As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why i hate Batman

NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
My friend was asking me why i hate Batman so much, and after thinking hard about it, i realized i can't look past this.
So batman totally sucks. What causes most crime? Poverty. What cures poverty? Money. Money comes from jobs. Instead of paying 3.2 billion for his fucking bat wing/cave/car etc why doesn't he send Gotham kids to college? Why doesn't he beef up Arkham security? Those assholes break out every 10 minutes. But when he's not putting away super villains he's stopping muggers! BILLIONS spent to stop muggers. Maybe if Wayne created more jobs that paid well, people would be working and not mugging. Batman has been in Gotham for 60 years and the place is still a shit hole. Bruce, take your money and open 50 schools. Pay teachers a good salary, and send These kids to college. Crime will drop like a stone and Gotham would flourish. Then the city wouldn't need the batman. So basically he's just a selfish prick who wants to play dress up at the cost of thousands if not millions of lives.

I get that its a comic, but if he's so brilliant why would he not have thought of this???

Or is there a story arch that actually addresses this?
Im curious because otherwise Batman is just Batman, and his cause is total crap. Because he could solve it EASILY as bruce Wayne.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Zf4gA7E.gif

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I get that its a comic, but if he's so brilliant why would he not have thought of this???

All-ages super hero characters might not be for you.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    My friend was asking me why i hate Batman so much, and after thinking hard about it, i realized i can't look past this.
    So batman totally sucks. What causes most crime? Poverty. What cures poverty? Money. Money comes from jobs. Instead of paying 3.2 billion for his fucking bat wing/cave/car etc why doesn't he send Gotham kids to college? Why doesn't he beef up Arkham security? Those assholes break out every 10 minutes. But when he's not putting away super villains he's stopping muggers! BILLIONS spent to stop muggers. Maybe if Wayne created more jobs that paid well, people would be working and not mugging. Batman has been in Gotham for 60 years and the place is still a shit hole. Bruce, take your money and open 50 schools. Pay teachers a good salary, and send These kids to college. Crime will drop like a stone and Gotham would flourish. Then the city wouldn't need the batman. So basically he's just a selfish prick who wants to play dress up at the cost of thousands if not millions of lives.

Im curious because otherwise Batman is just Batman, and his cause is total crap. Because he could solve it EASILY as bruce Wayne.

He does think about it and address it constantly. I don't know why you would just decide he doesn't and then ask to be disproven.

Poverty is also not the only cause of crime. Batman fights the Mob.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Bruce Wayne's parents fought poverty, and still got killed by a mugger.

Bruce Wayne fights poverty as well, but poverty is not the only reason people commit crimes. Many people simply see crime as an occupation. He dresses up as the Batman to intimidate and deter those people from preying on the innocent, also to work out his own personal demons.

Basically this sounds to me like, "how dare he be rich? He should give up all his money to the poor people and crime would stop!"

When in reality it would just make him another poor person and crime would continue.

This is even goosier than people who hate Superman because "he can't be killed therefore he's boring."

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I know poverty isn't the ONLY reason people commit crime, but you don't see most people who have full time jobs and a family out committing crimes.
    It just seems odd to me that his character wants to make Gotham "better", and beating up muggers one at a time is not the way to do it.
    If im Bruce Wayne and i honestly want to clean up Gotham I...

1) Beef up Arkham, or make a new prison that villains can't break out if in 10 minutes.
    2) Build schools and hire good teachers.
    3) Provide full Scholarships for Students of Gotham.

This alone would clean up the Majority of the city...then he can dress up and beat up the muggers that remain.

I guess im just at that age where i realize that the major heroes for the big companies will NEVER really change. Well i realized that long ago..but i'm at the age where i WANT to see some cool changes. Its hard to get good writing out of a comic that has existed for so long knowing that at the end of the day there is going to be a Batman.

• Options
    And its not "how dare he be rich" But the idea is that Wayne isn't ABOUT the money, he's supposedly about making Gotham better. If that were really the case then he would focus on what he could change as BRUCE WAYNE and not as Batman. Spending his money to achieve his desired outcome shouldn't be a problem for the character if that what he truly wants.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm pretty sure Bruce Wayne funds Arkham already and contributes vast sums to charity, philanthropic organizations and education

Anyway, crime in the DCU isn't just gangbangers and thieves, it's also maniacs with lasers. Education grants won't stop Lex Luthor.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    also Bruce Wayne is a deeply psychologically damaged human being, compelled to punch people while wearing a bat costume because he conflates the murder of his parents with the problems afflicting all of greater metropolitan Gotham, and because he's tormented by the memory of being physically incapable of directly intervening

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's a comic book. It's the same reason why Flash or Superman doesn't just push a giant turbine and solve the world's energy problems.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I believe this will answer your question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Q0bMuvBME

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    You know why hate ice cream?...it just sits there being a desert when it could be meal if it had put any thought into what it wanted to do with its life.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Bruce Wayne funds Arkham already and contributes vast sums to charity, philanthropic organizations and education

Anyway, crime in the DCU isn't just gangbangers and thieves, it's also maniacs with lasers. Education grants won't stop Lex Luthor.

Have you seem how ridiculous student loan debt is these days? If that didn't drive people to a life of costumed crime, I don't know what would.

I mean, aside from traumatic childhoods and psychopathy and toxic waste and cosmic rays and stuff. But I'm sure paying off medical school* loans is, like, in the top ten.

*or clown college, if you're the Joker.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Bruce Wayne creates or maintains probably thousands of jobs in Gotham and gives away millions of dollars to philanthropic causes. All of this is made pretty clear in the various Batman media properties if you care to pay attention. However, this sort of stuff, while admirable, makes pretty dull subject matter for comic books.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm Batman

Lies, and I know because
    I'm Batman

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    No, I'm
    Batman Jones

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    I believe this will answer your question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Q0bMuvBME

I read the comments on this video, can someone come punch me in the brain now ?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    And its not "how dare he be rich" But the idea is that Wayne isn't ABOUT the money, he's supposedly about making Gotham better. If that were really the case then he would focus on what he could change as BRUCE WAYNE and not as Batman. Spending his money to achieve his desired outcome shouldn't be a problem for the character if that what he truly wants.
    Y'see, you're falling into the same issue as people who whine that Superman is a monster because while he selfishly takes ten minutes out of his day to take a nice, relaxed shit and play angry birds on his ipad, people all around the world are dying that he could be out there saving, or 'why doesn't superman end all war by showing up on a battlefield and telling both sides to be nice or he'll break all their toys, because how are tanks supposed to stop him?' It sounds like at this point something like Irredeemable might be more up your alley.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    1) Beef up Arkham, or make a new prison that villains can't break out if in 10 minutes.

Arkham Asylum is a mental hospital. Blackgate is the prison.

• Options
    I read the

I believe I've located your problem

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Legba wrote: »

Arkham Asylum is a mental hospital. Blackgate is the prison.
    There's also the idea that certain villains are book-sellers, so even though say... Joker's kill-count is well into the thousands and he clearly is never going to get better, there will never be a permanent solution to him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    2013-05-24-939crime.gif

• Options
    Y'see, you're falling into the same issue as people who whine that Superman is a monster because while he selfishly takes ten minutes out of his day to take a nice, relaxed shit and play angry birds on his ipad, people all around the world are dying that he could be out there saving, or 'why doesn't superman end all war by showing up on a battlefield and telling both sides to be nice or he'll break all their toys, because how are tanks supposed to stop him?' It sounds like at this point something like Irredeemable might be more up your alley.

Are there any other comics you guys could recommend that breaks from this type of "the hero will never actually die" type situation?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    2013-05-24-939crime.gif

BAWHAHA HA AHA HAHAHA AHA HAH AHA HAH AH A HHA!!!
    Damn this made my day. Thank you for sharing! Im glad i'm not the only person to think this!!

• Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    Good point.

Instead of dressing up like a bat and saving the world on a weekly basis, you know what he should do? Become president/CEO of the largest international corporation in the world, thereby providing jobs at all levels to tens of thousands of people worldwide (and all the associated benefits ), creating revenue to fund scholarships, furthering technological advances that improve quality of life, funding charities...

Oh. Wait.

Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, Bruce Wayne donates considerable amount of money to charities and education and all that fun stuff. The Wayne's have done that for years, and it'd be an insult to his parents memory if he didn't keep doing that. That doesn't automatically cure the world, though, as you'll recall what happened to his parents. Also Arkham Asylum is a psychiatric ward, not a prison. It's a failing of the legal system that supercriminals keep getting sent there instead of to Blackgate Prison, and short of bribing judges, there's nothing Wayne can really do about that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Bruce Wayne obviously has the intelligence, deviousness, and resources that if he wanted to try to attack the crime problem in Gotham by using "corruption for positive ends"...

(bribing judges so that they actually throw the book at villains, instead of slapping them on the rest or letting them off on technicalities or sending them to Arkham...that sort of thing)

...he could do it.

But it doesn't seem to be in his character. What Batman does is explicitly outside the legal system, but he's not willing to actually manipulate or interfere with the legal system itself. He does things that are extralegal but not things that are illegal (aside from vigilante-ism obviously, and he does this with the tacit consent if not outright approval of the legal authorities at this point).

Also, "Bruce Wayne out-crooks the crooks" would basically be the same story Marvel did with Daredevil that led into Shadowlands...

Gaslight on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

the hell?

alright. in the comics, Bruce Wayne is a well-known philanthropist. the Wayne Foundation supports a whole host of charitable and development things in the city of Gotham. it's an ongoing, underlying plot point.

other underlying plot points for modern Batman comics include 1) incredibly-corrupt government officials and police, and 2) supervillains.

i'm really unsure as to how throwing money makes these problems just "go away". in the real world, throwing money at problems without careful planning or forethought as to how the money gets spent is a horrible idea.

actually, what pisses me off about the whole underlying premise of this thread, aside from the weird critique about a fictional superhero (who actually does try to fight poverty through philanthropic efforts) is the notion that throwing money at a problem like poverty makes it go away like a puff of smoke.

no it does not. there is no "quick fix" to problems like poverty. and i agree with you, we need more and better-paid teachers, better infrastructure, better lots of things. but you have to be careful about how this is done, otherwise you just end up with wasted money and, sometimes, unscrupulous folks who take the money for their own personal gain. a lot of Batman's storylines involve precisely the problem of corruption.

so, what the hell, NakedZergling?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Also...just to say it out loud, you are aware that a comic about a guy who signs checks and attends ribbon cutting ceremonies might see a bit fewer buys than an awesome guy in a bat suit that throat punches psychotic clowns right?

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Why does King Penis of Fuck Mountain want a serious explanation of Batman?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    *reads op*.

The Joker is trying a different tactic apparently.... instead of a clown, hes now an internet troll.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    No, I'm
    Batman Jones

I actually own that issue

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    The Nolan movies sort of address this. The mob (and ras al ghul) are have got their fingers in everything in gotham, so theres no point in trying to throw money at anything until they're gone. Nolan batman doesn't really fight muggers.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I actually don't like Batman

but not because he makes no sense

of course he makes no sense

but it doesn't matter because; not real

• Options

the hell?

alright. in the comics, Bruce Wayne is a well-known philanthropist. the Wayne Foundation supports a whole host of charitable and development things in the city of Gotham. it's an ongoing, underlying plot point.

other underlying plot points for modern Batman comics include 1) incredibly-corrupt government officials and police, and 2) supervillains.

i'm really unsure as to how throwing money makes these problems just "go away". in the real world, throwing money at problems without careful planning or forethought as to how the money gets spent is a horrible idea.

actually, what pisses me off about the whole underlying premise of this thread, aside from the weird critique about a fictional superhero (who actually does try to fight poverty through philanthropic efforts) is the notion that throwing money at a problem like poverty makes it go away like a puff of smoke.

no it does not. there is no "quick fix" to problems like poverty. and i agree with you, we need more and better-paid teachers, better infrastructure, better lots of things. but you have to be careful about how this is done, otherwise you just end up with wasted money and, sometimes, unscrupulous folks who take the money for their own personal gain. a lot of Batman's storylines involve precisely the problem of corruption.

so, what the hell, NakedZergling?

I don't think it would POOF go away. I would take 10-15+ years, but he's been fighting as batman for 70 years? And Gotham is still shitty.
    I still think if Wayne focused his efforts as a philanthropist with the same tenacity and dedication that he does as Batman, then he could fix gotham.

Im not trying to get anyone to dislike Batman. Ive just never been a huge fan, and i think the Christopher Nolan series really killed the character for me. I just feel like he Batman for the sake of being Batman. And i think it's fun to analyze the character

• Options
    but he's been fighting as batman for 70 years?

No, he hasn't.

And i think it's fun to analyze the character

Yeah, but that's not really what you're doing.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    I don't think it would POOF go away. I would take 10-15+ years, but he's been fighting as batman for 70 years? And Gotham is still shitty.
    I still think if Wayne focused his efforts as a philanthropist with the same tenacity and dedication that he does as Batman, then he could fix gotham.

in the context of a comic, that wouldn't make an interesting story.

in the context of an actual real-world scenario, that's optimistic at best. one person can make a difference, but one person, no matter how wealthy, cannot change something as entrenched and insidious as poverty. it takes a collective effort for a city to tackle that. you have to convince people to work together. each person has to make small changes that hopefully end at a better result. and not every person will agree with one man's vision just because he has money to dole out.
    Im not trying to get anyone to dislike Batman. Ive just never been a huge fan, and i think the Christopher Nolan series really killed the character for me. I just feel like he Batman for the sake of being Batman. And i think it's fun to analyze the character

i think you missed the whole message of the Nolan films. the point was that anyone could be Batman. in the movies Wayne didn't realize it himself until the very end. the point was that anyone has the power to effect change, and that was important in the context of a city gripped by absolute corruption and submerged in economic recession and turmoil. i'm not saying you have to like the Nolan films, but i really think you missed the point that Bruce Wayne was figuring this out himself.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Also...just to say it out loud, you are aware that a comic about a guy who signs checks and attends ribbon cutting ceremonies might see a bit fewer buys than an awesome guy in a bat suit that throat punches psychotic clowns right?

All depends on the approach.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    but he's been fighting as batman for 70 years?

No, he hasn't.

And i think it's fun to analyze the character

Yeah, but that's not really what you're doing.

74 years.

And how do you figure. Why is it wrong to try to imagine a conclusion to the series?
    And i actually think it could be intersting (even as just a story arc) to see DC focus on WAYNE and have someone else take the mantle of Batman. Maybe he could do this BECAUSE he realizes he can make a better change to the city this way. I personally think that could be a really cool story, especially is you subscribe to the theory that "anyone can be the Batman".

• Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    You know, all of this is kind of explained in The Dark Knight.

He uses his power as both the billionaire playboy and the Bat to successfully battle the Mob, effectively shutting it out of Gotham entirely.

And then some psycho in clown makeup swoops in and bum-jumps the whole fucking thing.

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
This discussion has been closed.