As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - The thread is going down! Abandon thread, abandon thread!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This is the one I have.

I love it, gives my 30 inch plus two 24 inch monitors and pc and modem/router about 15 minutes of uptime during power outages (which happen all too often in my area), and hooks up via usb to the computer and can shutdown the computer automatically after a certain amount of time on battery.

But as iRevert said, the next person will say APC. :)

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    iRevert wrote: »
    APC or Cyberpower

Personally I'd go with APC but the next person will say Cyberpower so it's potato/potatoe

either are good.

Just about any UPS sized for your computer will have 8-10 outlets, with half being battery/surge and the rest just being surge protected. so you don't really have to worry about that.

What you are going to need to do is figure out the wattage draw of the things you want to plug into it so you know what size to buy.
    And then decide how long you want it to run when the power does go out, as the more VA you want, the more expensive it gets.

For reference, a 900W 1500VA UPS will run about 3 minutes at full power draw, but you probably aren't going to be loading a UPS to it's limit, so you get a little more time then that.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    I bought a killawatt for like eight bucks.

plug a strip running all the stuff you want on your UPS and load it all up to a full realistic load and check the numbers.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    What is the starting point that one goes to when you want to watercool a graphics card? I just got a new 770, but have heard of some 770 with a watercooler already installed? Or can i go about it myself?

To get watercooled graphics will take a bit of doing.

You can absolutely do so yourself, although it'll be some effort and cost.

If you've already got the card the only option on the table is going for a custom loop. At the most basic this means buying a kit and then grabbing a spare block for the GPU(since all the kits i've seen are basic CPU block kits)

While i am all for more people getting into watercooling first you gotta ask yourself why you want in on that. Silent running? bling bling? more cooling for a higher OC? The stock air cooler on your card will absolutely do its job most of the time so if you want to get more advanced than that be sure of why you're going into that.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Is it worth it to 'upgrade' to a IPv6 capable router? What about a cable modem? The one Charter is 'loaning' me seems ok, but if power goes out I have to completely cycle it or else it won't re-grab my IP address and it's effing annoying. Then again I suppose I could put it on the UPS that I'll be getting eventually.. Though it's one of those AC adapters where the 'brick' part is on the end so I'm not sure how feasible that would be, either. Fungah!

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    If you plan to keep your internet for more than a year or so, you'll save money by buying a cable modem vs leasing it from the cable company. Not to mention it will probably be better equipment. The IPv6 capability is pointless for now, but any modem you buy will have it anyway.

I'd get the Motorola 6120, 6121, or 6141. From an end-user perspective they're essentially identical. You'll be tempted to get one with a wireless router built in, but don't. The router they build in is pretty bad and you'd be better off with with pretty much anything else.

a5ehren on
    AFAIK there is no cost to lease the modem, but I'll have to double check on that. Also the modem they've given me is the Motorola SB 6121 (dunno if that's the same one as you listed, but I assume it is?). Also my router doesn't support IPv6 but chances are it'll be a loooong time before that becomes necessary.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can get into the Admin settings on the router and tell it to go looking for firmware updates. There's a good chance those will help solve your problems. I had to do that on my Asus N56U and now it's running solid.

From the looks of it (actually from an old thread of mine) I would have to do some pretty complex rigging. Chances are if/when I have to use IPv6 I'll just get a new router.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Crap, i think i screwed up in what i bought ram wise.

Can you run 1866 ram at 1600? Because my mobo, that i thought can go up to 1866, can only run up to 1600.

yeah just set it to 1600 and it'll go fine.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    thank you so much, i was about to lose my mind

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    GTX 760 Review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review

$250 option. Overall performance about the same as the outgoing 670, for $100 less.

edited June 2013
    Nvidia giving us better cheaper cards

This is bizaro land but I like it

Also it looks like it still retains tri sli compatability

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So I cleaned out my computer the other day: Took out each component so I could clean them out and blow the dust out of the heat sinks.

Since I pulled the heat sink off the CPU, I cleaned off the remnants of the thermal pad (it was 5 years old an probably needing to be replaced anyway.) Then I lay down some Arctic Silver 5 in the center-dot method.

So my question is, how do I know that I applied it correctly? CPU is running at 50 degrees idle, which seems a little high, but some websites suggests there is a "burn in" period before the grease starts working right. I suppose I could just pull off the sink again, and see if it spread far enough with the method I used (then clean and reapply, of course.)

Do you guys have any suggestions?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Damn, that 760 is looking reeeaaally tempting at that price point. I wish I could get $ price over here in £land, it'd be a no brainer at that point.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So I cleaned out my computer the other day: Took out each component so I could clean them out and blow the dust out of the heat sinks.

Since I pulled the heat sink off the CPU, I cleaned off the remnants of the thermal pad (it was 5 years old an probably needing to be replaced anyway.) Then I lay down some Arctic Silver 5 in the center-dot method.

So my question is, how do I know that I applied it correctly? CPU is running at 50 degrees idle, which seems a little high, but some websites suggests there is a "burn in" period before the grease starts working right. I suppose I could just pull off the sink again, and see if it spread far enough with the method I used (then clean and reapply, of course.)

The type of CPU you have probably will make a difference in this discussion.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Damn...looking at completed eBay listings for my current card (MSI GTX 670 Power Edition)...I could probably sell that baby used, buy a 760, and actually make a small profit if I wanted to, which is nuts.

As long as you didn't use more than approx a grain of rice (or is it half that now?), you should be fine. Using the center dot method, you def won't get all four corners of the spreader, but you will be assured it's on the hottest parts of the spreader.

As you said, the only option is to remove the heatsink and reapply. In the past, I've put a (very) small amount on the spreader and used a flat toothpick to spread out the material. But I'm anal like that.

Considering the makeup of Arctic Silver, I don't know if there is indeed any kind of "major" burn in period. In other words, you shouldn't expect to see anything like a 10 degree drop after a while. Check this for more info:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

edited June 2013
    Yes, right: Here are my specs:

Intel 8400 Wolfdale LGA 775 on a evga 750i FTW motherboard with 4 gb 1066 ram. The heat sink is by Foxconn, I can't remember if it came with the cpu or not.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular

Yeah that sounds awfully warm for idling. That's what my Ivy Bridge runs with my 212 Evo under decent load. I'd redo it and then either use more or less paste depending on how it looks when you pull the heatsink. What were your idle temps before replacing the pad with new thermal paste?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Hm... I guess they were around 50 too. It's possible because the pad was getting old, though admittedly I didn't start obsessively staring at the temp monitor until after I cleaned every thing out.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I personally apply about a grain of rice worth of AS5, then spread it out evenly and as thin as I can with an old credit card. You can still make out the writing on the top of the cpu when I'm done. Then I fit the heatsink.

Yeah, I guess I should just pull it off and see what happened. If it didn't spread enough, I'll reapply and use the credit card to spread it. I'll let you guys know what I find.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It's been a couple of weeks and I've been too busy at work to call Crucial about my dead M4 SSD, but I finally got a chance today and they're replacing it under warranty.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Anyone have any opinions on the i5-3350P? Seems like it might be a good buy given that I wouldn't need the IGP, but maybe it's worth the $20-40 to get something with a higher clock/turbo?

I'm thinking about doing an upgrade like so:
    CPU/Mobo: i5-3350P, B75 Micro ATX
    CPU Cooler: Silverston AR01 (My Scythe Ninja won't support LGA1155, this recently got a good SPCR review)
    RAM: 8GB of whatever's cheap
    GTX 660: $200 is about my price point, something with two big fans so it can be a bit quieter

~$500 for this upgrade seems pretty decent to me.

Thoughts?

steam_sig.png
    for a budget upgrade that i5 is solid assuming you don't care about overclocking.

Given the release of the 760 if you can stretch another fifty bucks you can gt a notably better card

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Im about halfway done with my install. I discovered last night that my H50 Corsair watercooler had smudged thermal paste on it, as the clip had fallen off in the box, so i had to clean it off and self apply some new Artic Silver 5. That is the one part of installs I have always screwed up, so of course the first two times I overdid it. Disaster averted though i think.

Hopefully ill get it done with today.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The difference in performance between the 760 and 770 isn't enough to justify the price difference for my needs. I think I'm gonna swap out the 770 in my wish list and go with a 760. $150 is nothing to sneeze at.

I have to say, after owning a TRUE (monolithic air cooler), I'm supremely happy I've moved to self-contained water for CPU cooling. (currently Corsair H20).

770 v 760 is straight up 680 v 670, so the answer will be the same everyone should get 760.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Oh, awesome, Newegg has the cheaper Gigabyte motherboards now. Definitely had no interest in spending $180 for a motherboard.

• Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    Welp, I think I'm getting a 760 to replace my 560 Ti. The 760 will be much easier to sell my wife on than a 770. ;-)

steam_sig.png
    Nice. I shaved like $200-250 off. Now I have to decide if I still want to pay $169 for the Corsair 600T. A case in the $80 would be more practical but that stormtrooper look is so enticing.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    The *60 cards from Nvidia have always been a pretty strong place in the price/performance chart.

I thought about upgrading my 560ti for a bit today, but then I remembered I'm not playing anything atm that really pushes my gpu that hard. So I'll wait and maybe a sale or bundle with a game I want will come along.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Nice. I shaved like $200-250 off. Now I have to decide if I still want to pay $169 for the Corsair 600T. A case in the $80 would be more practical but that stormtrooper look is so enticing.

speaking ss a case fanatic, a good case is worth it

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    for a budget upgrade that i5 is solid assuming you don't care about overclocking.

Given the release of the 760 if you can stretch another fifty bucks you can gt a notably better card

Yeah, definitely don't care about overclocking. 760 I will have to see if any consensus comes out on noise levels.

steam_sig.png
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

As the owner of a 600T, I feel comfortable recommending that you get something else. Maybe one of the Fractal Design mid towers. The 600T is great to build in, but for the price you don't get the level of cooling you should, and it doesn't allow you to do much with the fan setup.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    So, uh, I meant to buy this, and instead bought this.

I was very confused when I opened the box, this thing is tiny. It is astounding how similar the listings are, especially the price. I didn't even know these little things existed. Can I use this on the desktop I'm building? My mobo is a Gryphon Z87.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
This discussion has been closed.