As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    ...I'm tempted to start one called Warriors, Angels, Ninjas, Gunslingers, ETC.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I wish Cryptic would just port the Foundry system to CO. It wouldn't be a silver bullet, but it might help alleviate the content problem.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    They're too busy coming up with the next throw-away content patch.

First hideouts, which were pointless. Then vehicles which were just an attempt to get people to buy lockbox keys.

From what I've heard, basically everyone Perfect World employed was shifted to work on Neverwinter, and to call who was left on Champions a skeleton crew would be an overstatement.

Given how little has been done, I'd believe it. (There haven't even been any new costume sets added to the store in like nine months.)

• kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Except that the entire staff of Flying Labs was brought on and set up as Cryptic North, and were given Champions entirely in January. Presumably they're still working through the mess.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Who's Flying Labs? Have they done anything known in games before?

Pirates of the Burning Sea.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Pirates was pretty fun while it lasted. Hopefully the original Champions devs didn't leave too much of a mess to clean up.

kafziel wrote: »
    Except that the entire staff of Flying Labs was brought on and set up as Cryptic North, and were given Champions entirely in January. Presumably they're still working through the mess.

I have noticed that since January they have actually started implementing small amounts of new content--some more group missions, and they're even adding some more powers to the Telepathy framework (or adding a whole new framework? I couldn't tell).

edited June 2013
    Here's the info on Telepathy.
    CO.com wrote:
    Greetings Champions!

New powers are coming to the Telepathy Set, and I wanted to take a second to talk about them and what role they fill in Champions!

First off, we should talk about the powers themselves:

Shadow of Doubt: Deals Ego Damage for 6 seconds to the targets and Interrupts the targets. When Shadow of Doubt expires it applies Regret to the target. This power causes the target to deal 5% less damage per stack of Regret. This effect stacks up to 10 times.

Mental Leech: Deals Ego Damage for 6 seconds to the targets and Interrupts the targets. When Mental Leech expires it applies Dependency to the target. This power heals allies near the foe for each stack of Dependency. This effect stacks up to 10 times.

Mental Storm: Deals Ego Damage for 16 seconds to the targets and Paralyzes the targets. When Mental Storm expires it applies Stress to the target. This power causes -5% Ego Resistance per stack of Stress. This effect stacks up to 10 times.

Mind Break: This power deals Ego Damage to the target as well as detonating Regret, Stress, and Dependency for bonus damage. These detonations also cause bonus effects relating to the type of effect detonated.

Master of the Mind: Transform yourself into a powerful avatar of your mental strength and unleash your fury on your foes with upgraded versions of the powers listed above. (Temporary buff.)

Congress of Selves: Increases your Ego Damage over time powers as well as making you less likely to aggro enemies in the world. (Slotted passive.)

Using these powers together by rapidly casting them back to back can cause quite a bit of damage, as well as spreading some very powerful buffs and debuffs around the battlefield. Additionally the interrupts allow the player to carefully snipe bosses and protect teammates. This will bring a fast paced rotation to Telepathy that scales very well with Intellect, Presence, or even Dexterity. While these damage over time effects cannot critically strike, your critical chance and severity will still affect them!

This new Telepathy mini set will bring fast and powerful control and fluid damage dealing aspect to any existing or new telepaths out there. Players will be rewarded for timing their interrupts and managing the debuffs on their targets while they rotate through their spells. Players will have to pick the best times to Mind Break the target for a big damage spike, while maintaining the damage and debuffs on a target — helping their fellow heroes deal as much damage as possible to their now-crippled foes!

Good luck and Godspeed, Champions!

Chris “Gentleman_Crush” Meyer

Owenashi on
    That clears things up. Thanks.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The character creator is calling to me.

I'm making a character called X-Avenger and I'm going to give him Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, etc. costumes.

Actually, I'm just going to name change someone I already have and then costume it up. I don't have any desire to play him.

Also, I have lots of fun bucks, what's a good item to sell for in game moneys?

Shawnasee on
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    The character creator is calling to me.

I'm making a character called X-Avenger and I'm going to give him Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, etc. costumes.

Actually, I'm just going to name change someone I already have and then costume it up. I don't have any desire to play him.

Also, I have lots of fun bucks, what's a good item to sell for in game moneys?

Keys, maybe? I don't know what demand is like these days.

edited June 2013
    edited July 2013
    It looks like there's a new storyline coming to CO that looks to involve a TRON-ish setting.
    CO.com wrote:
    The heroes of Millennium City have faced down invasions and visitations, proving themselves in battle against aliens and Destroids alike. But now, attacked on an unexpected frontier, can they prevent a FATAL ERR0R?

There's a new lockbox coming in as well as new costume-pieces to kick off the story's prelude and some of the stuff looks pretty neat.

17693543e9d459dc82d5912d2a3a36ee1372878517.jpg
    3e06da3c96ed221e1312956e58de5dbf1372878763.jpg
    18c7248899e8bbe55c6e37d4f1982d261372878707.jpg
    The prelude to the next story arc begins today, with the launch of the SOCRATES’ Data Cache lockbox. Whatever’s about to happen has the Champions on high alert, and they’re keeping a watchful eye on everything, whether it happens in the real world or in the digital domain.

SOCRATES has released plans to a new all-digital grav bike: the Mantis. The Mantis possesses high-tech, Mark 2 powers, and comes by default with the cloaking Holographic Field and a destructive Plasma Beam. The Mantis has 7 slots total for MODs: three Weapon slots, two Defensive, and two for Support.

Can’t wait for the start of FATAL ERR0R? You can also win the Security Process be-critter, allowing you to turn into a Security Process, which can summon two Checksum Bit allies. As with all be-critters, turning into the Security Process replaces your normal abilities with its own suite of skills, and it scales in power according to your level.

The Security Process is focused on single-target ranged attacks, but also has a powerful data blast to handle multiple enemies. Its built-in travel power is Lightspeed, leaving a blue trail behind it as it runs. The costume is covered in binary, zeroes and ones scrolling constantly.

We won’t spoil the plot of the next story arc, but suffice to say that SOCRATES plays a key role. Go digital with five brand-new costume pieces, exclusive to the Data Cache! There are five costume pieces available: boots, bracers (with glow), shoulder pads, belt (with glow), and a chest piece.

EDIT: Massively.com has a couple of screenshots as well as a 'cover' for FATAL ERR0R. They also report that the start-date for the story's first mission is July 18th.

1aBHsF6.jpg
    qbkNPlE.jpg
    ZioYNO2.jpg

Owenashi on
    Lockbox only costumes?

Fuck that.

They have to do something to rationalize keeping Champions running while they work on fixing its various issues.

Still seems like kind of a dick move, though. It kind of reminds me how the CO subscriber base was screaming for new content a few months after the game first came out, and Cryptic's response was to produce Vibora Bay and sell it separately (the resulting shitstorm convinced them to release it for free).

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    At least you can turn off the incredibly annoying lockbox opening spam now though. Or so I was told. I hope you can, it's what made me drop every single PW game for the last +year.

Lockbox only costumes?

Fuck that.

They have to do something to rationalize keeping Champions running while they work on fixing its various issues.

Still seems like kind of a dick move, though. It kind of reminds me how the CO subscriber base was screaming for new content a few months after the game first came out, and Cryptic's response was to produce Vibora Bay and sell it separately (the resulting shitstorm convinced them to release it for free).

I heard it was Atari that was behind the decision to try selling VB separately, not Cryptic.

Owenashi wrote: »
    Lockbox only costumes?

Fuck that.

I heard it was Atari that was behind the decision to try selling VB separately, not Cryptic.

It wouldn't surprise me.

At least PW seems to know better than to try piecemeal paid content.

Yeah, it's been basically said by Cryptic employees that Atari just didn't know how to handle being part of the MMO buisness. Either they tried to do that sort of stuff like VB or they simply didn't bother to give Cryptic much funding if any to produce new content.

Sorry for the double-post but I just wanted to remind any players around here that FATAL ERR0R's first mission comes out today. And you'll be happy to hear that it brings a chance to earn a couple of costume pieces as well as an Action Figure without having to open the new lockbox to get them.

3b3b856120f3f44bd229cd4ce837283c1374126110.jpg
    106553adff80e03e1b3f65f8587609041374126125.jpg
    717cda5facf3bdff7993c488ade05d2a1374126088.jpg
    CO.com wrote:
    The first mission in the FATAL ERR0R story arc is now live! Talk to any SOCRATES terminal in Millennium City to enter a digital frontier in "Intranet Deployment", save the Champions' supercomputer from being hacked, and earn exclusive costume pieces and an Action Figure.

Every run, heroes are guaranteed to earn Resources at the same level as a GRAB alert at the end of the instance. In addition, for completing the daily mission attached to it, heroes will earn 500 Questionite Ore, plus some XP and Resources. Heroes can only face the challenge of the "Intranet Deployment" mission and instance once per day, so make sure you log in every day during this story arc.

In addition, heroes have a chance at the exclusive SOCRATES Process Helmet, SOCRATES Virus Helmet, and Computer Virus AF. This adorable AF is modeled after the viruses hacking SOCRATES — so, careful, he bites.

The two helmets are the same pieces used in the Security Processes and Viruses in the mission. Both of them have a glow that you can set.

edited July 2013
    Level layout is pretty uninspired, but I have to say aesthetically the Fatal Error mission is shockingly pretty, at least by the standards of Champions Online. I love the "trees".

...aaaaand they added an emote pack you buy. FFS.

EDIT: Since they didn't add anything new (and seriously, is there anything that needs as much work in Champions as the sound and music?), have some mood music for the Fatal Error mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4eccPBFEjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRoRt155mA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvwC_lxjiA8

EDIT 2: Got the action figure to drop on my third run.

Shadowen on
    edited July 2013
    Got the Process helmet on attempt number 10. And a duplicate on attempt number 11. And a third on attempt number 18. Seems to be a relatively high drop rate for such things.

Another issue with the Fatal Error mission: they created a whole new category of enemy, but no perk for killing X numbers of it. Those are easily the most grindy of the achievements for CO, but some people doubtless have them. (If only because grinding on Serpent Lantern is the most efficient means of getting questionite, all of my characters have Snake Charmer, for example.) Since it's a limited-time mission, probably it wouldn't make sense to give it the full kill-5000 tree, but I'd think that going the Nemesis route of killing 10, then 100, then 1000 would be fine.

EDIT: And a fourth Process helmet on attempt number 24...and a Virus helmet on attempt number 28!

Statistically insignificant, but that's 3.5% drop rate for the figure and the Virus helmet, and 14% for the Process helmet.

Whatever, I'm done with the first Fatal Error mission. It quickly grew old.

Shadowen on
    The second mission for FATAL ERR0R is going live on Thursday. Possible prizes this time include two action figures and a new pair of swank boots.

706f221315492e75dd7bf5b7127e223d1375230188.jpg

• tricontricon Registered User regular
    So after Perfect World posted a new Infographic about NWO, biffsmackwell (mod) posted one for CO.

co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=235491
    Originally Posted by x0y1 View Post
    Infographic STO: http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=809441
    Infographic NWO: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=949011
    Infographic CoX: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/28/ci...ographic-form/
    Infographic CO: *beep* fatal error *404*
    What? No Champs infographic? Let's rectify!

ChampionsOnlineInfographic.png

Quite funny.

Smackwell is a friend of mine and I have to say he is really a cool and funny guy (who works way, way too much and seems to have no free time).

edited August 2013
    Boots GET.

Now if only the helmet would drop from the first mission.

Huh. It's been awhile since I've leveled up a character. Did they nerf Smash alert rewards? Because I remember being able to level up once at the end of each alert up until, say, level 20. Now I'm getting half a level per run at level 9.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

So what happens if i turn my previous paid characters into silver characters? What are the long term consequences? if I re-up, can i turn them back into real heroes rather than these sorta dorky templates?

Nosf wrote: »
    So what happens if i turn my previous paid characters into silver characters? What are the long term consequences? if I re-up, can i turn them back into real heroes rather than these sorta dorky templates?

I know they used to be locked in as silver characters back when the system was first implemented. I don't know how it works now.

Whoops. Turns out I did something wrong when creating my Neverwinter account, which linked my PWE account to a new account, "wiping" all my Champions Online and, I assume, STO characters (and any purchases made).
    At least they know what caused it and can fix it, I guess. I shan't cry over the loss of a level 10 NWN character.

So today they added a new power subset. Without any buildup, fanfare, or other warning (though there were probably some notices on the test server; I don't use the test server), six energy sword powers were added., including an energy builder and a stackable buff.

Even when they do things right, they do it wrong.

edited August 2013
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So today they added a new power subset. Without any buildup, fanfare, or other warning (though there were probably some notices on the test server; I don't use the test server), six energy sword powers were added., including an energy builder and a stackable buff.

Even when they do things right, they do it wrong.

Oh, we've known about this on test for a while now.

It's hugely underwhelming and manages to turn the few simple energy sword powers (which while not a dynamic melee set, were a completely serviceable one) into a convoluted rotation that is neither fun nor effective.

-edit-

They did try to address complaints actually, the final rotation is orders of magnitude less convoluted than what they originally had (which involved something like 4-5 different attacks that each built stacks of something used by the next thing) and they got rid of the god-forsaken variable charge rate attack and flattened out the charge time.

It's mind boggling that someone thought an attack that needed to be fully charged would be "better" if the charge time varied slightly based on how many stacks of the previous attack you had built up.

It's like they only look at spreadsheets. Yes, on paper, technically, having that slightly reduced charge time is more dps.

In the real world, where people are trying to deal with this fucking rotation, having an attack that doesn't charge up consistently is a net dps loss every single time. The .1, .2, .3 second "benefit" translates into what at times becomes a full second of "wait wtf am i doing now?"

Proof they don't actually playtest any of this.

Regina Fong on
    And now the anniversary celebration.

So far, from what I've seen, there are...two new action figures. That's everything. That's all of it.

At least they didn't turn the anniversary gifts into lockboxes.

Oh MMO bios, never change. <3

CO_Ezip.png

I will grant that "apple of edam" is pretty clever, even if he spelt Edom improperly.

lLDRsOV.png

edited September 2013
    I'm not going to joke about terrible character designs and bios, because I made a Trogdor ripoff using the Inferno archetype, and just put a few lines from the song lyrics in as bio (I was unable to find a shirt that completely obscured the body but left the arms free, so he had these strips of disturbingly pink skin up the sides of his torso), and yet when the time came to choose I didn't give him Fire Breath.

That's not even excusable from a gameplay standpoint; a ranged maintained AoE attack that allows you to move around while using it is the heart and soul of leveling ranged DPS in this game.

Shadowen on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    So I am playing this game now. I have a month's worth of Gold.

I am enjoying tinkering around with builds more than I am enjoying playing the game, but I enjoy the builds A LOT and the game just okay so this is all good.

I'm looking for a decent heal to pair with my Ice tank (okay I know this is not all that efficient but hey) to replace the toggle from Power Armour that removes by ability to do ANYTHING while it is running.

He's got Sparkstorm with the 'make it a toggle' advantage (which lets me keep aggro when the Power Armour heal toggle is running), Vile Cyclone with the 'pull enemies in' advantage, Invulnerability and the click buff that goes with it, and a bunch of Ice powers. Con as a main superstat, Endurance and Recovery as secondaries. It is all over the place, but lots of fun.

Any suggestions on streamlining the build some?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Kay wrote: »
    So I am playing this game now. I have a month's worth of Gold.

I am enjoying tinkering around with builds more than I am enjoying playing the game, but I enjoy the builds A LOT and the game just okay so this is all good.

I'm looking for a decent heal to pair with my Ice tank (okay I know this is not all that efficient but hey) to replace the toggle from Power Armour that removes by ability to do ANYTHING while it is running.

He's got Sparkstorm with the 'make it a toggle' advantage (which lets me keep aggro when the Power Armour heal toggle is running), Vile Cyclone with the 'pull enemies in' advantage, Invulnerability and the click buff that goes with it, and a bunch of Ice powers. Con as a main superstat, Endurance and Recovery as secondaries. It is all over the place, but lots of fun.

Any suggestions on streamlining the build some?

The power armor heal is pretty much the worst heal in the game. Go with Bionic Shielding instead, and drop the Invuln-linked clickie. Invulnerability combined with a heal, gear/slots, and the appropriate specialties will basically make you completely invincible against mobs.