As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T: Community Versus Content

TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
I'm actually a bit suprised nobody's opened a post about this topic. If some G&T mod was all like "No arguing about this, at all" I apologize, but I saw nothing in the new stickies.

I'm not here to argue really, anyway. Not directly against the new moves, at least. I agree that the chat thread has long, long outlived its viablility. When you have people who just roost in the chat thread and pick fights, never venturing outside of it, obviously there's a problem. I also agree that some of the members of certain console threads act like dicks towards dissenting opinions. I also don't have any arguments behind the general base logic of the decision. A flow of new users is vital to maintaining a good forum community, and if we want to ensure the forum's future we need to avoid scaring those people off.

However, I would argue that a solid base of regulars is also just as vital. A community bulletin board about Games and Technology is still a community, and some of that community aspect has to leak through serious discussion to maintain the board's health.

Is the idea of a rigidly on-topic forum nice on paper? Absolutely. But this is what bothers me, specifically:
I want a forum that Robert Khoo can be proud of. I want him to be able to take someone from the industry to, and be proud to say to them, ''These are my people.''

I'm not going to even go into the fact that Gabe and Tycho both firmly insist on painting us as a mass of retards. Bottom line, the PA forums should not be a cute little showpiece to the industry. If this is seriously what this is all about, I would suggest a nice heavily-regulated "community site" filled with advertisement space, where people extol the virtues of Penny Arcade-approved games while they talk in their favorite advertiser-sponsored topics, and every post is screened for dissenting opinions. The industry will love it.

It will also not be anything remotely similar to G&T. We're a community forum full of sassy foul-mouthed dicks, with loud opinions that would make the average industry exec shit himself half to death twice in a 10-minute span. We are not generally industry-friendly and we are not going to magically become industry-friendly.

Again, while I agree with some of the decisions made, please don't go all the way down the slippery slope, and castrate the community aspect of G&T entirely when it's just a matter of smacking some of the stupider people in the head until they behave. Especially when it seems that the goal is to pare the forum down into some robotic discussion group lacking any human element so we can be showcased around to approving statements along the line of "Aw, aren't they cute and well-behaved."

TuxedoHawk.png
TxdoHawk on

• apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    I think what you are missing is the initiative to make a Penny Arcade Community worthy of the site, not a Games and Technology Community. G&T is part of a whole and the steps taken are taken with that big picture in mind.

And, as for behavior we want to see, keep the brand name in mind: Penny Arcade. We WANT "sassy foul-mouthed dicks". Its part of the mandate, right next to machines that fuck fruit.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    What are the forums here for? Giving PA fans a place to interact? Or are the forums here to attract business?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I get the feeling that PA is a place where gamers can come and discuss things without having to resort to god-awful forums like gamefaqs or the gamespot forums

Not that we're "better" than anyone else, but a lot of stupid shit that passes for conversation elsewhere just doesn't fly here

It just so happens that PA is the link that brings us all together, or some other hippie crap, I don't know

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?

DarkPrimus on
  • The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?
    The man who pays the bills. There are three administrators: Whippy, Alpha, and Khoo. That's illusory.

In the end, only Khoo matters.

The Sphinx on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Arcibi wrote:
    I get the feeling that PA is a place where gamers can come and discuss things without having to resort to god-awful forums like gamefaqs or the gamespot forums

Not that we're "better" than anyone else, but a lot of stupid shit that passes for conversation elsewhere just doesn't fly here

It just so happens that PA is the link that brings us all together, or some other hippie crap, I don't know

Fuck that man, we're totally better than them.

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?
    The man who pays the bills. There are three administrators: Whippy, Alpha, and Khoo. That's illusory.

So how come Khoo never posts?

DarkPrimus on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Because he's too busy making money for Gabe and Tycho?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?

Whippy is the forum guy, who deals with forumers.
    Alpha is the board guy, technician and deals with server stuff.
    Khoo helps Gabe and Tycho earn money, with PR and stuff.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
    edited September 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?

Whippy is the forum guy, who deals with forumers.
    Alpha is the board guy, technician and deals with server stuff.
    Khoo helps Gabe and Tycho earn money, with PR and stuff.

Like the Holy Trinity. Or the Triforce.

DarkPrimus on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    TxdoHawk wrote:
    I'm not going to even go into the fact that Gabe and Tycho both firmly insist on painting us as a mass of retards. Bottom line, the PA forums should not be a cute little showpiece to the industry. If this is seriously what this is all about, I would suggest a nice heavily-regulated "community site" filled with advertisement space, where people extol the virtues of Penny Arcade-approved games while they talk in their favorite advertiser-sponsored topics, and every post is screened for dissenting opinions. The industry will love it.

The reason Gabe and Tycho painted it like that is because Games and Tech EARNED that title from them. They didn't just do that for no reason.

FyreWulff on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Well, Gabe and Tycho are not fond of forums as it is, anyways.

A duck! on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So the question then shifts to:

If the mods are doing this in order to change that mentality, and get the PA forums back into line, and less segregationist..

Why did they do it in a way that instantly creates an "us versus them" mentality?

I'll cite examples of this if desired, but I hope that people, by this point, will have seen most of them.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?

He's an admin on the forums, but then so are Gabe and Tycho. Khoo runs the business end of the entire Penny Arcade company. He posts occasionally in the PAX subforum, but I'd imagine he's far too busy to really spend much time just slumming here.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited September 2006
    hi

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    He also watches you while you sleep.

Fencingsax on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    'Ello Mr. Khoo

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    KHOO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, STOP YELLING AT HIM ABOUT IT

how's that, rob

Whippy on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm going to sum up the last, what?, 30 hours?

Silly.

Very, very Silly.

Ludious on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    So the question then shifts to:

If the mods are doing this in order to change that mentality, and get the PA forums back into line, and less segregationist..

Why did they do it in a way that instantly creates an "us versus them" mentality?

I'll cite examples of this if desired, but I hope that people, by this point, will have seen most of them.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the mods involved in this who created that mentality, unless Khoo finally bought us that mind-control hardware he's been promising for months. You crazy kids managed that all by your lonesomes.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    KHOO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, STOP YELLING AT HIM ABOUT IT

how's that, rob

Oh don't worry, I don't think anyone is blaming him.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have to say.

I'm relatively new but I had absolutely no issue jumping right into the megathreads and I was recieved without nothing short of "hello, and welcome to the penny-arcade forums, thanks for not being a flaming moron"

If thats supposed to be this "xenophobic", "segragated", elitist group of jerks that makes Megathreads a killer... well then I don't think I'd have it any other way.

Not to mention the fact that you have the gall to tell us that we're all sitting around in some crazed circle jerk regarding TC, OTO, and PW. I mean sure I've seen a person or two get wailed on for posting "hay lolz, guess wat, Ouedan is the game of fags miright?" but I've yet to see anyone post anything intelligent or even just well thought out regarding any of the games in question, because I'm sure as hell that if someone actually made an intelligent post it wouldn't just be shat upon instantly like some retard's textual diareha is.

Summary:

This move is stupid.
    The logic behind it is flawed.
    The admins themselves are being rude and cliqueish in making this move.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I didn't read this thread aside from the first post. A bit. But my response is my sig.

Henroid on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just can't wait till suddenly it becomes a rule that you can't make a new thread about a game because there are 400+ new threads a day for all the little new things that are coming out. Thats one benefit that I see to having the individual console mega-threads. Its not exactly a catch-all, but it theoretically keeps down the explosion of new threads.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Ironically the chat thread, at one time, was responsible for an explosion of 10-15 new threads of people trying to get the next one every couple of days. It wasn't until the mods made it so uh, only mods could make one, that shit was fixed and there really hasn't been a problem. People can use the search tool.

FyreWulff on
  • ChtulieChtulie Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Long time lurker, rare recent poster.

It's the DS and 360 megathreads that got me out of lurking and into posting. It were also the threads that have made the PS forums a site a visit every day now.

These two threads are fantastic for all the stuff dedicated game or app threads can't cover. They cover the little games, niche stuff that doesn't immediatly find a big audience and allows it to grow. It also allows for casual discussion of older games. When a game is released in the US it'll receive a neat thread, by the time it get's released here in Europe that thread will have been pushed down and away by new threads. In the megathreads I can find opinions and information about these games and playing these games without digging into ancient past or doing somthing as radical is starting a new thread for a question of info that can't really support the need for a whole new thread.

The speculation threads though. Threads about the PS3, the Wii, about stuff for which there is no factual information, no actual concrete hands on experience and such, yeah, those are nasty.

But those for the existing platforms, those are nice, comfortable and overall friendly places. Dickery, Super Dickery or Regular Dickery doesn't derail those threads into nastyness. People have actually got the hardware and played the software, they know the actual strengths and weaknesses. They won't be affected by false taunts and will appreciaty constructive feedback even if it's from a negative experience.

Yeah, the page count seems intimidating, but the speed at which the whole (sub)forum moves would seem even moreso. Having these threads, subtopics is actually something I've found to be very handy starting points to get more involved with the forum.

(good mods, clear rules and a friendly communty are the things that'll bring me into a forum, long threads aren't what'll scare me off)

Chtulie on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Not to mention that with my severe ADD I can't be bothered to read a whole thread devoted to only one subject.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    G&T isn't what it was three years ago. :| This saddens me.

Henroid on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, I'm a fairly frequent poster in G&T and rather than waste the space that's left in our last DS thread, I'm going to post my thoughts here.

The disolving of the Megathreads makes no sense. You need a master thread for the systems, because people ALWAYS have general questions that don't need to be wasted on a new thread. How many "Just got a DS, what do I buy" threads are you going to need to see to prove that? Or "Have a DS, should I get a DSLite?" They are going to appear again, and again, and again.

I really like our little DS thread community - I'm not one to post frequently, but that thread I always keep up on. Just about every small release gets played by someone there, and that way I never have to waste space with a new thread for some small question that just needs a one sentence answer. It's a nice, inviting group. Making the forums more accessible to newcomers is less about killing off good sources of information and more about jailing/banning people that are assholes to newcomers.

It's a great place to visit, I just hate to see it become a complete clusterfuck of new threads where only the most popular games remain on the front page - it can bury great stuff that way. I bought Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, and Trauma Center based on these forums, I have to wonder if I would have been exposed to them otherwise.

At the very least give us some console specific subforums...please?

That's my .02.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    G&T isn't what it was three years ago. :| This saddens me.
    You've contributed so much to this discussion.

Really.
    Herby wrote:
    megathread stuff
    The thing about the megathreads for me, though, is that the same topics do get repeated over and over as it is. You'll have somebody come into the DS thread once in a while to ask about screen protectors, or what games they should get, or if it's worth upgrading to a DS lite, etc. I usually just scroll right on past those posts when they crop up again. If each of these topics had their own thread, I'd just scroll right on past them on the topic index as well. I don't think it's a huge change. If repeat threads start cropping up, just lock them and yell at the offender for not using the search feature.
    Herby wrote:
    It's a great place to visit, I just hate to see it become a complete clusterfuck of new threads where only the most popular games remain on the front page - it can bury great stuff that way. I bought Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, and Trauma Center based on these forums, I have to wonder if I would have been exposed to them otherwise.

At the very least give us some console specific subforums...please?
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I learned about Phoenix Wright way back when Imran made the first thread for it, complete with a lengthy OP, lots of pictures, and plenty of speculation over what the game would be like. You can't say for certain that all of this stuff is just going to fall under the radar.

Console-specific subforums are a one-way ticket to actually make all of that clique nonsense true. It may not be the case for the DS thread now that people talk mostly about games in there, but I remember a lot of PSP hate and gloating over sales charts in its early days. That shit got old fast. In the absense of actual games to talk about, the current Wii and PS3 megathreads tend to be fanboy magnets more than anything else.

The chat thread ban still doesn't make sense to me, but I've said all that I've cared to say on that matter elsewhere.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My only issue with the death of the megathreads is that I probably would have never bought Oendan without it.

That makes me very very sad.

Gino on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My only issue with the death of the megathreads is that I probably would have never bought Oendan without it.

Do you really think you would never have heard of it? Especially when people started buying it, raving about it, and gave it a 50+ page thread of its own? It's not like Penny Arcade is the only place on the internet to have heard of the game, either. I frequent at least half a dozen forums; it's a fairly popular import everywhere, as far as I can tell.

If nothing else, if this move really does kill discussion somehow instead of incite more of it, then I doubt that the changes would be permanent.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

Do you really think you would never have heard of it? Especially when people started buying it, raving about it, and gave it a 50+ page thread of its own? It's not like Penny Arcade is the only place on the internet to have heard of the game, either. I frequent at least half a dozen forums; it's a fairly popular import everywhere, as far as I can tell.

If nothing else, if this move really does kill discussion somehow instead of incite more of it, then I doubt that the changes would be permanent.

Well I would have heard of it but I dont' think I would have bought it. Also the 50+ page thread came after it was introduced to everyone in the Megathread.

It's not really just that game either, there are alot of things that have come out of the DS thread for me. I would never have picked Trauma Center back up and actually beat it. This is one of the best things I've done in the last year.

There is always the low profile stuff that you are usually introduced or been talked into by the Megathread.

Really I just love the DS and Wii thread. I post in the 360 thread as well as other places when I see a topic I am interested in. It just happens that I am most interested in the DS and Wii threads.

Gino on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?

Mike and Jerry could find just about anyone to handle their finances at the drop of a hat. Finding a system admin like alpha is a needle in a haystack. If it weren't for alpha, Khoo wouldn't have his job. :)

SeñorAmor on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fine - I'll admit it, I simply like the clique that the DS thread has become. It's a good group of people with like interests having fun talking about the DS. In a board with a ton of users, is a community within a community really such a bad thing? I mean - you want a sense that others know you and that you are part of a group - don't you? We're inviting to newcomers, providing they aren't idiots, and welcome them in quickly - hell we even have a wiki to give them purchase advise.

I don't see the problem of people banding together with like interests. That's what message boards are for. Are the 360 and DS threads really that big of a problem? I hope the mods read the final posts in the DS threads and rethink - there's a group of people really upset with the fact that our little corner of the boards are gone.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

I own a DS. I dig it. I love finding out about groovy niche games that I'd enjoy, like Phoenix Wright and Oendan.

But I never read the DS thread. Why? IT'S SO GODDAMN BIG.

Unless you obsessively follow it every day, mashing F5 every 30 minutes or so, it's really impossible to find any useful news in there unless you stumble into it by chance. In fact, I never would have found out about Oendan if it weren't for that 50+ page thread. When a game thread gets that huge, I think "holy crap, that must be fun. I'll read about it." When the DS thread gets huge, I think "ah, they're talking about drawing dicks over pictochat or discussing techniques for slipping it in their pockets," and ignore it.

I know I'm not the only one... when threads posting PS3 news come up, Ownage may say "this is old, we talked about this already" amongst all his :sighs and :roll: , but numerous people said "hey, I didn't know about this, the PS3 thread is too big to keep up with. And that thread barely adds 3 pages a day.

And really, everyone's freaking out over swarms of mini-threads popping up... but I seriously doubt that'll happen. Remember when the mega-thread rules were relaxed the first time, and system news could be posted out of them? And Raijin threw a hissy-fit and quit in a huff? And everyone predicted there would be too many swarms of threads? Guess what... it didn't happen. And I doubt it'll happen now.

I know it's frustrating for the communities within the mega-threads, but honestly, they're really not user-friendly for people who don't have oodles of spare time. I don't. I have a job, I have a life. I like to read a few posts, make a few comments, and get back to the real world.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PseudonymPseudonym Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Herby wrote:
    Fine - I'll admit it, I simply like the clique that the DS thread has become. It's a good group of people with like interests having fun talking about the DS. In a board with a ton of users, is a community within a community really such a bad thing? I mean - you want a sense that others know you and that you are part of a group - don't you? We're inviting to newcomers, providing they aren't idiots, and welcome them in quickly - hell we even have a wiki to give them purchase advise.

I don't see the problem of people banding together with like interests. That's what message boards are for. Are the 360 and DS threads really that big of a problem? I hope the mods read the final posts in the DS threads and rethink - there's a group of people really upset with the fact that our little corner of the boards are gone.

I don't post much, but I have enjoyed reading the DS thread for some time. Sure it was big, but it was a good place to get the latest general info, and advice on game buys. And there was always specific game threads if you wanted to talk about a title in more depth. So, I'd have to say that as a lurker, the big threads (Well the DS at least) drew me more into wanting to post rather than away, as the given reason for the change would indicate. Here's the testimonial I posted in the DS thread.

"I'm also mostly a lurker. I'll miss having a place to get all of my DS scuttlebutt at once. Also, I never felt shunned at the G&T forums. As long as I posted polite and coherent questions, I got polite answers back. I like the feel of the G&T forums because is well mannered enough to be pleasant to read, but has enough of an edge to it to keep really incoherent posts to a minimum. Ah, well. I'll see how it goes now."

On another note, my first impression of the SE forum was not a good one. Someone posted a link to a DS chat thread in SE, and I thought, "Well, they are trying to get all of the chat in one place. That's fine. Let's have a look at this new thread." When I looked it over it was nothing but arguing not much related to DS games. They did at one point start talking about Harvest Moon, but it quickly turned to how one would "Do it" with a mermaid. I fled back to G&T, because it seems that the style of SE is not for me. I mean, I like a little DS in my DS chat thread. I know you are going for forum unity, but I think the forum cultures have evolved differently so it will be tricky.

Ah well, that's just my 2 cents. I hope the new rules operate smoothly and that I am worried over nothing.

Pseudonym on
    Animal Crossing Wii: Kelly in Boomtown
    1934-4237-4812
    Fruit: Peaches, perhaps coconuts soon too!
  • thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

I own a DS. I dig it. I love finding out about groovy niche games that I'd enjoy, like Phoenix Wright and Oendan.

But I never read the DS thread. Why? IT'S SO GODDAMN BIG.

Unless you obsessively follow it every day, mashing F5 every 30 minutes or so, it's really impossible to find any useful news in there unless you stumble into it by chance. In fact, I never would have found out about Oendan if it weren't for that 50+ page thread. When a game thread gets that huge, I think "holy crap, that must be fun. I'll read about it." When the DS thread gets huge, I think "ah, they're talking about drawing dicks over pictochat or discussing techniques for slipping it in their pockets," and ignore it.

I know I'm not the only one... when threads posting PS3 news come up, Ownage may say "this is old, we talked about this already" amongst all his :sighs and :roll: , but numerous people said "hey, I didn't know about this, the PS3 thread is too big to keep up with. And that thread barely adds 3 pages a day.

And really, everyone's freaking out over swarms of mini-threads popping up... but I seriously doubt that'll happen. Remember when the mega-thread rules were relaxed the first time, and system news could be posted out of them? And Raijin threw a hissy-fit and quit in a huff? And everyone predicted there would be too many swarms of threads? Guess what... it didn't happen. And I doubt it'll happen now.

I know it's frustrating for the communities within the mega-threads, but honestly, they're really not user-friendly for people who don't have oodles of spare time. I don't. I have a job, I have a life. I like to read a few posts, make a few comments, and get back to the real world.

While I respect your opinion, I think you're approaching the idea in the wrong way.

Megathreads should not be a substitute for dedicated news outlets, like GameSpot or 1Up. If you want news fast, go to those websites. Items are easy to find and there's virtually no clutter.

Additionally, there are very few people who actually read every single post in a megathread. Rather, for most, the thread serves as a sort of "chat thread" (although I hesitate to use that term), where discussion can travel freely from one topic to the next. If someone wants to bring up a previous topic, they're free to do so. If the rest of the posters have something to say, they'll post it. Otherwise, the floor will just be yielded to something else.

I just think you're taking the idea a little too seriously. The DS megathread should not be the be-all and end-all source of DS news and discussion. If something warrants a new thread, someone will make a new thread. For everything else, there's the megathread.

thegloaming on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    ... Who's Robert Khoo?

Mike and Jerry could find just about anyone to handle their finances at the drop of a hat. Finding a system admin like alpha is a needle in a haystack. If it weren't for alpha, Khoo wouldn't have his job. :)

No, we'd just get Ramius to do it.

Tube on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    What I found most disturbing about this incident was all the people complaining about the fact that whippy made this call, acting as if he was some sort of niche mod.

I mean, can you really call yourself part of the PA community if you don't even know who the fucking Admins are?

Szechuanosaurus on
This discussion has been closed.