As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can You [chat] Your Way Out of a Bad Situation?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    At what point did 'gamers' become this sort of cliched, women hating stereotype? Or has that always been kind of a thing?

On a related note, the only time that really bothered me in regards to a female in a video game was with Metroid: Other M with the total destruction of Samus' character. Ok, yes, technically before that she was a silent protagonist but there is no way in hell that you could conceivably get that portrayal from the past games. Come the fuck on.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    But seriously, which is going to get you laid more: shapeshifting or teleportation?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, status report on sexism in the gaming community.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Situation report:

Thread Recycle: page 100.
    We keep you safe.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    At what point did 'gamers' become this sort of cliched, women hating stereotype? Or has that always been kind of a thing?

On a related note, the only time that really bothered me in regards to a female in a video game was with Metroid: Other M with the total destruction of Samus' character. Ok, yes, technically before that she was a silent protagonist but there is no way in hell that you could conceivably get that portrayal from the past games. Come the fuck on.

Shut up, broad.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    whatsherface's videos being boring is pretty hilarious to me

after all the frothing over the kickstarter it turns out to be... mostly meh and they're really the only ones who care

that's great

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    But seriously, which is going to get you laid more: shapeshifting or teleportation?
    if you teleport, you can't even have a sweet car

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    my ideal body is my body because i am comfortable in my own skin you insecure fucks

Gooey has the softest skin since he uses only the best lotions.

When are you stopping by NZ btw? Actually, don't answer that here, wouldn't want a public record to make the other posters jealous.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shapeshifting is obviously the best power.

I may be a tad biased.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

always been a thing. And, if you haven't already watched the Extra Credits video on Metroid: Other M, please do so. It showcases how she had a character even though she was a silent protagonist.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It's always kind of been a thing because games have long been a male dominated industry and hobby.

Of course there is also the need to draw the line between people that play videogames casually (practically everyone these days, my mom owns a DS for the Layton games, tons of people play games on their tablets or smarphones, etc), people that play videogames as a hobby (a good chunk of people) and "gamers."

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Though on the other hand I alread have that power.

It is just woefully slow.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The people who claim that videogames are supposed to be fun so that makes it okay for all the characters to be really goddamn stereotypical grinds my gears.

• Options

Teleportation will get you laid less than shapeshifting, but more than neither shapeshifting nor teleportation and without nearly as many creepy and terribly rapey overtones.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    whatsherface's videos being boring is pretty hilarious to me

after all the frothing over the kickstarter it turns out to be... mostly meh and they're really the only ones who care

that's great
    If I was teaching a high school level class on pervasiveness of gender roles in media, I might use some of her stuff to set the stage. Its understandable, and it uses references lots of people will get.

But it is by no means comprehensive, or worthy of anger. She says absolutely NOTHING that is controversial.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    bleeeeeeh

still don't feel so hot

but i gotta do work tomorrow

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Oh I know. Also haven't, gonna see it now!

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    if you teleport, you can't even have a sweet car

Unless you could teleport the car with you.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    k.a. applegate did another series called everworld that sounds weird as shit too
    Jalil Sherman: The scientist and sole African-American of the group, he wants to find the "software" on which Everworld runs and control it. In the real world, Jalil is obsessive-compulsive, but in Everworld, he is unaffected. His disorder is a secret to the rest of the group for a majority of the series. Senna however knows of his condition and was able to temporarily cure it while the two were in the Old World, on the condition he would swear to serve her.

i loved that series

the knights of the round table try and stab loki to death, with mixed results

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Can I teleport other things?

Oh look your underwear moved three feet to the left.

• Options
    Has there ever been a comic run that was just about a shapeshifter working solo? It feels like there are so many cool things you could do with that.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Let's be honest. ANY superpower is going to get you hella laid, so long as you aren't an idiot and hide your superpower from the world.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I may be a tad biased.

If powers are relatively common, aka XMen, I'd opt for Rogue's power.

Other people's powers are the best powers.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

I may be a tad biased.

Maybe you already have a power-leech power, but you're the only superhuman in the world.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my superpower is that i am fast at sex

laaaaadies

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Let's be honest. ANY superpower is going to get you hella laid, so long as you aren't an idiot and hide your superpower from the world.

yeah, but you may be limited by the proclivities of your partners

like Marrow's power for instance

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    my superpower is that i am fast at sex

laaaaadies

"Efficiency is the key to the 21st century" - the motto to no condom ever

• Options
    SammyF wrote: »

Teleportation will get you laid less than shapeshifting, but more than neither shapeshifting nor teleportation and without nearly as many creepy and terribly rapey overtones.

That's...an interesting ethical concept. I mean, if you are a shapeshifter and you shapeshift in order to attract someone, is that necessarily more dishonest or manipulative than how people change themselves to attract someone normally?

• Options

That's...an interesting ethical concept. I mean, if you are a shapeshifter and you shapeshift in order to attract someone, is that necessarily more dishonest or manipulative than how people change themselves to attract someone normally?

Depends. Can you maintain that form indefinitely? Do you revert to a "true" form if, say, you fall asleep or stop concentrating?

BTW, I had a fanfictiony idea in mind for Mystique once that dealt with questions of personal identity among shapeshifters

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

I may be a tad biased.

Maybe you already have a power-leech power, but you're the only superhuman in the world.

Wow.

That's some twilight zone level mindfuckery right there, Feral.

Like the episode with the only beautiful woman who lives in a world where everyone else is grotesquely hideous, and she is therefore considered ugly according to the societal norm.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    the tropes videos are so boring to me. i don't know a lot about critical theory- or its vernacular, i guess- so i'm not one of those people who's like "yeah i know all this, so what, old pool"

but it's just so tv tropey and uninteresting- nothing imaginative, no powerful arguments to sum up the examples, no ideas

it's just like a mostly impartial video essay presented in an annoying framework with the tv tropes-ness of it

which i'm sure has some value for some people

but i find it tragically uncompelling

• Options
    I would maybe hide my superpower from the world, but sure as hell not from the ladies

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I may be a tad biased.

Wow.

That's some twilight zone level mindfuckery right there, Feral.

Like the episode with the only beautiful woman who lives in a world where everyone else is grotesquely hideous, and she is therefore considered ugly according to the societal norm.

That must have been the weirdest accident that caused that.

And it happened more than once.

Or those plastic surgeons sucked really badly.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options

Depends. Can you maintain that form indefinitely? Do you revert to a "true" form if, say, you fall asleep or stop concentrating?

BTW, I had a fanfictiony idea in mind for Mystique once that dealt with questions of personal identity among shapeshifters

If you're a shapeshifter who self-identifies with the form you consciously choose to take, does it matter if you have some "true form" that you don't have any control over?

Shapeshifter identity politics, man.

• Options
    if I was a shapeshifter I would probably never tire of doing the gag of shapeshifting into someone hideous when she wakes up in the morning and then going nah just kidding

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    k.a. applegate did another series called everworld that sounds weird as shit too
    Jalil Sherman: The scientist and sole African-American of the group, he wants to find the "software" on which Everworld runs and control it. In the real world, Jalil is obsessive-compulsive, but in Everworld, he is unaffected. His disorder is a secret to the rest of the group for a majority of the series. Senna however knows of his condition and was able to temporarily cure it while the two were in the Old World, on the condition he would swear to serve her.

i loved that series

the knights of the round table try and stab loki to death, with mixed results

EVERWORLD RULLLLLLLLLLLES.

I wish I had finished the series but it grabbed my little pre-teen brain and shook it through and through.

Had me looking at my dreams differently and shit.

God, just thinking about that series makes me giddy.

• Options

If you're a shapeshifter who self-identifies with the form you consciously choose to take, does it matter if you have some "true form" that you don't have any control over?

There are common shared presumptions in our culture regarding dating and appearance. I figure I might see my partner without makeup, with bags under her eyes, with messy hair.

I don't really expect to wake up in the morning and find my partner covered in blue scales or a different sex entirely.

So that sort of thing deserves disclosure.

• Options
    I've never woken up and thought wow she was a lot prettier last night

mostly man she's cute when she's asleep

and not wearing that stupid fucking hat

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I don't really expect to wake up in the morning and find my partner covered in blue scales

Look, I wouldn't expect that either

But I'd be lying if I told you I wouldn't be happy about it

• Options

Yeah, barring fraud I'm kinda failing to see any ethical issues here.

Though again, bias.

Which is fucking weird in a superpower discussion let me tell you.

This discussion has been closed.