As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can You [chat] Your Way Out of a Bad Situation?

19495969798100»

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    But seriously, which is going to get you laid more: shapeshifting or teleportation?

Teleportation will get you laid less than shapeshifting, but more than neither shapeshifting nor teleportation and without nearly as many creepy and terribly rapey overtones.

That's...an interesting ethical concept. I mean, if you are a shapeshifter and you shapeshift in order to attract someone, is that necessarily more dishonest or manipulative than how people change themselves to attract someone normally?

Depends. Can you maintain that form indefinitely? Do you revert to a "true" form if, say, you fall asleep or stop concentrating?

BTW, I had a fanfictiony idea in mind for Mystique once that dealt with questions of personal identity among shapeshifters

If you're a shapeshifter who self-identifies with the form you consciously choose to take, does it matter if you have some "true form" that you don't have any control over?

Shapeshifter identity politics, man.

There are common shared presumptions in our culture regarding dating and appearance. I figure I might see my partner without makeup, with bags under her eyes, with messy hair.

I don't really expect to wake up in the morning and find my partner covered in blue scales or a different sex entirely.

So that sort of thing deserves disclosure.

So you're saying you're a xenophobe?

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    So you're saying I shouldn't put blue scales on my partner while she sleeps?

*takes notes*

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shapeshifting is obviously the best power.

I may be a tad biased.

If powers are relatively common, aka XMen, I'd opt for Rogue's power.

Other people's powers are the best powers.

Maybe you already have a power-leech power, but you're the only superhuman in the world.

Wow.

That's some twilight zone level mindfuckery right there, Feral.

Like the episode with the only beautiful woman who lives in a world where everyone else is grotesquely hideous, and she is therefore considered ugly according to the societal norm.

That must have been the weirdest accident that caused that.

And it happened more than once.

Or those plastic surgeons sucked really badly.

There was a reddit meme today about trix cereal going from fruit shapes to regular balls.

The meme was basically "what if Trix really are for kids and we can't see the magical shapes anymore because we're old?"

Mind.
    Blown.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    ugh 31 in here with the AC on, how am I suspsoed to sleep before work

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    At what point did 'gamers' become this sort of cliched, women hating stereotype? Or has that always been kind of a thing?

On a related note, the only time that really bothered me in regards to a female in a video game was with Metroid: Other M with the total destruction of Samus' character. Ok, yes, technically before that she was a silent protagonist but there is no way in hell that you could conceivably get that portrayal from the past games. Come the fuck on.

It's always kind of been a thing because games have long been a male dominated industry and hobby.

Of course there is also the need to draw the line between people that play videogames casually (practically everyone these days, my mom owns a DS for the Layton games, tons of people play games on their tablets or smarphones, etc), people that play videogames as a hobby (a good chunk of people) and "gamers."

If you want to use "gamers" as a derogatory term for "people who are fucking assholes and play videogames", sure.

I have a simpler solution that drawing those lines those though.

Just call them fucking assholes

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Harrumph. I need to figure out what to get to make dinner.

I made a Greek salad and chicken enchiladas. It is not a traditional pairing. But it is a good one.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Has there ever been a comic run that was just about a shapeshifter working solo? It feels like there are so many cool things you could do with that.

I'm sure there have been but I believe were-things were pretty verboten during the silver age of comics so there hasn't been one big enough to enter the popular conscious.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    that's the only shit I will talk about the girl I was with earlier this year: I hated her hat

ftOqU21.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    the tropes videos are so boring to me. i don't know a lot about critical theory- or its vernacular, i guess- so i'm not one of those people who's like "yeah i know all this, so what, old pool"

but it's just so tv tropey and uninteresting- nothing imaginative, no powerful arguments to sum up the examples, no ideas

it's just like a mostly impartial video essay presented in an annoying framework with the tv tropes-ness of it

which i'm sure has some value for some people

but i find it tragically uncompelling

I might argue that the power comes from the sheer barrage of examples. She doesn't really let up. One example, or two? "oh, those are tragic". 15? 20? 50? ...

I think associating it with tvtropes is deeply unfair, because the word "trope" has been around for a long time.

If the situation were slightly different; say, if
    a) the site had been "tv-trans" and it collected examples of trans culture in the media and
    b) the video series focused on the same sort of thing

then would your post read the same way? "annoying framework with the tv-trans-ness of it"?

Yeah, she's not a flashy presenter, but I don't know if being flashy would help in this case. Nor do I really know what level she's talking on - like inqui said, is it really feminism 101?

but I found the videos reasonable

Wind Waker aged so damn well. Love that game.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Has there ever been a comic run that was just about a shapeshifter working solo? It feels like there are so many cool things you could do with that.

I'm sure there have been but I believe were-things were pretty verboten during the silver age of comics so there hasn't been one big enough to enter the popular conscious.

Uh?

The Hulk.

But anyway, I don't mean were-things, I mean Mystique-type shapeshifters.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i will mirrors all the edges because i wanna drop kick the police

@desc @desc @desc

also

my ideal body would probably be 4 twerking

obF2Wuw.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    But seriously, which is going to get you laid more: shapeshifting or teleportation?

Teleportation will get you laid less than shapeshifting, but more than neither shapeshifting nor teleportation and without nearly as many creepy and terribly rapey overtones.

That's...an interesting ethical concept. I mean, if you are a shapeshifter and you shapeshift in order to attract someone, is that necessarily more dishonest or manipulative than how people change themselves to attract someone normally?

Depends. Can you maintain that form indefinitely? Do you revert to a "true" form if, say, you fall asleep or stop concentrating?

BTW, I had a fanfictiony idea in mind for Mystique once that dealt with questions of personal identity among shapeshifters

If you're a shapeshifter who self-identifies with the form you consciously choose to take, does it matter if you have some "true form" that you don't have any control over?

Yeah, barring fraud I'm kinda failing to see any ethical issues here.

Though again, bias.

Which is fucking weird in a superpower discussion let me tell you.

Let's say that instead of changing my physical shape, I went around dressed in a U.S. Navy Master Chief's uniform and "reluctantly" confided to women that I was the Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama Bin Laden (disclosure, I am not the Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama Bin Laden).

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Trix had fruit shapes?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Though again, bias.

Let's say that instead of changing my physical shape, I went around dressed in a U.S. Navy Master Chief's uniform and "reluctantly" confided to women that I was the Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama Bin Laden (disclosure, I am not the Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama Bin Laden).
    but what if you are

take me

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Oh, looks like Trix introduced the fruit shapes in 1992.

When I was a kid, Trix were just balls.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Though again, bias.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

There is always he-she.
    N56EGOL.jpg

Oh, looks like Trix introduced the fruit shapes in 1992.

When I was a kid, Trix were just balls.

Or. OR.

You were born old.

Gim wrote: »
    You were born old.

This is a viable hypothesis consistent with other data.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Sarksus will create the new thread
    @Quid is backup

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    i-CPBgJkK.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.