As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Hookah Lounge

JadensmithJadensmith LurkerSurrey, BCRegistered User regular
Pre-PAX Hookah Lounge

Its time to smoke again. Before we go any further this will be at a Hookah Lounge. No outside substances tobacco, illegal, or otherwise. It will be an +18 event only. Sorry the Lounge rules not mine.

The When
2030 On Thursday August 29th 2013.

The Where
This year will be a new venue. It will take place at The Night Owl in Seattle.
nightowlhookah.com/index.html
This will show you price, maps, etc.
It is a bit of a walk so driving might be a better option; I know there is some interest already so this may be a nice place to catch-a-ride.

The Cost
Cover Charge is $5.50, that gives you a year membership so free if you are already a member. You will also need ID to prove your +18. Hookah will run around $20 for a regular bowl more for Premium. Refills are cheaper and we can all pitch in, so if you can only afford the cover charge we can lessen the cost for you while we are there. (see website in spoiler for full menu) There is no minimum ratio for people to Hookah so come out and chill even if you don't smoke. I can talk to the Lounge closer to the date about discounts once we get a better idea of numbers as well.

The Rest
This place has all kinds stuff to do but we will be bringing games as well. In the past Munchkin, Zombie Dice, MTG, DS, etc. have all been popular bring your favourite. I am very excited to do this again and I look forward to meeting you all again soon.

• CaptaimManiCaptaimMani Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    I am totally there. 100%. I have a membership at the Cobra Lounge.. haha. Oh well, what's one more.

• JadensmithJadensmith Lurker Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    The fruit bowls really sell me on this place. They look amazing.

• MuffinOfDeathMuffinOfDeath Registered User regular
    I was at last years and am hella pumped for this, count me in probably +2 or +3

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'd definitely be there if I wasn't planning on going to the pub crawl :(

Yeah it's kinda one or the other :( . However it is late enough this year so it should be after the Pre-PAX dinner :) .

• WaywardTacoWaywardTaco Registered User new member
    ALRIGHT HOOKAH

• ShmelioShmelio Registered User regular
    I will be there if I don't do the crawl.

• edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey, a fourth thing I want to do with my Thursday... where's my time-turner...

6YJGH2V.png
  • kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    I am totally there. 100%. I have a membership at the Cobra Lounge.. haha. Oh well, what's one more.

Sadly, the Cobra Lounge in Seattle closed. The closest one is now 40 minutes south. http://www.thecobralounge.com/locations

We went to the cobra lounge two years ago but they did close :( . I am going to contact the night owl this week and try to get us a deal. I will keep you all posted.

Sorry about taking a while work got a little outta hand. I talked to the night owl they are cool with the group. They said typical a rush hits around 2130, so with our time of 2030 it should be no problem however I will make a reservation closer to the date. Between the thread and PM's we got around 20-25 folks interested so far. I don't know about you all but PAX can not come soon enough,

• AcesHigh291AcesHigh291 Registered User new member
    Count me in!

• Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    You know I'll be there... also on a side note I wish I could change my forum name to "the Knuts"

• embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm also in. It looks awesome there.

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    (I'll be at the TWDT, but...) I live in the U-District, and it is a long walk from the convention center. Go with a cab, car, or look up King County Metro bus routes 71, 72, 73, and 49. This is an April 2013 food map of University Way (aka The Ave.) The hookah venue has an entry door next to Memo's. (The strongest drinks, though, can be found at Earl's on the Ave, BTW... just throwing that out there, since I'm writing this from there right now :D )

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
    Thanks @Initaldor for the info that's awesome and super helpful. If any one is looking for a ride post here to see if we can get some car-pool going.

• requinrequin Registered User regular
    I will be there with probably 2-3 of my friends... is there an eventbrite page for this? or Are we just putting names down/pm'ing you?

It's not that formal. As long as people say they are coming I will be talking to the venue about numbers. There is roughly 25+ people coming and it is not a problem for the venue. I have a large group of people with me. You won't be able to miss us. A couple weeks before the event I will be talking to them to see if we can't get a room or discount though. It should be pretty awesome again this year.

• BRishenBRishen Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    I'd love to come for this just because I love the atmosphere of hookah bars but as I don't smoke hookah anymore I would only be trying out a puff every so often. Honestly I'll probably just be hitting my ecig most of the time if the venue is cool with that as well as the group.

edit: spelling mistake

BRishen on
  • NorainuNorainu Registered User regular
    I would join but I dont have a hotel room for Thursday; and I cant justify driving an hour there and back.
    Smoke a bowl for me

• GTG145GTG145 Registered User new member
    I'd love to maybe try it, I've never done hookah or anything like it so I'd be willing to try since I just recently turned 18 last year.

• GTG145GTG145 Registered User new member
    Maybe any tips for a first timer? Haha I'm a bit nervous

Tips for Smoking hookah first time?

I'd say Unless you've smoked tobacco before, take your time in it, dont Hold a hose in your mouth and breathe exlusively the hookah smoke (wouldnt really reccomend that anyways)

Uhh... Have fun and be social? thats kinda what this event is for!

If you need someone to hang around at the Hookah event, Just look for the Giant guy, that should be me. (also if you scream muffin and I turn my head thats a dead giveaway) lol

• SeanSean Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Can't wait to see everybody there!

We have 35+ people coming to the lounge. I talked to the night owl manager she said she maybe able to work out a deal due to the large group. 9 days I can't wait to see everyone.

so super-duper excited. cant wait to see ya'll there!

• technob3artechnob3ar Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    Glad to see this being continued this year! I helped start this at the cobra lounge a couple years back (2010 if i remember) That was a good fucking place and time!
    GTG145 wrote: »
    Maybe any tips for a first timer? Haha I'm a bit nervous
    I would say not to worry about it too much! If youre feeling light headed pass the hose or set it down for a bit. If the smoke is harsh, blow into the hose lightly and purge the hookah until the smoke has cleared out of the base. You can always ask someone there for help as well! I would avoid paying extra for the fruit or dragon flip bowls as they are sub par. Also dont put juice in the bowl as they charge 5 dollars for it and its a gimmick. Hving an ice or freeze hose can make the smoke more manageable and cool which is nice for a first time smoker, however it does deaden the flavor a tiny bit. The only time i ice my base is when im smoking mint(which you might want to try). If I make it ill be buying a hookah with mint and rose, in a vortex bowl with a long handle hose. Also you dont have to worry about nicotine and getting addicted like cigarettes. You wont be addicted to the shisha because the kind they offer is washed tobacco and has very little nicotine. Hope this helped!
    Hope to see ya all there if im not at the triwizard drinking tourney

technob3ar on
  • technob3artechnob3ar Registered User new member
    Also i'm going to take this opportunity to introduce those who enjoy hookah to www.reddit.com/r/hookah and http://www.royalhookahforum.com/. Both of these are amazing places to learn about hookah as a hobby.

Any news on tonight? did we end up with some sort of deal for our entire group?

Mums the word. I think the manager is stone walling me. However when I show up at 2030 with my group of 15 plus I think I can convince them to give us something. Either way prices here are not too shabby.

• BitterBitter Registered User new member
    Just a heads up your post says 20:30 (8:30PM PST) but the PAX Prime party page says 10:30PM PST (22:30).

Hmm well it is 2030 (830pm) I will message the guy thanks.

• SeanSean Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Updated the Pax Prime Party Page on facebook, albeit just before the 8:30 start time...

Well we are defiantly going back there next year. That was awesome. Have a great PAX everyone.

• BitterBitter Registered User new member
    Was a total sausage fest, but had a great time. Will def be back next year.

Quick thing; me and jd are thinkin bout a second hookah meetup on Sunday, around 8:30 pm, probably not as many people this time, but we're seeing if people would be up to joining us on a mid-pax hookah meetup