just randomly happened to catch the end of Fight Master (which seems like a cross between Ultimate Fighter and The Voice), and watched the entire replay of the fight night that followed because tournaments are cool. All finishes, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. That inverted triangle in the bantamweight fight was great! It was quite a stark contrast to the total disappointment of 161. Has it always been this way and I’ve been missing out?

I tend to find that (for lack of a better word) minor league promotions often have more exciting cards. People are fighting to make it up to the UFC and they are often willing to put much more on the line. There's a big problem when job security is such a thing that winning by points becomes preferable to winning decisively. Well a problem for the fans anyway.

Also any thread title suggestions?

steam_sig.png
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    I think Jimmo's fight from last weekend's ufc card is a prime example of that. Even after the fight acknowledging that his fight sucked but he really needed a win.

edited June 2013
    B:L on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    woah hey there nsfw frame

So It Goes wrote: »
    woah hey there nsfw frame
    Lachanophobia is a helluva thing.

I wish I was Pat Barry's girlfriend.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I like how she responds like he does that all the time, which he probably does.

A news story wherein Jacob Volkmann is dumber than I ever thought possible.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jacob-Volkmann-Says-He-Blacked-Out-Had-Seizure-on-Day-Before-WSOF-3-Win-53411

You utterly stupid goose.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    Volkmann is probably my favourite fighter these days.

Why's that?

Comedy.

I was thinking about future matchups today and I had a thought.

Would you guys care at all if the UFC put on a rubber match between Wanderlei and Hendo? It doesn't really seem like there's much for either of them to do except put on interesting fights until they retire. I wonder if that's even an option either of them are open to.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    162 is a goddamn middle weight bonanza. It's incredible how long that division has been locked down.

Fuck off and die.
    Well, when the champ is dodging everyone it can get liked that.

Who are these contenders he keeps dodging?

Fuck off and die.
    Yeah. I've heard people say that Anderson ducks people at different times over the years, but they've never really given names when asked who they're talking about.

• [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I was thinking about future matchups today and I had a thought.

Would you guys care at all if the UFC put on a rubber match between Wanderlei and Hendo? It doesn't really seem like there's much for either of them to do except put on interesting fights until they retire. I wonder if that's even an option either of them are open to.

Nah. I'm all about preserving poor Wandy's brain at this point. That fight would just be a brain-damage inducing brawl for all involved.

mvaYcgc.jpg
    Well we keep talking about a stacked division and yet he's fighting has beens at 205. It took forever for Weidman to get his shot as Silva kept turning down that fight. That's fine now since after july 6th there will be a middleweight champ who will actually defend his title more than once a year.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Yeah. I've heard people say that Anderson ducks people at different times over the years, but they've never really given names when asked who they're talking about.
    Bones
    Gsp

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Bones is the only person it seems like Anderson doesn't want to fight, GSP doesn't want the Silva fight. Silva says he doesn't want to fight pretty much every MW contender prior to their fight but then always ends up doing it anyway, I think it's just him being an odd dude.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Machida
    Seagal

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited June 2013
    I don't really consider a guy to be "ducking" fights if they're out of his weight division. That's just silly. It's not Anderson's prerogative to fight every guy that might possibly line up to fight him between 170 and 205.

And he's ducking Weidman? How? Weidman has literally only been relevant for about a year. It didn't "take forever". He frankly just didn't deserve it. Who are his big wins? Mark Munoz and a kickboxing overweight Demian Maia? Whoopdy do. In what universe does that make him worthy of a title shot? What fight did he ever have that made it really look like Anderson Silva was in trouble? None.

He was supposed to fight Tim Boetsch last December (which was probably a title eliminator), but he got injured. Had he won, he'd probably still be booked for the fight he currently has. Really not sure what any of that has to do with Anderson.

Edit: Someone answer me this - Since Anderson has been champion, has there ever been someone who was considered a contender that he didn't fight?

Also, there has never been a year where Silva was champion that he defended the belt less than twice.

ChillyWilly on
  • Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    It looks like WAR MMA is streaming with a "Pay what you want" type deal.

nickdiazpromotions.com/war-mma-live-stream/

An interesting move from Diaz.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah Silva is one of those cases where he so thoroughly dominates anyone he goes up against that it's easy to look back and go, "Psh, look, he was just fighting scrubs!" But they really weren't, he's just that much better.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I kinda feel Weidman is rushing into this. Long lay off, hasn't been in a fight where things didn't go his way. One thing we know about Silva is that he's not afraid to be boring as fuck to the frustration of fans and opponents alike. That's like his ace in the hole.

Fuck off and die.