As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2013 BYOC Information & FAQ - [SOLD OUT]

VapokVapok Just a Guy.BostonRegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in PAX Australia
PAX Australia 2013 is approaching with speed and we're gearing up for BYOC!

BYOC Twitter Feed: @BYOC_Aus
Registration Status: Sold Out!

Stay tuned to this thread for updates!

More info to come!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
Vapok
Vapok on

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    BYOC FAQ

Q: Who will be running B.Y.O.C. Australia?
    A: At this time, we do not know who the manager or network/server team for the PC Room will be. Enforcers for sure! If you're interested in helping out as an Enforcer, Enforcer Registration will open in January.

Q: What does B.Y.O.C. stand for?
    A: "Bring Your Own Computer" a dedicated, secure place within PAX that attendees who purchase the additional badge have the ability to bring their own computer into PAX and play with other PAX attendees! It's a gigantic LAN Party and a pretty awesome place to rest your feet when you get tired of walking around the convention!

Q: How do I purchase a BYOC Badge?
    A: Badges are being sold during the PAX Australia Registration phase when you purchase your 3-Day or Single Day Badges. Unlike the US PAX'es, the BYOC badge is being sold bundled with a 3-Day Badge.

Q: How many BYOC Spots are available?
    A: Final count of seats are not known at this time. As we approach the final months of planning, this will be revised.

Q: BYOC is sold out and I didn't get a pass! Are passes set aside for later purchase? What about cancellations?
    A: We do not reserve any BYOC tickets for sale at a later date, so there are no additional tickets to be sold. If there are any cancellations, we may be able to, on an extremely limited basis, offer the cancelled tickets up for general purchase. Contact info at paxaustralia dot com dot au for specific inquiries.

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
    A: AUD$175 per seat which includes the PAX 3-Day Badge.

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Check in will start at 10:00 AM.
    Prior to correction, said: Check in will start at 8:00AM 2 hours before PAX opening on Friday. we aim to have it all complete about an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
    A: Historically, same hours as PAX, which for PAX Aus 2013 is 10AM - 11:30PM Friday and Saturday, and 10AM-6PM on Sunday. As more information about the venue is released, this will be updated.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the LAN the whole time?
    A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
    A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, LoL, COD4/5/6/7/etc, WoW, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Monday Night Combat, L4D2, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
    A: Correct, you aren't chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there in-between the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: No. The max monitor size is 27" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring my own chair?
    A: NO! Outside chairs are not allowed due to space constraints. Please use the chairs provided.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes, as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat and you can't use your own power strips

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.
    A: Daisy chaining power strips is a HUGE NO as well. Fire Marshall hates that so we need to enforce this pretty seriously. Sorry.

Q: Can I charge my iPhone, Android, iPad or other gadgets using power provided to my BYOC Seat?
    A: No, you are only given two power outlets for all of your stuff. If you need to charge your phone or other device, bring a USB cable.

Q: What are the wattage limits?
    A: This is a great question!  Historically, we have /NOT/ spent much time looking at various wattages on computers.  In the US PAX'es, we put approximately 6 BYOC seats on each 120V/20 AMP circuit (which in reality is more like 16 AMPS).  This generally allows for 4 large high power consumption PC's and 2 laptops or 6 average power consuming pc's.  Typically in the BYOC area, there isn't much issue with regards to power requirements.  That's in the States though.

Q: How many monitors can I bring with one BYOC Seat?
    A: As stated above, you are provided two power outlets per BYOC Seat purchased and you can not bring power strips. In addition, you may only bring One External Monitor per seat. If you purchased multiple seats, you may bring an additional monitor for each seat. Remember, Only monitors UNDER 30 inches are allowed.

Q: Does my Laptop Count as "One Monitor"?
    A: A laptop is typically powered using one power connection, and therefore counts as a workstation. If you desire to bring a larger external monitor for gaming, this is allowed. (e.g. you have a 15 inch laptop, but a 24 inch monitor) Keep in mind of the monitor size limitation as well.

Q: Said differently, how many power strips will be provided by PAX for each BYOC circuit?
    A: Again, it's most likely going to be different in Australia than it is in the US based on the differences in electrical usage.  In the US, we supply two sockets for each circuit.  Each socket has 1 6-outlet power strip.  Each power strip supplies 3 seats.  3 Seats to a table.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
    A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise, depending where you are sitting, the switch may be out of your cables reach.

Q: I have a BYOC badge. Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* who doesn't have a BYOC badge into BYOC with me?
    A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

Q: Is there Internet in BYOC?
    A: Yes there will be, although it will be locked down to prevent things like torrenting and throttled so not one person can use up all the bandwidth.

Q: But... how am I supposed to get my computer there?
    A: Drive it! An alternate option which I have used to attend LANs that are far away, is to ship yourself your computer/monitor to your hotel you are staying at. If you call them and say you have a package coming they will hold it for you until you check-in. Just ship it back to yourself when PAX is over.

Q: Can I bring my xbox/playstation/nintendo console?
    A: Sorry, no consoles allowed in here. This is a PC LAN. You can't being a console in addition either, those things use up a lot of power.

Q: Can I Bring a cooler in for drinks/snacks?
    A: Yes but only small personal coolers /w no ice (use the frozen gelpacks). If it has more than one handle and/or wheels then it wont be allowed in (think lunch sized cooler).

Q: Can I email you my question?
    A: Yes! Feel free to email PC Questions to info at paxaustralia dot com dot au

All information is subject to change as thats the nature of the convention beast.

zerzhul on
    Vapok
    From the Main FAQ Thread, I pulled out this questions.
    FPFr0sty wrote: »
    QQ... (as I may see about changing to the BYOC just to host a massive Minecraft server for funzies both at PAX and at maybe crown or where a group of peeps I get along with are)

As we cant bring our own power strips to the BYOC; what are the wattage limits for each PC we can have?
    In other words, from the hard-plate(the socket) how many of your own strips(power boards) you are going to hook up to each?
    We are 240V with 10amps (so 2400watt's max per power socket)

Q: What are the wattage limits?
    A: This is a great question! Historically, we have /NOT/ spent much time looking at various wattages on computers. In the US PAX'es, we put approximately 6 BYOC seats on each 120V/20 AMP circuit (which in reality is more like 16 AMPS). This generally allows for 4 large high power consumption PC's and 2 laptops or 6 average power consuming pc's. Typically in the BYOC area, there isn't much issue with regards to power requirements. That's in the states though. I don't have a lot of information right now, but depending on the actual venue that is chosen for the location of BYOC, the power limits may be different from that in the US. As soon as we are able to release more information about that, we'll announce that here in this thread!

Q: Said differently, how many power strips will be provided by PAX for each BYOC circuit?
    A: Again, it's most likely going to be different in Australia than it is in the US based on the differences in electrical usage. In the US, we supply two sockets for each circuit. Each socket has 1 6-outlet power strip. Each power strip supplies 3 seats. 3 Seats to a table.

Vapok
  • FPFr0styFPFr0sty Registered User regular
    Sorry to be asking so many questions, but as our space limit is well... limited;

1)What size desktops can we take along (MAX case size).

ie. (My PC)

27" and a Fullsize case+mouse+keyboard = 1000mm(W)x700mmD (or 40"W x 27"D) = well thats with the PC case next to the monitor, and with the mouse partly over the case)
    or
    900mm(W)x970mm(D) (35"W x 38"D) = with the case behind it

And as I saw you stated we get a 30" spot(Guessing its just the width size here), no matter what ill always be over by another 5"(With just keyboard/mouse layout) to 10"(Smallest PC case I have)

2) Will the 30" space be revised to maybe depict the rather larger gaming community that invests in full size cases, and gaming peripherals/layouts?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    at the USA PAXes, people will sometimes put their case behind their monitor to work within the space given (or on the floor). There are some seriously massive cases at USA paxes, so I don't think you need to worry about case size *too* much.

I remember seeing at PAX East and Prime a machine that looked like a mini-refrigerator. He sat on the end of a table row and put it on the floor. We don't typically have any issue with case sizes, as people get creative working with the amount of space that we give them. That being said, we want to try and put 3 people on one table, which we've always been able to do without much issue.

PROTIP: If you require extra space, when planning your seat position (upon arriving at PAX) find someone with a laptop, make a friend, and see if you can encroach a bit on their spot.

Vapok
    yer, one of my mates is taking his laptop... but im thinking of lending him one of mine, so at least he has a decent PC to play on as well. (even more so if his batt goes flat.)

• MattyG08MattyG08 Founder of The Core Gaming Australia || Indie Game Developer South Coast, NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh, Yes... and Exclusive room where I can rest my feet.. ahh.. heaven

The Core Gaming Australia, Founder/CEO/Lead Programmer
  • DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    So excited now, getting a New PC early next year in time for PAX :D

im may just take some spare cat6 cable (300m) just incase... as lord knows some-one will forget to take some cat5e-6 cable :P

If anyone is working on custom case mod's for BYOC feel free to post your in-progress pictures here! Looking forward to seeing how creative some of you get!

Vapok
    edited November 2012
    For me.. ill be picking the "BitFenix Shinobi White XL Window Case"; not only is it white (not my norm, as all my cases are a deep black, even the HTPC), it will give me an almost white backdrop to add to it.
    Go for a black, and white watercooling loop.

Ill probs order the parts next week, once I can finalize what I want done to it; I mean, its basically a white box.. So I may pick the white Stormtrooper, as that comes with a carry handle :P
    ----
    another edit :|
    ----

Or if I go too wacky, maybe build one out of wood :)

FPFr0sty on
    In case you were wondering: We're getting low on BYOC passes available for PAX Australia 2013!

Vapok
    edited November 2012
    Hey Folks, just noticed that the BYOC Tickets for PAX Australia 2013 have sold out!

We're still a few months away before we start group seating, and more information will come out about that as the show gets closer!

Keep an eye on this thread and the twitter feed for more information.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Exciting!!!

boy; for a min there I didn't think enough people wanted to go... seeing as we still have 234days to go and all.
    :P
    Still too far away :P (but does give me time for my case mod)

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Now I have to figure out how to save enough money for spending in addition to rebuilding my rig.. is there room to store your stuff under the desk / in the room or is it arm to arm? (ie where can i shove my cosplay stuff during the event :D)

Now I have to figure out how to save enough money for spending in addition to rebuilding my rig.. is there room to store your stuff under the desk / in the room or is it arm to arm? (ie where can i shove my cosplay stuff during the event :D)

People do manage to stuff their stuff under the table with remarkable effectiveness. You basically get a 32 inch box that you can put stuff in. You can stuff stuff under your desk (so long as it's not posing a fire hazard with the plugs or interfering with the power or network, you can use up as much of your 32 inches of width on top the table as you can so long that you're computer also fits and again, you're not interfering with network or power. Having said that, coolers, trunks, monitor boxes, computer boxes, and yes, even your own personal chair, are all items not allowed in BYOC.

Just remember Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.
    Also remember Mr. Rodgers Law: Be a good neighbor.

Vapok
    what if one person was to take a cooler for all 3 people to stash their drinks in?
    Also by cooler, you mean just the bag thing(non powerd) or the one where we need a power point as well?
    ----
    Keeping in mind you will be next to the same 2 people, so you would hope you would get along enough to share....

FPFr0sty wrote: »
    what if one person was to take a cooler for all 3 people to stash their drinks in?
    Also by cooler, you mean just the bag thing(non powerd) or the one where we need a power point as well?
    ----
    Keeping in mind you will be next to the same 2 people, so you would hope you would get along enough to share....

No devices larger than a lunch sack to store drinks or food are permitted into BYOC. By Cooler, I mean like a plastic tub that you throw ice and drinks in. They come in all shapes and sizes. The only thing allowed are lunch bags, and personal drink canisters. There are some small, insulated "cooler bags" that can fit like 3 soda cans that are small enough to not be a problem either.

Vapok
    Well I guess the upside is, no need to un-bolt mine from my truck then :P

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Yeh im considering hiring a hiace to leave in the parking lot for all my gear..also for easy getting in/out /storing of my cosplay (assuming i ever decide what I want to go as :P) - insert suspicious vehicle being towed from carpark jokes here

Fitzchivalry on
  • zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Maybe we could all chip in for our own Desert Bus :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
    edited December 2012
    Well ill be taking my smaller truck (2tonn van) along, and strapping my gear, and the gear im giving to my mate. So they dont move about.
    ----
    well change of plans... turns out he didnt understand the concept of the 3day pass and the BYOC passes; but he does understand the concept of the "steam store" so he couldnt buy the BYOC pass at all... all well, his loss :P
    And so I just need to take one PC with me.. yippi

FPFr0sty on
  • kmdoDRGNkmdoDRGN Registered User new member
    Will there be any eSports tournaments on? LoL, SC2, CS:GO, Dota2...

• feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    Question

My pc monitor and peripherals fit snugly in a box that I'd secure to one of those hand trollies. The box is very roughly 50cm x 40 cm x 90cm. I plan on bringing this on the train, potentially on foot or by taxi from my hotel in the city. Is there capacity to store the afore mentioned box and trolley as I won't have a car outside to dump stuff back into. Many thanks.

posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That’s a hard one...

I guess the following applies:

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: No. The max monitor size is 27" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes, as long as you stay within your 30" (76cm) of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat and you can't use your own power strips

Q: Can I Bring a cooler in for drinks/snacks?
    A: Yes but only small personal coolers /w no ice (use the frozen gelpacks). If it has more than one handle and/or wheels then it wont be allowed in (think lunch sized cooler).

The last two point where just to get a handle on how much space you will have allocated to you.

By your size description of the box and the hand trolley, you might be on the boarder... No doubt Vapok or the more experienced guys will have the info for need.

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    Thanks, yes I read that, it wasn't that clear. I guess I could always padlock it up somewhere..

Its effectively one of these http://www.rhinotrunkandcase.com/products-capabilities/rhino-steel-trunks/

posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Vapok wrote: »

People do manage to stuff their stuff under the table with remarkable effectiveness. You basically get a 32 inch box that you can put stuff in. You can stuff stuff under your desk (so long as it's not posing a fire hazard with the plugs or interfering with the power or network, you can use up as much of your 32 inches of width on top the table as you can so long that you're computer also fits and again, you're not interfering with network or power. Having said that, coolers, trunks, monitor boxes, computer boxes, and yes, even your own personal chair, are all items not allowed in BYOC.

Coolers, trunks, monitor boxes, computer boxes - not allowed... not part of the main post, but by same figure of authority, so...

Kaneski on
    Question

My pc monitor and peripherals fit snugly in a box that I'd secure to one of those hand trollies. The box is very roughly 50cm x 40 cm x 90cm. I plan on bringing this on the train, potentially on foot or by taxi from my hotel in the city. Is there capacity to store the afore mentioned box and trolley as I won't have a car outside to dump stuff back into. Many thanks.
    Kaneski wrote: »
    Vapok wrote: »

Coolers, trunks, monitor boxes, computer boxes - not allowed... not part of the main post, but by same figure of authority, so...

Thanks Kaneski

Vapok
    Question - how do people arrange themselves in the BYOC area? Coming with 2 other BYOCs, so we'd like to all sit in a row.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Are there any generally suggested measures that we should take to prepare our computers before PAX so they don't contract PAXitis?

discrider on
    Kaneski wrote: »
    Question - how do people arrange themselves in the BYOC area? Coming with 2 other BYOCs, so we'd like to all sit in a row.
    Usually there's the ability to do a group seating signup for a large group. For a small group of 3, if you show up all at the same time you should be able to sit together. It's typically first come first serve other than the large groups.
    discrider wrote: »
    Are there any generally suggested measures that we should take to prepare our computers before PAX so they don't contract PAXitis?
    I have no idea what this means.

zerzhul wrote: »

Translation - I am concerned my PC will be infected with malicious software and viruses by connecting to the dangerous PAX network infrastructure. How can I defend myself against such a vile attack?

Answer - Normal protection - make sure your virus software is up to date, all windows updates done, and stay off dodgy websites. Also don't allow people full access to your files (ie only share out a particular folder if you need to). Nothing is infallible, however in such a close confined group of nerds, if someone is busted hacking / invading / infecting there will most likely be an old faashion lynching and a smashing of said persons PC and them being tossed out of the show grounds. If you're really worried, just bring your PC with a plain vanilla copy of Windows, and the games installed, no documents/ photos / music etc that you dont want to lose.

• David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    For those of you who are coming with a group of 5 or more, shoot us an email at pax_pc@paxsite.com and we'll make sure you've got some seating together. (If you're less than that, you shouldn't have any problem finding seating together).

Ah. Yeah just... treat your computer as if it were directly connected to the internet.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Any recommendations on a (cheap) antivirus program for a Windows 7 box?
    I haven't invested in one yet because I take the approach that if it breaks then I'll fix it.

discrider on
  • rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I haven't invested in one yet because I take the approach that if it breaks then I'll fix it.
    Microsoft Security Essentials - lightweight and best of all, free.

edited June 2013
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/security-essentials-download

Yes it's actually good. It's also free.

Edit: bah, that's what I get for replying to a thread I opened 10 min ago :P

zerzhul on
  • rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/security-essentials-download

Yes it's actually good. It's also free.

Edit: bah, that's what I get for replying to a thread I opened 10 min ago :P

Haha! Good to see we're on the same page though :P

Translation - I am concerned my PC will be infected with malicious software and viruses by connecting to the dangerous PAX network infrastructure. How can I defend myself against such a vile attack?

Answer - Normal protection - make sure your virus software is up to date, all windows updates done, and stay off dodgy websites. Also don't allow people full access to your files (ie only share out a particular folder if you need to). Nothing is infallible, however in such a close confined group of nerds, if someone is busted hacking / invading / infecting there will most likely be an old faashion lynching and a smashing of said persons PC and them being tossed out of the show grounds. If you're really worried, just bring your PC with a plain vanilla copy of Windows, and the games installed, no documents/ photos / music etc that you dont want to lose.

When you plug the cable in at PAX - pick 'public' network type, it should disable most of the easily-infected stuff - discovery, F&P sharing, messenger service (if for some reason it got reinstalled), etc...

On top of that - I'd suggest bringing your OS discs, because reinstalls during LANs are not unheard of; removing any private info/files to temporary storage; temporarily changing your regular password into something once-off; cleaning & disabling caching and cookies; and for most part - accept the reasonable chance that on Monday after the PAX, a clean install may the best option. :D