As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] The Ballot Box isn't even half empty.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Those MPs behind the alternative legislative programme say it is a “genuine attempt” to show what policies a future Conservative government could deliver.

I agree with this.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Those MPs behind the alternative legislative programme say it is a “genuine attempt” to show what policies a future Conservative government could deliver.

I agree with this.

Agreed. Absolutely crazy

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited June 2013
    I guess it is probably aimed at keeping the UKIP sympathisers vaguely happy

In other news, the SNP has won the Aberdeen Donside Assembly bye election, but on a reduced majority , although as a lowly attended bye election who knows what that means

Mark McDonald (SNP): 9,814
    Willie Young (Labour): 7,789
    Christine Jardine (Lib Dem)1,940
    Ross Thomson (Conservative): 1,791
    Otto Inglis (UKIP): 1,128
    Rhonda Reekie (Scottish Greens): 410
    Dave MacDonald (Scottish National Front): 249
    Tom Morrow (Scottish Christian Party "Proclaiming Christ's Lordship"): 222
    James Trolland (Scottish Democratic Alliance): 35

Kalkino on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The campaign for Scottish Independence has no greater weapon in its arsenal than the Conservative party.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

I agree with this.

It's refreshing to see this sudden trend towards honesty.

UKIP actually did ok, for a Scottish Assembly election I would think over 1000 votes is respectable and given the 3rd and 4th places also got under 2000

Noting of course they lost their deposit

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Kalkino wrote: »

In other news, the SNP has won the Aberdeen Donside Assembly bye election, but on a reduced majority , although as a lowly attended bye election who knows what that means

The vote for Labour, Cons & Lib Dem basically stayed the same. SNP vote was down by 5000. My take away message is 5000 SNP voters couldn't be arsed to turn up for a by-election in a safe seat.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.

The vote for Labour, Cons & Lib Dem basically stayed the same. SNP vote was down by 5000. My take away message is 5000 SNP voters couldn't be arsed to turn up for a by-election in a safe seat.

I wouldnt be too worried if I was the SNP either. Mid term apathy being what it is

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The campaign for Scottish Independence has no greater weapon in its arsenal than the Conservative party.

Due to Tory actions a weird occurrence happens where Better Together anti-independence leaflets morph into pro-independence leaflets. Two recent examples are: "You don't want to lose our AAA credit rating" and "Don't let us become isolated from Europe". The second one came out a few days before Cameron announced the European referendum.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    At this point the last, best hope for the union is simple inertia. Hopefully enough people won't bother to vote/be too scared by the unknown to vote for independance. The only saving grace for the better together campaign is that they started out with a substantial majority on their side, the conservatives are eating into that with each passing week though, so if it had been close they would have utterly nixed it.

Casual on
    In other news, I intend to move to Edinburgh in October.

So I'll have a whole new political party to be intensely disgusted with!

V1m wrote: »
    In other news, I intend to move to Edinburgh in October.

So I'll have a whole new political party to be intensely disgusted with!

As much as it pains me to say it the SNP on their worst day aren't as terrible as the Tories. They're just mostly full of shit and generally corrupt to the same standard as all politicians.

Not sure who is in power in Edinburgh though, it might actually be Labour.

I have full faith in the SNP's ability to disgust me at the earliest opportunity, and often thereafter.

However, getting to see my nephew every weekend will make up for it :)

V1m wrote: »
    I have full faith in the SNP's ability to disgust me at the earliest opportunity, and often thereafter.

However, getting to see my nephew every weekend will make up for it :)

If you're going to be in the city of Edinburgh then national government will be the least of your worries. The Edinburgh city council will take places 1 to 10 on your top ten list of politicians that make your life difficult. They are every bit as inept, terrible and stupid as they are corrupt.

Don't get me wrong Edinburgh is an amazing city, you will probably love living there on the whole and I am jelly, but it has some of the worst local government you will find anywhere in the UK.

As long as they're not overtly racist against English people, they can't be much worse than the local council I grew up with in West Yorkshire.

The trouble with local government is that it's full of the kind of people who'd run for election to local government.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    BobCesca wrote: »

What, no more Clive of India?! Soon the world will laugh at ignorant British children, who know nothing of the first Baron Clive

clive-of-india-1935-loretta-young-c2fb.jpg

Also, it seems Clive's pet tortoise only died 5 years ago.

Adwaita.jpg

Kalkino on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    At this rate Gove's console of choice will be the Xbox One Eighty!

attachment.php?attachmentid=132803&stc=1&d=1340853623#.jpg

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    scots actually luv english people if u r not pensi

obF2Wuw.png
    scots actually luv english people if u r not pensi

Pfft. Most Scots and English are cultural descendents from Angle - Germanic invasions and should be united in brother-hood. Someone put me in charge of the Better Together campaign and I'll get to work on this exciting new idea. I predict lots of dull powerpoint slides interspersed with video clips from old Viking films.

In political news - I just got approached by a local Labour candidate for my local council area - with elections being in 2013. Getting in early!

I registered my annoyance at local real estate agencies and bookmakers

I wonder how often, if ever, this kind of thing happens.

I am not opposed to top up fees for middle income upwards users, as what is what I grew up with in NZ, but it does present a radical change and one that I'm sure there must be other alternatives we could consider first

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Raise taxes on top earners instead? I'd rather have another twenty quid off my paycheck each month than have to keep an "In case I'm ill" fund which might have to be in the thousands depending on how ill I've got.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/british-medical-association-passes-vote-of-no-confidence-in-health-secretary-jeremy-hunt-8670808.html

"The BMA passed a vote of no confidence in the former health secretary Andrew Lansley last year. They now say they have no confidence in the policies of his successor Mr Hunt."

Raise taxes on top earners instead? I'd rather have another twenty quid off my paycheck each month than have to keep an "In case I'm ill" fund which might have to be in the thousands depending on how ill I've got.

Collect tax as assessed?

I will look to see if I can find if there were any studies or research on NZ's implementation for a GP top-up fee in the 1990s

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

It's no good. If I hit agree multiple times it just keeps toggling on and off rather than giving this post the multiple agree marks it requires to reflect my true strength of feeling.

MhCw7nZ.gif

Or maybe realise that letting international corporations pay no tax at all isn't a luxury we can afford any more.

So, Jane Austen may be the new tenner in England. Hmm. Well, why not. I guess we've got to the point where we need a trade, lost a woman, gained a male politician for the 5, now need a woman

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/25/in-praise-of-jane-austen-10pound-note

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Austen wouldn't be my first choice for a woman on a banknote, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

I'm just grateful it's not Thatcher.

They were going to bring out a Thatcher commemorative stamp, but people couldn't work out which side to spit on.

edited June 2013

I couldn't agree more

The whole point of the NHS is that it allows you to take the financial considerations of healthcare away from the individual so they can focus on getting the best treatment. Keeping the NHS tax payer funded is pretty much my biggest consideration in domestic politics.

Reform the tax system, close the loopholes, make amazon pay their fucking corporation tax then the government can tell me with a straight face they don't have enough money to pay for the NHS.

Casual on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    No, see, if we make the companies pay tax they'll just stop doing business here, and then we'll have nothing to eat and all starve to death.

Or something.

Fine, let them fuck off. People still want to buy coffee and buy DVDs, so the gap will be filled by smaller companies who can't afford an army of accountants or lunch dates with the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

More tax revenue, plus we get to save The Great British High Street™.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    nationalise starbucks

Fine, let them fuck off. People still want to buy coffee and buy DVDs, so the gap will be filled by smaller companies who can't afford an army of accountants or lunch dates with the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

More tax revenue, plus we get to save The Great British High Street™.

This is one of the largest conservative dichotomies, the free market is versatile, all-knowing and invincible, unless you decide to tax it, then it will crumble into dust.

Tax is the kyptonite of the free market.

While I'm banging the lefty drum, I saw this status posted on Facebook:
    Mandela will die soon. Today, tomorrow, this week, next week. It wont be long. Remember this, he out-lived Thatcher. When Cameron latches on the Mandela bandwagon this week remember that in 1985 he was a top member of the Federation of Conservative Students, who produced the "hang Mandela" posters. In 1989 Cameron worked in the Tory Policy Unit at Central Office and went on a anti-sanctions fact finding mission to South Africa with pro-apartheid Lobby Firm that was sponsored by Botha. Remember this when he tells the world he was inspired by Madiba.

While I'm banging the lefty drum, I saw this status posted on Facebook:
    Mandela will die soon. Today, tomorrow, this week, next week. It wont be long. Remember this, he out-lived Thatcher. When Cameron latches on the Mandela bandwagon this week remember that in 1985 he was a top member of the Federation of Conservative Students, who produced the "hang Mandela" posters. In 1989 Cameron worked in the Tory Policy Unit at Central Office and went on a anti-sanctions fact finding mission to South Africa with pro-apartheid Lobby Firm that was sponsored by Botha. Remember this when he tells the world he was inspired by Madiba.

When I woke up this morning, if you told me I would have an even lower opinion of David Cameron by lunch time, I would have told you it wasn't possible.

I would have been wrong.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Gonna try my hardest to remember that. Good grief Dave, you're just a horrible person.

forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.