As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: The Gathering] Duels: Origins. A colon here, a colon there.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure I'll be grabbing this on my tablet but I might grab it on steam as well. Can't wait.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    When is the release date for this?

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    June 26.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    What decks are people thinking about unlocking/playing first? I'm thinking either Garruk or Chandra.

Dracomancer or Dimir. Unless the other monoblack is available day one.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited June 2013
    Ajani's Monowhite and after that Dracomancer.

Seidkona on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I played Standard for a year and a half and won one match. I think Ill stick with DotP, and I'm glad it has Sealed because Sealed is a blast.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    Dracomancer or Dimir. Unless the other monoblack is available day one.

Pumped for both of these as well. Is there going to be another monoblack deck? I've heard some people mention a demons-themed deck, but I assumed all the decks have been announced already?
    Entaru wrote: »
    Ajani's Monowhite and after that Dracomancer.

Also excited for these. There's so much variety in Dracomancer, I'll be really interested to see the different ways people build the deck.

edited June 2013
    It was leaked. Most likely in the first DLC pack.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited June 2013
    Just like the previous version we are gonna get promo unlocks for the decks: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29981069/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List_for_Magic_2014?pg=1
    List of promotional unlock cards

Avacyn’s Glory
    ====================
    Baneslayer Angel
    Path to Exile
    Knight of the White Orchid
    Sunblast Angel
    Dearly Departed
    Devout Invocation
    Honor of the Pure
    Champion of the Parish
    Geist-Honored Monk
    Increasing Devotion

Chant of Mul Daya
    ====================
    Avenger of Zendikar
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Summoning Trap
    Harmonize
    It That Betrays
    Dramatic Entrance
    Primeval Titan
    Fierce Empath
    Gaea's Revenge
    All is Dust

Deadwalkers
    ====================
    Grave Titan
    Reanimate
    Undead Warchief
    Demon of Death's Gate
    Gravespawn Sovereign
    Nightmare
    Rise of the Dark Realms
    Death Cloud
    Graveborn Muse

Enter the Dracomancer
    ====================
    Crucible of Fire
    Savage Twister
    Dragon Roost
    Explosive Vegetation
    Kilnmouth Dragon
    Dragon Broodmother
    Explosive Vegetation
    Maelstrom Pulse
    Archwing Dragon
    Sneak Attack

Firewave
    ====================
    Furnace of Rath
    Slith Firewalker
    Stormblood Berserker
    Relentless Assault
    Cyclops Gladiator
    Flame Wave
    Flameblast Dragon
    Browbeat
    Disintegrate
    Cone of Flame

Guardians of Light
    ====================
    Seraph of the Sword
    Angelic Destiny
    Kor Spiritdancer
    Nomad Mythmaker
    Daybreak Coronet
    True Conviction
    Three Dreams
    Armored Ascension
    Sigil of the New Dawn
    Greater Auramancy

Hunter's Strength
    ====================
    Fauna Shaman
    Rampaging Baloths
    Pulse of the Tangle
    Protean Hulk
    Decree of Savagery
    Vigor
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Vorapede
    Crush of Wurms
    Terastodon

Masks of the Dimir
    ====================
    Colossal Whale
    Spinal Embrace
    Reins of Power
    Shadowborn Demon
    Evil Twin
    Ghastlord of Fugue
    Followed Footsteps
    Painful Quandary
    Hollowborn Barghest
    Commandeer

Mind Maze
    ====================
    Sphinx of Magosi
    Counterspell
    Mirror-Mad Phantasm
    Mind Control
    Force of Will
    Temporal Mastery
    Chronozoa
    Cryptic Command
    Snapcaster Mage
    Time Reversal

Sliver Hive
    ====================
    Coat of Arms
    Titanic Ultimatum
    Megantic Sliver
    Thorncaster Sliver
    Unflinching Courage
    Shared Animosity
    Mirror Entity
    Inferno
    Faith's Fetters
    Indestructibility

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I think I might get this on my ipad, not sure yet. I've really enjoyed the previous releases on PC. I love MtG but am unwilling to pay for the insane rolling cost of the actual card game. I miss deck building, but whatever. Though on the plus side they let you modify decks and there are so many of them each year, I find myself not really caring too much.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I think I might get this on my ipad, not sure yet. I've really enjoyed the previous releases on PC. I love MtG but am unwilling to pay for the insane rolling cost of the actual card game. I miss deck building, but whatever. Though on the plus side they let you modify decks and there are so many of them each year, I find myself not really caring too much.

DotP is really well done, it gets better and better every year, just don't get suckered in by the FNM promos.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I look forward to someone posting all the codes for the promos so that I have to do nothing.

liEt3nH.png
    I look forward to someone posting all the codes for the promos so that I have to do nothing.

I was more referring to snagging the free promo foil at fun filled FNM venues, but you bring up an excellent point.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Cantido wrote: »
    I played Standard for a year and a half and won one match. I think Ill stick with DotP, and I'm glad it has Sealed because Sealed is a blast.

Not even shitting you, depending upon your previous experience in Magic, one and a half years is not long enough to learn everything you need to perform consistently well in Standard. Like, actually learning how metagames evolve each rotation is part of that knowledge so you can't even learn it in a year. (EDIT: If you're starting off from essentially little to no knowledge of Standard mind you.)

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas

They added a sealed mode this year.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited June 2013

Not even shitting you, depending upon your previous experience in Magic, one and a half years is not long enough to learn everything you need to perform consistently well in Standard. Like, actually learning how metagames evolve each rotation is part of that knowledge so you can't even learn it in a year. (EDIT: If you're starting off from essentially little to no knowledge of Standard mind you.)

And I don't want to mention the money spend in that time period.

Cantido on
    edited June 2013
    From the WotC forums:
    "Our teams worked hard over the weekend to ensure that this update can be released later tonight (night of June 24). This will allow you to hop into the store tonight ahead of tomorrow’s store update post, and pick up your purchases prior to the Tuesday downtime. Since this is an early update, be sure to take advantage of any current sales now, while you can. We recognize that Tuesdays aren’t the best day for these, but it was required. As noted, we did our best to ease the pain that this may cause."

It was made available on PS3 earlier. Of course, PSN is going on maintenance asap so grab it as soon as you can.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited June 2013
    The android version has a limited demo built into it. you get three decks, the single player campaign and the sealed tournament mode but the rest is locked behind a full game purchase.

Which is cool because it means I can play it before payday.

Seidkona on

The game is a good example of planned obsolescence.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Note that you can only play it twice; then you have to pay for each slot to start a new sealed pool. They don't let you delete them.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Note that you can only play it twice; then you have to pay for each slot to start a new sealed pool. They don't let you delete them.

Given what's been possible in previous games, I suspect that this will not be technically true on the PC version.

• ShadowOfHyliaShadowOfHylia Registered User regular

DotP is really well done, it gets better and better every year, just don't get suckered in by the FNM promos.

I did last time. >_> I really wanted the foil Frost Titan! I was collecting the titans! :3 I think that was the magic 2012 promo. I can't remember. They switch blocks out of standard so often, my wallet got tired of being abused and now holds a deep seated hatred within the folds of it's cheap interior.

• WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just picked this up this morning on the PS3, seems nice (EDIT: Looks crisper, still 720p though). Haven't tried sealed play yet.

Pros: the phase timer moves faster, makes turns a bit quicker.

Cons: The program navigation isn't as intuitive as it once was, but it seems to load quicker. It's a little more difficult to parse the player data (Life points, deck size, hand size...) and you have to specifically navigate to "planeswalker duels" separately from the campaign, which is a little odd.

Seems like there's a fair number of new cards so the encounters/decks have some novel mechanics that weren't in last year's version. Overall a good pickup :)

Whacktose on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    *play stupid fable 3 for 10 mins... Check marketplace, damn!!*
    Repeat.
    That's how my night is going right now.

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Zephos wrote: »
    Repeat.

Unlocks at noon tomorrow/today (11 hours) on Steam :(

edited June 2013
    Repeat.

Check in like 6 hours.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    I am impatiently waiting for this to download on my Nexus 7. 1.2 gigs is kind of huge for a tablet game.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Repeat.

Check in like 6 hours.

By which you might mean 11.

I can handle different release dates. I'm not sure I can handle different release hours. Seems kind of silly. But I suppose Steam and Xbox Live and whatever the PS3 version is called are three separate digital stores that don't actually have to synch up perfectly.

WotanAnubis on

I did last time. >_> I really wanted the foil Frost Titan! I was collecting the titans! :3 I think that was the magic 2012 promo. I can't remember. They switch blocks out of standard so often, my wallet got tired of being abused and now holds a deep seated hatred within the folds of it's cheap interior.

It's aggravating how expensive it is.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I picked this up on my iPad.

Doing the tutorial levels first, because I'm OCD.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    So Andriod doesn't have online multiplayer? I guess that means it's the PC version for me.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    So Andriod doesn't have online multiplayer? I guess that means it's the PC version for me.

Heh, the condition to unlock one of the avatars on Android is "Play an online match between midnight and 1:00 a.m. local console time." I'm not sure if this means online is planned, or if the developers were just sloppy.

edited June 2013
    Well, I don't have enough funbucks for the XBL version. I will get it on Steam next week.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

I dislike how you have to do the encounters this time around. And they tuned the red deck way down.

So far the rest of the decks I have tried flow pretty decently.

Still waiting to try sealed.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Played a bit at lunch. Wow, they really streamlined the duel interface. And holy bajesus do things move faster now. A good change IMO.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Now that I've got Duels on Steam, I dipped my toe into multiplayer.

And the first person I played against discontinued about halfway through. I can only assume it wasn't a ragequit since we were pretty evenly matched at that point.

Oh well. Easy cheevo, I guess.

• pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Anyone got the promo unlock codes? Or a link to said codes?

None are available.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

None are available.

Are they going to be fnm stuff this time too?